C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rented '08

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2009, 02:51 PM
BlackbirdZ07
Safety Car

Received 199 Likes on 128 Posts

Default Rented '08

I've been thinking of upgrading my '92 daily driver to a C6, and during a recent vacation I took the opportunity to rent an '08 for three days from Hertz. I figured that would be a much better way to really experience what it's like to live with the car than a 15 minute test drive with a salesman sitting in the right seat.

I have to say I'm not terribly impressed with the C6 as compared to the C4 and a C5 Z06 I test drove a week ago. Okay, before I'm subjected to scorn and ridicule, hear me out.

The C6 drives better, hands down. I went for a 100+ mile drive in the mountains and the C6 has a stiffer chasis, more power, and better brakes. It was a lot of fun on the curvy roads and felt very capable. But in daily driving around town, there isn't a lot of difference. The C4 isn't a horrible driving car.

The C6's interior isn't much better than the C4's. The dash and radio buttons actually felt cheaper than the C4's. The materials look better on the C6, but they're really not. I think the materials and finishing of my dad's new Dodge truck are as nice or nicer. An audible vibration caused by the driver door panel was annoying. Fairly comfortable seats, but the C4 seats are very comfortable too.

Rear quarter visibility in the C4 is much better. You can actually see everything. In the C6, I felt like I had to use the mirrors and then pray there was no one there. I think the blind spot could hide a motorcycle.

Other that those issues, it was a nice car. But it's also a LOT more money than a C4 right now. Just have to decide whether it's worth it. So flame away... what am I missing about the C6?
Old 10-16-2009, 03:01 PM
obxchartercaptain
Safety Car

Received 308 Likes on 198 Posts
FL Events Coordinator

Originally Posted by BlackbirdZ07
I've been thinking of upgrading my '92 daily driver to a C6, and during a recent vacation I took the opportunity to rent an '08 for three days from Hertz. I figured that would be a much better way to really experience what it's like to live with the car than a 15 minute test drive with a salesman sitting in the right seat.

I have to say I'm not terribly impressed with the C6 as compared to the C4 and a C5 Z06 I test drove a week ago. Okay, before I'm subjected to scorn and ridicule, hear me out.

The C6 drives better, hands down. I went for a 100+ mile drive in the mountains and the C6 has a stiffer chasis, more power, and better brakes. It was a lot of fun on the curvy roads and felt very capable. But in daily driving around town, there isn't a lot of difference. The C4 isn't a horrible driving car.

The C6's interior isn't much better than the C4's. The dash and radio buttons actually felt cheaper than the C4's. The materials look better on the C6, but they're really not. I think the materials and finishing of my dad's new Dodge truck are as nice or nicer. An audible vibration caused by the driver door panel was annoying. Fairly comfortable seats, but the C4 seats are very comfortable too.

Rear quarter visibility in the C4 is much better. You can actually see everything. In the C6, I felt like I had to use the mirrors and then pray there was no one there. I think the blind spot could hide a motorcycle.

Other that those issues, it was a nice car. But it's also a LOT more money than a C4 right now. Just have to decide whether it's worth it. So flame away... what am I missing about the C6?
No flames You answered your own question. Keep your C4.
Old 10-16-2009, 03:09 PM
yellowvert
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by obxchartercaptain

If you were looking for a huge change, its not there....at least not between C5 and C6. Personally I think the difference between C4 and C6 is huge. But if you don't see it, don't waste the money.

But do me a favor....give me a head's up if you're driving through North Texas....I'd like to stay off the road that day...

(couldn't resist!)
Old 10-16-2009, 03:51 PM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,929 Likes on 4,810 Posts

Originally Posted by obxchartercaptain
Old 10-16-2009, 04:01 PM
brimee
Burning Brakes

Received 83 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by yellowvert

But do me a favor....give me a head's up if you're driving through North Texas....I'd like to stay off the road that day...

(couldn't resist!)

I was thinking the same thing. I would never pray no one was there, I would make sure no one is there. If you adjust the mirrors correctly you should have nearly no blind spots. I have a vert with a small rear window and I can safely change lanes with little praying.

I came from a 1990 and I thought there was a huge difference. My 90 coupe with the top off creeked and moaned with every bump, this vert has very little of that. Getting in and out of this car is way easier. Way more power!
Old 10-16-2009, 04:05 PM
Dark Overlord
Burning Brakes

lol at the interior

Old 10-16-2009, 04:09 PM
Smitter
Pro

Your choice, if you are not looking for better chassis, more power and better handling keep the C4.
Old 10-16-2009, 04:10 PM
CodyC6
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dark Overlord
lol at the interior

Isn't that the car The "Hoff" drove in that tv series with the psyclops light?

Last edited by CodyC6; 10-16-2009 at 04:12 PM.
Old 10-16-2009, 04:50 PM
mcandrew67
Race Director

Received 1,013 Likes on 599 Posts
2016 Corvette of Year
2015 C6 of Year Finalist

I've had a C4, C5 and now an 06 C6. If you think there is little to no difference then maybe you should check your pulse.
Old 10-16-2009, 05:39 PM
BlackbirdZ07
Safety Car

Received 199 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by mcandrew67
I've had a C4, C5 and now an 06 C6. If you think there is little to no difference then maybe you should check your pulse.
I guess I didn't make the point clearly. Yes, there's a huge difference in the way the cars drive, but you have to push the car to feel that difference. I didn't notice the difference very much in normal everyday driving. The exception was the rigidity of the chasis; the C6 felt stiffer. As for visibility, I'm sure I'd get used to it but there's a reason they build fighter jets with bubble canopies.

The C6 is a great car and I'll probably end up buying one- my point was only that as a daily driver, the difference in the cars doesn't seem as great as the difference in cost.
Old 10-16-2009, 05:48 PM
dpigguy
Safety Car

Received 147 Likes on 114 Posts

the only real difference that is important on this is the one you have since you are the one driving. I suspect you are right in that at city street speed, there is not much difference between the C4 and just about any other car in the same class. Kicker is to stay out of the city and log your miles in the country. Clearly a difference there! That and the fact that the C4 seems to be the subject of many more jokes
Old 10-16-2009, 06:07 PM
blacktop373737
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I bought an 08 AO with 4LT seinna leather package, vert. I have no opinion of the C4. It was the best of its time. I have not seen anything even close IMO to the look of my car.The look and quality of the interior is very important to me. BUT you should never spend that kind of money if the newer models are not a passion for you.
Old 10-16-2009, 06:10 PM
jpee
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackbirdZ07

you have to push the car to feel that difference.

I didn't notice the difference very much in normal everyday driving. The exception was the rigidity of the chasis; the C6 felt stiffer.
Well ya know what... I drove my neighbors Hyundai, and it don't "FEEL" much different than my Vette if I'm driving 25 mph around town....

I "Think" you will "FEEL" more of a difference if you try DRIVING IT as opposed to just put putting around the local supermarket!

At 25 mph my wifes Audi feels like a Rolls if the road is glass smooth...and it (the Audi) also feels like my neighbors ZR1 if both are going 25-30 mph!

You should compare the C4 (I also had one) with the C6 if you are doing more than going to the supermarket... or if you ONLY plan on using it for that stay with the C4.. mine was a great car, I had it from day 1...

Get notified of new replies

To Rented '08

Quick Reply: Rented '08