C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Spark Plug Backing Out?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2015, 08:48 AM
Nosferatu
Le Mans Master

Received 127 Likes on 80 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

Default Spark Plug Backing Out?

As topic states what causes this and what kind of symptoms would you get?

What would cause this to happen? How do you prevent it from happening again?

I'm having an issue on my boosted car and I'm a little leery about the explanation for the proposed problem. Basically no check engine lights or anything but after a long drive in hot weather car falls on it's face over 4000rpms. Let it sit and cool for an hour and I can get one somewhat good hit out of the car and then it falls flat on it's face again. Car now is on methanol so it's not the hot air intake temps but the hot weather in general seems to be causing a problem elsewhere. Remedy, stop driving for the day and start driving the car again tomorrow it's back to normal.

I had this happen once before and we replaced plugs/wires and that seemed to have remedied the problem. I loose boost when this happens (likely from the lack of power the engine is putting out).
Old 03-14-2015, 09:22 AM
wayback
Team Owner

Received 2,887 Likes on 1,910 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Might have a stripped head. Someone might have put plug in a hot/warm engine and over tightened the plug.

Had a plug blow out of my supercharged Lightning truck.......needed a new head.

GL
Old 03-14-2015, 10:50 AM
Dano523
Race Director

Received 3,018 Likes on 2,174 Posts

Either a stripped head channel, or heat soak and the boost pressure.

Hence, fuel is cooling, so with boost, always run on the richer AFR side!!!

Also, meth is not being run full time, so you can't count on it to keep the engine cool full time (being used to prevent detonation with advance ignition timing during boost instead).
Old 03-14-2015, 05:46 PM
Nosferatu
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '14

Originally Posted by Dano523
Either a stripped head channel, or heat soak and the boost pressure.

Hence, fuel is cooling, so with boost, always run on the richer AFR side!!!

Also, meth is not being run full time, so you can't count on it to keep the engine cool full time (being used to prevent detonation with advance ignition timing during boost instead).
car runs rich like high 10s at full throttle up top. It was 90 degrees today I just drove 60 miles back from the shop aggressively she seemed okay.
Old 03-15-2015, 08:30 AM
Dano523
Race Director

Received 3,018 Likes on 2,174 Posts

Check your AFR at mid and low throttle, and might want to think about putting a small timed delay to ramp down the meth spray when you come off the throttle, instead of it just shutting off; to help cool the heat soak heads down after you come off boost.

The heads have no water channel cooling, and you have a steel spark plug in an aluminum head (two different heating and cooling rates), plus the Meth is only kicking in during boost.

So the head spark plug channels are expanding the hotter the heat soak is, and this, combined with the boost pressure may be just enough for start backing out the plugs when the heads get heat soaked (the 11ftlbs of spark plug torque only, is not helping the cause either).
Old 03-15-2015, 08:53 AM
Nosferatu
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '14

Originally Posted by Dano523
Check your AFR at mid and low throttle, and might want to think about putting a small timed delay to ramp down the meth spray when you come off the throttle, instead of it just shutting off; to help cool the heat soak heads down after you come off boost.

The heads have no water channel cooling, and you have a steel spark plug in an aluminum head (two different heating and cooling rates), plus the Meth is only kicking in during boost.

So the head spark plug channels are expanding the hotter the heat soak is, and this, combined with the boost pressure may be just enough for start backing out the plugs when the heads get heat soaked (the 11ftlbs of spark plug torque only, is not helping the cause either).
gotcha! Thanks for the thoughts!

Get notified of new replies

To Spark Plug Backing Out?

Quick Reply: Spark Plug Backing Out?