C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Egged!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2010, 02:29 AM
jpuli28
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Rule292

The egg shells scratch a rough circular band where they hit and shatter. Usually goes well into the clearcoat.

The egg washes off but I doubt the "ring of saturn" can be polished off.

It's black, your only choice is a repaint of the trunk lid. Probably not a difficult or expensive job.
I got egged tonight! While away from everyone elses cars at the movies, I come out to find not one but two eggs struck the car. One hit the door leaving the above mentioned circular evidence and the other hit the windshield.
Its nearly 35 degress out and think the cold panels prob contributed to the damage, or the eggs were near solid.
I kinda blew it off til I saw the damage f'in kids!
Old 01-10-2010, 03:39 AM
Rabeah22
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

this happened to me the first week i bought my car. my brother borrowed it to go to a buddies house, and when i got there to meet him up about 5 minutes after he had parked i relized it was egged. the top was also down but fortunetly nothing went on the inside.
Old 01-10-2010, 07:10 AM
JACKAL0PE
Lepus-temperamentalus
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Wow! After reading this I did some searching on the net about cars being egged to see if I could find some kind of miracle cure.

The bad news is that no, didn't find anything to fix it. The good news is that it can be at least mitigated somewhat by a complete cleaning and claying followed by the above scratch removers and polishes (see below photo of a professional "after" non-repaint repair).

What I was so amazed at was that an egg can do that much damage. I always figured it was the egg itself that would hurt the paint...like bird crap. I had no idea that the shell caused so much damage. In one article it was described as the paint being hit with a hundred razor blades.

Awfully sorry to hear about your car. Just remember Karma eventually gets people like this.
Old 01-10-2010, 09:26 AM
GotVett?
Race Director

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

These kind of things really burn me up.
Old 01-10-2010, 09:32 AM
Chuck A
Race Director

Received 138 Likes on 129 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

I have been egged, its not to Nice, sorry to hear about your misfortune, good luck on repair, or repaint
Old 01-10-2010, 09:50 AM
lastcowboy
Melting Slicks

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

call janet n. must have been a terrorist attack ,eggs must have fallen out of his underwear......whitehouse set aside 50,000,000,000,000,000 for just this thing..................anyway,good luck!
Old 01-10-2010, 09:54 AM
Red Rochester
Le Mans Master

Received 255 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by mksz51
No need to post a pic - from your description alone you have the "classic" damage from being egged. Only choices are to 1) Live with it 2) Have it repaired correctly which mean repainting the panel 3) Do a cheapo repair with touch-up paint of some sort. I know which one would be my choice.
TRY NO.2
Old 01-10-2010, 10:35 AM
Fonzijr1964
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

only way is repaint the panel
Old 01-10-2010, 10:13 PM
2006c6keller
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Default I tried some "clear" spray and it did NOT work.

Originally Posted by Red Rochester
TRY NO.2
I tried some "clear" touch up spray and it did NOT work. It had too much plastic in it and would not "feather" out to blend with the original coat. The "clear" edge would just stretch at the edges and not bite into the original coat. I finally polished it out. I never did check on any other clears, but the clear I got was from O'Rileys I believe. I sure there are better clears out there, I just didn't look any further, but next time I will.
Old 01-11-2010, 12:56 PM
tanko
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by jpuli28
I got egged tonight! While away from everyone elses cars at the movies, I come out to find not one but two eggs struck the car. One hit the door leaving the above mentioned circular evidence and the other hit the windshield.
Its nearly 35 degress out and think the cold panels prob contributed to the damage, or the eggs were near solid.
I kinda blew it off til I saw the damage f'in kids!
Sorry to hear about this! Potential vandalism is the reason I always drive our truck to the movie theater, not the Vette. It's also one reason why I rarely go the movie theater. The other reason is the ridiculous price level for the show and for snacks. I'm a Dish Network and Netflix person.

Hope you get it fixed quickly and to your satisfaction!
Old 01-11-2010, 02:43 PM
Top_Fuel
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by bent
...look at drcolorchip.com...
I checked out that website and that product looks awesome! Anyone ever use it? Looks like it would be great on a daily driver.
Old 01-11-2010, 03:45 PM
BDillon
Instructor

This happened to me while my car was sitting in front of a friends $million house.
I don't know about black but I can tell you that my 08 is Machine Silver and they had to repaint the entire side of the car (twice) to get it to blend properly.
$1200 and two weeks and the repair is perfect.
They had to remove all on the panels on that side of the car.
It was repaired so it would take a very highly skilled expert to tell the car was repainted.

I hope the black is easier to match.

The insurance adjuster said the damage was VERY common when a car (not just a Corvette) is hit with an egg.
Thrown from a moving car is even worse.

I am very sorry to hear about this.
I know how pissed off I was
Old 01-13-2010, 09:16 PM
JACKAL0PE
Lepus-temperamentalus
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Top_Fuel
I checked out that website and that product looks awesome! Anyone ever use it? Looks like it would be great on a daily driver.
Yes, I have and it's a damn good product.

Keep in mind, it's a touchup, not a repaint. It'll fill in the chips, but they're still there and you can feel them when you run your hand over them, but as touchups go, it's the best thing I've ever seen or used.
Old 01-13-2010, 11:58 PM
mcc978
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17,’18,’19
NCM Sinkhole Donor

I don't get why people think it is ok to do this kind of thing to someone's car. I own a vette because I saved up for it over the years and they would be able to own one too if they do the same. This kind of lack of respect for other people's property is horrible.

Quick Reply: Egged!!!!