C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C6 spare key will not open hatch

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2009, 09:17 AM
scottbiggslp@aol.com
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default C6 spare key will not open hatch

I have tried key and it will not open hatch, battery is dead
any ideas
thanks scott
Old 12-31-2009, 09:25 AM
vettedoogie
Le Mans Master

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Does the key fit into the lock? Make sure you push it in all the way before you turn it because sometimes they can be very hard to turn. Maybe a good squirt of wd40 into the lock might help clean it out and free it up.

Good luck. Hopefully this will serve as a reminder to all to actually check your key to make sure A) you have the key with you and B) it works before you really need it!

Last edited by vettedoogie; 12-31-2009 at 09:27 AM.
Old 12-31-2009, 09:33 AM
Capt Steve
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You really have to turn the key hard to get it to open the hatch. They can get dirt and stuff in them and are hard to open. You could try spraying WD40 into the lock.

You should always try your spare key every once in a while.

If that doesn't work, you could hook a jumper cable to the starter cable from under the car. That should give you enough power to open the car with the FOB.

You may have to jack the front up a little to get to the starter. Just hook up the positive lead to the thick positive cable on the starter and the negative lead to someplace on the engine block. This will supply power to the whole car.

Once you get to car open, you can fix the battery issue.
Old 12-31-2009, 09:57 AM
talon90
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 152 Likes on 72 Posts
Tech Contributor
Cruise-In 11 Veteran
NCM Ambassador
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'10

Originally Posted by Capt Steve
You really have to turn the key hard to get it to open the hatch. They can get dirt and stuff in them and are hard to open. You could try spraying WD40 into the lock.

You should always try your spare key every once in a while.

If that doesn't work, you could hook a jumper cable to the starter cable from under the car. That should give you enough power to open the car with the FOB.

You may have to jack the front up a little to get to the starter. Just hook up the positive lead to the thick positive cable on the starter and the negative lead to someplace on the engine block. This will supply power to the whole car.

Once you get to car open, you can fix the battery issue.
Listen to this man. Make sure you insert the key all the way in the slot in the trunk. Try it several times to make sure there are no obstructions or dirt and debris in or around the key slot. Try spraying some WD-40 or similar in the slot. Turn the key firmly to open the hatch (not to the point of it binding or possibly breaking off, but you will be surprised at the force required to actually open the hatch with the key.)

It is possible that the cable has come off the latch release mechanism, if that is the case then no amount of effort will get it done. Follow the recommendations above to get power to the car via the starter. You can then get it, open the hood and work on opening hatch.
Old 12-31-2009, 01:37 PM
c54u
Melting Slicks

Received 682 Likes on 475 Posts

if the key does fit in the lock, make sure it is pushed in all the way.

then as you push down on the hatch (where the latch is) with the palm of your hand, turn the key.

sometimes the hatch is very tight when closed and by pushing down on the hatch your relieve the pressure and you will be able to turn the key in the lock to open the hatch

worth a try. my .02

Last edited by c54u; 12-31-2009 at 01:39 PM.
Old 12-31-2009, 01:48 PM
rm50
Melting Slicks

Received 202 Likes on 73 Posts
2020 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Originally Posted by c54u
if the key does fit in the lock, make sure it is pushed in all the way.

then as you push down on the hatch (where the latch is) with the palm of your hand, turn the key.

sometimes the hatch is very tight when closed and by pushing down on the hatch your relieve the pressure and you will be able to turn the key in the lock to open the hatch

worth a try. my .02
Old 12-31-2009, 04:02 PM
dads toy
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

just had to use mine, took two tries. follow above advice.
Old 12-31-2009, 04:13 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Of course, you don't want to break off the key in the lock, and it may feel like that. But believe me: the first few times you use it, it DOES feel as if the key and lock are not made for each other. Be gentle but forceful. And use some kind of lubricant such as PB Blaster which might be even better than WD 40.
Old 12-31-2009, 05:34 PM
Mad*Max
Race Director

Received 1,499 Likes on 817 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021

It is definitely a struggle to open with the key but after a couple of tries it usually works (with significant effort to turn).
Old 12-31-2009, 06:06 PM
TWOBUELLS
Drifting

Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

Never tried mine , But i will be soon. Thanks for the info.
Old 12-31-2009, 06:12 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 435 Likes on 372 Posts

Need more info as to whether the key will not turn, or turns and does nothing, or won't fit in the lock cylinder....

In the meantime, probably good to bring up this thread again:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...metal-key.html
Old 12-31-2009, 06:28 PM
ProudAmerican
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by AORoads
Of course, you don't want to break off the key in the lock, and it may feel like that. But believe me: the first few times you use it, it DOES feel as if the key and lock are not made for each other. Be gentle but forceful. And use some kind of lubricant such as PB Blaster which might be even better than WD 40.
Now I don't know that this is not an urban legend.

I have been told not use wd40 or other lubricants in a lock. Dirt and dust is retained and attracted.

I was told to use tube graphite or a graphite based spray. The spray distributes the graphite with a liquid that fully evaporates. Neither leaves a greasy or sticky residue.

The following users liked this post:
seth4774 (09-11-2019)
Old 12-31-2009, 08:18 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

well, technically the graphite stuff probably is better, or at least used to be. I think today's quik drying silicone water dispersants that leave a film are ok. I used to use the graphite stuff exclusively, but it was a mess. It'd come off on the key repeatedly. You certainly didn't want to stick it in any pocket after using the key in the lock unless you wiped it first.

No matter what I use, I dry off the key many times after spraying anything in the lock...maybe that's just me.
Old 01-03-2010, 02:53 AM
2006c6keller
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by AORoads
well, technically the graphite stuff probably is better, or at least used to be. I think today's quik drying silicone water dispersants that leave a film are ok. I used to use the graphite stuff exclusively, but it was a mess. It'd come off on the key repeatedly. You certainly didn't want to stick it in any pocket after using the key in the lock unless you wiped it first.

No matter what I use, I dry off the key many times after spraying anything in the lock...maybe that's just me.
You are correct, but graphite is the better lube but is messy as you say. WD 40 is OK in a jam but not the best. Silicone is good but I'm not sure if it the best for locks, definitely for rubber goods, etc. Maybe a locksmith can chime in.
Old 01-03-2010, 05:29 AM
Rob 99
I'm "Apache" a psycho dog
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by scottbiggslp@aol.com
I have tried key and it will not open hatch, battery is dead
any ideas
thanks scott
well update everyone on how you made out, hopefully it was an
easy fix
Old 01-03-2010, 09:17 AM
ByByBMW
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 536 Likes on 279 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'08-'10-'11-'12-'13 '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19

Originally Posted by 2006c6keller
You are correct, but graphite is the better lube but is messy as you say. WD 40 is OK in a jam but not the best. Silicone is good but I'm not sure if it the best for locks, definitely for rubber goods, etc. Maybe a locksmith can chime in.
I'm not a locksmith but a locksmith friend of mine says to NOT use graphite, it can build up and jam up the works. Liquid is the best lube.
Old 01-03-2010, 09:54 AM
vettedoogie
Le Mans Master

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Living in a very cold weather climate, WD40 is all I have ever used (since it was made available) as it disperses moisture in locks, preventing freeze-up, while also loosening stiff locks.

Before that it was 3-in-One oil!

It would be nice to hear from the OP if this helped!
Old 01-03-2010, 09:59 AM
BigKitty
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Follow the advise;WD is your friend!
Old 01-03-2010, 03:41 PM
vetehead
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

So what was the outcome???

Get notified of new replies

To C6 spare key will not open hatch