C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best brakes for the Vette, about time to change them so wondering whats best.

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2009, 08:38 PM
lilitaly11
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Best brakes for the Vette, about time to change them so wondering whats best.

My car has almost 40k on it and has never been had brakes changed from what I gather from previous owner. I was wondering what is best cost effective brake and/or best over brake pads for the Vette. My brakes currently squeak all the time not sure if its the Corvette curse or if they just need to be changed. Are ceramic the way to go?

Any input and where to buy them is greatly appreciated
Thanks
Old 12-08-2009, 08:42 PM
Joezone914
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by lilitaly11
My car has almost 40k on it and has never been had brakes changed from what I gather from previous owner. I was wondering what is best cost effective brake and/or best over brake pads for the Vette. My brakes currently squeak all the time not sure if its the Corvette curse or if they just need to be changed. Are ceramic the way to go?

Thanks
If you are not tracking ceramics are the way to go. But never put ceramics on the track. I can not give you any recommendations as I do not run ceramic but I know Carbotech make a ceramic and so does GM.

Joe
Old 12-08-2009, 08:42 PM
johnodrake

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,594 Likes on 1,629 Posts

I have had good luck with Hawk Ceramic but have heard that GM Ceramic are good as well.
Old 12-08-2009, 09:04 PM
lilitaly11
Pro

No tracking just a daily driver. Ive seen the name hawk around this forum quite a bit. Are ceramic the way to go? I just want the squeaking to stop.
Old 12-08-2009, 09:17 PM
peter pan
Life Time NCM #2196

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,099 Likes on 810 Posts

I also use the Hawk cermanics on my C6 and for our non track Vette they do not squeak or dust much a bonus over the factory ones
Old 12-08-2009, 09:21 PM
slorp train
Instructor

EBC Green Stuff are great pads. Lots of stopping power, quiet and very low dust. You;ll notice there stopping power increase greatly once they get a little warm
Old 12-08-2009, 09:24 PM
spin-doktor
Drifting

For super low dust and zero noise, GM ceramic brake pads from forum vendor Gene Culley is the way to go
Old 12-08-2009, 10:09 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,486 Likes on 1,948 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

These are two different brake pad mfrs. website explanations about bedding in the brakes. Altho they are long reads, I think you may want to look at these before you buy pads.

http://www.stoptech.com/tech_info/wp...rakedisk.shtml

http://www.hawkperformance.com/motorsports/faqs.php
Old 12-08-2009, 10:26 PM
mikesul
Drifting

I like the EBC Red Stuff, used them on my last (3) vettes.
Old 12-08-2009, 10:36 PM
slorp train
Instructor

Originally Posted by mikesul
I like the EBC Red Stuff, used them on my last (3) vettes.
red stuff take a little longer to heat up and are for heavier cars correct?
Old 12-13-2009, 11:08 AM
Adam@Amp'dAutosport.com
Supporting Vendor

Received 492 Likes on 419 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11,'13

This is the brake pad tou want to use

The Carbotech Bobcat 1521™ is our high performance street compound that is our most successful compound. The Bobcat compound is known for its awesome release and modulation, along with unmatched rotor friendliness. Like our AX™ & XP™ line of compounds, Bobcat 1521™ is a Ceramic based friction material offering minimal rotor damage and non corrosive dust. Bobcat 1521™ offers outstanding performance, even when cold, low dusting and low noise with an excellent initial bite. This compound’s virtually perfect linear torque production provides incredible braking force without ABS intervention. Bobcat 1521™ operating range starts out at ambient and goes up to 900°F. Bobcat 1521™ is suitable for ALL street cars, perfect for your tow vehicle, police cruiser, and has won multiple SCCA Solo 2 and Prosolo National Championships. The Bobcat 1521™ compound has been found to last two-three times longer than OE pads you can purchase at a dealership or national retailer. Bobcat 1521™ compound has also been found to extend the life of your rotors 2-3 times. That’s one of the beauties of Carbotech Ceramic brake compounds. Bobcat 1521™ is NOT recommended for any track use.
Old 12-13-2009, 12:08 PM
Wayne O
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by lilitaly11

Thanks
Before changing to after market brakes my stock (non-Z51) brakes never squeaked! If you're just trying to eliminate the squeaking then different pads may be all you need (I used more aggressive Performance Friction pads with great results). If your car is a daily driver you probably don't have any need to change brakes. Quality after market brakes are very expensive and the stock brakes should suffice well for your purposes.

If you want to increase the effectiveness of your stock brakes there is much you can do...use more aggressive brake pads, you can change rotors, use better fluid such as Motul 600, change to stainless steel brake lines and caliper pistons and bleed your brakes on occasion. Good luck!
Old 12-13-2009, 01:23 PM
DjCritterus
Team Owner

Received 95 Likes on 55 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Mine made a squealing noise that was about as hideous as Nancy Pelosi giving a speech to a T.E.A Party gathering in an NRA hosted event.

I bought some aftermarket pads from O'reilly's (flame suit on) and the squealing stopped after bedding them properly. Plus I didn't notice a decrease in stopping efficiency
Old 12-13-2009, 01:27 PM
CYOUL8ER
Racer

Hawk Ceramics and DBA rotors (Not tracking here either) Has been an awesome setup for me
Old 12-13-2009, 01:35 PM
Joe_Planet
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if you dont want squealing then try the posiqueit pads. probably not the best stopping power, but should be quiet. i have the carbotechs and while they're a great pad they took a long time to quit squealing, but one track day took care of that lol. if you're going to get the carbotechs make sure you either get new rotors or get them turned, they like a new smooth surface. i got the one piece pads as well, more friction material, less duct than stock and more even pad wear than those stupid padlets!

Get notified of new replies

To Best brakes for the Vette, about time to change them so wondering whats best.

Quick Reply: Best brakes for the Vette, about time to change them so wondering whats best.