C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How does a C6 corvette compare with a Viper proformance wise

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2010, 02:58 PM
fyreline
Supporting Lifetime
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,269 Likes on 508 Posts
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 Corvette of the Year Finalist -- Unmodified
2021 C1 of the Year Winner - Unmodified
2020 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2016 C1 of the Year Finalist

I still own my Elkhart Green 72 LT-1 (bought new), and I've seen that Viper color in person. It's not really that close (thank God!)
Old 01-05-2010, 03:48 PM
jamesbertero
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by VetBoyZR1
I don't know - that looks alot like the Elkhart green the '73 Vette had.
Could be. but to the best of my knowledge, GM learned from that mistake and have not made one in over 35 years However, that hasn't stopped others from abusing their Corvettes over the years
Old 01-05-2010, 06:23 PM
SnapperDragon
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I love comparisons of 45K cars (c6) to (what does the viper go for now...85K?).

When comparing any other car to the Vette, please compare the Vette model that is closest in price to the other car.

One comment, I do feel though that on the coupe GM did a lot to keep the car tame. I know that some basic tuning (of the engine, and in my case, the a6) is supposed to really wake up the car. But that is GM for you, trying to keep everyone safe.

It does seem, though, that generally, the Viper has been one step ahead performance wise of the Vette.

Last edited by SnapperDragon; 01-05-2010 at 06:26 PM.
Old 01-05-2010, 08:46 PM
GREENTAHOE
Pro

Received 21 Likes on 7 Posts

To really get into this debate, I must first say that there must be an extraordinary number of VERY skilled drivers on this board. I have had vettes that would dominate pretty much any Viper, but I couldn't handle them with no driver's aids. I also know of only a few people that can handle a C6 with all the driver's aids disabled. The Viper has none of these aids. It requires a skilled driver to say the least to extract the full power from a Viper. For me, my current comfortable cruising C6 that will be making 500rwhp once I have a little work done is something a Viper can't compete with. Now my C5..... that's another story. Haven't run into anything that hangs with a Turbo 408 in that thing.
Old 01-05-2010, 10:20 PM
dads toy
Burning Brakes

Vette has cup holder
Viper does not

End of comparison
Old 01-05-2010, 11:02 PM
cratica
Melting Slicks

[QUOTE=GREENTAHOE;1572655133]For me, my current comfortable cruising C6 that will be making 500rwhp once I have a little work done is something a Viper can't compete with. QUOTE]

You cannot possibly be serious????? There are a ton of Vipers that will spank a measly 500rwhp. Ton of them. Even new stock they would give you a handful.
Old 01-06-2010, 09:27 AM
GREENTAHOE
Pro

Received 21 Likes on 7 Posts

[QUOTE=cratica;1572656842]
Originally Posted by GREENTAHOE
For me, my current comfortable cruising C6 that will be making 500rwhp once I have a little work done is something a Viper can't compete with. QUOTE]

You cannot possibly be serious????? There are a ton of Vipers that will spank a measly 500rwhp. Ton of them. Even new stock they would give you a handful.
Perhaps I didn't clarify that statement. For my personal preference a C6 with 500rwhp is a much more enjoyable car. My C5 on low boost makes 738rwhp and is still more comfortable and civilized. The corvette is a more enjoyable machine IMO. And I would hope a new 90K car would be at least faster than my C6 in which with mods I have 38K in it. It certainly doesn't win in any other category and without a skilled driver it wouldn't win in the performance category either.
Old 01-06-2010, 02:12 PM
cratica
Melting Slicks

[QUOTE=GREENTAHOE;1572659479]
Originally Posted by cratica

Perhaps I didn't clarify that statement. For my personal preference a C6 with 500rwhp is a much more enjoyable car. My C5 on low boost makes 738rwhp and is still more comfortable and civilized. The corvette is a more enjoyable machine IMO. And I would hope a new 90K car would be at least faster than my C6 in which with mods I have 38K in it. It certainly doesn't win in any other category and without a skilled driver it wouldn't win in the performance category either.
aww... makes a little more sense.

As for the Viper winning categories, I would say it kills the vette in attitude, beauty, performance (straight line and road course) and pure driving excitement. Vette wins best bang for the buck, best daily driving performance car, heritage and mpg.
Old 01-06-2010, 02:19 PM
jamesbertero
Drifting

Originally Posted by dads toy
Vette has cup holder
Viper does not

End of comparison
That is awesome. Oh, and by the way, the Vette has the best cup holder of any car I have ever owned
Old 01-06-2010, 05:05 PM
Vette Fan
Drifting

Just bought a 08 Viper and had a 05 C6 that I bought new and heres what I think

Like everbody says, Vette all around better DD. Loved my Vette.

With that being said, I don't miss scraping that front air dam? everywhere I go.

Also, I remember when I was deciding on color, I chose silver because I liked it AND because I didn't want to see all the orange peel on a daily basis. The paint on my black Viper is incredible and looks almost as good as a paint job that has been color sanded. Hats off to Chyrsler

I also wanted a convertible this time and Chevy doesn't make a convertible with anywhere near the hp as my 600hp Viper.
Old 01-06-2010, 08:10 PM
cratica
Melting Slicks

Back to the original question.

The C6 and the current Viper aren't in the same league. Heck, my brother and I met in Denver this past summer, me in my C6 and he in his old 96 Viper GTS. Both nearly stock. Mine has corsa and vortex intake and his GTS has smooth tubes and filter. (his is near bone stock). Anyhow, we did the 3 honk and roll deal (on a closed course with no one else near) and he spanked me easily each time. (and I think my C6 is very strong). I also used to own a 96 Viper and even though it's 10 years old, it still has it over the C6 in styling, HP and pure driving thrill. Now, take an 09 Viper and a C6? Ouch.
Old 01-06-2010, 08:18 PM
Rule292
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Back to the original question.

The C6 and the current Viper aren't in the same league. Heck, my brother and I met in Denver this past summer, me in my C6 and he in his old 96 Viper GTS. Both nearly stock. Mine has corsa and vortex intake and his GTS has smooth tubes and filter. (his is near bone stock). Anyhow, we did the 3 honk and roll deal (on a closed course with no one else near) and he spanked me easily each time. (and I think my C6 is very strong). I also used to own a 96 Viper and even though it's 10 years old, it still has it over the C6 in styling, HP and pure driving thrill. Now, take an 09 Viper and a C6? Ouch.

It's all about HP/torque/displacement. That should answer the performance question and I've never driven or owned a Viper.
Old 01-06-2010, 08:21 PM
vettedrummer
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 255 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by Vette Fan
Just bought a 08 Viper and had a 05 C6 that I bought new and heres what I think

Like everbody says, Vette all around better DD. Loved my Vette.

With that being said, I don't miss scraping that front air dam? everywhere I go.

Also, I remember when I was deciding on color, I chose silver because I liked it AND because I didn't want to see all the orange peel on a daily basis. The paint on my black Viper is incredible and looks almost as good as a paint job that has been color sanded. Hats off to Chyrsler

I also wanted a convertible this time and Chevy doesn't make a convertible with anywhere near the hp as my 600hp Viper.
Yeah the Viper paint does not have the orange peel of Vettes. But I don't know if the 08 is you first Viper or not but I hate to tell you that newer Vipers don't have near the paint quality of the older ones and Viper dealers will admit it. I have had a 92, 95, 00 , 05, 06 and 09 and the 06 and 09 don't have near the paint quality of my earlier cars. My black/silver SRT coupe will chip if you look at it hard.

Dealers have had headaches on this issue. I had to return my 06 when new because of paint issues which no one disputed.
Old 01-06-2010, 11:30 PM
cadguymark
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Shelbyvette
I've heard they won't be around next year. (2011)
Dodge or Viper? Probably both, Chrysler makes GM look like marketing geniuses.

This arguement is like what is hotter in the sack, a blonde or a brunette. Depends on the driver. But the real question should be would you rather have a Viper ($92K) or a Grand Sport and $30K for mods. That would be one damn fast GS.

Last edited by cadguymark; 01-06-2010 at 11:41 PM.
Old 01-07-2010, 12:07 AM
Rocketmanwpb
Safety Car

Received 465 Likes on 238 Posts

I seriously hope you aren't suggesting that this is indicative of either cars performance? "Parade Lap"? Was the Viper driver taking it out of 3rd gear? Was he/she a professional driver driving it at 100%? or perhaps it was a 90yr old grandma out for her first spin in 30 years?

Seriously though, I hope you posted that in gest...
We hung back and accelerated to about 110 MPH on the back straight. On the last lap the Viper was flagged off the course. I don't know why they didn't flag me off also, I was right with him, but they let me go on. I could have probably gone another 5 MPH, but the Viper braked too soon.
Old 01-07-2010, 07:44 AM
porschebreath
Racer

Originally Posted by GREENTAHOE
To really get into this debate, I must first say that there must be an extraordinary number of VERY skilled drivers on this board. I have had vettes that would dominate pretty much any Viper, but I couldn't handle them with no driver's aids. I also know of only a few people that can handle a C6 with all the driver's aids disabled. The Viper has none of these aids. It requires a skilled driver to say the least to extract the full power from a Viper. For me, my current comfortable cruising C6 that will be making 500rwhp once I have a little work done is something a Viper can't compete with. Now my C5..... that's another story. Haven't run into anything that hangs with a Turbo 408 in that thing.
Read any magazine comparison. They tell you the exact same thing and always give the Vette the win.
Old 01-07-2010, 08:11 AM
GotVett?
Race Director

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by cadguymark
Dodge or Viper? Probably both, Chrysler makes GM look like marketing geniuses.

This arguement is like what is hotter in the sack, a blonde or a brunette. Depends on the driver. But the real question should be would you rather have a Viper ($92K) or a Grand Sport and $30K for mods. That would be one damn fast GS.
Good . . .

Get notified of new replies

To How does a C6 corvette compare with a Viper proformance wise

Old 08-12-2010, 02:39 PM
Rizzo1
Instructor

Originally Posted by jamesbertero
The Viper may be faster, but at least Chevy has had the common sense not to ever make the Vette in this color

I'd still take it if they didn't want it anymore though
Pretty bada$$ cars, but I'll take my C6 all day long and twice on Sunday
I have always HATED green on any car..until I saw the Snake Skin green Viper in person. You can not get pictures to show the true color of this car but in person it is simply amazing. When I was looking to buy my Viper I had it narrowed down to Snake skin green, red or yellow. Until you see this green in person it is very hard to tell what it really looks like.
Old 08-12-2010, 02:46 PM
jamesbertero
Drifting

Originally Posted by Rizzo1
I have always HATED green on any car..until I saw the Snake Skin green Viper in person. You can not get pictures to show the true color of this car but in person it is simply amazing. When I was looking to buy my Viper I had it narrowed down to Snake skin green, red or yellow. Until you see this green in person it is very hard to tell what it really looks like.
I guess I will have to take your word for it. Still looks like strained pea baby food to me, but then I have always made sure my sports cars were red. This C6 is my first exception....and it was Monterey Red
Old 08-12-2010, 02:46 PM
vettedoogie
Le Mans Master

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Watch this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fDDPFCMWvQ4

Don't forget to watch the "Battle of the Supercars" on Speed for the ZR1 vs Viper SRT-10! Guess who wins?

Quick Reply: How does a C6 corvette compare with a Viper proformance wise