C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C6 Comprehensive Fob Programming Instructions

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2014, 12:29 PM
BROCKYJACK
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by rappini
My whirl didn't whirl, nothing happened after I did the 5 twists with the fob key( does it make a difference which key u use) the DIC didn't light at all and I tried a couple of times. After failing I just took my fob and put in the slot and the car started but I don't think that proved anything because the fob is in the car. Should I increase my Ginko Biloba?
I just finished doing the long program this morning....successfully. Initially the five key turns did not work but I read to keep trying as it was 5 'good' turns as opposed to just five turns. it worked on the third attempt. Just my experience.
Old 04-04-2014, 12:45 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 435 Likes on 372 Posts

Originally Posted by rappini
My whirl didn't whirl, nothing happened after I did the 5 twists with the fob key( does it make a difference which key u use) the DIC didn't light at all and I tried a couple of times. After failing I just took my fob and put in the slot and the car started but I don't think that proved anything because the fob is in the car. Should I increase my Ginko Biloba?
Another test of the slot is to put a good fob in the slot with no battery in it. Many but not all C6s will recognize a fob with no battery. This would prove that the fob is being recognized by the slot itself and not just the car as normal. I have tried putting just the one half of my fobs in the slot, without the half that contains the battery and the car sees them fine. It is not definitive in a negative way though because not all C6s will see a fob in the slot without its' battery, even though everything is working fine. So if it works, it proves the positive but if it doesn't work, it does not prove the negative. Read through the entire thread (I know it's long) and try the many tips people have given from their experience. Getting the car into the program mode is certainly the most common problem with the system.
Old 04-04-2014, 02:40 PM
rappini
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Default Fob

I will keep on keepin on.

Originally Posted by BROCKYJACK
I just finished doing the long program this morning....successfully. Initially the five key turns did not work but I read to keep trying as it was 5 'good' turns as opposed to just five turns. it worked on the third attempt. Just my experience.
Old 04-04-2014, 03:04 PM
rappini
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Default FOB Slot check

I worked as described. My issue was that my C-6 has been sitting for a while so after I started it and shut it back down everything fell into place. Oh, I and also discovered that the guy I purchased the car from owes me another FOB I have one and three. Thanks again CFer's.

Originally Posted by cclive
Another test of the slot is to put a good fob in the slot with no battery in it. Many but not all C6s will recognize a fob with no battery. This would prove that the fob is being recognized by the slot itself and not just the car as normal. I have tried putting just the one half of my fobs in the slot, without the half that contains the battery and the car sees them fine. It is not definitive in a negative way though because not all C6s will see a fob in the slot without its' battery, even though everything is working fine. So if it works, it proves the positive but if it doesn't work, it does not prove the negative. Read through the entire thread (I know it's long) and try the many tips people have given from their experience. Getting the car into the program mode is certainly the most common problem with the system.
Old 04-16-2014, 09:00 PM
winger1
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks for the info, not sure if I want to attempt this may take back to dealer, just to make sure it is done right thanks again winger1
Old 04-21-2014, 05:57 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Originally Posted by winger1
thanks for the info, not sure if I want to attempt this may take back to dealer, just to make sure it is done right thanks again winger1
I'm not aware of a situation here where the procedure was properly followed, including most importantly the testing of the glovebox slot, that resulted in the bricking of the car. I may be wrong, it may have happened, but I'm not aware of any instances of it.
Old 05-20-2014, 04:47 PM
OrionRain
Navigator

Yeah, I tried a zillion times without success, but then it clicked in and voila, works great. Thanks for the pointer RicK T. And thanks you very much for the guidance CClive. Great job!
Old 06-11-2014, 03:50 PM
ddsn85
Intermediate

The long procedure worked perfect the first time for my '08.

I had lost my #2 FOB several years ago. Then recently my #1 FOB went through the washer. I tried to get it to work but I couldn't open either door. I had to manually open through trunk.

I tried my old FOB in the glove box slot and the car started, but still wouldn't recognize FOB when it was removed. I tried changing the battery and still no luck.

I was resigned to have the car transported to the dealer, but then I found this thread. I then purchased 2 new FOBs with blank keys and viola, I now have two functioning FOBs. Thanks to everyone who has contributed to this thread.

Brad
Old 06-13-2014, 11:22 AM
needhamboy
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Default need new FOB

I'm the guy who has only one FOB with my new 2009 C6. Seller had only one. Thank for help!
Old 06-17-2014, 12:59 AM
JPSlick
Advanced

After a good 2 hrs, maybe more I finally got this to work.

I have 2006 c6 z06. While trying to program the new key fob (08 style) I simply could not the get DIC to initialize.

After reading all the tricks and tips I was about to give up.

I tried everything...

-doors open/closed
-glove open/closed
-key fob in cup holder/center console/in glove compartment
-tried running to the back of the car as quickly as possible
-opened rear carpet and pulled trunk cable manually.

You name it, I was about to start rubbing the top of my head and hopping on one foot if that was the next tip that may have worked.

I read a few guys here saying try reverse.

We'll I tried that initially and it didn't work.

I guess I wasn't in reverse far enough though.

So here is what worked from start to finish.

- mechanical key ready in trunk slot
-Trunk open fully
-open door
-key fob cup holder
-vehicle to on (no engine)
-e brake down
-reverse gear (be sure you are fully in reverse I depressed clutch and made sure the vehicle was securely in reverse).
- e brake back up
- car off (bottom left of start button)
- ran to trunk and turned 5 full times

Some of these steps may not have been important but try them anyway, the most important is being in reverse fully.

I hope this helps someone and thanks again for all the tips in here I was literally going to throw in the towel if that last procedure didn't work this one last time
Old 06-17-2014, 09:00 AM
Arkay
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by JPSlick

So here is what worked from start to finish.

- mechanical key ready in trunk slot
-Trunk open fully
-open door
-key fob cup holder
-vehicle to on (no engine)
-e brake down
-reverse gear (be sure you are fully in reverse I depressed clutch and made sure the vehicle was securely in reverse).
- e brake back up
- car off (bottom left of start button)
- ran to trunk and turned 5 full times

Some of these steps may not have been important but try them anyway, the most important is being in reverse fully.

I hope this helps someone and thanks again for all the tips in here I was literally going to throw in the towel if that last procedure didn't work this one last time
I wonder if a auto trans has to be in R or P? (Probably a NA) because the car cannot roll in P and that is the purpose of having the manual in R with the engine OFF.

Last edited by Arkay; 06-17-2014 at 11:34 AM.
Old 06-17-2014, 12:24 PM
JPSlick
Advanced

Originally Posted by Arkay
I wonder if a auto trans has to be in R or P? (Probably a NA) because the car cannot roll in P and that is the purpose of having the manual in R with the engine OFF.
It probably doesn't matter for auto guys.

I think this is an early model 05-09 manual or z06 issue but at any rate if someone is having trouble it's worth a shot, just don't forget the parking brake!
Old 07-03-2014, 04:46 PM
bdeis61159
Heel & Toe

Default Neither FOB working

The instructions seem simple enough but my problem is both the original FOBS #1 and #2 will not remotely start the car. The only way I can start the car is to open the glove box and place either one in the FOB slot. I took the FOB's to the dealer and they tested them on their receiving unit. Neither one could send a signal even with a new battery.

My question is "What is my starting point in this situation".

Thanks.
Old 07-03-2014, 05:36 PM
Nomomoney
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by NavyAirTraffic
Went to the dealer today, took them 15 minutes and cost me $25.

Honestly, no I didn't read all 17 pages. I tried probably 5 or so methods 3-5 times each. It's 100+ degrees everyday where I live and I would be drenched with sweat each time I tried a new method. I just reached my boiling point (pun intended). If I knew it was going to be that easy/cheap, I would've went to the dealer first.
Wow, $25.00, that's a great dealer price.

Like, you I read a good majority of this post, with nothing but no luck and a lot of frustration.

I took my car and FOB's to the dealer. They got them both programmed for $55.00. Yup, $55.00....But at least, they're both working.

Thank you everyone for such a comprehensive post......
Old 07-03-2014, 05:39 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Originally Posted by bdeis61159
The instructions seem simple enough but my problem is both the original FOBS #1 and #2 will not remotely start the car. The only way I can start the car is to open the glove box and place either one in the FOB slot. I took the FOB's to the dealer and they tested them on their receiving unit. Neither one could send a signal even with a new battery.

My question is "What is my starting point in this situation".

Thanks.
First diagnostic question is "does the car respond to any of the buttons on the fobs?"...trunk open..panic button etc...

If not, then it is likely the fob batteries. I would put absolutely no stock in the dealers "receiving unit". If the car does respond to the buttons but does not start with a fob in the car (and it's both fobs), then I would start investigating interference from chargers, cellphones or any other accessories. While it is possible, it is highly unlikely that both of your fobs have gone bad. They are extremely simple solid state devices with not much to go wrong. The biggest problem that people have with fobs not working is batteries...either dead or not replaced correctly. Unless both of your fobs have been washed, I wouldn't believe that both have gone bad. Many that have been washed have continued to work fine anyway.
Old 08-22-2014, 12:00 AM
Corvette505
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 25 Posts

No mention of the key.....does the key stay in the trunk slot after the five turns or can you pull it out? I get all the way to the end where it says Ready For Fob 1, put in the Fob into the glove slot and than NOTHING! So frustrated, spent four hours trying to get this long procedure done.
Old 08-22-2014, 11:43 AM
Corvette505
Burning Brakes

Was thinking of having it towed to the dealer and having them program it now, but how do i get it towed if the wheel is locked and it's stuck in park due to not being able to "put the key in the ignition" so to speak?

Get notified of new replies

To C6 Comprehensive Fob Programming Instructions

Old 08-22-2014, 01:28 PM
Corvette505
Burning Brakes

In none of the threads does it mention anything about when programming the FOB to have the top pointed in. My assumption was the bottom went in first since it looks like it can be programmed via the connection inside the bottom when the key blade is pulled out, however that is not the case. Put it in with bottom pointing out and buttons to the right and it worked the first time. Can't believe that isn't in any of the programing instructions. Read umpteen messages trying to figure out what I was doing wrong and none had this clue. WOW....thanks Fort Morgan!
Old 09-16-2014, 03:54 PM
LTVN68
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Default Amen to this!!!!! End where key goes in points out of slot!

Originally Posted by Corvette505
In none of the threads does it mention anything about when programming the FOB to have the top pointed in. My assumption was the bottom went in first since it looks like it can be programmed via the connection inside the bottom when the key blade is pulled out, however that is not the case. Put it in with bottom pointing out and buttons to the right and it worked the first time. Can't believe that isn't in any of the programing instructions. Read umpteen messages trying to figure out what I was doing wrong and none had this clue. WOW....thanks Fort Morgan!
How stupid I feel. Lost FOB 2. Bought new OEM FOB. Followed all instructions. Would not program. ( 2011 Z ). Went to town spent one hour trying to find a new cr2032 battery figuring FOB must have dead battery. Called original dealer Saturday and again twice this AM. No one ever bothered to mention or confirm that the end of the FOB that the key goes into must be pointed out. The solid black plastic end with the number on it goes in. All that was said was point the buttons toward the passenger side. I tried again and pointed the key end out and WOW! It programmed immediately! I only wasted about 10 hours! If you are programming a FOB.......make sure the end of the FOB that the key goes into is pointed out ( towards the rear of the car ) and the buttons are toward the passenger side when you slide the FOB into the slot.
THANK YOU, Corvette 505!!!!
PS: found FOB 2 so now have 3. In the end, all is OK as it is good to have a backup.
Old 09-16-2014, 04:53 PM
cclive
Team Owner

I guess that when I wrote the instructions, it never occurred to me that the fob could be put in backwards because I figured most people have other keys attached to the end with the ring on it, so it wouldn't go in the slot that way. I'll add a note to the instructions to that effect...hopefully saving some people some time...LOL

Quick Reply: C6 Comprehensive Fob Programming Instructions