C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First Frozen day in Texas - Window Broke...

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2009, 03:40 PM
madcadr
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default First Frozen day in Texas - Window Broke...

Well, went out to start my car today after the first good freeze here in D/FW - And, it felt funny when I opened the door but did not think much of it. Started the car, Loaded up the dog, went to shut the door -And, the door would not shut. Noticed that the window did not come down the 1 inch or so when opening. Tried the window button - No luck. Went in - Got some water and poured onto the window to loosen up what was frozen - No luck. Let it thaw for over 20 minutes with defrost on - No luck.

Decised that I needed to go whether it would close or not - So, I slamed the door shut and took off frusterated...

Got to the dog park and went to open the door - It went down the 1 inch or so - YEA !!!! But, now, when you shut the door - IT WILL NOT GO UP - ARGHHHHHHHH!!!!!!

Something definately broke.

I wish the old option of regular ROLL-UP windows with a crank was still available - I HATE all of this fancy computer crap that tries to think for you - Just more stuff to break and more stuff that is unreliable in bad weather.

My car is a daily driver - And, I need it to work Daily.

Oh well, under warranty - going to dealership Monday.
Old 12-25-2009, 03:59 PM
USAF_C6
Burning Brakes

I would just re-index the window first. Might save you a trip to the dealer.
Old 12-25-2009, 04:24 PM
C6NRED
Le Mans Master

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by USAF_C6
I agree -- do a search here on window indexing and there will be LOTS of information on this issue!....
Old 12-25-2009, 04:38 PM
mbonness
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Window indexing

I've had to re-index the windows a couple times recently, it's a very simple procedure you can try to see if it solves the problem before heading into the dealer:

1. Hold the window switch up for 3 seconds.
2. Wait for 3 seconds.
3. Hold the window switch up for 3 seconds.
Old 12-25-2009, 04:48 PM
Wayne O
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by madcadr
...I wish the old option of regular ROLL-UP windows with a crank was still available - I HATE all of this fancy computer crap that tries to think for you - Just more stuff to break and more stuff that is unreliable in bad weather....
Yea....and they should bring back the hand-crank starter too!

PS I'd also to re-index the window before visiting the dealership.
Old 12-25-2009, 04:51 PM
tanko
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by USAF_C6
Yep. The procedure is well-explained in the Owners Manual as well. I hope the fix is that simple for you.

The Dallas Morning News today said that this is the first time since recording began in 1898 that DFW received snow on Dec 24. So it was a rare White Christmas for us. Unfortunately, as a result the roads were a mess last night and early this morning, with a number of accidents. Fortunately our plans for a large family luncheon at our home were not disrupted, as the icy slush rapidly melted this morning in the sunshine, but I'm sure many folks' plans for the holiday were hurt.

Last edited by tanko; 12-25-2009 at 04:57 PM.
Old 12-26-2009, 12:09 AM
rmedina
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Got some water and poured onto the window to loosen up what was frozen
Tell me you did not use hot water..
Old 12-26-2009, 07:35 AM
MARSC6
Le Mans Master

Received 47 Likes on 32 Posts

Something similar happened to me already. Everytime I opened the door it indexed down but would not go up. The switch wouldn't make it go up either so it wouldn't index. I had to disconnect the battery for a minute then I was able to use the indexing procedure.
Old 12-26-2009, 07:40 AM
FortMorganAl
Le Mans Master

Location: Currently somewhere in IL,IN,KY,TN,MO,AR,MS,AL, or FL
Received 228 Likes on 187 Posts

Originally Posted by Wayne O
Yea....and they should bring back the hand-crank starter too!

PS I'd also to re-index the window before visiting the dealership.
Dealership should NOT be the first response. That is unless you also need to get a manual choke installed to make the engine easier to start.
Old 12-26-2009, 07:47 AM
Tom/99
Team Owner

Received 128 Likes on 96 Posts

I wish the old option of regular ROLL-UP windows with a crank was still available - I HATE all of this fancy computer crap that tries to think for you - Just more stuff to break and more stuff that is unreliable in bad weather.

:
Old 12-26-2009, 10:51 AM
madcadr
Racer

Dealership IS the first responce because this is a 50K car with a 3 year 36k mile bumper-to-bumper warranty that I expect to work. I should not have to learn how to INDEX things when my car only is one year old and has only 8k miles on it. Damnit - when I buy something with a warranty - I use it... EVEN if I know how to fix the problem myself.

Heck, I know how to overhaul an engine - But, won't do that if I have a problem with the engine while under warranty.

Some of you hardcore guys just REALLY love putting up with the same-ol CRAP on a vette that still soesn't work right. Then, when someoen has problems with it - you say we are an idiot for not knowing how to index a window?

Well, I will try to go INDEX the window just because I don;t have time this week to waste going to the dealership - But, that is the only reason.

Thanks everyone for explaining a solution called INDEXING that may work. I appreciate your help.

But, I will never change - I would rather have the engine, body style (And sometimes transmision) of the vette WITHOUT all of the fancy electronic crap. My first viper had NO computer assistance whatsoever..... ANd, I LOVED IT. Just engine, trans, looks, and ME. Nothing ever went wrong with that car.

Look at it this way: Just for having a PUSH button start system - GM had to install the following useless items:

1 - Key fob holder in glovebox if key fob battery is dead.
2 - release latch and cabling for the drivers side.
3 - release latch and cabling for the passengers side
4 - release latch and cable for the trunk
5 - hidden key hole in the rear of the car
6 - hidden key in the fob...

WTF???????

Just put on a lock and key system and quit wasting ,money on CRAP I don;t need.

Just my opinion...

Oh yea, - I did not use hot water
Old 12-26-2009, 02:15 PM
Max EPR
Racer

If you re-index the window and that does not help then you likely have a failed electric door lock button on the outside of the door. I had the very same problem and it's a common one I'm told.
Old 12-26-2009, 02:27 PM
Blue42
Racer

This happened to me as well, but it seemed to fix itself the next day, guess I got lucky.
Old 12-26-2009, 03:02 PM
johnodrake

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,589 Likes on 1,626 Posts

Dealership IS the first responce because this is a 50K car with a 3 year 36k mile bumper-to-bumper warranty that I expect to work. I should not have to learn how to INDEX things when my car only is one year old and has only 8k miles on it. Damnit - when I buy something with a warranty - I use it... EVEN if I know how to fix the problem myself.

Heck, I know how to overhaul an engine - But, won't do that if I have a problem with the engine while under warranty.

Some of you hardcore guys just REALLY love putting up with the same-ol CRAP on a vette that still soesn't work right. Then, when someoen has problems with it - you say we are an idiot for not knowing how to index a window?

Well, I will try to go INDEX the window just because I don;t have time this week to waste going to the dealership - But, that is the only reason.

Thanks everyone for explaining a solution called INDEXING that may work. I appreciate your help.

But, I will never change - I would rather have the engine, body style (And sometimes transmision) of the vette WITHOUT all of the fancy electronic crap. My first viper had NO computer assistance whatsoever..... ANd, I LOVED IT. Just engine, trans, looks, and ME. Nothing ever went wrong with that car.

Look at it this way: Just for having a PUSH button start system - GM had to install the following useless items:

1 - Key fob holder in glovebox if key fob battery is dead.
2 - release latch and cabling for the drivers side.
3 - release latch and cabling for the passengers side
4 - release latch and cable for the trunk
5 - hidden key hole in the rear of the car
6 - hidden key in the fob...

WTF???????

Just my opinion...

Oh yea, - I did not use hot water
Time is money! I had much rather do a 30 second proceedure than spend a half a day of my time dealing with the dealer.
Old 12-26-2009, 04:19 PM
Zoxxo
Safety Car

Received 266 Likes on 98 Posts

All that "crap" also got rid of the ancient, useless, column steering lock BS and made the cars much harder to steal.

RTFM! (Or maybe "get a horse!")

Cripes.

Z//
Old 12-26-2009, 05:48 PM
gbgary
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

nothing is broken and the weather had nothing to do with it. just take a few seconds to reindex and it'll be fine. you'll have to do this periodically for what ever reason. it'll take more time to explain your problem then it'll take to do the reindex.

Originally Posted by johnodrake
Time is money! I had much rather do a 30 second proceedure than spend a half a day of my time dealing with the dealer.
this!!
Old 12-26-2009, 05:54 PM
wolfdogs
Le Mans Master

Location: Stafford VA, home of our wolf den. No house break ins to date.
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by rmedina
Tell me you did not use hot water..
amen..dont EVER put hot water on a frozen auto glass. I witnessed a neighbor shatter his windshield like that.

Get notified of new replies

To First Frozen day in Texas - Window Broke...

Old 12-26-2009, 07:50 PM
Zoxxo
Safety Car

Received 266 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by gbgary
just take a few seconds to reindex and it'll be fine. you'll have to do this periodically for what ever reason.
3 years+ years & 47k miles and I have never had to do this. My wife's C6 is 3+ years & 28k miles and she's never had to do it. I wonder what it is that people do that makes this occur.

Z//
Old 12-26-2009, 08:44 PM
TEXHAWK0
Le Mans Master

Received 787 Likes on 539 Posts

I would go back to hand crank windows in a second if they were available. The only things I have had fail on my C5 are electrical, including the window regulators. I am just glad mine do not have to index everytime I open the door, since I flinch everytime I have to roll down my windows, afraid they either will not roll down, or will not go back up.
Old 12-26-2009, 10:38 PM
Carnac
Drifting

Received 125 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by TEXHAWK0
I would go back to hand crank windows in a second if they were available. The only things I have had fail on my C5 are electrical, including the window regulators. I am just glad mine do not have to index everytime I open the door, since I flinch everytime I have to roll down my windows, afraid they either will not roll down, or will not go back up.
I've had crank window mechanisms fail (although not as often as the electric type). GM was going to go with manual crank windows for the C5 hardtop (that became the C5 Z06) but found that they cost and weighed more then electric. There are some things in the Corvette that would be just fine with a little less electronics (like the ignition), but I have to admit it is pretty cool when it is working (almost all of the time for me) and that old style stuff breaks or doesn't work from time to time too.

Quick Reply: First Frozen day in Texas - Window Broke...