C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just Got *4* Tickets Tonight! (Nassau, NY)

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2009, 12:06 AM
SweetBlueZ51
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Just Got *4* Tickets Tonight! (Nassau, NY)

I attracted the attention of a real ball buster LEO tonight who pulled me over and gave me 4 tickets! I'm 36 and haven't received a ticket since I was 16; that's over 20 years!

I was going exactly 30 in a 30 when he came up on me... before that I could have been as high as 40, but revving a bit high at times which is why I probably was picked on. Anyway, my car basically only has Borla Stingers & the X-Pipe. It's not that earth shattering loud.

When he came up to my car all he could talk about was how the rear plate was covered (I have a plastic piece that covers the plate and keeps it nice & neat, which I realize now is illegal to cover your plate in NY) and then he started to harass me about having no front plate (I had it in the cabin installed on the original holder, but had recently bought a TopFlight plate that I was just about to put on). He mentioned nothing about being pulled over for speeding, or anything about how he thought my car was excessively loud.

Anyway, here are the tickets he basically read off quickly and threw in my lap as he walked away saying nothing more. It was weird. I didn't give this guy any attitude to deserve such treatment either. I find this damn Corvette just angers people. Mostly teenagers with Subaru's, but now LEO's hate me. LOL! Arrgh!
  1. Imprudent Speed
  2. Noisy Muffler Modifed to Amp. Sound
  3. No front plate
  4. Rear plate covered

I have to show up in court in January and can not mail these in even if I wanted to. Any help on this matter as far as fighting this would be much appreciated as I really have no experience getting tickets like this. Thanks!
Old 11-30-2009, 12:20 AM
candlemuse
Drifting

Old 11-30-2009, 12:24 AM
Vette Suspension
Le Mans Master

Sounds a bit to excessive. Sad actually. I can understand the loud exhaust and speeding maybe. The rear plate cover was just an extra slap in the face..I will bet while he wrote you the tickets about 10 uninsured motorists involving more paperwork and a TVB arrest passed by.

Either way go to court. Some will say accept responsibility but that is pure unadulterated b.s. There was no need for 1 ticket for certain and maybe all. Most likely you can beat 2 or 3 and, maybe all with a decent attorney.

Last edited by Vette Suspension; 11-30-2009 at 12:29 AM.
Old 11-30-2009, 12:34 AM
HANNY
Safety Car

Received 156 Likes on 105 Posts

whatever,,,,i bet they have a low crime rate in that town hope this doesnt start some "cops are so wrong,,," and of course the other side "Ive been a cop for 25 years and all arent all like that,,,"
Heres my take. They gotta job to do and you were in the guidelines of the ticket, But so are every person who has ever passed on a 2 lane highway (while passing they have to go over the limit) and so are every person on almost every trip (they get within the 500 foot following mark) as in life the law is subjective,,,,,,,,,, stinks for u
Old 11-30-2009, 12:40 AM
NYC6
Team Owner

Received 207 Likes on 155 Posts

"Imprudent Speed"? I've had many speeding tickets in my day in NY but none ever said that! I think thats one that wont stand up. Without verifiying the speed(radar,laser,pacing you...) its not enforcible(I think).
Doesnt sound like they can get you for a moving violation, just equipment ones. Get them to throw out the imprudent and eat one or two of the equipments and walk away happy.
Old 11-30-2009, 12:43 AM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by SweetBlueZ51
I attracted the attention of a real ball buster LEO tonight who pulled me over and gave me 4 tickets! I'm 36 and haven't received a ticket since I was 16; that's over 20 years!

I was going exactly 30 in a 30 when he came up on me... before that I could have been as high as 40, but revving a bit high at times which is why I probably was picked on. Anyway, my car basically only has Borla Stingers & the X-Pipe. It's not that earth shattering loud.

When he came up to my car all he could talk about was how the rear plate was covered (I have a plastic piece that covers the plate and keeps it nice & neat, which I realize now is illegal to cover your plate in NY) and then he started to harass me about having no front plate (I had it in the cabin installed on the original holder, but had recently bought a TopFlight plate that I was just about to put on). He mentioned nothing about being pulled over for speeding, or anything about how he thought my car was excessively loud.

Anyway, here are the tickets he basically read off quickly and threw in my lap as he walked away saying nothing more. It was weird. I didn't give this guy any attitude to deserve such treatment either. I find this damn Corvette just angers people. Mostly teenagers with Subaru's, but now LEO's hate me. LOL! Arrgh!
  1. Imprudent Speed
  2. Noisy Muffler Modifed to Amp. Sound
  3. No front plate
  4. Rear plate covered

I have to show up in court in January and can not mail these in even if I wanted to. Any help on this matter as far as fighting this would be much appreciated as I really have no experience getting tickets like this. Thanks!
How much do the fines come to?
Old 11-30-2009, 12:47 AM
keyplyr
Le Mans Master

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by SweetBlueZ51
...I could have been as high as 40, but revving a bit high at times
Revving the engine could be interpreted as "thumbing your nose" or "flipping off" the LEO, if you happen to be a LEO.

Old 11-30-2009, 01:09 AM
george vee
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,074 Likes on 532 Posts
2015 C7 of the Year Finalist

Get a lawyer that works in the court that you are to appear at, the lawyer would know the ins and out of that system. Well worth the money.
good luck
Old 11-30-2009, 01:14 AM
bapd77
Safety Car

Received 418 Likes on 194 Posts

Here we go!! I'll chime in more when the haters do !

I have never written four tickets to a person that I can think of, so I agree four tickets to one driver is excessive. However, if you were in violation four times for four separate offenses. . .
Old 11-30-2009, 01:24 AM
Wizekrakr
Advanced

Lawyer up.
Old 11-30-2009, 01:25 AM
calmtgguy
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That's a bummer, but you admit doing 10 MPH over the limit, clear plastic covers over your license plate are illegal, no front plate is illegal, and you do have loud pipes. Solution, slow down and do the limit, remove the clear plastic cover, install the front plate, and buy the NPP exhaust, and a M2W switch. Use the M2W switch the next time you see a LEO.
Old 11-30-2009, 01:31 AM
4thC4at60
Le Mans Master

Received 2,940 Likes on 1,310 Posts

Originally Posted by calmtgguy
That's a bummer, but you admit doing 10 MPH over the limit, clear plastic covers over your license plate are illegal, no front plate is illegal, and you do have loud pipes. Solution, slow down and do the limit, remove the clear plastic cover, install the front plate, and buy the NPP exhaust, and a M2W switch. Use the M2W switch the next time you see a LEO.
Old 11-30-2009, 01:34 AM
jpuli28
Melting Slicks

Traffic laws in each state vary... But how to handle them is pretty typical.

Imprudent speed, (no such thing in FL) but probably resembles "Too Fast for Conditions" here in FL. The Ofc must be radar certified to visually estimate your speed and describe the enviroment you were speeding in. Have used a radar Or he can pace you in his police car (follows you at the same distance from you for at least several blocks at the same consistent speed).

Noise violation, he must articualte that he could hear your muffler from X feet away (whatever the law is) or have a decible meter measuring sound output.

You have no defense against the plate violations. All I can suggest is fix them, take a photo of the fix (not the before) and show the judge/magistrate when you appear for the infractions. He/she should be more lienent that you took responsibilty and fixed them.

Also your record will show no tix in 20 yrs which is taken into consideration in court.

Now if you deserved 'em and the story is biased, well...
Old 11-30-2009, 01:35 AM
Mpwr
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

wow that sux dude...what was the patrol car #?
Old 11-30-2009, 01:35 AM
jpuli28
Melting Slicks

Maybe he drives a Subaru
Old 11-30-2009, 01:36 AM
ssv3
Burning Brakes

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

Wow! You really rubbed Robocop the wrong way.
Old 11-30-2009, 02:00 AM
SweetBlueZ51
Racer

Originally Posted by jpuli28
Imprudent speed, (no such thing in FL) but probably resembles "Too Fast for Conditions" here in FL.......

Noise violation, he must articualte that he could hear your muffler from X feet away (whatever the law is) or have a decible meter measuring sound output.
The question is, how would I go about fighting these two.

Originally Posted by '06 Quicksilver Z06
How much do the fines come to?
It doesn't say. Each of the tickets simply indicate that I must appear in person in early January. Also, I've just noticed that on the "Imprudent Speed" ticket it not only doesn't specify my speed, but also doesn't specify what the MPH Zone was either. Could this be considered an improperly filled out ticket and may be dismissed on that alone?

Originally Posted by calmtgguy
Solution, slow down and do the limit, remove the clear plastic cover, install the front plate, and buy the NPP exhaust, and a M2W switch.
I hear ya, but what I'm asking for is advice on how to fight this in court, not what to do in order to not get future tickets.

Get notified of new replies

To Just Got *4* Tickets Tonight! (Nassau, NY)

Old 11-30-2009, 02:26 AM
jpuli28
Melting Slicks

With regard to fighting them, take the information I provided on each and (if its like here in FL) have him to provide an answer as to how he came to support those violations, tactfully/respectfully of course.

Radar # or Paced by Vehicle #xxx w/the speed and speed zone must be written on the tix.
If he didnt notate the speed from a radar or pace, then its an oversight and should be tossed (unless he logged it on his copies). Or, and most likely, he made a visual observation and based it on the estimated speed and the unsafe conditions of the enviroment (wet roads, pedestrians, construction, loss of control, etc). Problem is you dont know where he was at the time he made his observation to establish whether it was imprudent in that area (unless he watched u get sideways). He still may need radar certification to visually estimate speeds (again each state is different)

Noise... check your local laws to determine the max distance the sound can still be heard (ie. loud music cant be heard from more than x number of feet away from the vehicle). In NY there may just be a law against modifying exhausts, and obviously yours is modified so that may be tough. But again he has to prove its TOO loud and was outside that alotted distance.
Does he know the decibels of factory exhaust vs aftermarket? Did he measure it on scene? Or could he hear it farther from the alotted distance?

Like I said though, if your deserve 'em own up. I know there are some overzealous ones out there that even bite the very hands that feed them and thats the only reason Im assisting, plus you drive a Corvette!

Last edited by jpuli28; 11-30-2009 at 02:55 AM.
Old 11-30-2009, 02:31 AM
bapd77
Safety Car

Received 418 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by Mpwr
wow that sux dude...what was the patrol car #?
What bearing does his patrol car number have on it?
Old 11-30-2009, 02:57 AM
jpuli28
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by bapd77
What bearing does his patrol car number have on it?
Prob so they look out for the car number/officer.

Quick Reply: Just Got *4* Tickets Tonight! (Nassau, NY)