C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I did the DO NOT. Can anybody help? (Erasing the FOB)

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2009, 11:35 AM
monstercb2002
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I did the DO NOT. Can anybody help? (Erasing the FOB)

I accidently held down the ignition button when attempting to start my 05 vette this morning. The car would not start. Eveything lights up, radio works, headlights work, but the car would not tuen over. I hear the little noise when I press the START button, but nothing happens.

I think I erased the Key Codes, but when I do the programming steps (Open trunk with key, turn key 5 times in 5 secons, place transmitted in FOB slot in Glove box) the heads up display asks me to program FOB #3 or #4...????

I think I need to reprogram the FOBS I alredy have (#1 and #2).

Can anybody help? This sucks to start my week out.
Old 10-26-2009, 11:44 AM
427PWRD
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This happened to me too one night. I had to put the fob in the glovebox in order to start the car. I felt like I had to "ghetto rig" it to start it.

After letting the car sit for 2 hours, I came back and magically everything worked again. It was weird...
Old 10-26-2009, 11:44 AM
talon90
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 153 Likes on 73 Posts
Tech Contributor
Cruise-In 11 Veteran
NCM Ambassador
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'10

Originally Posted by monstercb2002
I accidently held down the ignition button when attempting to start my 05 vette this morning. The car would not start. Eveything lights up, radio works, headlights work, but the car would not tuen over. I hear the little noise when I press the START button, but nothing happens.

I think I erased the Key Codes, but when I do the programming steps (Open trunk with key, turn key 5 times in 5 secons, place transmitted in FOB slot in Glove box) the heads up display asks me to program FOB #3 or #4...????

I think I need to reprogram the FOBS I alredy have (#1 and #2).

Can anybody help? This sucks to start my week out.
Did you hold down the bottom of the start switch? If you hold down the bottom of the rocker for 10 seconds you will put the car in to "ignition on, engine off mode." This will give you the ability to do anything you need with the car as if the engine was running. It is much more inclusive than the accessory mode. To get out of that, simply press the bottom of the rocker again and it will shut it off. Once done, you should be able to start the car normally.

Don't go any further with the fob progamming. If it is telling you that fob 3 or 4 are next your 1 and 2 are still programmed. You didn't erase the fobs. Follow my advice above and you should be fine. You should not be able to erase the fobs by holding the start switch but if you continue with the fob programming procedure, you could.
Old 10-26-2009, 11:49 AM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 435 Likes on 372 Posts

your car does not require re-programming. Try putting the fob in the slot to start it...otherwise I would guess that your car battery is low. If the car is asking for fob 3 then it has #1 and 2 in it and they are fine. Do not erase them as you will just make for more problems. A low battery can make almost anything happen on an '05 especially.
Also, the slot is there for this purpose, so I wouldn't call it "ghetto rigging".
If it won't start with the fob in the slot, then jump it and go get a new battery.
Old 10-26-2009, 11:52 AM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,276 Likes on 935 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21-'22-'23-'24

monstercb, the programming steps you described were the steps for adding additional fobs. From what others have already posted here, I think your fobs are still okay.
Old 10-26-2009, 11:53 AM
vettedoogie
Le Mans Master

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by talon90
Did you hold down the bottom of the start switch? If you hold down the bottom of the rocker for 10 seconds you will put the car in to "ignition on, engine off mode." This will give you the ability to do anything you need with the car as if the engine was running. It is much more inclusive than the accessory mode. To get out of that, simply press the bottom of the rocker again and it will shut it off. Once done, you should be able to start the car normally.

Don't go any further with the fob progamming. If it is telling you that fob 3 or 4 are next your 1 and 2 are still programmed. You didn't erase the fobs. Follow my advice above and you should be fine. You should not be able to erase the fobs by holding the start switch but if you continue with the fob programming procedure, you could.
Thanks Paul. Once again, totally useful knowledge from Corvette Forum. I had no idea about this one!
Old 10-26-2009, 12:00 PM
monstercb2002
Advanced

Originally Posted by cclive
your car does not require re-programming. Try putting the fob in the slot to start it...otherwise I would guess that your car battery is low. If the car is asking for fob 3 then it has #1 and 2 in it and they are fine. Do not erase them as you will just make for more problems. A low battery can make almost anything happen on an '05 especially.
Also, the slot is there for this purpose, so I wouldn't call it "ghetto rigging".
If it won't start with the fob in the slot, then jump it and go get a new battery.
I have started with the reprogramming of the FOBS. Hopefully this does the trick. I noticed the Battery Volts were at 12.8 which I thought meant the battery was good. This is strange.
Old 10-26-2009, 12:00 PM
cclive
Team Owner

And fobs can't be de-programmed by doing anything inside the cockpit, like pushing or holding or anything with the start button.
Old 10-26-2009, 12:02 PM
monstercb2002
Advanced

Good thing I didn't close the trunk! When I closed the door for the first reprogramming step, the doors locked and the alarm armed itself. I am able to continue through the reprogramming process by climbing through the trunk to get to the dashboard.

Lol...you should see me now. My wife would have a kick out of this if she saw me. I have Auto-Lock set to ON. I should have taken that off before starting this process.
Old 10-26-2009, 12:07 PM
monstercb2002
Advanced

And fobs can't be de-programmed by doing anything inside the cockpit, like pushing or holding or anything with the start button.
See the link below. The first tip says if you hold the ignition button down you will erase the key codes.

http://www.wikihow.com/Start-a-2005-up-Corvette

Maybe, this is wrong, but that is what I did this morning by accident.
Old 10-26-2009, 12:11 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Yes, that tip is absolutely, 100%, patently, wrong. There is nothing you can do while you are sitting in the drivers seat that will erase fobs.

Step 7 in that Wiki is also wrong and the tip below about locking yourself in the car is wrong.

Last edited by cclive; 10-26-2009 at 12:13 PM.
Old 10-26-2009, 12:14 PM
monstercb2002
Advanced

Yes, that tip is absolutely, 100%, patently, wrong. There is nothing you can do while you are sitting in the drivers seat that will erase fobs.
Lol...Ok. I also noticed that High Bean lever was engaged, but I believe it automatically turns itself off when the acr is turned off. I have the headlights set to AUTO. Could this be the culprit?

I tried jump starting the car but got nothing. The battery display read 12.8 volts (almost half(13 volts) on the dash board).

Almost finished with the reprogramming.
Old 10-26-2009, 12:19 PM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by monstercb2002
See the link below. The first tip says if you hold the ignition button down you will erase the key codes.

http://www.wikihow.com/Start-a-2005-up-Corvette

Maybe, this is wrong, but that is what I did this morning by accident.
It WAS wrong. It doesn't say that any more.
Old 10-26-2009, 12:21 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Thats funny, it has been edited out that fast....

It wasn't me....
Old 10-26-2009, 12:21 PM
monstercb2002
Advanced

Ok. Reprogramming completed successfully but car still does not start. All lights, radio, etc... working perfect.

Battery meter reads 11.5 volts. I think the baterry is still strong.

Any ideas?
Old 10-26-2009, 12:25 PM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Put the reprogrammed fob in the slot in the glove box and see if the car will start. That voltage you quoted seems a little low to me. I think your car battery is about gone.
Old 10-26-2009, 12:35 PM
cclive
Team Owner

I just changed the programming instructions to include putting the drivers window down all the way...I never thought the auto-lock would get in the way of fob programming, but we learn something every day here on the forum.

Get notified of new replies

To I did the DO NOT. Can anybody help? (Erasing the FOB)

Old 10-26-2009, 12:36 PM
monstercb2002
Advanced

Originally Posted by JimTN
Put the reprogrammed fob in the slot in the glove box and see if the car will start. That voltage you quoted seems a little low to me. I think your car battery is about gone.
Tried the FOB in the slot = No Luck

Yeah the voltage does a look a little low. Going to try and use a heavy duty charger to see if it will jump.
Old 10-26-2009, 12:38 PM
monstercb2002
Advanced

I just changed the programming instructions to include putting the drivers window down all the way...I never thought the auto-lock would get in the way of fob programming, but we learn something every day here on the forum.
Glad I left the trunk open. Disarming the alarm would add to my problems.

If I have to replace the battery, will I need to re-index the windows?
Old 10-26-2009, 12:41 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Before you replace the battery, try just disconnecting the ground cable from the battery for a few minutes. Its worth a try...
Yes, after disconnecting the battery, you will need to re-index

Quick Reply: I did the DO NOT. Can anybody help? (Erasing the FOB)