C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"Trickle Charger"?

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2009, 09:48 AM
alexdogwood
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "Trickle Charger"?

Ok...yes this is the first year I have stored my vehicle so I have a ton of questions. I just purchased A "Schumacher speed charger" from auto zone. After reading the instructions it looks like i need to set it to Auto Charge mode, then once it is done it switches to "maintain mode" is this a trickle charger? Can I really keep this thing on the battery for 1.5 years? Any suggestions?

Thanks to everyone for all of the questions you have answered thus far!!

Matt
Old 12-24-2009, 11:19 AM
wagonerjim
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not sure on that one, but I use a CTEK.

It supposed to be the best and I installed and just selected the car mode and it does everything else!

Good luck with yours.
Old 12-24-2009, 11:23 AM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,931 Likes on 4,811 Posts

I use a Battery Tender what you have sounds similar once it goes into maintain mode. I have mind hooked up for around 4 months with no problems. Not sure about 1.5 years, I might just remove the battery for that length of time. Have you read the intstructions that came with the unit perhaps it will give some guidelines on length of time you can leave it hooked up or give the manufacturer a call. Good luck.
Old 12-24-2009, 12:16 PM
cmonkey713
Race Director

Received 1,259 Likes on 920 Posts

Originally Posted by dvilin
I use a Battery Tender what you have sounds similar once it goes into maintain mode. I have mind hooked up for around 4 months with no problems. Not sure about 1.5 years, I might just remove the battery for that length of time. Have you read the instructions that came with the unit perhaps it will give some guidelines on length of time you can leave it hooked up or give the manufacturer a call. Good luck.
Battery Tender is what I use. Other chargers may do harm to your battery if they are not self sensing power flow chargers.
Old 12-24-2009, 12:21 PM
vettedoogie
Le Mans Master

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by alexdogwood
Ok...yes this is the first year I have stored my vehicle so I have a ton of questions. I just purchased A "Schumacher speed charger" from auto zone. After reading the instructions it looks like i need to set it to Auto Charge mode, then once it is done it switches to "maintain mode" is this a trickle charger? Can I really keep this thing on the battery for 1.5 years? Any suggestions?

Matt
What model number is it? I have a 1562a that has the same title and it is a totally automatic float-mode monitoring charger. I just attached the leads, plugged it in and have left it alone for the last month. Works fine.
Old 12-24-2009, 12:59 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,485 Likes on 1,947 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

i'm sure mine is a lesser-model Schumacher, but that is the brand I have. mine is definitely a battery "maintainer" which is not a trickle charger.

do what doogie said and tell us the model number. or maybe look it up on the shucmacher website if there is one. what you want is a battery maintainer. you do not want a trickle charger.

as to 1.5 years of maintaining? hmm, I think it's ok. I might suggest putting a very good surge protector between the wall plug and the "maintainer" just as another precaution during that long time period.
Old 12-24-2009, 01:19 PM
CO Lightfoot
Safety Car

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

...Can I really keep this thing on the battery for 1.5 years?
You're going to store it for 1.5 years?

Even just for winter storage, you might find this helpful:
http://corvetteactioncenter.com/tech/care/storage.html
And there are lots of threads on this topic.

Probably need Sta-bil in your gas; run it some miles to get it circulating thru-out the system.

Also, I do a thorough cleaning inside-and-out before storage... very nice to uncover a clean ready-to-go car in Spring. And with my CTEK battery tender working all winter, it fires right up!

BTW, whatever battery tender you use, check it periodically... some models do not automatically re-start after a power failure.

Last edited by CO Lightfoot; 12-24-2009 at 01:22 PM. Reason: added BTW
Old 12-24-2009, 02:30 PM
LMB-C6
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Matt
Hi Matt, and welcome!

I don't think your unit is a trickle charger - nor do you want a trickle charger. Typically trickle charges are cheap step down transformers that just supply a steady charge to the battery regardless of what state the battery is in. If kept on for too long it boils off the electolyte and you destroy the battery - I learned that the hard way. After the fact, I checked the output voltage of the one I had and it was something like 20 volts!

What you want is a battery maintainer (or a charger with this feature). They charge the battery and then switch over to maintenance mode to keep the battery charge topped off. There are several on the market - I use the ones by Battery Tender. I was looking at the literature for the SpeedCharger and it looks like it has a 'float charge' feature on it so I think you are OK. One way to check is to plug it in, charge the battery, and when it switches to float mode check the voltage using a voltmeter to make sure it's somewhere around 13V. If it's way over that then do NOT leave this charger on the battery for extended periods of time.
Old 12-24-2009, 03:55 PM
rws.1
Race Director

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

the battery float charger is the 21st century version of the trickle charger. The microchip adjusts the charge rate to match the battery condition to always keep it topped up
We have used the $7 one from Harbor freight for the last 5 winters on my 3 vettes, My nephews Vette, My brothers 2 ATV's and 2 boat batteries.....

Get notified of new replies

To "Trickle Charger"?

Quick Reply: "Trickle Charger"?