C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2010 GS top speed in Car and Driver.....

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2009, 02:15 PM
Mike McG
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by rob62
a leap from a 200ft. cliff wont kill you.If you dont believe me try it yourself.
dont get your panties in a bunch I was just trying to prove a point.
Old 10-15-2009, 02:21 PM
bapd77
Safety Car

Received 418 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike McG
a base coupe will do 190 mph. if you dont believe me go try it yourself
I've had mine to 173 mph and that was fast enough--I got scared!
Old 10-15-2009, 02:54 PM
BrooklynC6
aka allbottle¬hrottle

Location: Brooklyn New York The DVL and the chicken sleep with the fishes....
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by Kent1999
Geez, these threads really bring the GS-haters out of the closet!

Its funny, really... people can talk all day about how they are adding radios, ipod adapters, stainless steel trim, engine covers, chrome wheels, extra insulation, full-width spoilers, etc... ALL of which add weight, but its ignored. The GS fenders add like 9 pounds to the C6's weight, and all of a sudden, the haters go all Jenny Craig complaining on how GM has been 'porking up' the Corvette!
I like the GS alot personally . When and if I get one the first thing I will do is add some ponies to even it out .
Old 10-15-2009, 03:01 PM
cthusker
Le Mans Master

Received 91 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by OregonC6
This is a very interesting data point for those of us following the phenomena of the C6 GS. There have been those who consider this model an "engineering phenomena" and those, like me, who consider it a "marketing phenomena".

This new factoid speaks to the result of transplanting a Z06 body onto a base car with no additional hp. Now, of course, we've been regaled recently by reports of GSs showing up on dynos with more hp than the "ordinary" LS3.

Ah, well, bell curves being what they are we don't yet have enough points to construct a "GS manual trans, "hand assembled", "forged crank" LS3" hp plot.

Perhaps the "GS manual trans, "hand assembled", "forged crank" LS3" really does put out more hp? I suppose the factory "tune" on this engine could be a bit more robust. Time will tell.

In the meantime whether there is additional hp or not on the manual GS over the base manual apparently , at least by this test, it's not enough to overcome the greater bulk of the GS/Z06 body. This , by this test at least and subject to further verification, would lead one to believe that the advantage goes to the base car ( subject to the linearity or lack of it as far as additional "drag" on the GS is concerned.

Interesting.
Yea... but it looks faster...
Old 10-15-2009, 03:06 PM
switchplanner
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

It's the wider tires = more friction
Old 10-15-2009, 03:22 PM
teking
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by cthusker
Yea... but it looks faster...
Dude its the BADGES!!! Those badges are good for at least 5MPH.
Old 10-15-2009, 06:28 PM
haljensen
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Its funny, really... people can talk all day about how they are adding radios, ipod adapters, stainless steel trim, engine covers, chrome wheels, extra insulation, full-width spoilers, etc... ALL of which add weight, but its ignored. The GS fenders add like 9 pounds to the C6's weight, and all of a sudden, the haters go all Jenny Craig complaining on how GM has been 'porking up' the Corvette!

But the GS comes OEM with all that weight.
Don't forget the extra 5 quarts of oil (12? pounds), the heavier wheels , tires, brakes and the weight of that LONG cable to the battery in the back.
Old 10-15-2009, 06:47 PM
FloridaGrandSport
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

...and I never hear how the driver's weight comes into play. A 250+ lb driver compared to say someone who tips the scales wet @ 120
Old 10-15-2009, 07:36 PM
C6MagRed
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by haljensen
Don't forget the extra 5 quarts of oil (12? pounds), the heavier wheels , tires, brakes and the weight of that LONG cable to the battery in the back.
Yeah, all those things that get added to the base car when people decide to start running HPDEs etc.... They need to slow their cars down to make it easier to drive
Old 10-15-2009, 10:43 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,047 Likes on 1,359 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by vettedoogie
Like every single Corvette ever made, it is both an engineering AND a marketing phenomena, dancing together. They have never been separate because marketing drives engineering in most companies. Marketing is not just the promotion of something, it is the definition of what something should be and engineering gets you to that final product to fit that marketing vision.

In the case of the Corvette you have a rich history of this dance. Zora took a marketing exercise and, IMHO, showed that they were slightly off the mark with their original marketing visions, via engineering.

The GS is certainly a marketing exercise aimed at satisfying the market of people here on the forum who (in large numbers) converted their cars to wide-bodied Z06 look-alikes. Early on, most of these were convertible owners who loved the wide body look but wanted a convertible version of it.

The GS is also an engineering exercise in putting the wide body and other Z06 traits on the steel frame while still leaving the market enough segmentation for people to see a distinctive difference when they want to buy.

An excellent and perceptive post, fair to every Corvette and the reasons for its existance.
Old 10-16-2009, 03:42 AM
KombatKing
Drifting

Received 118 Likes on 69 Posts

Never gone faster than 130mph, so it would be a non-issue for me... the GS is gorgeous though!

~KK
Old 10-16-2009, 01:42 PM
6spdgs
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jpee
Thank you ! ............. I just canceled my order on a 2010 because if a car can't GAR-UN-TEE 185 mph I don't want it!!

anyone agree
JPEE, I totally agree with you. You'd have to be a total FOOL to order a GS model if it wouldn't have a guaranteed 185 mph. Those with GS models will need psychlogical help when their car gets to 184 but won't get to 185, what a bummer. PS - What do you think it would do with top down? How about if I remove the stripes off fender ? Waiting patiently for your answer. lol
For Sale 1-GS Torch Red 3 Lt. Convertible, 6 spd man, nav., npp., Heritage Package.
Old 10-16-2009, 01:49 PM
Joe_Planet
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i had my z06 up to about 140~150 ish.. and that's plenty fast.
180+ is haulin some serious ***...
Old 10-16-2009, 01:52 PM
SanDiegoBert
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Shortimer
180 MPH or 192 MPH? Doesn't matter to me, I'll never get anywhere near that speed. "She" who must be obeyed isn't happy above 75.
Yeah, my mother was that way, too . . .
Old 10-16-2009, 02:08 PM
3rdWish
Racer

Received 52 Likes on 29 Posts

GM had to add weight to the GS. Otherwise wind would catch under the nose and it flip like a tunnel hull boat at 182 mph

I only expected 181.9 so I'm good. Won't cancel my order just yet.
Old 10-16-2009, 02:25 PM
Kent1999
Le Mans Master

Received 1,651 Likes on 825 Posts

Originally Posted by haljensen
Every pound of 'extra' weight the GS carries is directly tied to a performance-enhancing upgrade.

Bigger/wider wheels & tires = more weight
Bigger brakes = more weight
Dry sump = more weight
Relo'd battery = more weight
Bigger sway bars = more weight

If someone only cares about light weight *above all else*, and doesn't want the extra performance capabilities enabled by the above listed items, why would they complain about the GS in the first place, when a GS is defined exactly by those same performance parts listed above???

I just don't get the attitude...

Last edited by Kent1999; 10-16-2009 at 06:06 PM.
Old 10-16-2009, 05:25 PM
Rocketmanwpb
Safety Car

Received 451 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by ///DarkSide\\\
With a 0.286 coefficient of drag, the Coupe models are the most aerodynamic Corvettes ever - GM's official top speed claim is 190mph

The Z06's Cd is 0.34 - GM's official top speed claim is 198mph, which takes ~70hp more to achieve.

http://www.corvettemuseum.com/specs/2008/index.shtml

I guess that is why my vert will only get up to 189 MPH, and they didn't mention that in the sales brochure!
Old 10-16-2009, 05:36 PM
Never Say Never
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bapd77
I've had mine to 173 mph and that was fast enough--I got scared!
You must have a badge and abused it or it was on a track.
Old 10-16-2009, 05:43 PM
haljensen
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

The speedometer on my '08 A6 has only been to 159-160MPH 3 times (on a Dyno). 6600-6700 RPM in 4th = 159-160 MPH.

Quick Reply: 2010 GS top speed in Car and Driver.....