C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

An Auxiliary Input Alternative for owners who don't use XM

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2009, 06:58 PM
kawal
Emerging Vendor

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
Default An Auxiliary Input Alternative for owners who don't use XM

I have a few new harnesses available for C6 owners who have an XM receiver. One is best for those who don't subscribe to XM and others are for those who want to maintain their XM subscription. These harnesses provides an Auxiliary Input that will allow you to connect most any music device that uses a standard 3.5mm (1/8") stereo audio jack.

These harnesses will work with a Nav or non-Nav radio.

There are a number of other good options suggested on this forum for adding an Aux Input, but all of them require splicing into the factory wiring harness, cutting wires, or soldering. They will work fine, but some owners may want a simpler plug-in solution.

Here is one of the harnesses:

By unplugging the 16 pin connector from your XM receiver and inserting this harness, you can plug the Aux In plug into any music device and hear high quality sound through the audio system. You effectively disconnect the audio from the XM receiver and instead hear the music device audio whenever you press the XM band button on your radio or Nav unit.

Other versions are available as well that allow you to retain XM:

These Aux In cables are 12' long so they will reach anywhere in the car you choose to keep your music device.

For a detailed description and closeup photos of the harnesses, click on the following website and choose the Auxiliary Input link near the bottom:

http://www.kawal.net/vettemods.htm

Ray

Last edited by kawal; 01-21-2010 at 10:06 PM.
Old 11-23-2009, 07:16 PM
talon90
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 153 Likes on 73 Posts
Tech Contributor
Cruise-In 11 Veteran
NCM Ambassador
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'10

Well done Ray.
Old 11-23-2009, 07:17 PM
Tin Star
Burning Brakes

Location: Amelia Island,FL ______ or DFW _________ Sold my 05 MS Coupe ____ bought 08 Vert Blk/JSB, 3LT, F55
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ray,

I already have the PAL wired with your harness and using XM.

What I am waiting for you to come up with is a way for me to keep all I have and still (using my iPhone) stream stations through the 1/8 inch jack.

I want all my toys.
Old 11-23-2009, 07:21 PM
kawal
Emerging Vendor

Originally Posted by Tin Star
Ray,

I already have the PAL wired with your harness and using XM.

What I am waiting for you to come up with is a way for me to keep all I have and still (using my iPhone) stream stations through the 1/8 inch jack.

I want all my toys.
Stay tuned J R, and you won't be disappointed.

Ray
Old 11-23-2009, 08:34 PM
nowheelie
Racer

Ray, quick question/clarification - I have a satellite radio subscription that I use. If I use your aux-input harness does it only bypass the sat-radio only when I turn on a device? Otherwise it plays the sat-radio as normal with your harness "inactive"?

thanks!
Old 11-23-2009, 09:39 PM
pentavolvo
Le Mans Master

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Cruise-In IX Veteran

with this harness u will loose xm all together, unless u pull the harness out

maybe u should offer this with a jack that will cut audio when the cable is plugged in but go back to default when the cable is unplugged

i posted a how to for it in the car audio section, would just require a jack and slightly diff wiring

very nice harness though
Old 11-23-2009, 09:45 PM
vettedoogie
Le Mans Master

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by kawal
I have a new harness available for C6 owners who have an XM receiver but don't subscribe to XM. This harness provides an Auxiliary Input that will allow you to connect most any music device that uses a standard 3.5mm (1/8") stereo audio jack.

There are a number of other good options suggested on this forum for adding an Aux Input, but all of them require splicing into the factory wiring harness, cutting wires, or soldering. They will work fine, but some owners may want a simpler plug-in solution.

Here is the harness:

By unplugging the 16 pin connector from your XM receiver and inserting this harness, you can plug the Aux In plug into any music device and hear high quality sound through the audio system. You effectively disconnect the audio from the XM receiver and instead hear the music device audio whenever you press the XM band button on your radio or Nav unit.

The Aux In cable is 12' long so it will reach anywhere in the car you choose to keep your music device.

For a detailed description and closeup photos of the harness, click on the following website and choose the last link at the bottom:

http://www.kawal.net/vettemods.htm

Ray
I'm sure this is great but I have already done the $10 splice with the Radio Shack cable and by the time you dig through to get to the XM module, the splice takes very little extra time and plays very clearly. Good luck.
Old 11-23-2009, 09:53 PM
kawal
Emerging Vendor

Originally Posted by vettedoogie
I'm sure this is great but I have already done the $10 splice with the Radio Shack cable and by the time you dig through to get to the XM module, the splice takes very little extra time and plays very clearly. Good luck.
Your method with the Radio Shack cable will work just as well. This harness is just for those who don't want to cut and splice the wires into the factory harness.

The XM module in the coupes and Z06s can be pulled out in less than five minutes. The convertibles require removing the waterfall which takes a bit longer but is also easy. You can cut and splice there or use the harness, whatever method you prefer.

Ray
Old 11-24-2009, 05:59 PM
pentavolvo
Le Mans Master

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Cruise-In IX Veteran

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/audi...aux-input.html
Old 11-24-2009, 06:15 PM
TexasMadMan
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Ray:

Guess I'm now getting a little confused. With this "wiring adapter", do you still control the ipod from the nav screen, or do you control everything from the ipod?

I ordered the PAL and have your harness coming for it, but I have no intentions of subscubing to XM. Did I buy more than I needed?
Old 11-24-2009, 06:39 PM
kawal
Emerging Vendor

That is a nice solution for someone who wants to take the time to splice the wires and mount the jack. Where did you end up mounting the jack?

If you took the time to pull the radio or Nav unit, you could also mount the jack somewhere on the console trim.

The audio wires you used are in the 12 pin connector to the radio/Nav unit. I have those same connectors, male and female, so it would be easy to provide a plug in harness to accomplish your solution without having to cut and splice the wires. You would simply unplug the 12 pin connector and insert the harness between the OEM connector and the radio, then route your wire and jack to wherever you want it. The harness would look similar to Alternative 3 on the following page:

http://www.kawal.net/navigation.htm

What I was trying to offer is a quick way to add AUX IN without having to remove the center console and radio, which a lot of owners don't want to do.

If I made a harness with the 16 pin connectors at the XM receiver, then the owner would still have to run the 5 wire cable and panel mount jack somewhere, drill a hole, and mount the jack. This isn't as clean as the radio installation with the 12 pin harness, nor as clean as the simple harness with the 1/8" plug. But maybe some owners would prefer it.

If I thought that many owners might like this solution, I would offer it as a plug-in harness. As you know from your own installation, this is fairly time consuming. That's the problem with making a harness and keeping the price down so it is attractive to others. I can offer my harness for 25 bucks because it's not too difficult to make - but it does take a while to install all of the connector terminals, install the terminals in the connectors, and test the harness. If I made a harness with your (better) solution, it would have to cost more.

The 12 pin harness for a radio connection would be easier for me to make because I have the basic harness already available to me as a result of obtaining unused PAL harnesses. But I don't know how many owners are willing to pull their console for a radio connection.

Maybe I should offer a combination "Navigation Mod" harness (as described on the above website) with the AUX IN jack included?

Update as of 12/14/09: New harness options are now available. Please see the following website:

For Auxiliary Inputs:

http://www.kawal.net/auxinput.htm

For Navigation modification:

http://www.kawal.net/navigation.htm

Ray

Last edited by kawal; 12-14-2009 at 04:52 PM.
Old 11-24-2009, 06:43 PM
kawal
Emerging Vendor

Originally Posted by TexasMadMan
Ray:

Guess I'm now getting a little confused. With this "wiring adapter", do you still control the ipod from the nav screen, or do you control everything from the ipod?

I ordered the PAL and have your harness coming for it, but I have no intentions of subscubing to XM. Did I buy more than I needed?
Not at all, Joe. The PAL is a great option for Ipod control and you will like it a lot.

This AUX IN harness does NOT offer any sort of Ipod control or charging. All it does is offer a way to get sound from any music device played through your car's audio system.

The PAL does FAR more, because it offers you complete control of the Ipod and charging as well. There is really no comparison. The AUX IN option is for owners who have devices other than an Ipod.

Ray
Old 11-24-2009, 08:34 PM
phileaglesfan
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 129 Posts

How does it work in a Non NAV OEM system. Does it just come up when I select XM?
Old 11-24-2009, 08:50 PM
Jeff in Sarasota
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Ray,

Does this fit 2008 and up or 2007 and prior. I know the plug going into the XM module changed sizes in 2008.

I have a 2008.

Also, I changed out my XM for a Sirius module. Any issues with that?

Thanks,
Jeff
Old 11-24-2009, 08:54 PM
JJC5
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Looks like Ray has hit another home run!!!!
Old 11-24-2009, 09:03 PM
kawal
Emerging Vendor

Originally Posted by Jeff in Sarasota
Ray,

Does this fit 2008 and up or 2007 and prior. I know the plug going into the XM module changed sizes in 2008.

I have a 2008.

Also, I changed out my XM for a Sirius module. Any issues with that?

Thanks,
Jeff
Jeff,

The 16 pin connector that plugs into the XM receiver is the same in all C6 Corvettes. Some early models may have a Delphi connector instead of the later Yazakis, but they are interchangable.

Ray
Old 11-24-2009, 09:04 PM
kawal
Emerging Vendor

Originally Posted by phileaglesfan
How does it work in a Non NAV OEM system. Does it just come up when I select XM?
This will work in any C6 Corvette that has an XM receiver. To use the AUX IN feature, you would select XM on the radio and listen to your music device instead of the XM station.

Ray

Get notified of new replies

To An Auxiliary Input Alternative for owners who don't use XM

Old 11-24-2009, 11:17 PM
Crystal Vette
Pro

Nicely done. Just placed my order. Look forward in using this easy to install harness.

Happy Thanksgiving. AL
Old 11-24-2009, 11:26 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 435 Likes on 372 Posts

Nice job Ray!
Old 11-25-2009, 06:57 AM
AFVETTE
Team Owner

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts

OK, now this is a mod I must have. I'll be ordering when I get home from work this afternoon.

Can't wait to use my Blackberry and SLACKER radio connection.

Tom

Quick Reply: An Auxiliary Input Alternative for owners who don't use XM