C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Is Corvette a luxuary car?
Yes
18.64%
No
81.36%
Voters: 338. You may not vote on this poll

Is Corvette a luxury car?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2020, 07:19 AM
449er
Race Director

Received 4,725 Likes on 3,005 Posts
2023 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Originally Posted by john91498
if I can aford it, it's certainly not elite..a piece of **** compared to a Porsche ,Lambo, or Ferrari
Now here is a thoughtful tip that we all can use
Old 08-13-2020, 07:39 AM
WICKEDFRC
Race Director

Received 1,652 Likes on 738 Posts

Originally Posted by ls2kev
My stupid USAA insurance says it's a luxury car and charges me accordingly.

but I voted NO. There is nothing luxurious about the interior what-so-ever. The only thing close to it is the leather and the heated seats which I hardly use.
Yeah, it's a luxury to have because most people can't prioritize their life correctly in order to afford one... but that shouldn't make me have to pay what I do.
After 21 years of one-way loyalty, I finally dumped USAA for this and many other reasons. Caught them downright scamming unsuspecting Veterans. I should request a Class Action Lawsuit against them frauds.
Old 08-13-2020, 08:55 AM
FAUEE
Race Director

Received 4,463 Likes on 2,811 Posts

Originally Posted by jbc1995fb
I think that it's a "luxury" because it's a 2 seater and not very practical to many people who only have 1 vehicle, so to those people that don't own one, they might think of it as a "luxury item". Look at the going rate for pickups and SUV's these days and the Corvette is a bargain compared to some of the other vehicles.

P.S. I don't normally reply to these old *** threads but today I said what the hell. At least it wasn't another tire thread.
I hate necrophilia on threads as well, but looks like this one is all zombiefied so here's my take.

One could make the argument that all cars are a luxury item. Barring that, since most people have it as a secondary or tertiary vehicle, it's clearly a luxury item. Going even further, it's clearly more opulent than a Corolla, camaro, or most other cars of similar vintage, so in that sense is more of a luxury object.

That said, traditionally the term luxury car applies to vehicles that focus on amenities and not performance. Cars like a typical Lincoln or caddy, a jaguar, a Lexus LS or BMW 7, etc. Some of these have powerful engines, but they're not really designed for performance. The Corvette is not one of those.

So to me, it's a luxury item, but not a luxury car. It's a luxury item that happens to be a sports car, and I think that really, all sports cars are luxury items.
The following 2 users liked this post by FAUEE:
jbc1995fb (08-13-2020), LS1AB (08-14-2020)
Old 08-13-2020, 09:04 AM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Received 2,845 Likes on 1,802 Posts

Originally Posted by john91498
if I can aford it, it's certainly not elite..a piece of **** compared to a Porsche ,Lambo, or Ferrari
You had to resurrect a three year-old thread to say this? You might want to tell this to the Porsche, Lambo, and Ferrari IMSA drivers who have been looking at Corvette tail lights since the season started. It might make them feel a little better.
Old 11-23-2021, 01:47 PM
pauliski
Instructor

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

Hello all....here I am going to comment on a old thread, but so what?
I just saw it and want to put in my personal feelings and I invite anyone to dispute what I say.
If you look at "traditional" luxury cars, both Japanese and European the criteria is comfort high quality of materials and usually a choice of engines
with various power outputs. If you compare the new C8 Corvette with these so called luxury cars first and foremost it is a true sports car first.
I did vehicle inspections for 9 years and most were your top luxury cars so I think I am a good authority on what equipment comes in a luxury car.
Example would be a Volvo. I never saw a model without memory seats, however heated seats were on a few and none had ventilated seats. I never saw a power tilt
steering wheel either. I have a Lexus and it is without a doubt a luxury car,, no dispute there. My C8 2LT has everything my Lexus has and more mostly because it is newer. I have 5 HD cameras, Full memory on
both seats, steering wheel position up and forward, mirrors, and radio. I have cross traffic alert and blind spot monitoring. I have 1000 different memory positions for the front lift system (take that Ferrari and Lambo)
I have all the latest radio gadgets and apps including over the air updates. I have NAPA LEATHER, the highest quality out there. Heated and ventilated seats. Also remote features with settings for pre heating your
seats on cold mornings. Power folding heated memory mirrors with memory once again. Heated steering wheel. Magnetic shocks the best shocks in the world for comfort and performance. Seats that give you easy
automatic entry and exit. What more do you want in luxury?? Please tell me this is not a luxury car second only to a super sports car for a below $80,000 price as equipped.
Old 11-23-2021, 02:55 PM
Klawp
Drifting

Received 855 Likes on 476 Posts

Originally Posted by pauliski
Hello all....here I am going to comment on a old thread, but so what?
I just saw it and want to put in my personal feelings and I invite anyone to dispute what I say.
If you look at "traditional" luxury cars, both Japanese and European the criteria is comfort high quality of materials and usually a choice of engines
with various power outputs. If you compare the new C8 Corvette with these so called luxury cars first and foremost it is a true sports car first.
I did vehicle inspections for 9 years and most were your top luxury cars so I think I am a good authority on what equipment comes in a luxury car.
Example would be a Volvo. I never saw a model without memory seats, however heated seats were on a few and none had ventilated seats. I never saw a power tilt
steering wheel either. I have a Lexus and it is without a doubt a luxury car,, no dispute there. My C8 2LT has everything my Lexus has and more mostly because it is newer. I have 5 HD cameras, Full memory on
both seats, steering wheel position up and forward, mirrors, and radio. I have cross traffic alert and blind spot monitoring. I have 1000 different memory positions for the front lift system (take that Ferrari and Lambo)
I have all the latest radio gadgets and apps including over the air updates. I have NAPA LEATHER, the highest quality out there. Heated and ventilated seats. Also remote features with settings for pre heating your
seats on cold mornings. Power folding heated memory mirrors with memory once again. Heated steering wheel. Magnetic shocks the best shocks in the world for comfort and performance. Seats that give you easy
automatic entry and exit. What more do you want in luxury?? Please tell me this is not a luxury car second only to a super sports car for a below $80,000 price as equipped.
I did valet for 5 years during college and drove everything under the sun and Corvettes will never be considered luxury, sorry. Your Maybachs, Rolls, Bentleys - those are luxury cars. It's a stretch to say it even has luxury features as most of the stuff the C8 has is standard even in Kias nowadays..
The following users liked this post:
montereyredvette (11-23-2021)
Old 11-23-2021, 03:31 PM
jeffs64
Burning Brakes

Received 261 Likes on 190 Posts

Originally Posted by UwU
I did valet for 5 years during college and drove everything under the sun and Corvettes will never be considered luxury, sorry. Your Maybachs, Rolls, Bentleys - those are luxury cars. It's a stretch to say it even has luxury features as most of the stuff the C8 has is standard even in Kias nowadays..
You should buy and drive a Kia enjoy.
MyDarkAngel (04-30-2022)
Old 11-23-2021, 05:00 PM
pauliski
Instructor

Ok you did Valet and you have seen very fine automobiles. I inspected vehicles for 9 years which totaled about 10,000 cars. When I say inspected it evolved driving them for a short distance, confirming and documenting EVERY feature of the vehicle as well. It would be easier for me to list cars that I did not inspect and drive.
McLaren, Bugatti's would be a few I could think of besides a few exotics. I know luxury. So if what the C8 has as luxury and convenience what examples can you give me that are in the luxury class that have features I did not list? I did Rolls, Bentleys, Range Rovers, Jags, Maserati's, Mercedes, AMGs, Porches, Maybach, a Couple of Lambos, a Ferrari or 2, and maybe a few others besides every Volvo, BMW, and Audi ever made....well not a Audi R8. Your point has been made and I get it and yes some cheaper cars are coming with many of the features I mentioned but no way when you get into the list I said was on the C8. NO WAY! Like I said state something that is on a "true luxury car" that I don't have besides a rear seat bar, cooler, folding table, vibrating seats, self driving (never on a VETT)??
I agree it will never be "listed as a luxury car" but compare it to most Teslas that don't have half of my features.
Old 11-23-2021, 07:06 PM
Klawp
Drifting

Originally Posted by jeffs64
You should buy and drive a Kia enjoy.
You can't polish turds unfortunately!

Ok you did Valet and you have seen very fine automobiles. I inspected vehicles for 9 years which totaled about 10,000 cars. When I say inspected it evolved driving them for a short distance, confirming and documenting EVERY feature of the vehicle as well. It would be easier for me to list cars that I did not inspect and drive.
McLaren, Bugatti's would be a few I could think of besides a few exotics. I know luxury. So if what the C8 has as luxury and convenience what examples can you give me that are in the luxury class that have features I did not list? I did Rolls, Bentleys, Range Rovers, Jags, Maserati's, Mercedes, AMGs, Porches, Maybach, a Couple of Lambos, a Ferrari or 2, and maybe a few others besides every Volvo, BMW, and Audi ever made....well not a Audi R8. Your point has been made and I get it and yes some cheaper cars are coming with many of the features I mentioned but no way when you get into the list I said was on the C8. NO WAY! Like I said state something that is on a "true luxury car" that I don't have besides a rear seat bar, cooler, folding table, vibrating seats, self driving (never on a VETT)??
I agree it will never be "listed as a luxury car" but compare it to most Teslas that don't have half of my features.

How about almost double the curb weight? It's like taking a speed boat out in the ocean vs a yacht. Sure the share a lot of the same bells and whistles but ask anyone which ones the luxurious ones and watch their face when you tell them 'its the speed boat'..
Old 11-23-2021, 08:02 PM
Patsgarage
Team Owner

Received 1,597 Likes on 1,074 Posts

Originally Posted by jimijam
This thread should have died 35 months ago.
*120 months.
Old 11-27-2021, 01:44 PM
pauliski
Instructor

double the curb weight of What??
Old 11-27-2021, 03:44 PM
Dolna78
4th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll say its a Sports car !
Old 11-27-2021, 03:59 PM
ChiefBoats

Location: NNCC No Name Car Crew Owned 1 C2, 2 C3's, 1 C4, 3 C5's, 1 C6, 2 C7's Now '81, '86, '03.
Received 3,941 Likes on 1,623 Posts
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2023 C3 of the Year Wnner - Unmodified
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
St. Jude Donor '21-'22-'23-'24

Let's see, soft air cushiony ride....no. Luxurious plush seats....no. So no.
Old 11-27-2021, 04:18 PM
Klawp
Drifting

double the curb weight of What??
2021 Rolls Cullinan 6,069 lbs

2021 C8 3,535 lbs
Old 11-27-2021, 04:50 PM
pauliski
Instructor

This has become a fun debate....one I know I can't win. Well the two things you said a luxury car has is also very debatable.
Do ALL Jags, All Mercedes, All Porches, All Maserati's, All Audis, All BMWs, All....well name all of the Luxury cars you want and DO ALL of their models
have "soft cushiony rides, and (Luxurious?) plush seats?" Not any of those manufactures sport models. With the Mag ride suspension I get a pretty nice ride.
Yes I concede the Corvette is a Sports Car first and that is what it was designed and is supposed to be First and Foremost.
Once again name luxury features that are on cars in the luxury class of automobiles that are NOT on a LT2 or LT3 C8 Corvette?
I realize a Corvette will NEVER be considered a Luxury car....but they have become VERY Luxurious, And I personally drive a Lexus which
is without a doubt in the luxury class. Oh yeah....one more thing. All of those cars that I have inspected over the years did not have a radio that
sounded as good as my Bose with 14 speakers.
PS. Real luxury is a Rolls or a Bentley and Maybach when they were a separate brand from Mercedes.
Old 11-27-2021, 04:53 PM
pauliski
Instructor

I missed the meaning of what you mean by the weight difference.
Are you saying a heavy car is luxury and a light car is strictly a sports car only?
Can't argue that.
Old 11-27-2021, 05:35 PM
Klawp
Drifting

I missed the meaning of what you mean by the weight difference.
Are you saying a heavy car is luxury and a light car is strictly a sports car only?
Can't argue that.
No I was just answering your initial question of naming something that only a true luxury car would have that you're c8 doesn't and I said how about another 2500lbs :P

Get notified of new replies

To Is Corvette a luxury car?

Old 11-28-2021, 05:18 PM
DerrickW
Drifting

Received 205 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by Patsgarage
*120 months.
Bingo to this. This poll was stupid years ago, is stupid now. First of all you really can't write this poll for the "Corvette". My 07 C6 is a .05LT! No power adjustments at all on the passenger seat, no nothing really let alone anything that can be considered "luxury." It can't be compared with other Corvettes let alone other maker's 'luxury' cars.
Old 11-28-2021, 09:57 PM
Patsgarage
Team Owner

Received 1,597 Likes on 1,074 Posts

This thread has been around longer than some of the responders.
MyDarkAngel (04-30-2022)
Old 11-29-2021, 08:59 AM
Jon2kZ
Racer

Received 186 Likes on 120 Posts

It certainly was a luxury car to the smog shop I went to a few years ago as they tacked on a $10 "Luxury" charge. I don't go there anymore.

Quick Reply: Is Corvette a luxury car?