C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Boxster S or Corvette?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2010, 12:27 AM
porschebreath
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Stormcrowe
Wine or no, I learned to spell in the 3rd grade. My kids used to bring home notes from their teachers and the grammar and spelling was atrocious, makes you wonder.
How do you spell MORON. Sorry , must be the beer tonight. Are you still fighting the civil war?. I know you Texans are real sensitive to it.

Last edited by porschebreath; 01-02-2010 at 12:49 AM.
Old 01-02-2010, 01:15 AM
need-for-speed
Team Owner

Received 866 Likes on 609 Posts
CI 1-4-5-8-9-10 Vet
St. Jude Donor '03,'04,'05,'07,08,'09,'10,’17

Originally Posted by porschebreath
First of all , don't listen to anyone who has never owned or driven a boxster. I have owned two boxsters . A 2000 S and a base boxster. They are fantastic cars and the S will out handle most cars. Read any Magazines and they will tell you the Boxster is a handling monster , except the Lotus Elise. The problem with Porsche boxsters is they had porous engine blocks that caused engine failure in pre-2000 boxsters.The interiors greatly improved in 05 boxsters , but the previous Boxster interiors where less quality than 05 and up Corvettes. Boxsters also suffer from rear main seal oil leaks. That said they are great , traditional sports cars , that are great fun , but not trouble free or better in quality than C6 Corvettes. The C6 has made GREAT strides in quality compared to previous Corvettes. The Boxster is a finesse , handling sports car. The C6 Corvette is a bargain world class sports car , faster than any Boxster could ever dream of being. It is miles ahead of the C5 in interior quality. The Porsche 911 is the benchmark that the C6 was hunting for. most magazines I have read , give the corvette a first place rating above the 911. The Corvette C6 IMO , is in a different league than the Boxster. , more in the 911 category. Drive the Vette after the Boxster and you will be shocked by the incredible torque it has. I always loved the pre- 1967 Vettes. I never considered the Vette till the C6 came out. Truly world class.

I drove a base Boxter, and it was VERY weak. I realize the S is faster. Other than that, Pbreath's analysis seems to be accurate if you read enough posts from folks who have owned both cars.

WRT the Civil War - I hang my head in shame every day. I am so ashamed, that I am thinking about moving to Detroit or Philly. Winter time makes it even more tempting. In fact, I feel that the events of 140+ years ago are so relevant that I am going to start making monthly Reparation payments to The Rainbow Coalition.
Old 01-02-2010, 01:27 AM
need-for-speed
Team Owner

CI 1-4-5-8-9-10 Vet

Originally Posted by phileaglesfan
Especially a good wine. Oh well he screwed up spelling their so you are even.
Aww heyell no! Cheap wine = more buzz/$

Oak Leaf - $2.97 at Wallymart
Old 01-02-2010, 07:27 AM
porschebreath
Racer

Originally Posted by need-for-speed
Aww heyell no! Cheap wine = more buzz/$

Oak Leaf - $2.97 at Wallymart
Really , $2.97 , any good?.
Old 01-02-2010, 09:11 AM
SnapperDragon
Drifting

I just love Corvette vs [insert car here] threads! Especially all the creative conclusions people come up with.

The best advice is to at least drive any car you are considering. If going with used, keep in mind that the car being looked at may not be representative of the model due to possible accidents. This goes for any car, obviously.
Old 01-02-2010, 09:57 AM
ProudAmerican
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey look, OP is just not Vette worthy.

He's a Boxster guy(?). Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Old 01-02-2010, 11:10 AM
SeaNile
Intermediate

Man, if you don't blindly love Vettes on here it is a rough crowd! What's the big deal, so I am not a life long vette lover who has dreamed of owning one my entire life. I'm looking for a nice 3rd car to have fun with, take care of and enjoy the experience and the vette is a contender. I'll continue to ask Q's and look around for the right deal and if one comes up I will be a vette owner if not it's not the end of the world to me. I kind of expected this type of one sided affection for the vettes on here which is completely OK. It's just annoying to think the bigger is better mentality applies to these cars so much. So it's faster, has a bigger engine, etc when compared to X car, but does that automatically make it better? I don't think so....most times yes but not 100% of the time.

John
Old 01-02-2010, 11:45 AM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,488 Likes on 1,950 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Time to chime in .... I'd like to suggest something to OP. Go look at one. Go drive one. Or do both.

Just about all the questions that can be asked, have been answered. The only other way for OP to find out anything of substance is to GO DRIVE ONE. And since OP says, he's going to, in the words of that great and erudite person: git 'er done.

Then come back and ask some more questions. If you so choose.

Anything else is just, to me, provoking questions, non-answers, controversy and bs.

As to bigger/better, Corvette lovers, etc., oh c'mon...this would happen on any car site. ANY, incl. the vaunted Porsche sites.

Yes, it's a new year and there is snow on the ground and all the other excuses like spring is months off yet. So what?

Have a great year. Hope you enjoy your whatever model car you get. Or don't get.
Old 01-02-2010, 12:13 PM
need-for-speed
Team Owner

CI 1-4-5-8-9-10 Vet

Originally Posted by porschebreath
Really , $2.97 , any good?.

I am amazed at how good it is - especially for that price. I like the merlot the best but they have it in shiraz, cab sav, and a couple of whites too. I haven't tried the whites. It's not as good as Blackstone or Estancia, but for the money - it's a bargain (like Corvette !)

Old 01-02-2010, 12:23 PM
need-for-speed
Team Owner

CI 1-4-5-8-9-10 Vet

Originally Posted by SnapperDragon
I just love Corvette vs [insert car here] threads! Especially all the creative conclusions people come up with.

The best advice is to at least drive any car you are considering. If going with used, keep in mind that the car being looked at may not be representative of the model due to possible accidents. This goes for any car, obviously.

If a person isn't sure, they need to drive all prospective candidates. Imagine going on a Posche board and asking if you should buy the Vette or the P car ...

OTOH, I think most folks know what the vast majority here will advocate when they open such a thread here. If the OP's worded their initial post so as to ask about the pros, cons, and what known problems to look for, as opposed to "which would you buy", it might make more sense. But it really doesn't matter. They'll eventually get their answer. The pissing contests that emerge in the thread just keep it more interesting.
Old 01-02-2010, 12:23 PM
DaveC6
Burning Brakes

Boxster S was Alan Harper's first choice... If you haven't seen this episode of Two and a Half Men you should see it. It will let you know what the rest of us already know. Season 2, Episode 22.

Old 01-02-2010, 12:33 PM
need-for-speed
Team Owner

CI 1-4-5-8-9-10 Vet

Originally Posted by SeaNile
Man, if you don't blindly love Vettes on here it is a rough crowd! What's the big deal, so I am not a life long vette lover who has dreamed of owning one my entire life. I'm looking for a nice 3rd car to have fun with, take care of and enjoy the experience and the vette is a contender. I'll continue to ask Q's and look around for the right deal and if one comes up I will be a vette owner if not it's not the end of the world to me. I kind of expected this type of one sided affection for the vettes on here which is completely OK. It's just annoying to think the bigger is better mentality applies to these cars so much. So it's faster, has a bigger engine, etc when compared to X car, but does that automatically make it better? I don't think so....most times yes but not 100% of the time.

John
There is nothing wrong with your approach. Some of us are too loyal. It's actually the descriminating buyer that forces GM to stay on top of their game, which is a good thing.

With the Vette, I think you'll find the following:

1. amazing HP, and even more amazing TQ
2. much lower maint cost
3. more creature comforts than the P car
4. more reliability than the P car. many will argue this, but if you compare miles driven, I think you'll see the C6 to be much more reliable than most hi perf cars. in reliability discussions, most people compare vettes to camry's or accords

5. fit, finish, and interior (08+) better than what you would be led to belive on an import board or P car board

6. steering less reponsive / less "feel"

7. some will say the P car "handles" better, but I say Nurburgring times say otherwise

8. better MPG

9. lower $/HP

10. less prestige / uniqueness
Old 01-02-2010, 01:10 PM
OffHeGoes
Instructor

John
lol don't let it get to you, that's just the way it is around here; it's actually kinda amusing
A lot of the people on this forum just absolutely love the vette (and who could blame them?) and they personally wouldn't want to drive any other type of sports car (and again, rightfully so). There are a lot of us who like many different types of cars, we'll give you an objective opinion about the Corvette. But like so many others have said, there's one thing you need to do before you make your ultimate decision--get out there and test drive it, and push it hard, don't baby it just because you've got a salesperson sitting next to you. You wanna see how it turns? Push it hard, but make sure, make absolutely sure you have the VSA on hahah. I'm sure you'll be impressed with the straight-line acceleration, you won't even need to floor it to feel the awesome powah! Good luck with the decision. Don't stress it about these guys, they're just good people who love their cars, but you gotta find the car that YOU love, even if it's not the almighty Corvette
(this is coming from the guy who just ordered a Honda Civic hehe, and believe it or not, I got a lot of from the vette people on here when I delivered the heartbreaking news lol, and I AM a lifelong vette entusiast who will continue to be one, I'm just straying from the pack for a little while; I've also been a lifelong Hondaphile who occasionally drools over BMWs)

Oh, and whatever you do, do not push it hard while making a turn from a dead stop, even with VSA on... the dealer will likely curse you out, kick you out of the car, and leave you standing on the side of the road.

Last edited by OffHeGoes; 01-02-2010 at 01:28 PM.
Old 01-02-2010, 01:33 PM
SeaNile
Intermediate

I'm trying to find a window of opportunity to test drive one or two this week and that will certainly help my decision. Trying to look in the sub $30K range but keep hearing about the improvements in the 08+ cars. Gotta be patient and find exactly what I am looking for. I am surprised to see how many AUTO vettes are out there. Thought most would be manual given the pure sports car heritage.

--JK
Old 01-02-2010, 02:03 PM
Shark Racer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 242 Likes on 201 Posts

I'm trying to find a window of opportunity to test drive one or two this week and that will certainly help my decision. Trying to look in the sub $30K range but keep hearing about the improvements in the 08+ cars. Gotta be patient and find exactly what I am looking for. I am surprised to see how many AUTO vettes are out there. Thought most would be manual given the pure sports car heritage.

--JK
Don't let this thread fool you, quite a number of these people couldn't throttle out of a corner if their lives depended on it. I'd be willing to bet that 90%+ of the people who instantly started jumping on the anti-Boxster bandwagon couldn't make four autocross laps without at least a few spins.

That being said, these cars are great sports cars that are built for 50 year old men, so they do have some compromises built-in to them. That explains not only a large percentage of automatic transmissions, but also the generally cush ride and unruly behavior during at-limit handling. (the car was never intended, in its base form, to be driven at the limit without modification.)

Of course, once you take these cars beyond their initial use hypothesis, you should start modifying anyhow.

Last edited by Shark Racer; 01-02-2010 at 02:06 PM.
Old 01-02-2010, 02:17 PM
ProudAmerican
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Gotta expect it!!!

John

Hey John (aka SeaNile)

Don't take it too serious my friend. If you ask a question like this of people that decided to buy a vette and don't expect some of us to goof on you then you weren't thinking too far ahead.

So another goof (don't take it personal)

"No Vette for you!"

Have fun with it....
Old 01-02-2010, 02:38 PM
phileaglesfan
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 129 Posts

Seanile,
Just go with what you like. I did a couple years ago and have been thrilled with my decision. Yes, I went to other sites also and actually had similar comments about why I shouldn't buy a Corvette over their car. Most said "You see one at every corner" or it is antique compared to their car.

We also see a lot of "Should I buy a Vette or ____?" threads on this site. Here are some I can remember. Boxster/Cayman/911, Z4, SLK, M3/M5, Lotus, Solstice/Sky, Camaro, Mustang, 370Z, GTR, etc. Of course some responses will be strong. Just walk into say a bar in Philly and ask "Do you like the Eagles or Giants?" On second thought don't, you might not be around much longer.

Get notified of new replies

To Boxster S or Corvette?

Old 01-02-2010, 02:46 PM
OffHeGoes
Instructor

Originally Posted by phileaglesfan
Seanile,
We also see a lot of "Should I buy a Vette or ____?" threads on this site. Here are some I can remember. Boxster/Cayman/911, Z4, SLK, M3/M5, Lotus, Solstice/Sky, Camaro, Mustang, 370Z, GTR, etc. Of course some responses will be strong. Just walk into say a bar in Philly and ask "Do you like the Eagles or Giants?" On second thought don't, you might not be around much longer.
OMG if I walked into a bar down here in Florida and trashed talked the Gators, I'm totally going to miss having the 400hp Corvette when I need to make a quick escape!
Old 01-02-2010, 02:47 PM
cmonkey713
Race Director

Received 1,260 Likes on 920 Posts

Try posting " Thinking about buying a Corvette" on a Porsche forum and see what kind of response that gets!
Old 01-02-2010, 03:15 PM
vettedoogie
Le Mans Master

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I have always been a car guy. I have really liked a lot of different cars in my life.

The truth be told, I'm a roadster guy first, which goes back to my days of riding in the open air of the early 60's convertibles, the looks of Corvette, Cobra, and Austin Healey convertibles, and my many motorcycles.

My belief is that you need to have the wind blow through your hair while you still have some!

Ultimately, I could envision a circumstance where I could own a Boxter but only as part of a collection that included the Vette, not instead of one.

Quick Reply: Boxster S or Corvette?