C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

sat nav - better without it?

Old 10-31-2009, 03:34 PM
hype7
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sat nav - better without it?

hey yall

so i took out a c6 and gotta say i was impressed. great car, love the rwd bias

however, a couple of things were disappointing. i don't think i'd be shocking anyone by saying the interior was a letdown. as a follow on from that, the sat nav *sucked*. i don't know... i almost think the car would be better without it. it just doesn't seem like the kind of car that needs one, you know what i mean? if i wanted my car to tell me where to go i'd go buy a japanese car.

thoughts? if it came out, would you guys miss it?
Old 10-31-2009, 03:38 PM
JerryC5
Melting Slicks

Received 198 Likes on 79 Posts
Cruise-In I Veteran
Cruise-In II Veteran

I ordered my 2010 without the nav. I like to take long trips on two lane roads, so I preprogram my laptop or a Garmin GPS to keep track of the turns.
Old 10-31-2009, 03:40 PM
slvr 07
Melting Slicks

about the only thing good i can say about it, it looks nice..
Old 10-31-2009, 03:43 PM
Vette Suspension
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Read the manual and you will quickly change your mind about the NAV. It is not easy to operate but has some great options. Day/night mode, split screen, voice command, input telephone # for POI, and route options that show on the screen the 3 choices.

You can also check out Talon90's sticky about the NAV. You will be pleasantly surprised.
Old 10-31-2009, 03:52 PM
Team Ruby
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

I will be ordering a GS as soon as I can get the boat sold. I have been debating the nav issue too. I have an '07 Tahoe with the GM nav system. I haven't used it that much but when I'm driving at night I hate it. The display is too bright even when I switch it to night mode. If I turn the display off, it's good but if I'm playing the radio, I can't see any of the radio information without turning the display back on. I find it to be a real nuisance. In the Tahoe, the display is fairly low in the dash, my fear with the Vette is it will be even higher and more of a distraction. Is the Vette nav system functionally better than what I have in the Tahoe?
Old 10-31-2009, 04:04 PM
phileaglesfan
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 129 Posts

The NAV system in Chevy's flagship doesn't even have a traffic feature. A lot of people say I don't need it and that is fine. Go into a big city and you'll wish you have it.
Old 10-31-2009, 04:08 PM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,276 Likes on 935 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21-'22-'23-'24

47.6% of the 2008 C6s and 46.6% of the 2009 C6s had the Nav option.

Someone likes it.
Old 10-31-2009, 04:09 PM
Vette Suspension
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by phileaglesfan
The NAV system in Chevy's flagship doesn't even have a traffic feature. A lot of people say I don't need it and that is fine. Go into a big city and you'll wish you have it.
In Chicago here about as big as you get. I have the traffic feature on a brand new Garmin for my other vehicle and I find it absolutely useless. By the time you get the traffic warning your already in it. I have also been in very heavy traffic with no warming at all.

I find the XM traffic or the traffic on the AM radio much more reliable.
Old 10-31-2009, 04:09 PM
Vette Suspension
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by JimTN
47.6% of the 2008 C6s and 46.6% of the 2009 C6s had the Nav option.

Someone likes it.
I do.
Old 10-31-2009, 04:11 PM
-CM-
Melting Slicks

Received 64 Likes on 35 Posts

I sure like mine when I go to Denver.
Old 10-31-2009, 04:30 PM
lander
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11

Originally Posted by hype7
hey yall

so i took out a c6 and gotta say i was impressed. great car, love the rwd bias

however, a couple of things were disappointing. i don't think i'd be shocking anyone by saying the interior was a letdown. as a follow on from that, the sat nav *sucked*. i don't know... i almost think the car would be better without it. it just doesn't seem like the kind of car that needs one, you know what i mean? if i wanted my car to tell me where to go i'd go buy a japanese car.

thoughts? if it came out, would you guys miss it?
Obviously if you don't know how something works or how to use it then you won't find it very worth while.

If you're not a then take a little while to read the instructions that came with the car and then read the links in the Sticky in this section. After that you'll have a better understanding on how the system works and you'll be better educated then to form an opinion.

If you are just a then run along.
Old 10-31-2009, 04:40 PM
DAS ZED
Burning Brakes

I wanted Nav originally. When I found my '09 it had everything I wanted except Nav, but it had the seven spoke wheels (RPO VFS) so I took it.

I have a Garmin that I use when I take a road trip, so everything is working fine for me.

Old 10-31-2009, 04:47 PM
mpuzach
Race Director

Received 1,190 Likes on 594 Posts

Like many here, I like the factory navigation system. Yeah, it's missing a few features that some aftermarket units have but it also flashes commands through the HUD and reduces the volume level of the audio system before giving voice commands. Contrary to your comment, the factory navigation absolutely does not suck.

I'm not sure what you mean by "if i wanted my car to tell me where to go i'd go buy a japanese car." What does the car's country of origin have to do with whether or not built-in navigation is useful?
Old 10-31-2009, 04:48 PM
Vette Suspension
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by lander
Obviously if you don't know how something works or how to use it then you won't find it very worth while.

If you're not a then take a little while to read the instructions that came with the car and then read the links in the Sticky in this section. After that you'll have a better understanding on how the system works and you'll be better educated then to form an opinion.

If you are just a then run along.
Great point. The Japanese car reference was a little odd. They may tell you where to go, but when you get there you usually have arrived in a rather bland looking car.
Old 10-31-2009, 04:49 PM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,919 Likes on 4,805 Posts

Really did not have a need for it, just use my portable Garmin.
Old 10-31-2009, 05:00 PM
captain47
Instructor

I did not get it on my 2010 GS,sometimes it is nice to get lost and take the back roads to see where they take me,much more fun
Old 10-31-2009, 05:50 PM
Doing69
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

For the little I use a nav, I did not think it was worth the cost. My portable Garmin is all that is needed.

Get notified of new replies

To sat nav - better without it?

Old 10-31-2009, 06:00 PM
AtHomeSoda
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default well..

It really cracks me up... People say they have no need for it... but then they say they use their Garmin.. Like for me, I do not want to have to pull out a portable, small *** screen unit... when mine is built in and always ready to use... Double talk...
Old 10-31-2009, 06:08 PM
Doing69
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AtHomeSoda
It really cracks me up... People say they have no need for it... but then they say they use their Garmin.. Like for me, I do not want to have to pull out a portable, small *** screen unit... when mine is built in and always ready to use... Double talk...
My portable Garmin transfers to three other cars. More cost effective than your one car use built in nav. Enjoy.
Old 10-31-2009, 06:16 PM
Vette Suspension
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Doing69
My portable Garmin transfers to three other cars. More cost effective than your one car use built in nav. Enjoy.
I have a portable Garmin brand new 5' screen. Great unit. But, I love the look and the functions of my NAV in the Vette. The NAV screen looks good, works good, has tons of functions and options, HUD integrated, and no wires hanging all over.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: sat nav - better without it?