C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How "hardcore" a Vette owner are you??

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2009, 11:02 PM
The NNIAL8R
Team Owner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11,'13
"I voluntarily took 60 days off from OT"
Default How "hardcore" a Vette owner are you??

My son asked me a hypothetical question today..

Would I sell my Vettes for a million dollars if it meant I couldnt ever buy another one...Not only that, I could never buy another "cool" car PERIOD...Just basic transportation such as a Honda Accord, etc...

My answer was NO...My Vettes (and driving them) are such an integral part of my life I couldnt take such an offer

How about YOU???
Old 12-24-2009, 11:07 PM
AtHomeSoda
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default ah...

Good question... not sure of the answer... a Million is a lot...and the word "Buy".... I could Build a car.. lol... hummmmm... ok.. I will just keep my COOL cars....maybe a million is not that much...
Old 12-24-2009, 11:11 PM
spin-doktor
Drifting

whoa, thats a tuff one.
Old 12-24-2009, 11:12 PM
Zymurgy

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15,117 Likes on 6,190 Posts

I'd take the million and LEASE a new Corvette every 24 months or less.
Old 12-24-2009, 11:16 PM
AbsolutHank
Melting Slicks

Received 297 Likes on 91 Posts

Well, I was going to say hell yea I'd sell them...I'd sell just about any car really. Fortunately, or unfortunately, I do not get attached to my cars.

With that said, if I couldn't get back into another cool car, man oh man...probably not. While I'm not anywhere close to a millionaire, a million isn't thaaaattttt much
Old 12-24-2009, 11:20 PM
bob guzzy
Safety Car

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

No I can't live without a corvette, I started buying them at 20 years old and at 60 don't plan on stopping, anytime soon I hope.
Old 12-24-2009, 11:21 PM
Rossi6998
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by The NNIAL8R
My son asked me a hypothetical question today..

Would I sell my Vettes for a million dollars if it meant I couldnt ever buy another one...Not only that, I could never buy another "cool" car PERIOD...Just basic transportation such as a Honda Accord, etc...

My answer was NO...My Vettes (and driving them) are such an integral part of my life I couldnt take such an offer

How about YOU???
Okay... What are you feeding that kid??? You protect him, pay for his education, and he asks you a question like that...

Not sure what I would do...
Old 12-24-2009, 11:26 PM
AtHomeSoda
Melting Slicks

Default ah...

Originally Posted by Zymurgy
I'd take the million and LEASE a new Corvette every 24 months or less.
LOOP HOLE.... we have a lawyer....
Old 12-24-2009, 11:29 PM
The NNIAL8R
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '11,'13

Originally Posted by rossi6998
Okay... What are you feeding that kid??? You protect him, pay for his education, and he asks you a question like that...

Not sure what I would do...
Actually, it was a discussion about music that led to it...He's a heavy metal drummer...a very good one at that.....But he's been having limited success in doing it for a living...(which is his dream)..I suggested he play a different kind of music..He said him being successful at playing music he didnt like would be like me giving up my Vettes for a million dollars and never being able to drive a vehicle that brought me enjoyment....He has a point
Old 12-24-2009, 11:34 PM
Restroom
Instructor

What the hell would I do with a million dollars if I couldn't buy cars with it? I mean, sure, I could feed the other expensive hobbies, but life would be hollow.

If, however, we literally interpret the "Vette owner" part to bend the question with, eschewing the part about "any performance car", I have to say I'd trade my cheap-*** C6 for whatever non-Vettes I could get with a million. Don't get me wrong, I positively adore my Vette, but it's not a memberof my family. Hell, it's not even a pet. It's a car. I have an unreasonable fondness for cars, granted, but there are a LOT of cool cars out there other than what's in my garage at the moment. Long as it ain't a Ford, that's my only prejudice.
Old 12-24-2009, 11:37 PM
AtHomeSoda
Melting Slicks

Default Ok...

Actually, it was a discussion about music that led to it...He's a heavy metal drummer...a very good one at that.....But he's been having limited success in doing it for a living...(which is his dream)..I suggested he play a different kind of music..He said him being successful at playing music he didnt like would be like me giving up my Vettes for a million dollars and never being able to drive a vehicle that brought me enjoyment....He has a point
My son.cut a CD... it did not sell well... I loved it... even though it was not MY kind of music... ok I love rock... and a LOT of new stuff... but... it seems the people who like heavy metal... have no money... jobs.. and such.... I agree... it is a talent,... and I like it... It is REALLY hard to get paid for what you love to do... tell him... to KEEP doing what he loves... work normal jobs to pay bills... It may pay off... it did for me... not music, but.. I do what I love.

Last edited by AtHomeSoda; 12-24-2009 at 11:39 PM.
Old 12-24-2009, 11:38 PM
grea81
Racer

Yes he does have a point. Finding a passion and then getting paid for it is the formula for a happy and productive life. I hope your son can make the sacrifices that are usually required to reach a place where someone will pay him to do what he loves. Good luck to him.

As for my vette, NEVER - I have been driving them for over 30 years and I will be buried in one.
Old 12-24-2009, 11:43 PM
vettedoogie
Le Mans Master

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Well, I love cool trucks, cool bikes, cool boats, etc. I'll take that mil!
Old 12-24-2009, 11:47 PM
The NNIAL8R
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '11,'13

Originally Posted by AtHomeSoda
My son.cut a CD... it did not sell well... I loved it... even though it was not MY kind of music... ok I love rock... and a LOT of new stuff... but... it seems the people who like heavy metal... have no money... jobs.. and such.... I agree... it is a talent,... and I like it... It is REALLY hard to get paid for what you love to do... tell him... to KEEP doing what he loves... work normal jobs to pay bills... It may pay off... it did for me... not music, but.. I do what I love.
I agree....Im a drummer too...I played country for many years..never made enough $ to make a living doing it, but it certainly paid better than what my kid earns doing it.....He gets frustrated when I tell him my cut was more than his entire band earns for a gig..but not frustrated enough to start playing country....I tell him that's where the $$ is....He says that's where it can stay!!

My band...

His band...
Old 12-24-2009, 11:47 PM
stockticker
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

a hypothetical question today..

How about YOU???
I would take the million dollars and give my wife some money to buy me a new cool car for my next birthday; and I would take $20-30k and buy myself a Toyota Prius for my new DD.
Old 12-24-2009, 11:48 PM
4thC4at60
Le Mans Master

Received 2,940 Likes on 1,310 Posts

I've been around Corvettes in one way or another since 1953, but in the end it's just a car, so for a million dollars certainly it would be gone. I'd spend the million dollars traveling. I've been in 58 countries so only have 130 or so to go.
Old 12-24-2009, 11:49 PM
Mike Green9
Drifting

Received 136 Likes on 110 Posts

Somethings are more important than $.

I get such a pleasure rush every time I drive or even look at my C6. A million $, yikes, that a chunk of change. But I would keep the C6.

M.....

Get notified of new replies

To How "hardcore" a Vette owner are you??

Old 12-24-2009, 11:50 PM
ncvette_1FUNRIDE
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 260 Likes on 221 Posts
2015 C6 of the Year Finalist

As much as I love my new Corvette, I'd have to take that million.
Old 12-24-2009, 11:51 PM
Rocketmanwpb
Safety Car

Received 465 Likes on 238 Posts

Heck yah, I could then buy a non-cool car like a Corvette.
Old 12-24-2009, 11:55 PM
Wayne O
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Is that million dollars tax free?

Quick Reply: How "hardcore" a Vette owner are you??