C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First Supercar Ever?

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2009, 06:11 PM
TurboLuigi
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

TJComer02,

Ever thought about a GS based Callaway C16? It will give you the best of what the Z06 has to offer along with all of the performance pieces: adjustable suspension, Supercharged (650 or 700HP - more power than the ZR1), Carbon Fiber Wheels, Lemans Brake Kit, and an interior to match any European Exotic in any of 400+ colors to choose from with Real Leather (not the plasticky type), Alcantara, and Wool Carpets.

These cars are built to order, not the kind of thing you can pull up to a dealer and drive a stock item off the lot.

It is a truly elegant and fast car.

More info about these cars is found in this book I published on the C16.

Using my car as an example, I detail the history of the Callaway C16, options, and pictures of how my car was built, etc.

-Luigi

Last edited by TurboLuigi; 12-25-2009 at 06:14 PM.
Old 12-25-2009, 06:37 PM
torquetube
Le Mans Master

Received 655 Likes on 474 Posts

Originally Posted by Red86Cfour
I think pound for pound, a base C6 wins. For the "market increase" on a ZR1 at my local dealer you could buy a second brand new 3LT.
If we're going to pretend "pound for pound" means performance-per-dollar, then a Tata Nano beats them all.

If the OP is loaded and is seriously considering a ZR1, I think he should get one rather than fiddle around with a Z06 + aftermarket supercharger.

I don't see why the garish GT1 sticker package makes the Z06 an especially good starting point for a supercharger installation, either.
Old 12-25-2009, 06:50 PM
JERGENSEN LS3
Melting Slicks

Location: New Jersey - National Corvette Museum Member '08, '09, '10, '11, '12
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OP, what do you have now...? base Corvette ?
Old 12-25-2009, 07:41 PM
C6NRED
Le Mans Master

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Hmmmmmmm....both of these links bring up the whole forum main page for me. Was there a particular thread you were trying to reference? This DOES sound interesting after all!
If you search all of his posts, he's been a busy boy talking big talk here all year. When he drives his new Corvette, be it base, GS, ZO6 or ZR1 up to my house and gives me a ride, then and only then am I going to believe another post....

Last edited by C6NRED; 12-25-2009 at 07:52 PM.
Old 12-25-2009, 07:55 PM
OffHeGoes
Instructor

http://www.caranddriver.com/features...51_z06-feature

Car & Driver did an article a while back, their opinions on Z51 vs Z06 vs ZR1.

Last edited by OffHeGoes; 12-25-2009 at 07:58 PM.
Old 12-26-2009, 01:31 AM
TJComer02
Intermediate

Wow! That's alot to take in. Thank you guys for answering so quickly. All those telling me to go buy other cars like the zonda and porsche, if I wanted some overpriced eurotrash that just sounds good, I think ya'll are in the wrong forum. This is all about the muscle. I'm not one of those guys that just because I have a few extra bucks is going to buy a car that looks like it's expensive and fast, that's just not me. The reason I buy cars is because I like 'em, and for no other reason. And I am a vette guy, hands down, though there are a few other american cars I do like, but I will not dare say here which ones, but at least they're American cars! I guess it's that the z06 was always my favorite, and now we have this new zr1. It's a dilemma for me, because there's just something in me that likes the 7.0 LS7 for some reason. I guess what i'm trying to say is that I cannot put my finger on why I've always liked the z06, but I have. And now that I'm at the point I just don't know if I can bring myself to buy a zr1 first, because I can slap a supercharger on that sucker and pretty much beat anything. Also, the guy who mentioned the Callaway, that's a good choice too, always have wanted one. Anyway, I love the CSR edition, which is only the 2009 models, correct? I do like the GT1's with Jake on the seats! I think you people have the idea that I'm the owner of an oil company or something with the Zonda and porsche comments, I do make quite a bit, but I just started to make it. I've got a few months before I can buy stuff like that, and even if I had the money, i still wouldn't spend 500 grand on something like that, with that money I could buy 10 vettes and give them to less fortunate people, which I'd much rather do.
Old 12-26-2009, 03:33 AM
ckw
Pro

Originally Posted by TJComer02
but I just started to make it. I've got a few months before I can buy stuff like that, and even if I had the money, i still wouldn't spend 500 grand on something like that, with that money I could buy 10 vettes and give them to less fortunate people, which I'd much rather do.
Don't you just love these stupid dorky obama kids.

Hay, you dumn azz, why don't you just walk, or better yet, ride that public transportation we all pay for, and give it all to the less fortunate.

Why don't you just donate it to obama, and let him decide what to do with the money you make.
Old 12-26-2009, 03:37 AM
ckw
Pro

TJComer02,
bet you have never given a dime to Charity, including the Salvation Army out in front of the Wal-Mart you steal from.
Old 12-26-2009, 04:10 AM
gregm999
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ckw
TJComer02,
bet you have never given a dime to Charity, including the Salvation Army out in front of the Wal-Mart you steal from.
Not sure what your problem is. The OP asked a simple question, no need to make the rest of us Corvette owners look bad with your ignorant comments.

To the OP, if you can afford the ZR1, why not pull the trigger on one? The Z06 is an amazing car, but the ZR1 is just better in every way. Plus you'll have something a bit more exclusive and rare. I've yet to even see a ZR1 on the street. Plus, it is probably the fastest Corvette that GM will build for a long time, if ever. Can't go wrong!
Old 12-26-2009, 07:37 AM
tomzarbo
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Default If it were me...

What's up guys. I guess you could say that I am doing pretty good, at least that's the way things are looking. After a very rough past 3 or 4 years, one of my products has finally hit it big. and now i'm ready to buy my first real "supercar." The vette has always been my first love, but now I have a dilemma, the Z06 or ZR1? I've heard from some that the z06 is a better handling car? I've heard it's faster basically pound for pound, and it's cheaper, which is not really a concern for me now, but I'd like to save more money to buy something else on the side. Especially since the GT1 z06's have come out, it's really got me thinking about getting one and putting a supercharger with low boost or maybe just some upgrades and adding 150 extra hp. What do you guys think. Now, don't think that' just because I haven't owned a brand new supercar means I'm not experienced. I have managed to own a few "supercars" though with alot of miles on them, and I know how to handle HP.
What a fun conundrum to be in!

I have some thoughts... Even my '06 LS2 powered vette has enough power for me to consider it to be "rediculous" in that category. I know that more power is always better, even though I rarely use the majority of the power my Vette has, still it's nice tapping into a percentage of it occasionally, and more would probably be better...

But my point is that even the base Vette really has enough juice for almost any situation in my opinion.

So, with all I've read about the ride quality of both the Z06 and the ZR1, (admittedly, I haven't driven either) it sounds like the ZR1 is the more streetable of the two believe it or not. The ride tends to be more comfortable for cruising the street and I've heard it was generally a little more comfortable for longer trips. I think the Z06 is more race-oriented, with it's stiffer ride and more aggressive nature. Not that the ZR1 can't be aggressive, but I think the Z06 is really targeted at the racing crowd. Again, that's what I've picked up in my many readings about various Vettes over the last few years.

So, if it were me, and I were going to use in mostly on the street... and use it a lot , and I didn't want a convertible, then I'd probably be leaning towards the ZR1. Finances notwithstanding.

TomZ
Old 12-26-2009, 09:20 AM
z51vett
Le Mans Master

Received 277 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by cthusker
Perhaps he means dollar for dollar the Z is the best bang for the buck?
And gets better gas mileage too friends ZR1 get 12 miles to gal. His Z and mine get close to 20 or better.
z51vett
Old 12-26-2009, 10:20 AM
LMB-C6
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Callaway.
Old 12-26-2009, 10:20 AM
goatts
Safety Car

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Wow! That's alot to take in. Thank you guys for answering so quickly. All those telling me to go buy other cars like the zonda and porsche, if I wanted some overpriced eurotrash that just sounds good, I think ya'll are in the wrong forum.
Look dude, you asked for opinions and that was their opinion. Zonda and Porsche are hardly trash. Zonda is in the same realm as the Veyron and the GT3 is one of the best handling cars on the planet.
Old 12-26-2009, 10:52 AM
TWOBUELLS
Drifting

Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by ckw
TJComer02,
Old 12-26-2009, 11:55 AM
TJComer02
Intermediate

Do you guys know how to take a joke? And first of all NEVER< EVER EVER confuse me for an obama kid, first of all obama kids don't buy vettes they buy prius' and act like they're making a difference. I was just joking. The point I'm trying to make is that rather than waste my money on euro cars that are overpriced, I'd rather get a vette of any kind, any day, any time. For those callimg me an obama kid, you'd better think twice. And I thought this forum was about american muscle not euro exotics, which makes me wonder why I've seen a few replies about others wanting porsches and loving zondas and such. Not to be ugly or anything but to me it's hard to believe a vette lover can like those cars.
Old 12-26-2009, 11:57 AM
TJComer02
Intermediate

Originally Posted by goatts
Look dude, you asked for opinions and that was their opinion. Zonda and Porsche are hardly trash. Zonda is in the same realm as the Veyron and the GT3 is one of the best handling cars on the planet.
C'mon man, like I said I was joking. I respect others' opinions. I think they took me saying I had the money to buy any vette as meaning that I was an overnight millionaire which just isn't the case as of this point.
Old 12-26-2009, 11:58 AM
CMY SIX
Safety Car

Received 104 Likes on 92 Posts

my kingdom to get rid of these TROLLS!

Get notified of new replies

To First Supercar Ever?

Old 12-26-2009, 11:59 AM
TJComer02
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ckw
TJComer02,
Never stole anything in my life. As a matter of fact I'm only 27 and I bet I've earned much more money than you have by working hard and never being given a dime. So before you start making stupid comments think twice before you open your mouth.
Old 12-26-2009, 12:00 PM
TJComer02
Intermediate

Originally Posted by CMY SIX
my kingdom to get rid of these TROLLS!
Please tell me you're going to get rid of those trolls who are bringing the eurocar love in this vette forum
Old 12-26-2009, 12:01 PM
slorp train
Instructor

Do you guys know how to take a joke? And first of all NEVER< EVER EVER confuse me for an obama kid, first of all obama kids don't buy vettes they buy prius' and act like they're making a difference. I was just joking. The point I'm trying to make is that rather than waste my money on euro cars that are overpriced, I'd rather get a vette of any kind, any day, any time. For those callimg me an obama kid, you'd better think twice. And I thought this forum was about american muscle not euro exotics, which makes me wonder why I've seen a few replies about others wanting porsches and loving zondas and such. Not to be ugly or anything but to me it's hard to believe a vette lover can like those cars.
How do you find it hard that someone that likes or owns a vette can also like a porsche or pagoni. Lets be real here the vettes a great bang for the buck but its not an exotic. 2 totally different class of cars.

Quick Reply: First Supercar Ever?