C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2005 Vette owners....you like it? Issues?

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2009, 10:47 PM
Tigers 84
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 7 Posts

Default 2005 Vette owners....you like it? Issues?

Hello,
It's been about 10 years now since I sold my last Vette---a beautiful 1994 red on black convertible. Now, I have the itch again!! I was also a member here back then, but once I sold the Vette well I went away. Its one of those things where once it was gone I didn't want to come here and hear about all the fun you guys and gals were having if you know what I mean!

My workplace only allowed us to lease vehicles the past 10 years, which was why I sold the 94 Vette (it was OUT of compliance as it was greater then 3 years old!), and due to their dollar constriants they had for leases I was in both a 2001 Mustang GT convertible (don't kill me it was a good deal) and a 2006 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited currently (cool ride and besides the Vettes and perhaps the motorcycle dudes it's the only co-owners who WAVE to each other----the Wrangler folks) which goes back on Monday (I guess those aren't TOO bad for company cars eh?).

Anyhow, we can now drive cars of any vintage, and my price range has landed me squarely in the 2005 Corvette range (coupes). I visited a couple of Chevy dealers today, and almost walked off the lot with a 2004 loaded coupe with 31k miles (crazy deal too!). But, looking at it next to the latest gen of Vettes (05-06), and noting the 50 HP difference, I stood my ground and decided to wait it out and look harder for a 05.

Since the 05 was a "new design" I researched it a bit on MSN.com for reliability issues and such and everything comes back peachy. I guess when they transitioned from 04-05 everything went well. Sorry, but I haven't kept up here since I sold the 94 Vette. My questions are:

1) everyone happy with their 05? Any "glitches" I should look out for? In my 94, the big glitches were the Bose radio speakers blowing out, the ride control not working and the AC having a total mind of its own. Oh yes, and then the cd players dying. All of those things cost me HUGE after the sale. Wish I had the knowledge beforehand to check those things, which is why I'm writing this! Looking to avoid that debacle this time....

2) Any manufacturer options that I should look to either try to find or ignore? I'll most likely be dealing with a private party. What things were cool as options back in 05? For sure I'm on the lookout for a glass roof, chrome wheels and......?

3) Any bang for the buck mods people are doing on 05's? I assume exhaust and air intake are still the way to go initially?

OK, thanks in advance for any input anyone can provide!

Regards, Joel
Old 10-23-2009, 10:52 PM
XCELER8
Le Mans Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine went to the shop 1 time in 29,000 miles for a harmonic balancer walking. The car has been flawless other than that in 2 years.

Last edited by XCELER8; 10-24-2009 at 08:32 AM.
Old 10-23-2009, 10:53 PM
VipersRnotVettes
Racer

check out this for good info, service bulletins etc.
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...tions-new.html
Old 10-23-2009, 10:57 PM
vettedoogie
Le Mans Master

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Test drive the Z51 (make sure they have replaced the original tires somewhat recently as they wear quickly) and the F55. They are both great options but personal preference is important here.

As with any Vette, get a complete service history from a GM dealer to see what warranty work has been performed. Make sure the column lock and Dead Battery Syndrome (DBS) TSBs have been performed.
Old 10-23-2009, 11:19 PM
Hoonose
Team Owner

Received 77 Likes on 66 Posts

Despite all my troubles, I still love my early '05 that has had about all the teething problems (and then some!). Try to get a warranty, I'd never get an '05 without one! Especially a manual.

Here's a list of my problems:

Early '05 Z51 MN6 VIN 4997
Just over 22,000 miles, daily driver.

Rocker panel and underside damage per dealer PDI right off the bat, fixed by dealer with my prodding! Earlier C6's tend to have more of this due to dealer inexperience. Check your rocker panels!

DBS X 3 or 4, but none in well over a year since getting the reflash at 2 years. Very little of this by '06.

Clutch 'sticking to the floor' problem several times at high RPM, fixed by me with 50 cent bracket to reduce clutch throw. No more problem in over 2 years. There is a TSB for early '05's on this:
http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/...ht+Engine+RPMs

Replaced squealing brake pads under warranty at 12 months. Also took care of excessive brake dust.

A/C freon removal fix at 12 months. Early '05 problem with too much freon from factory.

Repaired stuck outside rear hatch button ala Pipedreams DIY.

Paint chip damage to the front edge of both rear 1/4 panels due to poor door alignment fixed and painted.(at my expense) Home made rubber bumpers installed by me. No more chips. Now GM provides for their own bumpers. Check your rear 1/4 panels!

Did the fluid exchange for noisy rear end at 2 years. Seems to have worked, so far.

Replaced clutch slave fluid numerous times with significant and now
sustained improvement in clutch feel and smoothness.

Very loose rear sway bar bolts found when inspecting underside.
Also loose passenger side rear axle bolt.

Roof finally foamed at 3 years. No delamination. Roof had slightly mismatched original DSOM paint (not uncommon with DSOM), and repainted under warranty with much better match. But they forgot to foam the roof the first time I brought it in! So it had to go back! Also to fix the tire sensors which were somehow rendered inoperative! Of course also the battery was dead when I picked it up, despite leaving the reverse warning tag on the shifter! I had to bring it back X3 to fix the tire sensors! Roof also still creaks alot. maybe less than before.

Driver seat rocking fixed. Had that fixed twice with my C5.

Shifter had been rattling at mid RPMs especially when cold (<60 degrees) at 2 years. Dealer fixed that, and it seems fine now this cold season. They also replaced the console that they scratched the first time they tried to fix the shifter rattle!

Battery died for good May '07 and replaced.

This in 11/08:
The clutch spring broke, took it in and the bill was $488! The clutch master was bad (?) too. And replaced.

New roof top front handles to help with noise...
Installed 12/08, 4+ years and now finally no roof noise!
But they scratched the roof, and I had to bring it back in to be buffed out!

Extended warranty is already just about paid for already.

Right DRL went out! Twice now! And will go in soon to replace the wiring harness.

The car goes in soon to do the DEW fix for the crank pulley....
Then the extended warranty will definitely be paid for!

Repairs for the harmonic balancer and DRL wiring harnesses cost $845. Done 7/09.
Repairs for a vibrating and noisy A/C compressor $1246. 8/09
Now I'm into about 3X the extended warranty cost!

I still enjoy the car, but I would never recommend an '05 MN6 without an extended warranty.

Good luck with yours!
Old 10-23-2009, 11:32 PM
lh4x4
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a 05 Coupe with Z51 and M6. There is just over 17K on the odo. It did have the issue with the roof and was glued back on.

No other issues. No battery problem as I put in reverse religiously when parked. I do use a maintainer daily not just during long down periods.

It has the LT3 interior and gadgets. I like the HUD but I have never programed the seats and many other things that can be set. Lazy I guess.
Old 10-24-2009, 12:23 AM
unstressed
Burning Brakes

Received 26 Likes on 13 Posts

05 here and lovin it. No problems at all at 23K.
Old 10-24-2009, 12:36 AM
moolys
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '09

I have no issues with my O5 car is great
Old 10-24-2009, 12:44 AM
Dans C6
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

mine has been pretty good too so far 11,100 miles, besides service fuel system warning, and the service active handling message.
Old 10-24-2009, 12:53 AM
dbirdhouse1
Safety Car

Received 876 Likes on 588 Posts

I bought an '05 new and had four serious concerns which needed service:

a. DBS - Dead Battery Syndrome - my car sat for three weeks while
gone on vacation and when I went to start it, completely dead.
Replaced battery with Optima Yellow Top

b. Great difficulty shifting into first gear which progressively got
worse and worse. Finally had tranny pulled and partially rebuilt
(under warranty, 6 sp manual)

c. Creaking roof panel which was fixed by added shims

d. A bad leak in the driver's well (no pun intended) due to a windshield
which was not properly seated/sealed

I believe there is some truth to not buying a car in it's first model
year and this might be evidence.....finally traded it in on a very similar
'07 and have had no concerns since.....
Old 10-24-2009, 01:40 AM
shopdog
Race Director

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I have 73,000 miles on my early 2005. I had the usual new car issues with it. The harmonic dampener unscrewed (I pinned it so that can't happen again). The roof delaminated (permanently repaired it by mechanically trapping the skin to the frame with riveted stainless steel retainers). The fuel door warped and wouldn't stay closed (did my 5 cent repair on that). And now this past week the power seat has intermittently quit working (I'll fix that when I get a chance to pull the seat out and repair the harness). Otherwise it has just been gas, oil, and tires. It is my daily driver. Built like a Chevy, IE like a rock.
Old 10-24-2009, 06:20 AM
ssv3
Burning Brakes

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

I have an 05 m6 40k miles. Im the third owner and I put 11k miles on over the past year and it has been an awesome car, trouble free, knock on wood. It's an early production car vin 1829. Make sure to get GMVIS report and carfax. The 05s have a weak differential, the auto trannys are 4spd instead of 6 spd. My Vis report showed that they did the battery flash so no DBS issues whatsoever even when not driving the car for over three weeks at times. Roof issue was also fixed by dealer b4 I bought car. Crank pulley issues with some cars but its hit and miss IMO.This is all I can remember and other major issues have been discussed in previous posts.

Ps

I even passed on the GMPP when I got the car and Im glad I did it was way too expensive for way to little coverage.
Old 10-24-2009, 07:51 AM
Grzldvt1
Le Mans Master

Received 635 Likes on 341 Posts

I have an early 05 - Oct 04 delivery, that now has 35K miles,and it has been just great. I fall within the balancer issue, but no problems to date. I also fall into the delaminating top, and no issues,and did the recall drill of a reglued. I had the turn signal DRL harness issue, replaced with no issues.
I am very, very happy with this car. The minor issues have been easily solved. Every year has something to deal with, so don't let the naysayers bring you down. If the car you want is a good value go for it.
Old 10-24-2009, 08:11 AM
Tigers 84
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 7 Posts

Wow, thanks a LOT all! I remembered this forum as being helpful but wasn't expecting all these responses so quick. Awesome!!

I am probably going for an automatic, wifes only request, so many of those issues might alude me. I can't find anywhere though a 0-60 time of a 2005 automatic. Maybe 4.5-4.7 range???

Finally.....
Some of the terminology you guys used is beyond me at this point. What would a "balancer issue" a "DRL harness issue" or a "delaminating top" look like to a layman when I'm checking out a 2005? And I take it all the battery issues would not apply to an automatic perhaps?

THANKS!!
Old 10-24-2009, 08:17 AM
BigButtLover
Safety Car

Received 489 Likes on 228 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

'05 convertible is great and I haven't had one problem.
Old 10-24-2009, 08:23 AM
corvettecarl
Advanced

Default Buyer beware

Make sure you check the carfax and the service history. One note of caution mine went in for the loose crank pulley and the roof recall but they never showed up on the service history. The 2005's are noted for electrical issues. I had multiple occasions of the car not starting due to a short in the harness to the XM antennae. Overall it spent more time at the dealer than at home due to the crank pully, the tranny ate the 2nd gear synchro, every time I had the no-start problem it burned up the radio and did something to the drivers door airbag. I would avoid a 2005 like the plague unless you know the car and trust the owner.
Old 10-24-2009, 08:29 AM
Jim Nebraska
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought my '05 used two years ago. On the carfax, I found they had already addressed the lamination issue with the roof. I may have been a bit naive, and also somewhat lucky, because I just haven't had any other issues. I did just replae the OEM battery. And I also have the crank pulley checked frequently. All that being said, if I was in your spot, I'd probably lean toward on '06....avoid some of the '05's build issues and get yourself a smaller steeriing wheel as well.

Get notified of new replies

To 2005 Vette owners....you like it? Issues?

Old 10-24-2009, 08:31 AM
XCELER8
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Tigers 84
Wow, thanks a LOT all! I remembered this forum as being helpful but wasn't expecting all these responses so quick. Awesome!!

I am probably going for an automatic, wifes only request, so many of those issues might alude me. I can't find anywhere though a 0-60 time of a 2005 automatic. Maybe 4.5-4.7 range???

Finally.....
Some of the terminology you guys used is beyond me at this point. What would a "balancer issue" a "DRL harness issue" or a "delaminating top" look like to a layman when I'm checking out a 2005? And I take it all the battery issues would not apply to an automatic perhaps?

THANKS!!
0-60 not sure of the time but can say the A4 feels stronger than A6 because of how it is setup you just have to find that sweet spot.

DRL- Daylight running lights (harness is known to melt)
Harmonic Balancer comes out some which causes a belt squeak. This is the only thing that happened to my car. My extended warranty covered 90% of the bill.
Old 10-24-2009, 08:36 AM
hansesm
Racer

Default Love it

No issues other than the power top had to be fixed at 25,000 miles. Great car with intake and exhaust mod.
Old 10-24-2009, 09:25 AM
mkakias
Intermediate
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by hansesm
No issues other than the power top had to be fixed at 25,000 miles. Great car with intake and exhaust mod.
Just got my 05 z51 and love it!!

Quick Reply: 2005 Vette owners....you like it? Issues?