C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MGW shifter install on 2010 - Pics and instructions

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2010, 07:55 PM
gibear2k5
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by ncvette_1FUNRIDE
Scott, mine is a 2010 but I would think that your installation would be pretty much the same as mine was. It's a pretty straight forward installation.

Just take your time taking everything apart and take notice of any electrical connections that you have to disconnect, so you won't forget to connect them back the same way when you put everything back together.

If you have any questions, I'm sure a post here will get a pretty quick response.

Randy
Thanks Randy
Old 02-28-2010, 10:35 PM
srpbaer
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CMY SIX
Quick some one else pat him on the back! what George at MGW, does'nt give out photo/directions with the shifters anymore?

Now why you gotta go and say something like that????? I for one found it helpful..your post...not so much helpul as annoying!!!!
Old 03-19-2010, 05:00 PM
MCSSLT1
Burning Brakes

Just got my MGW shifter in the mail today. I didn't read this post until today, but have read others. Mine came with the rubber gasket as well. I see the old ones used black rtv sealent between the cup and shifter.

Does anyone have a preference on which one works better and why? I know the rubber gasket has the obvious benefit of just slapping it on and being neater if removed. I'm going to say it doesn't make a difference but it never hurts to ask.

This weekend looks to be nice so i might even install it tomorrow or sunday

Last edited by MCSSLT1; 03-19-2010 at 05:07 PM.
Old 03-19-2010, 06:46 PM
ncvette_1FUNRIDE
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 260 Likes on 221 Posts
2015 C6 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by MCSSLT1
Just got my MGW shifter in the mail today. I didn't read this post until today, but have read others. Mine came with the rubber gasket as well. I see the old ones used black rtv sealent between the cup and shifter.

Does anyone have a preference on which one works better and why? I know the rubber gasket has the obvious benefit of just slapping it on and being neater if removed. I'm going to say it doesn't make a difference but it never hurts to ask.

This weekend looks to be nice so i might even install it tomorrow or sunday
I tried the rubber gasket first but after a month I switched to the black sealant in the tube. I was getting a little vibration noise under hard acceleration and I thought that the sealant might let the shifter 'bulb' settle down into the linkage a little better. It seems to have helped, plus I changed my shifter **** to the MGW **** as well.
Old 03-19-2010, 07:03 PM
MCSSLT1
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ncvette_1FUNRIDE
I tried the rubber gasket first but after a month I switched to the black sealant in the tube. I was getting a little vibration noise under hard acceleration and I thought that the sealant might let the shifter 'bulb' settle down into the linkage a little better. It seems to have helped, plus I changed my shifter **** to the MGW **** as well.
The black sealant route was initially the way I was going to go before I knew it came with a gasket. All the other shifters I have seen done are done with the sealant. I think I'm going to stick with the tried and true method.

Its not hard to take apart just not something I really want to do twice.
Old 03-26-2010, 08:26 PM
drtli
CRAZFST
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks for the tutorial. I used your photo write-up along with the MGW's CD instructions for the install in my 2010 GS today. The 2010 stock setup is a bit different then prior years as the 2nd rubber silencer/boot you showed is not shown in the CD. My MGW came with the gasket only and no RTV silicone sealant, less mess potential. Install was smooth with these instructions. Figuring out how to release each of the six electrical connectors was the greatest challenge and took as much time as all the rest. The shifter **** does require a T20or T25 rather than a T15 Torx to remove/replace. The MGW Shifter has a much shorter and more precise feeling throw. I do have some rattling above 3500 RPM that is worse if you touch the shift ****. Per the instructions, the rattling goes away once the Tranny gets to normal operating temp however. The MGW takes some getting used to as it requires more force to get into the 1-2 and 5-6 sides of the H than you think but the 2-3 and 3-4 shifts are a dream.
Old 03-26-2010, 08:37 PM
ncvette_1FUNRIDE
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by drtli
Thanks for the tutorial.
Glad it was of some use to you.

Don't worry, the more you drive it with the new MGW, the more you will get used to it and love it even more.

And yes, there can be a little 'buzz' to when you 'goose it' until it gets warmed up and as the weather warms up it will be gone.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Yes, I also changed from the stock shifter to George's threaded shaft and the MGW shifter **** as well. That eliminated almost all of the 'buzz' for me. Very happy with it.

Last edited by ncvette_1FUNRIDE; 03-27-2010 at 09:51 AM. Reason: added shifter knob note
Old 03-26-2010, 11:39 PM
victorf
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts

1FUNRIDE THANKS for taking the time for the tutorial, very detailed!!
Here is my .02! MGW George assured me that the 05 C6 trans had the least issue with his shifter. and he offered to send me the two shifter to try (stock and the threaded stem), and send back the one I don't like - what a guy! However, I did not want any buzz, vibration or whatsoever, so I purchased the threaded stem version with supplied gasket. I made two different weight version ****, T-6 aluminum and 304 cres, both exact dimensions (1.5D X 3 1/4L and threaded 3" deep). Both performed flawlessly whether hand on or off the ****, trans warm or cold and at any RPM. Needless to say, very satisfy in terms of shifter performance and as well as dealing with the man - MGW George.
Old 05-19-2010, 12:37 PM
mattnelson819
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Oh wow! I just installed it last night and driving to work was awesome! The shifter is much shorter than I thought. I also like that it takes a little more force to shift and you can really feel the movement of the mechanical parts in the transmission - I feel much more connected to the driving experience.

Also, another added bonus is leg (knee) room. I'm 6'7'' and when I'm wearing boots (cowboy boots - yee-haw!!!) I usually have a problem getting into 1st with my knee getting stuck between the steering wheel and shift ****. Now I have about another 3/4" between my knee and the shift **** - much more comfortable. I might try moving the attachment bracket 90 degrees CCW to see if that helps even more.

The horizontal distance between gears (like, between 1st and 3rd) can't be more than 1/4". It seems like it would be harder to find the gears, but it actually is a little easier. Shifting seems much more natural - it's hard to describe. You just need to feel it for yourself.
Old 05-22-2010, 01:41 PM
MyOtherZisQuicker
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default thanks for pics

Thanks a bunch.

My Apple would not read the CD that came from MGW, so your pics were a lifesaver.
Old 09-01-2012, 01:33 PM
Capt
Racer

when did they change the design of the MGW shifter? I ordered one and just around to taking it out of the box and it doesn't look like that.
It says install with this side facing driver. After putting it in I can feel that bulge in the shift boot.

Old 09-01-2012, 01:37 PM
ncvette_1FUNRIDE
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Capt
when did they change the design of the MGW shifter? I ordered one and just around to taking it out of the box and it doesn't look like that.
It says install with this side facing driver. After putting it in I can feel that bulge in the shift boot.

Did you get this one? It was redesigned within the last year I think. It is supposed to eliminate most vibrations, I think.

Old 09-01-2012, 03:57 PM
Aviator
Le Mans Master

Received 287 Likes on 127 Posts
Cruise-In I Veteran
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran

Nicely done, thanks.

Old 09-01-2012, 04:19 PM
su8pack1
Team Owner

Received 49 Likes on 27 Posts
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Old 09-01-2012, 09:04 PM
Capt
Racer

the one I installed was not like that!!!

I thought it was odd when he said it didn't matter which way you put it in and mine said install with this side facing driver.

Last edited by Capt; 09-01-2012 at 09:07 PM.
Old 09-09-2012, 09:34 PM
Capt
Racer

http://http://rides.webshots.com/photo/2862045940035526439GFyHDW

I hope this is how you post a pic

This is the MGW I just installed
Old 09-09-2012, 10:16 PM
ncvette_1FUNRIDE
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Capt
http://http://rides.webshots.com/photo/2862045940035526439GFyHDW

I hope this is how you post a pic

This is the MGW I just installed

That one is newer than mine but not the very newest one.

I'm not sure how long MGW made that particular version.

If you call MGW and tell George that you are not happy with that version, he may let you upgrade to the newest one for a small fee. (maybe $50)

Quick Reply: MGW shifter install on 2010 - Pics and instructions