C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

is black out tailight a moving violation?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2010, 03:52 PM
billytruong
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default is black out tailight a moving violation?

i just got at ticket today for tinted window and black out tail light and the cop told me that i can get the window sign off but the tinted tail light will go on my moving record, i live in North California
Old 01-02-2010, 04:06 PM
C6NRED
Le Mans Master

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Depends on your state's laws and how those kinds of things are defined. Here in Washington, defective equipment (ie bald tires, tinted plates, etc) are indeed moving violations....none of these kinds of things are illegal to put on your car in your driveway --- you have to be on the road and MOVING for them to be violations of the law, right?
I am actually surprised that the too dark tinted windows violation is not a moving violation. Your state must specifically exempt that violation from being a moving one....
Old 01-02-2010, 04:16 PM
DaveC6
Burning Brakes

What Vehicle Code number(s) did he write down on the ticket?
Old 01-02-2010, 04:23 PM
vettedoogie
Le Mans Master

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by C6NRED
Depends on your state's laws and how those kinds of things are defined. Here in Washington, defective equipment (ie bald tires, tinted plates, etc) are indeed moving violations....none of these kinds of things are illegal to put on your car in your driveway --- you have to be on the road and MOVING for them to be violations of the law, right?
I am actually surprised that the too dark tinted windows violation is not a moving violation. Your state must specifically exempt that violation from being a moving one....
Old 01-02-2010, 04:32 PM
bearphoto
Safety Car

Received 302 Likes on 200 Posts
SoCal Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '12

You may have one or both of them checked off as a fix it ticket, look at the cite to see. either way, those violations are not "moving" violations. Yes it can show on your dmv record but it is not a moving violation that will cost you more during insurance renewal.

CHP Commander, Retired
Old 01-02-2010, 04:32 PM
billytruong
Instructor

Originally Posted by DaveC6
What Vehicle Code number(s) did he write down on the ticket?
code: 24002AV for the rear tail light

code: 26708AV fort the tinted window
Old 01-02-2010, 04:35 PM
budgreen3564
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 238 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by bearphoto
You may have one or both of them checked off as a fix it ticket, look at the cite to see. either way, those violations are not "moving" violations. Yes it can show on your dmv record but it is not a moving violation that will cost you more during insurance renewal.

CHP Commander, Retired

correct. it's a regulatory violation
Old 01-02-2010, 05:40 PM
DaveC6
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by billytruong
code: 24002AV for the rear tail light

code: 26708AV fort the tinted window
24002. (a) It is unlawful to operate any vehicle or combination of
vehicles which is in an unsafe condition, or which is not safely
loaded, and which presents an immediate safety hazard.
(b) It is unlawful to operate any vehicle or combination of
vehicles which is not equipped as provided in this code.

One Point Violations include 24002:

http://www.4mrticket.com/common-cali...iolations.html
Old 01-02-2010, 06:05 PM
TommyV
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12, '16

I would take that one to court.
Old 01-02-2010, 07:22 PM
EDinPA
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by billytruong
i just got at ticket today for tinted window and black out tail light and the cop told me that i can get the window sign off but the tinted tail light will go on my moving record, i live in North California
You should be more concerned about your civil liability. If you had a stock tail light and someone rear ends you, 99.99% of the time it is their fault. Now that you have intentionally blacked out your brake lights, making it harder for others to see, expect to be sued and loose.
Old 01-02-2010, 07:35 PM
saplumr
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,251 Likes on 895 Posts

Usually they give you the choice of accepting the violation or remove them on the spot.
Old 01-02-2010, 07:40 PM
rdm1465
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by saplumr
Usually they give you the choice of accepting the violation or remove them on the spot.
Normally you would be correct. But, in this case, you still would get a ticket. For not having red tail lights.
Old 01-02-2010, 07:42 PM
saplumr
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by rdm1465
Normally you would be correct. But, in this case, you still would get a ticket. For not having red tail lights.
In some states I wouldn't doubt the car could be towed regardless.
Old 01-02-2010, 07:51 PM
K9KUZ
Drifting

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by EDinPA
You should be more concerned about your civil liability. If you had a stock tail light and someone rear ends you, 99.99% of the time it is their fault. Now that you have intentionally blacked out your brake lights, making it harder for others to see, expect to be sued and loose.
And - expect more rear end collisions.
Old 01-02-2010, 07:56 PM
cmonkey713
Race Director

Received 1,259 Likes on 920 Posts

Originally Posted by C6NRED
Depends on specifically where you are, district, city, state. I would be surprised if there is an enforceable federal vehicle safety standard for tinted windows and lights.
Old 01-02-2010, 08:02 PM
saplumr
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by cmonkey713
Depends on specifically where you are, district, city, state. I would be surprised if there is an enforceable federal vehicle safety standard for tinted windows and lights.
Oh yes there is. It stems from police not being able to easily see the driver and front passenger for the officers safety.
Old 01-02-2010, 08:04 PM
cthusker
Le Mans Master

Received 91 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by cmonkey713
You bring up a very interesting point on federal laws. You see states
like to enforce those they like while over looking those they don't...

Example: federal DOT laws (usually enforced) Illegal Alien laws (no enforcement) Very interesting how states pick and chose what they have us enforce, isn't it....... One the make money off of.. the other costs them money!!!!

Get notified of new replies

To is black out tailight a moving violation?

Old 01-02-2010, 08:09 PM
C6NRED
Le Mans Master

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Oh yes there is. It stems from police not being able to easily see the driver and front passenger for the officers safety.
...there is nothing more scary that making a traffic stop on a car with blacked out windows. I always called the driver out to me in those cases. No way was I going to approach a car that I could not see into!
I had an observer on night who was ragging on and on about how tinted windows were not a problem. This was years ago, but one of my stops I was making turned into a dark alley at 2 AM, and the car had those limo-dark windows all the way around. I turned to my passenger and asked him if he would like to make first contact on this one.....I did not hear another word about tinted windows all night....
Old 01-02-2010, 10:14 PM
andympd
Instructor

The law was aimed mostly for the safety of the public. With tinted windows you are unable to see out at night and thus you may not see that person in the cross walk. Tinted windows during the day reflect light out and at night they work the same way, reflecting light back in from your dash and radio panel ( nav ) when this happens your visions is obscured causing blind spots. Ever try and ware dark sunglasses at night while driving. Officer's will approach your car with caution and you'll likely be getting a summons for one of many hundreds in the VTL that he can write.
Old 01-03-2010, 01:08 AM
Griffee
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rdm1465
So all Chevy Malibu's manufactured should be pulled over? They do not have red lights. There tail lights are smoked.

Quick Reply: is black out tailight a moving violation?