C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why Use Jacking Pucks???

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2009, 04:06 PM
MCSSLT1
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Why Use Jacking Pucks???

Just curious what the big deal is about jacking pucks. I see people here mention you need jacking pucks to jack up a corvette all the time. Hell some people even think they need to provide them to dealers when they have their car serviced. I did have one old craftsman jack that had a huge cup which might be tough. In that case I would have to use a block but that jack was so high it probably wouldn't fit under the car.

I understand some people have damaged their rockers and maybe this is why. What I don't understand is this. If you jack the car in the right spot there is plenty of clearance for the pads on a lift or for the cup on a jack.

Worst case scenario you can accomplish the same thing with a small 2x4 block which can be had for free.

I'm sorry but jacking pucks just seem like a scam to me. Are people that lazy that they can't jack a a car up properly these days or are they that gullible they really think jacking up a corvette can't be accomplished without these?

I guess the guys that make their own are ok. A few hockey pucks and eye bolts are cheap. Those of you who are spending $60+ on these what are you thinking?
Old 12-18-2009, 04:23 PM
saplumr
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,251 Likes on 895 Posts

Originally Posted by MCSSLT1
Those of you who are spending $60+ on these what are you thinking?
We're probably thinking the pucks are easy, safe and convenient. Obviously some people just don't like the simple things.
Old 12-18-2009, 04:26 PM
tjl5709
Pro

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

You'll know why when you take it into the stealer and the underpaid and under educated porter places the lift by your rocker and catches it.

It's called protecting your investment. The rocker is not replaceable as it is glued on at the factory. Once it cracks, it needs to be filled with body filler, sanded, primed, and repainted. That type of fix is not very durable.

You don't need to spend $60. Just go get four hard rubber hockey pucks, screw some 1/4" eye bolts in and your good to go.

Cost? about $6.
Old 12-18-2009, 04:28 PM
Zymurgy

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15,106 Likes on 6,184 Posts

If you don't do all of your own work (like mounting new tires, etc.) having jacking pucks for "auto technicians" to use can save your rocker panels. Unfortunately, it is very easy to place a lift so that it makes contact with the rocker panel. There are many unfortunate stories on this forum where this has happened, even at Chevy dealerships, not to mention tire shops, etc. I make it a point to notify everyone who needs to lift my car for any reason that I have the pucks and I make sure they use them. Good insurance versus the aggravation of busted rocker panels.
Old 12-18-2009, 04:30 PM
MCSSLT1
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by tjl5709
You'll know why when you take it into the stealer and the underpaid and under educated porter places the lift by your rocker and catches it.

It's called protecting your investment. The rocker is not replaceable as it is glued on at the factory. Once it cracks, it needs to be filled with body filler, sanded, primed, and repainted. That type of fix is not very durable.

You don't need to spend $60. Just go get four hard rubber hockey pucks, screw some 1/4" eye bolts in and your good to go.

Cost? about $6.

Right well thats all im saying here. Hockey pucks are what $1 a piece? A 2x4 cut 3"-4" in length is something most people have around the house so its free.
Old 12-18-2009, 04:31 PM
Zymurgy

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15,106 Likes on 6,184 Posts

... Those of you who are spending $60+ on these what are you thinking?
I'm compensating for the excess cash in my checking account.
Old 12-18-2009, 04:33 PM
RicK T
Team Owner

Received 556 Likes on 452 Posts

They aren't necessarily for "jacking" but certainly work well for that purpose too. They are intended to prevent rocker damage when the car is put on the type of lift, common in dealerships and tire stores, that lift a car on the frame rails. With "lifting pucks" in place they are below the frame and rockers and the lift contacts them and supports the car's weight on the pucks rather than the rockers/frame rails. I used hockey pucks and "stainless steel eye bolts" (nothing but the best you know ) for about $10.
Old 12-18-2009, 04:55 PM
Eritosthenes
Melting Slicks

Received 129 Likes on 95 Posts

If the actual lifting surfaces on your jack or lift are small enough to fit inside the cutout areas in the rocker panels surrounding the C6 frame's designated jacking points, then you don't need jacking pucks.

The problem is that a lot of service bay lifts have large flat surfaces designed to lift the vehicle by its rocker panels (or any other parts they contact on the way up). If you lift a C6 using one of these old lifts you'll crush its sheet-moulded composite ("fiberglass") rocker panels like eggshells. Pucks fit inside those rocker panel cutouts and are thick enough to become those "other parts" that a flat lifting surface will contact on its way up.

I have a set of four plastic pucks, but I actually only use one puck with my floor jack whenever I do my semi-annual winter/summer tire change. I'm very careful to center my floor jack's lifting surface (saddle) on the puck before I begin the lift. Whenever I take the car into a dealership for service, I show the bag with all four pucks to the service manager so he knows they're there.
Old 12-18-2009, 05:13 PM
RockyMountain Z
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just recieved the BMW style jacking pucks.
This style stays installed all the time.
If a non-experienced corvette person was to lift my car...he/she would see the pucks, and know where to set the jacks.
These cost about $70.00 deliverred.
Cheap insurance for when I am dealing with some tire shop in the middle of Saskatchewan on a road trip.
Old 12-18-2009, 05:20 PM
07c6vette
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just curious what the big deal is about jacking pucks. I see people here mention you need jacking pucks to jack up a corvette all the time. Hell some people even think they need to provide them to dealers when they have their car serviced. I did have one old craftsman jack that had a huge cup which might be tough. In that case I would have to use a block but that jack was so high it probably wouldn't fit under the car.

I understand some people have damaged their rockers and maybe this is why. What I don't understand is this. If you jack the car in the right spot there is plenty of clearance for the pads on a lift or for the cup on a jack.

Worst case scenario you can accomplish the same thing with a small 2x4 block which can be had for free.

I'm sorry but jacking pucks just seem like a scam to me. Are people that lazy that they can't jack a a car up properly these days or are they that gullible they really think jacking up a corvette can't be accomplished without these?

I guess the guys that make their own are ok. A few hockey pucks and eye bolts are cheap. Those of you who are spending $60+ on these what are you thinking?
Are people that lazy that they can't jack a a car up properly these days ...answer is yes specially some of the dealership. not going to take a chance getting rocker panel damaged. would you ? $60 is worth it, imo
Old 12-18-2009, 05:32 PM
lander
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11

Then don't buy them and don't use them, problem solved for you.

However...we will all point at you and laugh if you post one day about how your rocker panels were damaged because the tech didn't lift the car properly and you didn't have the pucks for him to use.
Old 12-18-2009, 05:52 PM
vettephyxer
Instructor

My 07 was damaged during jacking by the dealership to the tune of 400.00, (which they paid). Afterwards, I made a set of hockey puck jacking pucks and keep them in an old Crown Royal bag in a rear bin for those techs that don't have them. If they argue that they're not needed I'll calmly take my car elsewere.
Old 12-18-2009, 06:43 PM
Wayne O
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

.... Those of you who are spending $60+ on these what are you thinking?
I have the rectangular BMW 'snap-in' jacking pucks which I vaguely recall they were about $25 for the set of four. Be that as it may, whether one wants to use no jacking pucks, hockey pucks or $400 gold inlaid carbon fiber jacking pucks (I know right) what's the problem?

FWIW I often lift one corner of the car with a floor jack NOT using a jacking puck. But as mentioned, I do have the rectangular BMW jacking pucks to use when needed (see Zymurgy's post below). Unlike the hockey pucks, I like the way the BMW jacking pucks 'lock' in-place. I can rest assured the jacking pucks are installed if I take the car to the dealership...they're not going to fall off or move about. Lastly, if I set the car up on jack stands in my garage, the tapered BMW jacking pucks fit the cradle of my jack stands nicely. I'll gladly spend the approximate $25 for the BMW jacking pucks for their superior qualities.

Originally Posted by Zymurgy
If you don't do all of your own work (like mounting new tires, etc.) having jacking pucks for "auto technicians" to use can save your rocker panels. Unfortunately, it is very easy to place a lift so that it makes contact with the rocker panel. There are many unfortunate stories on this forum where this has happened, even at Chevy dealerships, not to mention tire shops, etc. I make it a point to notify everyone who needs to lift my car for any reason that I have the pucks and I make sure they use them. Good insurance versus the aggravation of busted rocker panels.
Well put!
Old 12-18-2009, 07:08 PM
Swiftrider08
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I bought a set first thing and think I have used them maybe once or twice. The (2) floor jacks I use most often have a pad small enough to not need them.

Other problem - the "art" of working on ones own car has been lost for the most part and thus people are taking their cars/trucks in for service more often and want to make sure the "techs" do not damage their vehicle. I have no problem with that. I myself have kept up on automotive technology and rarely take any of my vehicles to anyone. Warranty work I will let the dealer take care of though.
Old 12-18-2009, 07:40 PM
MCSSLT1
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by lander
Then don't buy them and don't use them, problem solved for you.

However...we will all point at you and laugh if you post one day about how your rocker panels were damaged because the tech didn't lift the car properly and you didn't have the pucks for him to use.
The warranty ran out on my car just before I bought it so it will never see a GM service bay

I didn't say don't use anything. What i said was why spend $60 when you can accomplish the same thing with a block of wood for FREE or a regular hockey puck like others have said for $6

Last edited by MCSSLT1; 12-18-2009 at 07:43 PM.
Old 12-18-2009, 07:56 PM
Swiftrider08
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The warranty ran out on my car just before I bought it so it will never see a GM service bay

I didn't say don't use anything. What i said was why spend $60 when you can accomplish the same thing with a block of wood for FREE or a regular hockey puck like others have said for $6
Why spend $60 vs $6 vs a free block of wood? Just like everything else on the Vette, some want only the "best" vs the lowest cost.

Same thing applies somewhat with tires. I can not for the life of me understand why someone buys a $50,000 - $60,000 new car and then post on this forum asking what the "cheapest" tire there is out there! Some things you can skimp on and others you should never skimp on!
Old 12-18-2009, 08:05 PM
MCSSLT1
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Swiftrider08
Why spend $60 vs $6 vs a free block of wood? Just like everything else on the Vette, some want only the "best" vs the lowest cost.

Same thing applies somewhat with tires. I can not for the life of me understand why someone buys a $50,000 - $60,000 new car and then post on this forum asking what the "cheapest" tire there is out there! Some things you can skimp on and others you should never skimp on!
Tires are not made equal. $$ spent on tires does make a difference. These pucks are different. Or should i say they are no different than the cheaper solutions besides they lock in the holes. Its not like the car is going to fall off a block of wood if jacked properly trust me. The BMW ones others have talked about that snap and in and stay in sound interesting and probably worth the money if I was taking my car to a dealership. At least they offer something a block of wood, hockey puck, or aluminum puck can't as these can't snap in.

The other ones that don't snap in are no different.

Tires are a fact but yeah I see what your getting at. Oh well it just doesn't make sense to me.

Get notified of new replies

To Why Use Jacking Pucks???

Old 12-18-2009, 08:17 PM
HANNY
Safety Car

Received 156 Likes on 105 Posts

i agree the aluminum ones are waaaaaaaaaaaaaay to expensive. The hockey puck ones are very cheap and the thing i like about them is the are kina "Grip-ey" and help in case the lift pad slides a bit. I hear ya tho on the hi dollar ones tho. I got mine on Fleebay for 15 bucks which i dont think i could buy the pucks new for that? Welded a rod off my lift for easy access.

Old 12-18-2009, 08:20 PM
obxchartercaptain
Safety Car

Received 308 Likes on 198 Posts
FL Events Coordinator

Tires are not made equal. $$ spent on tires does make a difference. These pucks are different. Or should i say they are no different than the cheaper solutions besides they lock in the holes. Its not like the car is going to fall off a block of wood if jacked properly trust me. The BMW ones others have talked about that snap and in and stay in sound interesting and probably worth the money if I was taking my car to a dealership. At least they offer something a block of wood, hockey puck, or aluminum puck can't as these can't snap in.

Tires are a fact but yeah I see what your getting at. Oh well it just doesn't make sense to me.
I think you are trying to defend a bad position. There are HUNDREDS of posts in the C5 and C6 sections of cracked rocker panels happening when people lift their vehicles for one reason or another without "pucks" If people want to spend 60 bucks for lifting pucks and you don't get it.....I guess you never will.
Old 12-18-2009, 08:41 PM
lander
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11

And when you go in to get new tires, how will they do that? Magic?

Extending the analogy a bit, why did you spend all that money on a Corvette when an Aveo will get you there and back? Same difference.

Quick Reply: Why Use Jacking Pucks???