C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NPP Exhaust Questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2009, 09:20 AM
RockyMountain Z
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default NPP Exhaust Questions

I have a 2008 coupe with standard exhaust.
I have been reading about NPP exhaust...I want to convert.
What components are different (what parts would I need to buy) to convert to a factory NPP install?
How much horse power will I gain?
Will the conversion require me to tune my car?
Old 11-10-2009, 09:27 AM
RockyMountain Z
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

I moved question to C6 tech.
Old 11-10-2009, 10:05 AM
gprap
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 08 vet
I have a 2008 coupe with standard exhaust.
I have been reading about NPP exhaust...I want to convert.
What components are different (what parts would I need to buy) to convert to a factory NPP install?
How much horse power will I gain?
Will the conversion require me to tune my car?
I just completed the same task on my '08. The easiest way and , I feel the best way, is to purchase the mufflers and an "NPP in a Box" system and do the installation. This is all you will need. The horse power gain is 6 HP and you do not have to tune your car. I definitely would not purchase all of the parts needed from GM because they are expensive and it renders the system quite useless (the mufflers only open at 3500 rpm). With the "Npp in a Box" system, you open and close the mufflers with a remote that is supplied with the kit. You control when you want them open and when you want them closed.

I purchased the mufflers on eBay (take-offs - never run before I purchased them) for $600 to my door and purchased the NPP in a Box from RPI Performance over the Internet for $169.

If you plan to do it this way, you can contact me at gprapim@yahoo.com and I will give you some hints on the installation and what you will need to do.
Old 11-10-2009, 01:49 PM
RockyMountain Z
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks.
Old 11-10-2009, 09:28 PM
Hogvette
Burning Brakes

IMO, NPP is about dB not hP.... also one of the 3 best mods I've done.

Old 11-10-2009, 09:50 PM
Top_Fuel
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by gprap
I definitely would not purchase all of the parts needed from GM because they are expensive.
The NPP mufflers alone from GM will run close to $1600 (with a decent discount).
Old 11-10-2009, 09:58 PM
need-for-speed
Team Owner

Received 865 Likes on 608 Posts
CI 1-4-5-8-9-10 Vet
St. Jude Donor '03,'04,'05,'07,08,'09,'10,’17

I just completed the same task on my '08. The easiest way and , I feel the best way, is to purchase the mufflers and an "NPP in a Box" system and do the installation. This is all you will need. The horse power gain is 6 HP and you do not have to tune your car. I definitely would not purchase all of the parts needed from GM because they are expensive and it renders the system quite useless (the mufflers only open at 3500 rpm). With the "Npp in a Box" system, you open and close the mufflers with a remote that is supplied with the kit. You control when you want them open and when you want them closed.

I purchased the mufflers on eBay (take-offs - never run before I purchased them) for $600 to my door and purchased the NPP in a Box from RPI Performance over the Internet for $169.

If you plan to do it this way, you can contact me at gprapim@yahoo.com and I will give you some hints on the installation and what you will need to do.
Well done. That is a much less $ than I suspected for this conversion.
Old 11-10-2009, 10:37 PM
LOUSVETTE
NCM Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Also did that on my 08. Best mod you can do
Old 11-10-2009, 10:38 PM
Shortimer
Safety Car

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Great price for the NPP exhaust on eBay. You're gonna like the sound. Don't forget to get a Mild to Wild mod if the NPP in a Box doesn't allow you to control the valves.
Old 11-10-2009, 11:49 PM
EMT_Vette_DUDE
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Hogvette

Amen Brother
Old 11-10-2009, 11:50 PM
Vipor
Advanced

I love the sound. Definitely worth the M2W cost.
Old 11-11-2009, 12:51 AM
EMT_Vette_DUDE
Intermediate

What do you guys think about the B/B Bullet mild/wild setup system. It's sold as one piece, but Bullets are droners from hell. Don't get me wrong, I love loud strong cars, but drone can ruin a conversation with the woman, if you know wat I mean.
I'm opting for Corsa Extremes,but I'm still sorta up in the air about the decision between them and an NPP setup.
Old 11-11-2009, 12:53 AM
EMT_Vette_DUDE
Intermediate

Almost forgot
Lou. Nice color on the Vette . What's the paint color?
I'm deciding between white, silver, or victory red.
thanks
Old 11-11-2009, 06:49 AM
RyanC7
Le Mans Master

Received 84 Likes on 58 Posts

Well GM says 6hp. 436 vs 430 with the NPP.

The bypass does increase HP, how much -- not much.
Old 11-11-2009, 09:16 AM
gprap
Cruising

Originally Posted by EMT_Vette_DUDE
What do you guys think about the B/B Bullet mild/wild setup system. It's sold as one piece, but Bullets are droners from hell. Don't get me wrong, I love loud strong cars, but drone can ruin a conversation with the woman, if you know wat I mean.
I'm opting for Corsa Extremes,but I'm still sorta up in the air about the decision between them and an NPP setup.
After just installing the NPP system, I find it really quite good. I have been running it open for days, now and only find the resonance noticeable, and not radically so, between 1100 and 1500 rpm when pulling grades or just cruising around. I can't speak about the B/B system, because I have never had one. I do know, that ift you want a lot of noise, the NPP system is not the one to go with. It has a very pleasant sound and the resonance is something almost anyone can live with---if not, then shut them down with a Mild to Wild System or NPP in a Box (depending on what your needs are). I suggest you ride in a Vette with the NPP system before making your decision, because as you say, you don't mind a loud car, and the NPP just might not be enough for you.
Old 11-12-2009, 04:28 AM
EMT_Vette_DUDE
Intermediate

After just installing the NPP system, I find it really quite good. I have been running it open for days, now and only find the resonance noticeable, and not radically so, between 1100 and 1500 rpm when pulling grades or just cruising around. I can't speak about the B/B system, because I have never had one. I do know, that ift you want a lot of noise, the NPP system is not the one to go with. It has a very pleasant sound and the resonance is something almost anyone can live with---if not, then shut them down with a Mild to Wild System or NPP in a Box (depending on what your needs are). I suggest you ride in a Vette with the NPP system before making your decision, because as you say, you don't mind a loud car, and the NPP just might not be enough for you.
Thanks You for the advice,
Ya NPP from GM is like 1600.00
NPP in a box sounds ideal.

RJT
Old 11-12-2009, 05:58 AM
07 Z51
Pro

Don't get me wrong, I love loud strong cars, but drone can ruin a conversation with the woman, if you know what I mean.
MODS - please check on the IP logins for the above referenced member. Premised upon the above post, it is abundantly obvious that the member's significant other has logged in under his name and made some posts that we all know to be patently false. No self respecting car guy really wants to hear his woman speak while in the car. Please cure this security breach before the entire Corvette community gets a bad name. Thanks.

Get notified of new replies

To NPP Exhaust Questions

Old 11-12-2009, 07:13 AM
LOUSVETTE
NCM Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Almost forgot
Lou. Nice color on the Vette . What's the paint color?
I'm deciding between white, silver, or victory red.
thanks
Thanks, its Cyber Grey
Old 11-12-2009, 07:19 AM
Ratchet Thunderbolt
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I changed my over because the car was to quiet. I really enjoy the sound of the car around town and the quiet on the highway. I purchased my NPP exhaust and controller from Sunset Orange Creations, a forum vendor for about $1100 to my door. Remember 2008 and 2009 exhausts are not interchangeable.

Old 11-12-2009, 09:27 AM
NYC6
Team Owner

Received 207 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by RyanC6
Well GM says 6hp. 436 vs 430 with the NPP.

The bypass does increase HP, how much -- not much.
And even more of a gain with a modded engine.

I love the NPP in a box. Having the option to decide is great.

Quick Reply: NPP Exhaust Questions