C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question about removing shift knob

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2009, 12:11 PM
BSheppard
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Question about removing shift ****

I just bought a 2006 C6 and had a quick question. The previous owner had installed a white shift ball with the shift pattern engraved on top and I want to replace it with the stock shift ****. But, I can't figure out how to get the white one off. There is no set screw and I can't really see a way to get this one off to replace it with the stock one. Has anyone done this that could give me some pointers?

Thanks.
Old 12-22-2009, 12:24 PM
not08crmanymore
Team Owner

Received 138 Likes on 119 Posts

ACTUALLY THERE IS a screw.Lower the shift boot and it's right there.
Old 12-22-2009, 12:39 PM
mksz51
Safety Car

Received 156 Likes on 95 Posts

Is it the factory shifter? Could be an aftermarket with a threaded rod that the shift ball is screwed on to. IF that is the case you will NOT be able to install the factory ****.
Old 12-22-2009, 07:36 PM
BSheppard
Pro

This is the factory shifter because I can pull the boot down and see the hole where the set screw goes. I can also just make out the notch on the shaft in front of the ball. It is a small white cueball like shifter with a 6 speed patern on top. It stops just where the notch on the shift shaft does. Could it be glued on? I quess I need to take some pictures? Anyone else have an idea on removal?
Old 12-22-2009, 07:45 PM
BSheppard
Pro

This is the only picture I have. I will take more later.

Old 12-22-2009, 08:02 PM
corvettezman
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 799 Likes on 449 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13, '15, '16-'17-'18-'19

if you can see the screw when you pull down the boot as you say you can , all you should need is to remove the screw and the ball should pull right up and away.

Am I missing something ?
Old 12-22-2009, 08:05 PM
jpgolf14
Racer

i just put a ball like that on my MGW shifter, and it fit very very tight over the shifter shaft. i had to really work it to get it on far enough to get the set screw in. interestingly enough, the shift ball did not fit that tight on the stock shaft. you may have an aftermarket shifter in there...

try to see if you can turn or screw the ball around, even a little. if you can, then you can get it off.

good luck
Old 12-22-2009, 09:15 PM
BSheppard
Pro

Originally Posted by corvettezman
if you can see the screw when you pull down the boot as you say you can , all you should need is to remove the screw and the ball should pull right up and away.

Am I missing something ?

There is not a screw. Just a hole in the shift shaft where it should go. The white aftermarket shift ball stops way up by the top of the shaft. Where I can see a little of the notch on the front of the shift shaft.
Old 12-22-2009, 09:16 PM
BSheppard
Pro

Originally Posted by jpgolf14
i just put a ball like that on my MGW shifter, and it fit very very tight over the shifter shaft. i had to really work it to get it on far enough to get the set screw in. interestingly enough, the shift ball did not fit that tight on the stock shaft. you may have an aftermarket shifter in there...

try to see if you can turn or screw the ball around, even a little. if you can, then you can get it off.

good luck
The ball does not turn at all. Not even a little. The shaft turns a little when I try to twist the ball though.
Old 12-22-2009, 10:15 PM
jpgolf14
Racer

Originally Posted by BSheppard
The ball does not turn at all. Not even a little. The shaft turns a little when I try to twist the ball though.
The shaft on the stock shifter cannot turn (I don't think). the MGW shifter has a separate shaft that is mounted on the shifter and held in place by tightenin a clamp screw. Pull the boot down as far as you can and take a picture of the shaft, and post it so we can see it.
Old 12-22-2009, 10:20 PM
GotVett?
Race Director

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by corvettezman

Am I missing something ?
Old 12-22-2009, 11:19 PM
BSheppard
Pro

Originally Posted by jpgolf14
The shaft on the stock shifter cannot turn (I don't think). the MGW shifter has a separate shaft that is mounted on the shifter and held in place by tightenin a clamp screw. Pull the boot down as far as you can and take a picture of the shaft, and post it so we can see it.

Here is another picture with the shift boot pulled down. Looks like the stock shift shaft to me. Any ideas?
Old 12-23-2009, 12:04 AM
SCModerator
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Probably was forced in there then. Is there a way to heat the shaft a little (like with a hair dryer) and then try to pop it up? Good luck.
Old 12-23-2009, 12:15 AM
ncvette_1FUNRIDE
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 260 Likes on 221 Posts
2015 C6 of the Year Finalist

Yes, you are right, that is the stock shaft. Whoever put that shifter **** on probably forced it on with a little persuasion via a hammer or rubber mallet. You may have to cut that baby off. You might try a Dremel or something similar to cut it off.

Last edited by ncvette_1FUNRIDE; 12-23-2009 at 12:18 AM.
Old 12-23-2009, 07:59 AM
BSheppard
Pro

A dremel? That's not good? I hope there is a better way.
Old 12-23-2009, 01:25 PM
CMY SIX
Safety Car

Received 104 Likes on 92 Posts

time for MGW LTD BABY!
Old 12-23-2009, 03:36 PM
BSheppard
Pro

I really like the factory ****. Will the mgw ltd take the factory ****? If not is there a nice looking shifted avalible? I think I will try the dremel first though. Maybe someone will come along and have a better way to remove this thing.

Get notified of new replies

To Question about removing shift knob

Old 12-23-2009, 04:24 PM
mksz51
Safety Car

Received 156 Likes on 95 Posts

MGW does make an adapter for their shifter that will allow use of the factory ****. Here's another perspective - I had the factory shifter with factory **** in my car when purchased. I swapped out the factory shifter and also then used the MGW weighted shift ****. I ended up with a wonderful replacement - precise, firm, positive shifts everytime. I think the "heft" of the shift **** has something to do with it. The factory GM shift **** is something of a joke construction wise - much like the factory shifter. My opinion - back to your original question - yes, the factory **** can be used with MGW with the correct adapter.
Old 12-23-2009, 04:53 PM
rwpatte
Le Mans Master

Received 102 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by BSheppard
A dremel? That's not good? I hope there is a better way.
Take your time with the Dremel, It will work.
Old 12-23-2009, 09:55 PM
BSheppard
Pro

Thanks for the help guys. I got it off with out the dremel. I tapped two small screw driver under the edges of the shifter ball with a small hammer. I did one side then the other and mm by mm it came up until I could pull it off by hand. I have the factory **** on and did a test drive this afternoon with all kinds of driving to see if it would rattle. NO rattle at all. My old C6 **** would make noise under hard acceleration but this new one is quiet as a mouse. It is a Z06 though and only has 6000 miles. Maybe after it gets 40k on it like my old one it will also rattle a little.

Quick Reply: Question about removing shift knob