C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C6 Comprehensive Fob Programming Instructions

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2013, 08:30 PM
eboggs_jkvl
Moderator/Tech Contributor

Location: Jacksonville Florida BWO Dayton, Cincinnati, Bloomsbury NJ, Cincinnati
Received 3,837 Likes on 2,075 Posts
2015 C7 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by The_Tibulator
Did the long version today since I added a new style fob I got from gmparthouse. Only issue I had was it would not show up on the dic until I RAN back to turn the key. Then I had the fob too close I guess so I ended up turning on, then off jumping out of car and throwing my keys across the yard and running to the back to twist the key. The neighbors must've thought I was insane. Lol. But got it all done.
Ok, that got a good giggle from Jacksonville!

I guess I need to add a step in my instructions about "throwing key FOB into yard", is there a minimum distance I should note for the toss and should it be overhand or underhand?

Elmer

Last edited by eboggs_jkvl; 03-21-2013 at 08:36 PM.
Old 04-16-2013, 08:27 PM
vidocdevil
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks cclive. I had to turn the switch about 9 times for the DIC to respond but it worked
Old 04-16-2013, 09:51 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 435 Likes on 372 Posts

Originally Posted by vidocdevil
Thanks cclive. I had to turn the switch about 9 times for the DIC to respond but it worked
I think sometimes the switch contacts are dirty from not being used and need a few turns to clean them before they start working. Glad to hear it.
Old 04-22-2013, 10:12 PM
FIREMANMIKE
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old 05-09-2013, 10:13 PM
FastBlackSS
Cruising

Had an issue of not being able to get my car into the "programming mode"

Followed this and it worked on the first try

1) Put metal key in key cylinder back by license plate. Dont turn it yet, just leave it in there for now.
2) Put old, already-programmed-and-working fob in center console cupholder
3) Turn car 'on' using start button (you dont have to start it -- doesnt matter), then press start button again to turn car OFF.
4) Immediately run (yes, RUN) to the back of the car and turn the key five times. If you physically cant get back there very fast, have a helper ready to turn the key five times when you turn car off. This should trigger the "FOB" message on DIC.
5) Carry out the rest of the fob learning procedure as normal.

This is the ONLY way my car will go into "fob learn mode". If I wait even 5-7 seconds between steps 3 and 4, my car will never go into fob learn mode, no matter how hard or fast I turn the key.

I had a key in the key hole ready to turn, turned the key off and ran back and turned it 5 times and it worked perfectly and said ready for Fob 3.

Hope this helps someone!
Old 06-09-2013, 05:54 PM
PJZVET
6th Gear

Originally Posted by fred_S
OK here's what Kent 1999 did to program his FOB, the instructions come from the link above.

1) Put metal key in key cylinder back by license plate. Dont turn it yet, just leave it in there for now.
2) Put old, already-programmed-and-working fob in center console cupholder
3) Turn car 'on' using start button (you dont have to start it -- doesnt matter), then press start button again to turn car OFF.
4) Immediately run (yes, RUN) to the back of the car and turn the key five times. If you physically cant get back there very fast, have a helper ready to turn the key five times when you turn car off. This should trigger the "FOB" message on DIC.
5) Carry out the rest of the fob learning procedure as normal.

This is the ONLY way my car will go into "fob learn mode". If I wait even 5-7 seconds between steps 3 and 4, my car will never go into fob learn mode, no matter how hard or fast I turn the key.

That's a new way to programming, I haven't tried this. It's to late to go and try this now, I will get in trouble with the boss (lol). I will try this tomorrow though, thanks and wish me luck. I will let all of you know if this works for me.

Round 3

Fred
This is the only method that would work for me. I actually started my Vet and had my wife standing by on the key. As soon as I shut it down she gave it 5 real quick turns. Thanks Kent!!
Old 06-11-2013, 05:50 PM
68/70Vette
Team Owner

Received 552 Likes on 378 Posts

Originally Posted by eboggs_jkvl
About Step 15. Step 15 reads:

Remove FOB Push OFF?ACC

[COLOR="Red"]Important: Failure to press unlock will result in FOB being inoperatvie. Unlock finishes the programming....COLOR]

I'm going to be doing 2 FOBS in the long procedure. So I Inser FOB 1 when instructed by the DIC, when it says Insert FOB2, I remove FOB1 and insert FOB2, and when it says Insert FOB3 (which I'm not going to do, I remove FOB2, hit OFF/ACC and then press unlock on both FOBS or do I press unlock of each FOB after removing it from the glove box slot, then press unlock on each and then press OFF/ACC? after pressing the unlock on the FOB???

Also, when finishing the long procedure, I (hopefully) end up with two programmed FOBs side by side. Guess this is no problem?.

Thanks
Thanks

Last edited by 68/70Vette; 06-11-2013 at 05:55 PM.
Old 06-11-2013, 06:15 PM
eboggs_jkvl

Location: Jacksonville Florida BWO Dayton, Cincinnati, Bloomsbury NJ, Cincinnati

Originally Posted by 68/70Vette
About Step 15. Step 15 reads:

Remove FOB Push OFF?ACC

[COLOR="Red"]Important: Failure to press unlock will result in FOB being inoperatvie. Unlock finishes the programming....COLOR]

I'm going to be doing 2 FOBS in the long procedure. So I Inser FOB 1 when instructed by the DIC, when it says Insert FOB2, I remove FOB1 and insert FOB2, and when it says Insert FOB3 (which I'm not going to do, I remove FOB2, hit OFF/ACC and then press unlock on both FOBS or do I press unlock of each FOB after removing it from the glove box slot, then press unlock on each and then press OFF/ACC? after pressing the unlock on the FOB???

Also, when finishing the long procedure, I (hopefully) end up with two programmed FOBs side by side. Guess this is no problem?.

Thanks
Thanks

Push the button after you take it out of the slot and then do the next one.

Elmer
Old 06-11-2013, 09:34 PM
68/70Vette
Team Owner

Originally Posted by eboggs_jkvl
Push the button after you take it out of the slot and then do the next one.

Elmer
Thanks

Life wasn't meant to be easy! My dad's name was Elmer.
Old 06-11-2013, 10:14 PM
eboggs_jkvl

Originally Posted by 68/70Vette
Thanks

Life wasn't meant to be easy! My dad's name was Elmer.
Strange.... So was mine.
Old 06-12-2013, 12:04 PM
cclive
Team Owner

You two may be long lost brothers....
Old 07-05-2013, 09:24 PM
68/70Vette
Team Owner

I diligently read all the programming threads.

My experience didn't seem to match very much of what I read. But I did get the key programmed thanks to what I read here.

I've lost both original FOBs. I did have an unprogrammed FOB.

(1) I opened the rear hatch using the metal key from my unprogrammed FOB.. Luckily, I had the key cut before loosing the last original FOB. I then opened the driver's door...it sat off the alarm system which stopped honking after not too long of a time. I used this opportunity to attach a battery charger, since this was recommended because programming with no programmed fob was going to take 1/2 hour.

(2) I placed my unprogrammed fob in the glove box slot and hit the car start button...It did nothing except to say no fob detected. After hitting the start button and reading the message, it hit the off button.

(3) I cycled the key in the above license plate keyhole many times...nothing. Then after many attempts, I removed the rear interior panel that covers the door hatch locking mechanism, (easy) and removed the connector (easy). I took a paper clip and shorted the grey wire terminal to the black terminal many many times...more that five times in five seconds.............nothing that I could tell had happened.

(4) Disappointed, I went back to the driver's compartment...and !!!!! the DIC said insert FOB #4!!! I pulled the FOB out of the glove compartment slot, at first thinking I had failed, but wait...that insert FOB#4 message indicated that something may have worked..I then pushed the FOB "unlock" button. I knew this was the last step of programming a FOB, regardless of what technique you used.

(5) Feeling surprised and still thinking I had failed, I nevertheless pressed the start button...and the ENGINE STARTED.

(6) Surprised I didn't have to experience the three ten minute sequences to reprogram a FOB, when a programmed FOB is not available. I think I've accurately described what appears to be an unorthodox sequence of successfully reprogramming a FOB. I will have to admit that my FOB programming activity involved time multiplexing in which I was also involved in metabolizing quite a few Chardonnay alcohol molecules. But anyhow bottom line I got her done. Would have been helpless with out CF!!

Last edited by 68/70Vette; 07-05-2013 at 09:29 PM.
Old 08-25-2013, 07:14 PM
rtibbit
Instructor

Originally Posted by PJZVET
This is the only method that would work for me. I actually started my Vet and had my wife standing by on the key. As soon as I shut it down she gave it 5 real quick turns. Thanks Kent!!
I had trouble getting the system to enter the programming mode until I tried turning the key to the stop, then releasing it just slightly before quickly turning it to the stop for the next four key turns. If I allowed the key to spring fully back for each turn the key turns each took too long, I think. By doing this I was able to turn the key five times within five seconds.

I didn't have the problem of having to run back to turn the key after turning the car off. In fact, the car was off more than a few minutes when I finally figured out how to make five key turns within five seconds.

YMMV....

Wayne
Old 08-30-2013, 07:32 PM
NavyAirTraffic
Racer

Originally Posted by The_Tibulator
Did the long version today since I added a new style fob I got from gmparthouse. Only issue I had was it would not show up on the dic until I RAN back to turn the key. Then I had the fob too close I guess so I ended up turning on, then off jumping out of car and throwing my keys across the yard and running to the back to twist the key. The neighbors must've thought I was insane. Lol. But got it all done.
^^^^HILARIOUS^^^^

I have tried all of the secondary methods on this website and on google (including removing the lining and doing it manually) and the thing still won't go into programming mode!!!

Unless someone has any other insight, I am reluctantly off to the dealer.
Old 08-31-2013, 12:29 PM
cclive
Team Owner

If you have read all 17 pages of this thread and tried all the tips and tricks within it, then unfortunately I see no alternative to going to the dealer. Remember that there are two courses a dealer can take in fixing the car. He can actually repair the system so that programming works as it should or he can force program your fobs using the TECH II computer, which will leave your fobs working, but the car still unable to go into the programming mode as it should.
Old 09-06-2013, 12:58 AM
NavyAirTraffic
Racer

Originally Posted by cclive
If you have read all 17 pages of this thread and tried all the tips and tricks within it, then unfortunately I see no alternative to going to the dealer. Remember that there are two courses a dealer can take in fixing the car. He can actually repair the system so that programming works as it should or he can force program your fobs using the TECH II computer, which will leave your fobs working, but the car still unable to go into the programming mode as it should.
Went to the dealer today, took them 15 minutes and cost me $25.

Honestly, no I didn't read all 17 pages. I tried probably 5 or so methods 3-5 times each. It's 100+ degrees everyday where I live and I would be drenched with sweat each time I tried a new method. I just reached my boiling point (pun intended). If I knew it was going to be that easy/cheap, I would've went to the dealer first.
Old 09-19-2013, 05:37 PM
Arkay
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by cclive
I

C6 Fob Programming Instructions

Before starting, it is important to make sure that the glovebox slot is working properly. If it is not, and the long procedure is started, then the car will be stripped of its fob programming, but will then not be able to accept new fob programming through the slot. This will leave the car unable to be started. Since most C6 owners have never tested the slot, or had to use it to start the car with a dead fob, they would be unaware if it had never been working properly since the car was new. To make sure that the glovebox slot is working, follow steps 1-6 below. Then in step 7, you may either insert the new, unprogrammed fob into the slot and continue to step 8, or you may insert one of the fobs that is currently programmed to the car into the slot. If the slot is presented with a fob that is ALREADY programmed to the car, the DIC will say “Known Fob”. This shows us that the slot is working correctly by recognizing this fob. Push the bottom half of the start button to end the session if you were just testing the slot for proper operation.

C6 Fob, Short Procedure….use these instructions 1-10 when you have a working fob and just want to add another to the system, or to test the operation of the glovebox slot.

1. Put drivers window down all the way, then turn car off
2. Unlock car and open trunk
3. Glove box open
4. Put working fob on console next to shifter (the one you are currently using to drive the car) IMPORTANT. Also make sure no cellphones are in the car.
5. Put key in trunk keyhole and turn key five times in less than 5 seconds.
6. DIC will now beep and light up and say “Ready for fob 3”.
7. Put new unprogrammed fob in slot by glovebox with buttons facing right (passenger) side.
8. Wait and watch DIC. When it says “Ready for fob 4” it is done. Up to four Fobs may be programmed to the car total.
9. When all Fobs are programmed, push OFF/ACC (bottom half of start button) to turn off DIC.
10. Test all four buttons on fob and then take away all other fobs and check car starting with new fob(s).

:

Chris,

Thanks for the posting. I just obtained a new (to me) 2008 that came with only one (old style) key FOB with a #1 printed on the back. The selling dealer order end gave another FOB #2 that works great. All of a sudden the FOB #1 could not be detected and would not start the car from the glove box slot. I changed the battery and now FOB #1 unlocks and starts the car from my pocket but WILL NOT start the car from the slot in the glove box. FOB #2 starts the car and also starts the car from the slot in the glove box

I fear that if I use your short procedure it may change FOB 1 to FOB 3. Is there anyway to reprogram FOB 1 only.

The only issue with FOB 1 is it will not start the car from the slot.

Get notified of new replies

To C6 Comprehensive Fob Programming Instructions

Old 09-19-2013, 07:38 PM
cclive
Team Owner

That's very strange and I have no explanation. The short procedure cannot make #1 into #3 because the system will recognize #1 and say "KNOWN FOB"...and leave it as is. If you want to try re-programming, your only choice is the long procedure. Test the slot first...as is explained in the instructions.
Old 09-20-2013, 08:39 PM
Arkay
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Arkay
Chris,

Thanks for the posting. I just obtained a new (to me) 2008 that came with only one (old style) key FOB with a #1 printed on the back. The selling dealer order end gave another FOB #2 that works great. All of a sudden the FOB #1 could not be detected and would not start the car from the glove box slot. I changed the battery and now FOB #1 unlocks and starts the car from my pocket but WILL NOT start the car from the slot in the glove box. FOB #2 starts the car and also starts the car from the slot in the glove box

I fear that if I use your short procedure it may change FOB 1 to FOB 3. Is there anyway to reprogram FOB 1 only.

This is an update on how the problem was resolved. I carried the car back to the dealership and it was strange to them too that FOB #1 would start the car from my pocket but would not start the car from the glove box slot. Normal programming as describe in the manual in this forum would not work. They had to use the Tech II tool set to reprogram FOB #1. It was not easy but they got it done.

I learned something today that FOB 1 and 2 are masters and control settings that cannot be done with add on FOB's #3 and #4. If you lose FOB #1, the replacement will have to be done by the dealership or someone with a Tech II. I am not sure what is 'blessed' about FOB #1 but it is the master.

Mine is now working normal-normal
Old 09-20-2013, 08:46 PM
Arkay
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Arkay
Chris,

Thanks for the posting. I just obtained a new (to me) 2008 that came with only one (old style) key FOB with a #1 printed on the back. The selling dealer ordered and gave another FOB #2 that works great. All of a sudden the FOB #1 could not be detected and would not start the car from the glove box slot. I changed the battery and now FOB #1 unlocks and starts the car from my pocket but WILL NOT start the car from the slot in the glove box. FOB #2 starts the car and also starts the car from the slot in the glove box

This is an update on how the problem was resolved. I carried the car back to the dealership and it was strange to them too that FOB #1 would start the car from my pocket but would not start the car from the glove box slot. Normal programming as describe in the manual in this forum would not work. They had to use the Tech II tool set to reprogram FOB #1. It was not easy but they got it done.

I learned today that FOB #1 and #2 are masters and control settings that cannot be done with add on FOB's #3 and #4. If you lose FOB #1, the replacement will have to be done by the dealership or someone with a Tech II. I am not sure what is 'blessed' about FOB #1 but it is the master.

Mine is now working normal-normal

Quick Reply: C6 Comprehensive Fob Programming Instructions