C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Drone and Foam

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2009, 09:44 PM
turbo24
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drone and Foam

Doing a WB kit,
has anyone used the expandable foam in the rear fender wheels to control drone?
Old 12-29-2009, 10:03 PM
Wayne O
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Personally, if I had drone I'd eliminate the problem at the source instead of trying to cover it up. My gut reaction to your foam idea is don't do it but honestly, I don't know anything about it (most of the guys I know remove carpeting, etc. to lighten their car). I know Dynamat insulation is widely used in the cargo area and around the wheel tubs though. Good luck!
Old 12-29-2009, 10:17 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,485 Likes on 1,947 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

I don't know if it'd work; might be worth a shot. Only issue I might see is, heat. I don't know if the foams that I've seen used in construction are rated for heat, and at least in the back, there's a lot of heat from the exhaust. Make sure it doesn't become an issue first because we'd rather not read about a recent WB conversion that burned up.
Old 12-30-2009, 12:14 AM
NYC6
Team Owner

Received 207 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by AORoads
I don't know if it'd work; might be worth a shot. Only issue I might see is, heat. I don't know if the foams that I've seen used in construction are rated for heat, and at least in the back, there's a lot of heat from the exhaust. Make sure it doesn't become an issue first because we'd rather not read about a recent WB conversion that burned up.
Good point Bill and I'll add, alot of those construction foams expand so much they can actually force wood and aluminum out of position. Im pretty sure it will move thin plastic body doing its thing.
Old 12-30-2009, 12:42 AM
TKO Performance
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 279 Likes on 222 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

You might want to consider checking out BLOCKIT
Super simple. Real effective. Takes the edge of interior noise from exhaust & tire noise.
Hopefully the search function will work for you (its on the blink right now) but there is a ton of threads and posts about it

We just sold out but we are doing another run and should have them in about 2-3 weeks.

CLICK HERE http://store.tkoperformance.com/acousticsystem.html

Ed

Serving The Corvette Forum For 23 Years!!

Allow us to add you to the list of extremely satisfied customers.
Order Securely Online 24/7: http://tkoperformance.com/index.html
Feel Free To Contact Us By Phone: 1800 -778- 9898 Monday- Friday 9:00am to 4:30pm

Click Here: http://www.facebook.com/pages/TKO-Pe...e/367433626633
Old 12-30-2009, 01:06 AM
dumpster
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by turbo24
Doing a WB kit,
has anyone used the expandable foam in the rear fender wheels to control drone?
Don't know about foam, but do know that Block-It and Cargo Mats will not have a noticeable reduction in drone. I installed B&B Fusion mufflers (and love them), but drone becomes annoying sometimes on the highway and around town at certain rpms. Get the B&B Fusion kit with dual mode selection stuff and you are set. I wanted to run them on "wild" all the time cause I like it (installed Block-It and matts), but find myself now "pushing the button" to quiet it down on occasion.

Please don't foam!
Old 12-30-2009, 01:20 AM
need-for-speed
Team Owner

Received 865 Likes on 608 Posts
CI 1-4-5-8-9-10 Vet
St. Jude Donor '03,'04,'05,'07,08,'09,'10,’17

Foam would be a mistake. That stuff expands with quite a bit of of force. You could easily pop out a body panel. DON't do it !

The problem with exhaust resonance ("drone") is that it is a low frequency noise. Insulation or foam will not supress it. Low frequency sound energy will penetrate anything. To fix it - you have to remove the source.

I have followed "drone" threads here for 9 years. I even went through it myself w/ my C5 and a certain aftermarket exhaust. It's sad to see how many people keep throwing good money after bad with x-pipes, dynomat, etc,

If you have an aftermarket exhaust system that is anything other than Corsa, it will probably have resonance issues that will never be eliminated.

Get notified of new replies

To Drone and Foam

Quick Reply: Drone and Foam