C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C6 Vette vs. STI vs. EVO

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2010, 08:04 PM
N8N8N8
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C6 Vette vs. STI vs. EVO

How does the c6 vette rank in proformance against these 2. The STI and EVO are both 4 cyc with turbos and all wheel drive. STI AND EVO are pretty much identical but when throw up again a c6 how does it rank?
Old 01-06-2010, 08:09 PM
PCMusicGuy
Safety Car

Received 295 Likes on 222 Posts

How do you want to compare them? Off road in a rally environment I'd choose the STI or Evo for sure. On the street, the little turbo cars lack torque so they are not as fun to drive unless you are always keeping the engine in the boost powerband.

Either one of the AWD cars will hook like crazy and corner very well until you reach the point they start to understeer. The vette will most likely have a higher top speed and would do pretty well on a roll race but from a standstill you will not have the traction advantage.

And the list goes on . . .
Old 01-06-2010, 08:10 PM
NYC6
Team Owner

Received 207 Likes on 155 Posts

Motortrend,Road and track, Car and driver, youtube..............................
Old 01-06-2010, 08:50 PM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,929 Likes on 4,810 Posts

Vette is faster 0-60 and in the 1/4 mile, and top end speed as well.
Old 01-06-2010, 10:57 PM
beav626
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had a modded EVO Kick my A$$ all over a road course. I was Stock LS3 no Z51 with a tune. He was slightly engine modded and heavy suspension modded.
We both knew the track well.

He did have brake problems later in the day when I did not.
Old 01-06-2010, 11:07 PM
Licit
Melting Slicks

I test drove the EVO X before deciding on my ls3 vette and the big thing I noticed was how little torque the evo has. You'd have to mod to get either the sti or evo to c6 performance numbers, a simple look at Car/Driver or Motor Trend numbers will tell you that. We're talking C6 wins 0-60, 1/4 mile, slalom, braking 70-0, skidpad g's and so on. Now the sti and evo don't even start so cheap, the evo I test drove(450 miles) was only $3000 less than my 08 vette with 7000 miles on it. So bang for the buck isn't really there as much as it used to be. It would be cheaper to mod $/hp but you simply can't fabricate torque, only overcome the lack of torque with gobs of hp. But you would hit the ceiling at some point since awd and high hp can lead to busted tranny and clutch easily.
Old 01-06-2010, 11:12 PM
SnapperDragon
Drifting

Originally Posted by beav626
I had a modded EVO Kick my A$$ all over a road course. I was Stock LS3 no Z51 with a tune. He was slightly engine modded and heavy suspension modded.

Well, non stock anything is possible.

What was happening, i.e., how were you losing? Cornering? Braking? Acceleration? All the above? Do tell...
Old 01-06-2010, 11:20 PM
sla07
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

wouldnt these be different styles of cars to compare though?...when i have seen evo's and sti's i picture more of rally cars and cars to take out in the twisties....not to say that vettes couldnt handle it but evo's and sti's are probably built to handle that style of driving moreso, no?...overall would a vette have the advantage with power, handling, speed, and/or looks even (although looks are subjective)...
Old 01-07-2010, 12:21 AM
joeycoates
Cruising

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I had a heavily modified 03 Evo and my father has a 2008 Z51 vert. I will give a little comparison, but remember my Evo was modded. One place that you will notice a difference stock to stock is the steering and running on mountain roads. The Evo has a damn near telepathic steering, it just speaks to you. Hard to explain, but if you ever drive one hard you will understand. My father complained about the steering ratio when he drove it, about 2 turns lock-to-lock which made it nervous on the street, but once you got down to running in the mountains everything just came together. This was when stock as well. The vette on the other hand just does not have that telepathic link through the wheel, not saying that it is bad, but it just does not tranmit the message with the aclarity that the Evo did. Also when in the mountains where you have gravel on the road, or the road is just not perfect, the AWD system really inspired a lot of confidence. The car bailed me out a few times when I got in way over my head. Just point the wheel where you want to go and stand on it, all four wheels just dig and pull you out. Always felt very, very confident when driving it. We used to go to Arkansas with the local Porsche club (wife uncle leads the runs) even though I was in an Evo. I remember a few times where the AWD Porsches and my Evo just ran off and hid from the 2wd cars, including some GT2's, GT3's, and a wicked RUF Boxster. They just could not put the power down like we could. The brakes on both cars are about equal, the Evo comes with some very good Brembo brakes, I only put Hawk HP+ pads, stainless lines, and high temp fluid in it. The stainless lines were more for safety, they really didn't do much and the pads were cheaper then stock from Mitsu, I never had the stockers fade. The Evo could also carry four people and luggage, the VII, VIII, and IX had very usable trunks.

Now that that is said, the Corvette has it all over the Evo everywhere else. It is quicker (a LOT quicker stock to stock), faster, higher G's and slalom, nicer, much better MPG's, and it has the cache' factor. In order to get the Evo to the performance levels on the Vette I had to do a lot, but I had it to a point where it had similar performance to a C6 Z06 before I sold it. To get it there I went through two engines though, a bad build and a bad tune. So you can basically go out and buy a C6 vette and have similar performance to what my Evo had, but have a 5yr-100,000k warranty and not have to worry about what you are going to break. Now don't get me wrong, the Evo was a hell of a lot of fun, I really,really miss it sometimes. It ran mid 11's and got out of the hole like you would not believe with the AWD, it launched HARD. But I do not miss it being down when I had holes the size of a grapefriut in my block!

I guess you can sum it up with as much as I loved my Evo (first car I ever bought new and it took me 7 months to get to where I could buy it, fell in love when I walked in the showroom) my next car is going to be a Z06. They are really neat though.
Old 01-07-2010, 12:52 AM
LMBTom
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Overall performance: Vette > Evo > STi

However, all-wheel drive cars are very easy to drive fast and are typically superior to rear-wheel drive cars if there's a lot of corners involved. I think Evos only come with 290hp in the US, but you can get a 400hp version (FQ-400) in the UK.

I'd drive em all and see what you like most

For reference:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Top_gear_test_track
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nordschleife_lap_times
Old 01-07-2010, 07:49 AM
beav626
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by SnapperDragon
Well, non stock anything is possible.

What was happening, i.e., how were you losing? Cornering? Braking? Acceleration? All the above? Do tell...
If I remember right He was all over me in the turns 10+mph faster than me. But I had the power in the straightaways. It like racing against a fast miata. Except the EVO had faster times than me by a few seconds.

As for the STI> That is the only car that seems to want to race me on the street (Even thought I like to race at the track) These cars could not touch the power of my vette.
I also no they guy who works on the STI's and he tells his customers not to mess with vettes.
Old 01-07-2010, 08:04 AM
GotVett?
Race Director

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by joeycoates
I had a heavily modified 03 Evo and my father has a 2008 Z51 vert. I will give a little comparison, but remember my Evo was modded. One place that you will notice a difference stock to stock is the steering and running on mountain roads. The Evo has a damn near telepathic steering, it just speaks to you. Hard to explain, but if you ever drive one hard you will understand. My father complained about the steering ratio when he drove it, about 2 turns lock-to-lock which made it nervous on the street, but once you got down to running in the mountains everything just came together. This was when stock as well. The vette on the other hand just does not have that telepathic link through the wheel, not saying that it is bad, but it just does not tranmit the message with the aclarity that the Evo did. Also when in the mountains where you have gravel on the road, or the road is just not perfect, the AWD system really inspired a lot of confidence. The car bailed me out a few times when I got in way over my head. Just point the wheel where you want to go and stand on it, all four wheels just dig and pull you out. Always felt very, very confident when driving it. We used to go to Arkansas with the local Porsche club (wife uncle leads the runs) even though I was in an Evo. I remember a few times where the AWD Porsches and my Evo just ran off and hid from the 2wd cars, including some GT2's, GT3's, and a wicked RUF Boxster. They just could not put the power down like we could. The brakes on both cars are about equal, the Evo comes with some very good Brembo brakes, I only put Hawk HP+ pads, stainless lines, and high temp fluid in it. The stainless lines were more for safety, they really didn't do much and the pads were cheaper then stock from Mitsu, I never had the stockers fade. The Evo could also carry four people and luggage, the VII, VIII, and IX had very usable trunks.

Now that that is said, the Corvette has it all over the Evo everywhere else. It is quicker (a LOT quicker stock to stock), faster, higher G's and slalom, nicer, much better MPG's, and it has the cache' factor. In order to get the Evo to the performance levels on the Vette I had to do a lot, but I had it to a point where it had similar performance to a C6 Z06 before I sold it. To get it there I went through two engines though, a bad build and a bad tune. So you can basically go out and buy a C6 vette and have similar performance to what my Evo had, but have a 5yr-100,000k warranty and not have to worry about what you are going to break. Now don't get me wrong, the Evo was a hell of a lot of fun, I really,really miss it sometimes. It ran mid 11's and got out of the hole like you would not believe with the AWD, it launched HARD. But I do not miss it being down when I had holes the size of a grapefriut in my block!

I guess you can sum it up with as much as I loved my Evo (first car I ever bought new and it took me 7 months to get to where I could buy it, fell in love when I walked in the showroom) my next car is going to be a Z06. They are really neat though.
Good write up.
Old 01-07-2010, 08:11 AM
Joe_Planet
Safety Car

Personally I cant stand the turbo lag those cars produce, as I've driven them all, although only tracked the vette. Those cars are ok if you're on a budget, but dont really match the vette in terms of performance.
Old 01-07-2010, 08:17 AM
Snobike Mike
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Stock to stock the vette totally wastes those cars.

Modded, those cars are quite easy to get a lot faster. A friend of mine has the fastest STi in Canada and it is a full interior car. Don't ask what it cost him to get there though.......
Old 01-07-2010, 08:29 AM
0Quik Z06
Former Vendor

Received 411 Likes on 280 Posts

I used to own an 03 Evo as well, and it was pretty modded. It would beat our Z06 1/4 mile and would easily stay with it around twisties etc. I got it new for $30K OTD and had about $5K in mods, most of that was the built tranny. They are fun, I used to love driving it in the rain, lol sometimes I couldnt even get it to spin out when trying.

It really depends on what you need it for. An everyday car (if you dont need the room) a Vette is actually better IMO, get way better gas mileage, my Evo used to get like 15mpg on average. With the Vette you have instant torque and hp, great handling. If you have an Evo/STi believe me every little racer will be trying to race you. It used to get old when I had my Evo.
Old 06-12-2010, 08:34 PM
1kdude
5th Gear

Originally Posted by GotVett?
Good write up.
Thanks for the careful writeup. I am bouncing back and forth myself between these 2 cars. It looks like in the twisties the evo wins (a big factor for me), +its narrower. Less that 1K$ gets you 50-60 hp easy, on the evo also.
Driving around no low end hp would be extra work though. I do like having 4 seats although its not critical. If Mitsui made a lighter coupe version of the evo it would win easy for me.
Thanks again
Old 06-12-2010, 08:42 PM
obxchartercaptain
Safety Car

Received 308 Likes on 198 Posts
FL Events Coordinator

What the heck is a EVO?

Get notified of new replies

To C6 Vette vs. STI vs. EVO

Old 06-12-2010, 08:45 PM
Bucknut2006
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 66 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by 1kdude
Thanks for the careful writeup. I am bouncing back and forth myself between these 2 cars. It looks like in the twisties the evo wins (a big factor for me), +its narrower. Less that 1K$ gets you 50-60 hp easy, on the evo also.
Driving around no low end hp would be extra work though. I do like having 4 seats although its not critical. If Mitsui made a lighter coupe version of the evo it would win easy for me.
Thanks again
One of my close friends had an '05 WRX STi coupe which I borrowed for a week while he drove my GTO. Drove that thing hard on a lot of twisty roads and the handling did inspire confidence, but the car felt rather gutless unless the engine was wound up. Compared to my Vette, the steering might have felt a little tighter but my car is a step up in handling. I would recommend getting a used Z06 for around $50k used and call it a day.
Old 06-12-2010, 09:20 PM
Newt373
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I love my STI but its nothing like a Vette... Now that I have one of each, I am thoroughly satisfied. The Vette will never see the level of abuse I give to the STI mostly because the STI gets to Rally and hammer in the winter! (I love the snow!)

On the track, I can hold my own against the Vette by making up ground in the corners. In the straights? I just wave em by... There are few cars that I cant hold my own against, so I would say the STI is a reasonable "mid-range" car (my words and opinion) I have been struggling with understeer and as yet have not figured out an easy way to handle it. Im not sure how understeer is in the Evo.

On the streets is no place to measure pecker size... I will be more than happy to look at someones car and always catch myself staring at other cars but almost never get caught up in a measuring contest. I do looked down upon by people in Vettes from time to time but, but most of the time people dont even know it is an STI and think its a 2.5... (Limited edition 07s dont have a wing to block out the sun!)

As for the Evo... Im not an Evo guy. I respect the car as another nice car but I wouldnt buy one. The couple of drives I took in the IX and X left me wanting more in the way of TQ and HP, granted the STI is not that much more but I noticed. One is less likely to see an Evo at a Rally and more likely to see it power modded for the street and bling factor. (The STI is ugly and aint nuthin fixin that!)

Im not sure one can really compare them (Evo, STI, Vette) to each other fairly as they are strongest in different areas.

If I could have only one and didnt have snow? I would have gone with the Vette, hands down every time. But, being as I live in New England, the Vette had to wait.
Old 06-12-2010, 09:33 PM
Wayne O
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Most all the cars I see at the track are modified. Evo's and STI's are decent performance cars (I've run with many). I'm glad I have a Corvette.

Originally Posted by beav626

A lot depends on the individual cars and the drivers but I'm not surprised. Before moving back to Colorado, a good road racing friend of mine had a severely modded Evo that flat hauled-***. He was an excellent, aggressive driver who wailed on most stock Corvettes.

Quick Reply: C6 Vette vs. STI vs. EVO