C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

It's Official: NHTSA Recall for Roof Delamination

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2009, 05:49 PM
REMIX
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Now if they'll just do a recall on the SAHS issues...

RMX
Old 12-28-2009, 06:01 PM
lander
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11

Originally Posted by REMIX
Now if they'll just do a recall on the SAHS issues...

RMX
Did you have the $10 clip installed under the dash? That resolved my SAHS issue.
Old 12-28-2009, 06:21 PM
hawkgfr
Race Director

Received 1,223 Likes on 833 Posts

Originally Posted by CMY SIX
all you had to do was go to the dealer and they will put the "new" latches in, had mine done last year 08
I figured that but I haven't done it since the clips worked pretty well....and I hate going to the dealer.

It will be nice of the new top just came fully assembled.
Old 12-28-2009, 07:00 PM
vetsvett
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by vetdude
keep an eye out for the recall notice and make sure you get it taken care of because if you don't and your roof flies off and hurts someone or some thing, GM is no longer liable.
Still confusing. This was my line of thinking a few years back when all this was going on, and still is. Mine however, did not exhibit and of the symptoms mentioned in the TSB or Recall, but I still took it in (to cover my azz). there was no seperation, but they still injected adhesive and all's been fine and dandy ever since.

So now I have to get a new roof panel that most likely won't color match my paint - but my azz will be covered should it fly off and injur someone even tho my current one was deemed "OK" and "You're covered"... So now I'm saying, If it aint broke don't fix it. if they'll let me keep my current roof I may consider. seems like a a bunch of govt horse hockey to me.
ok i'm done ranting.

Last edited by vetsvett; 12-28-2009 at 07:02 PM.
Old 12-28-2009, 07:45 PM
Wayne O
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by c54u
As stated in the article.

"The automaker will begin notifying owners in January and will reimburse motorists who have already gotten their roofs repaired or replaced."

Wonder if you bought a glass roof to replace the solid one, don't have a receipt because bought privately, wonder if gm will reimburse you? if they do, by how much? wonder if you still need the defective roof to give back. so many questions, i guess the answers will eventually surface.
I could be wrong but I can't imagine a glass roof would qualify...it's not a like replacement. Trying to get reimbursed for anything without a receipt or any valid proof of purchase is pretty sketchy...I don't know any business that would do that.
Old 12-28-2009, 10:02 PM
85Z514+3
Pro

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Does anyone have an idea how far into the 07 model year this recall will affect? VIN cutoff?
Old 12-28-2009, 10:08 PM
not08crmanymore
Team Owner

Received 139 Likes on 120 Posts

I'm mostly wondering if this includes glass tops..
No it does not.PAINTED ROOFS only.This has been going on for 3 years or so now.
Old 12-29-2009, 10:09 AM
Johnny Utah
Safety Car

Location: ,fl.Never, under any circumstances, take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same night.
Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

absolutley
Originally Posted by remix
now if they'll just do a recall on the sahs issues...

Rmx
Old 12-29-2009, 10:25 AM
Keith N
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

This is good news, but I'm concerned about matching my '06 Velocity Yellow paint.
Old 12-30-2009, 08:01 AM
aggie88
Drifting

Originally Posted by Keith N
This is good news, but I'm concerned about matching my '06 Velocity Yellow paint.
The TV news this morning recognized the recall from a few years back and noted this is a newrecall and the old recall did not completely fix the roofs.

I have read posts when the initial recall was going on that some had their roofs separate again after the fix - some even recommended keeping your car in the hot sun to "unglue" the top after it was fixed so to bring it back to the dealer for another shot at fixing it before the 3/36 warranty expired.

I had my 2005 MY roof fixed back in 06 and I it did not have any of the separation symptoms. But recently I have heard the snapping noises in the roof when going up driveways.

Anyway - not only is the color match not perfect, they left traces of glue all over my trunk area that I am still finding bits and traces today when I wax my car.
Old 12-30-2009, 08:04 AM
vetdude
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by aggie88
Anyway - not only is the color match not perfect, they left traces of glue all over my trunk area that I am still finding bits and traces today when I wax my car.
This is what concerns me most - color matching the Machine Silver paint.
Old 12-30-2009, 08:06 AM
aggie88
Drifting

Originally Posted by vetdude
This is what concerns me most - color matching the Machine Silver paint.
You have a better chance with Machine Silver for a good match. Reds and yellows are toughest to match because they contain more of the color spectrum (remember the rainbow ROYGBIV).
Old 12-30-2009, 08:10 AM
vetdude
Race Director

Originally Posted by aggie88
You have a better chance with Machine Silver for a good match. Reds and yellows are toughest to match because they contain more of the color spectrum (remember the rainbow ROYGBIV).
I once read that if a body shop doesn't match the spray gun's exact setting used at the factory that too much or too little silver fleck will be applied, thus causing the paint to appear lighter or darker. Keeping the fingers and toes crossed.
Old 12-30-2009, 08:50 AM
MARSC6
Le Mans Master

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts

Has there been any kind of VIN range released yet?
Old 12-30-2009, 08:54 AM
vetdude
Race Director

Originally Posted by MARSC6
Has there been any kind of VIN range released yet?
No, but I'd bet that it's the same range used for the TSB that was issued initially. You can get that by using the SEARCH button.
Old 12-30-2009, 10:47 AM
GOLD72
Race Director

Received 1,129 Likes on 731 Posts

Originally Posted by Keith N
I just had my 06 VY roof replaced last week. No problems with the color match. The replacement roofs are sent to the dealers unpainted so that the dealer can match the paint on your roof bow. So it depends upon your dealer taking the time to do the job right. My VY 06Z06 is now approaching four years old next month. It was safety inspected over 2-1/2 years ago and refoamed per GM protocol even though there was no separation at that time. My roof finally started to separate a couple of months ago. Those that cautioned that the roofs regardless of color would eventually fail were correct. The failures are due to the original polycarbonate plastic roof skins being incompatible with the glue used by GM's roof supplier. It has absolutely nothing to do with the roof supporting structure of either aluminum or magnesium as both Z06 and targa roof coupes have failed. The solution is SMC plastic roof skins which GM has decades of experience. Polycarbonate plastic roofs was a GM experiment with the start of the C6 generation of cars that has back-fired on GM in a big way.
Old 12-30-2009, 10:49 AM
vetdude
Race Director

Originally Posted by GOLD72
I just had my 06 VY roof replaced last week. No problems with the color match. The replacement roofs are sent to the dealers unpainted so that the dealer can match the paint on your roof bow. So it depends upon your dealer taking the time to do the job right. My VY 06Z06 is now approaching four years old next month. It was safety inspected over 2-1/2 years ago and refoamed per GM protocol even though there was no separation at that time. My roof finally started to separate a couple of months ago. Those that cautioned that the roofs regardless of color would eventually fail were correct. The failures are due to the original polycarbonate plastic roof skins being incompatible with the glue used by GM's roof supplier. It has absolutely nothing to do with the roof supporting structure of either aluminum or magnesium as both Z06 and targa roof coupes have failed. The solution is SMC plastic roof skins which GM has decades of experience. Polycarbonate plastic roofs was a GM experiment with the start of the C6 generation of cars that has back-fired on GM in a big way.
Thanks for the input.

Get notified of new replies

To It's Official: NHTSA Recall for Roof Delamination

Old 12-30-2009, 01:11 PM
ShockwaveGT
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just called the GM 800 number, gave them my VIN and they said there are no open recalls for my vehicle.

I DID already have the handles replaced and the adhesive repaired when I noticed rattling a year or so ago.

The way both the GM rep and the dealer service manager explained it was that again, according to my VIN there is no open recall for the vehicle.

I mentioned all this new info regarding the recall of the recall, explaining that the previous adhesive fix is now being recalled by replacing the entire roof rather than repairing it.

Their answer was that "if you are not currently noticing any problems with the roof then there is not a recall issue."

Am I living in crazy land? The whole point of a recall is to replace/repair something BEFORE it caused a problem right?

So in other words, if GM is aware that a previous fix or an issue COULD cause a problem, they recall it before it fails.

But the way it's being explained to me by both GM and the dealer is that I'd have to have a problem with it, either noticing it rattling again or it flying off on the highway before they'd replace it. That's more like a warranty issue than a recall if you ask me.

So what's going on here and how the hell do we get it addressed if both the GM rep and the dealer are acting like the news on this recall doesn't exist?

EDIT
After reading the service bulletin it says " THE SAFETY RECALL IS EXPECTED TO BEGIN DURING JANUARY 2010."

I'm guessing the dealer and the GM rep are telling me there is no open recall because it hasn't actually been passed through yet? So the news is reporting it...and it's "official" at this point, but they aren't actually addressing it until Jan? So I guess wait a month and see if it goes from "no open recalls on your vehicle" to the roof actually being recalled?

Last edited by ShockwaveGT; 12-30-2009 at 01:16 PM.
Old 12-30-2009, 01:15 PM
vetdude
Race Director

Next contact:

NHTSA Headquarters
1200 New Jersey Avenue, SE
West Building
Washington, DC 20590

Toll-Free: 1-888-327-4236
Hearing Impaired (TTY): 1-800-424-9153

Media inquiries: 202-366-9550
Old 12-30-2009, 01:42 PM
aloandnina
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I called the 1800 number they ran my VIN and I am good.

Quick Reply: It's Official: NHTSA Recall for Roof Delamination