C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Key fob, broken?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2009, 10:23 AM
BAblackvette
Burning Brakes

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Key fob, broken?

Hey guys, my Driver #1 fob has been on the fritz recently, and ive been having trouble getting it to work. It started out fine, and then randomly didnt work every once and a while. Now it doesnt work at all, like the battery is dead, but there is a new battery in it. Do I need a new fob or can this one be repaired somehow?
Old 12-28-2009, 12:18 PM
Tikiman12
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

there is away to reset the fob. something about putting it in the glove box i think.
But what i really wanna comment on is, do you have an iphone or a phone with 3G? if so thats the cause of alot of fob problems. keep them in seperate pockets
Old 12-28-2009, 12:45 PM
Knob Jockey
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 208 Likes on 172 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15

The slot in the glove box doesn't actually re-set the Fob, but it provides the best 'connection' to the car in case you are in an area of high RF interference or the Fob battery is low.

If the car's battery is low, you can have problems with the Fob/etc. as well.

And as already mentioned, a cell phone/charger can affect the Fob too.
Old 12-28-2009, 12:53 PM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,276 Likes on 935 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21-'22-'23-'24

Actually, the slot in the glove box seems to work even if the fob battery is dead, as long as you leave the battery in the fob to complete the connection.

You might want to check the battery placement in the fob, just to be sure you put the positive side down.

Have not read any threads about fob repair. You may have to talk to the dealer if the other suggestions earlier in this thread don't work.
Old 12-28-2009, 12:57 PM
CO Lightfoot
Safety Car

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by BAblackvette
Hey guys, my Driver #1 fob has been on the fritz recently...
Does #2 fob work consistently OK?
Old 12-28-2009, 06:50 PM
brimee
Burning Brakes

Received 83 Likes on 43 Posts

I bought my car used and my #1 FOB never worked very well. I read all the post about radio interference but none of that made any sense because it was so random. I took it to the dealer while it was still under warranty and they replaced both FOBs.

Moral of this long story... Yes it is probably bad.

The new FOBs work right next to my cellphone, and any other electronic device that might be near by. I think there is vary little interference while around other electronic devices.
Old 12-28-2009, 06:57 PM
Red Cell
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CO Lightfoot
Does #2 fob work consistently OK?

Try FOB #2-if you have it. If it works then your FOB battery is about to go...

(Just replaced my FOB battery today-proactive measure).

Red Cell.
Old 12-28-2009, 07:22 PM
vettedoogie
Le Mans Master

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Car battery issues can certainly make it look like your fob isn't working.
Old 12-28-2009, 07:52 PM
BAblackvette
Burning Brakes

Fob #2 works fine, just number one, its probably toast ill have to get a new one, anyone know the best place to order one? Thanks for the input guys, really appreciated
Old 12-28-2009, 08:51 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 435 Likes on 372 Posts

Since it is unlikely that the fob has gone bad, though certainly possible, I would first make sure the battery is oriented properly and the contacts are clean, then try it in the glovebox slot and see if it will start the car also. Fobs are expensive....
Old 12-28-2009, 09:02 PM
BAblackvette
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by cclive
Since it is unlikely that the fob has gone bad, though certainly possible, I would first make sure the battery is oriented properly and the contacts are clean, then try it in the glovebox slot and see if it will start the car also. Fobs are expensive....
Glovebox works fine with fob #1, And I used CRC contact cleaner on the whole inside of the fob, maybe its eatin through batteries for some reason? Is this a common problem of some sort?
Old 12-31-2009, 01:39 AM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 435 Likes on 372 Posts

No, this is not something I have heard of before. I can only figure that it is a power problem, as every fob that I have seen that works in the slot but not in the car...has had either a dead battery or an upside down battery. It could be that one of the battery contacts is broken, but I just can't figure any other explanation than a power problem. CRC is good stuff too, I have some. Sorry I can't be of more help.
Old 12-31-2009, 07:44 AM
FortMorganAl
Le Mans Master

Location: Currently somewhere in IL,IN,KY,TN,MO,AR,MS,AL, or FL
Received 228 Likes on 187 Posts

I always want to point out that the new battery that you buy is occasionally no better than the one you are replacing. Before spending a lot of money on a new FOB, try exchanging the batteries from #1 and #2.
Old 12-31-2009, 09:38 AM
BAblackvette
Burning Brakes

Great ideas guys, thanks for all the suggestions, will try these out today. Much appreciated!
Old 12-31-2009, 03:56 PM
LT1 Z51
Corvette Enthusiast
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 926 Likes on 615 Posts

Things like the way you hold the fob (angle) and the angle you approach the car from have great effects on the RF signal that the fob sends out.

If you want the best possible range on your fob, hold it next to your eye pointed directly at your car and hit a button (the reason when next to your eye you can get the angle perfect to your vision and thus aimed directly at the vehicle which makes for a better signal). It sounds crazy but it works.

If you keep your key clipped to your belt or in your pocket try pointing the top end toward the car by rotating it correctly, this also makes the connection better. RF is very "line of sight" sensitive.
Old 01-01-2010, 08:27 AM
FortMorganAl
Le Mans Master

Location: Currently somewhere in IL,IN,KY,TN,MO,AR,MS,AL, or FL
Received 228 Likes on 187 Posts

Originally Posted by LS3 MN6
Things like the way you hold the fob (angle) and the angle you approach the car from have great effects on the RF signal that the fob sends out.

If you want the best possible range on your fob, hold it next to your eye pointed directly at your car and hit a button (the reason when next to your eye you can get the angle perfect to your vision and thus aimed directly at the vehicle which makes for a better signal). It sounds crazy but it works.

If you keep your key clipped to your belt or in your pocket try pointing the top end toward the car by rotating it correctly, this also makes the connection better. RF is very "line of sight" sensitive.
Have you ever looked inside the FOB? The antenna isn't on the top. Covering the FOB with your hand could have a small effect but pointing it like it was a rifle is I've opened my rear hatch from about 100 yards simply by holding it away from my body. i.e. hold it at about shoulder height in the direction of the car. If I am within 150 feet the panic button works even with the FOB in my pocket. (Nice for when you forget where you parked.)
Old 01-01-2010, 01:47 PM
LT1 Z51
Corvette Enthusiast
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 926 Likes on 615 Posts

Originally Posted by FortMorganAl
Have you ever looked inside the FOB? The antenna isn't on the top. Covering the FOB with your hand could have a small effect but pointing it like it was a rifle is I've opened my rear hatch from about 100 yards simply by holding it away from my body. i.e. hold it at about shoulder height in the direction of the car. If I am within 150 feet the panic button works even with the FOB in my pocket. (Nice for when you forget where you parked.)
I know this may sound crazier but the physical antenna location isn't important, an RF device is "tuned" to provide a specific field, since most people grasp a fob a specific way (pointing the "top" toward the car) and thus the strongest side of the RF field that the antenna creates is going to be in that direction.

RF is like voodoo, when you see how it actually works you are like "Really?" I used to work for a company that makes keys, so I spent some time picking the brains of the RF folks.

Get notified of new replies

To Key fob, broken?

Quick Reply: Key fob, broken?