C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

07 C6 engine blew - GM final Decision

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2009, 01:08 PM
Cool Rod
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by IDSRVIT
Just the opposite..... I appreciated this "attitude" as you call it because they were the first dealership who had the ***** to stand up and make it clear how they (and Chevrolet) handle the warranty. I visited several other dealers who danced around the topic because they wanted my business.

In fact, I actually appreciate that they would put my car under the microscope because then I know they would be doing their job which is to make sure not only that the customer's needs are being met but also that the customers isn't trying to screw the auto-manufacturer by claiming warranty on something the customer blatently and knowingly changed through a MOD.

As far as walking away, why would I do that when I got a car for $20K off the sticker.

Not really appreciating the "white elephant" remark either. My vette is no worse or better than anyone else's so I guess you're really calling all vettes elephants.

My guess if you're someone who has experimented with MODs and hates this conversation about warranty because deep down you know the day will come when you could get screwed.
Sorry, I didn't mean to offend you with the "white elephant" comment. I meant that to them it was a white elephant because they couldn't find a buyer in two years.

$20,000 off the sticker sounds great, but you could get $10,000 off the sticker on a brand new one from a Forum dealer and equip it the way you wanted and save two years of depreciation.

But come on, voided the brake warranty because someone painted the calipers?!!

Wouldn't replace the cheapo latch on the console because the owner reupholstered the lid?!!

Voided the ECM warranty because of a Mild 2 Wild switch? Bogus bogus bogus!

Make you prove they are wrong!?? What ordinary person could do that?

This isn't a criticism of you in any way, it's just an observation that dealers generate return business when they are helpful but they lose business when they treat their customers like they are trying to steal something.

Who was it anyway? If they're on the up and up they won't mind.
Old 10-09-2009, 01:33 PM
NormWild
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by pmj341
I however bought the Vette with every intension of Modding it, I have Modded every car and truck that I've ever purchased, and I would never take any of my vehicles to the Dealer for service or Warranty work.
In other words if you can not do the work yourself of have a trusted freind do it, leave it ALONE!!!!
It's not going to get better, it will get worse!!
Good Luck
Just buy a crate engine and have it installed, have the dealer install it and remove all your mods, if you want GM Warranty.
Have to agree, I approach every modification with what I would do if something major needed to be fixed and if I could afford/handle it. I would never take it to the dealer. Motor swap is not really a big deal and I appreciate the OP just trying to settle the old "will a tune void my warranty" debate. Your motor was due for a freshen up anyway and there are some great crate motors available out there. Good Luck
Old 10-09-2009, 02:08 PM
RichieRichZ06
Supporting Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Supporting the Corvette Community at Abel Chevrolet in Rio Vista, CA 707-374-6317 Ext.123
Received 1,425 Likes on 597 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by CV-4606
READ MY POST TODAY AT "DEALERS AND TUNES" PLEASE

Thank you

We have alerady figured out that your dealer is blowing smoke up your a$$.
Old 10-09-2009, 02:13 PM
cencalc6
Melting Slicks

Received 17 Likes on 6 Posts

EdCalVette sorry for the loss.... get yourself a used or new LS3 engine and bring right over,I'm only a 2hr drive.... lets get that baby back on the road
Old 10-09-2009, 02:15 PM
iw172
Drifting

Location: Retired early,everyday is Saturday...Hocking Hills Ohio
Received 136 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by texvette2
Corvettes are very temperamental, look at one wrong and into the
shop it goes. Know many on here claim they can be daily drivers.
But to most nope, they fall apart. or develop numerous niches.

What a dependable vehicle, its a truck or an asian vehicle, not
a GM corvette.

My C5 was better less gadgets, The C6 is one problem
after another. If the C5 had the C6 features it would have
been just as bad. GM does not have electronic knowledge of
the other manufacturers
Looks like you should have kept your C-5, huh?
Old 10-09-2009, 02:28 PM
MNVette
Melting Slicks

I have absolutely ZERO sympathy for the OP and all those others who seem to be of the belief that GM (or any other car company, bankrupt or not) should simply eat a warranty repair to a MODIFIED car.

I've seen posts like those from Chuck CoW claiming that his (and, only his) magical tune will defeat the forces of GM zone reps looking for tunes, and they are 100% .

These are the VERY simple facts - if you buy a car and modify it, the warranty for whatever portion of the car you altered is GONE. If you tune the car, the powertrain warranty is GONE. Period. I've personally spoken with and dealt with shops that do custom tunes many, many times, and there is NO such thing as a tune that cannot be detected, regardless of whether you remove it before taking it to the dealership. You can swap ECU's all day, it won't work. The new ECU's programming tag won't exactly match the one that came with the car - so, you're busted. If you use a laptop, there will be bit errors that any competent tech can find showing a reprogram.

Therefore, follow this easy rule - if you mod, you pay for repairs.

Those that advocate otherwise are nothing more than liars and thieves. Why not simply carjack someone for their ride instead of trying to commit fraud on GM, eh? It will save everyone some time. Better yet, why don't you all leave your precious rides out with the fobs in them so we can simply take them from you?
Old 10-09-2009, 02:38 PM
Rule292
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

I think it's been established that the OP does not expect this repair to be paid for and that GM legitimately denied his warranty claim.

But I have this question to you , counsellor. Do you believe that his (or a) modification should result in the blanket nullification of the entire powertrain warranty forever?

That's the question that I have and do many on here.

BTW we know that you have the income to make mods and any warranty problems a non-issue so I would not expect sympathy for someone else's issues.

Originally Posted by MNVette
I have absolutely ZERO sympathy for the OP and all those others who seem to be of the belief that GM (or any other car company, bankrupt or not) should simply eat a warranty repair to a MODIFIED car.

I've seen posts like those from Chuck CoW claiming that his (and, only his) magical tune will defeat the forces of GM zone reps looking for tunes, and they are 100% .

These are the VERY simple facts - if you buy a car and modify it, the warranty for whatever portion of the car you altered is GONE. If you tune the car, the powertrain warranty is GONE. Period. I've personally spoken with and dealt with shops that do custom tunes many, many times, and there is NO such thing as a tune that cannot be detected, regardless of whether you remove it before taking it to the dealership. You can swap ECU's all day, it won't work. The new ECU's programming tag won't exactly match the one that came with the car - so, you're busted. If you use a laptop, there will be bit errors that any competent tech can find showing a reprogram.

Those that advocate otherwise are nothing more than liars and thieves. Why not simply carjack someone for their ride instead of trying to commit fraud on GM, eh? It will save everyone some time. Better yet, why don't you all leave your precious rides out with the fobs in them so we can simply take them from you?
Old 10-09-2009, 02:47 PM
MNVette
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Rule292
But I have this question to you , counsellor. Do you believe that his (or a) modification should result in the blanket nullification of the entire powertrain warranty forever?

That's the question that I have and do many on here.

BTW we know that you have the income to make mods and any warranty problems a non-issue so I would not expect sympathy for someone else's issues.
To answer your question, yes, the powertrain warranty should be voided FOREVER once it has been determined that a modification has occurred. The warranty booklet clearly states as much. You bought the car knowing (or should have known) this.

More to the point, I have a very basic question for YOU - you seem to throw out the whole "income jealousy" issue by stating, in an obviously snotty tone, that you, "know that [I] have the income to make mods and any warranty problems a non-issue..." So, my question is this: so what? I accepted the fact that if I modified my car I would have to eat any repairs. How does income affect this sane decision-making process in any fashion? If I didn't have the money (which, naturally, begs the question of how someone who is broke can buy a $50k+ car in the first place), I wouldn't be buying mods. Therefore, if wouldn't be an issue, would it? No it wouldn't. So, again, what the hell does income have to do with it? It has nothing to do with it. Your attempt to cloud the issue is pathetic and does not advance your argument one little bit. Plus, it does nothing to address the whole "it's fraud" issue, which you seem to approve of with your tone.

Bottom line - you mod, you pay. Accept it or leave the damn car alone.
Old 10-09-2009, 03:05 PM
EdCalVette
Racer

St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by MNVette

As the OP I agree with above. May I add, I do not seek sympathy.
Again, the reason for the post was to inform members about this mod / warranty subject of which there are many misconceptions. I should have known, my responsibility. I still do not personally believe the tune caused the lifter failure, but I accept GM's stand on the whole subject.
Old 10-09-2009, 03:07 PM
deviledGTO
Racer

so whats your plan to move forward?
Old 10-09-2009, 03:13 PM
mikez51c6
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '11

I guess no tune for me im guessing my after market waranty the dealer sold me would do the same thing
Old 10-09-2009, 03:18 PM
EdCalVette
Racer

St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by deviledGTO
so whats your plan to move forward?
New stock crate engine on order. Lesson learned. Should have car back in a week.
Old 10-09-2009, 03:19 PM
myquickZ06
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mikez51c6
I guess no tune for me im guessing my after market waranty the dealer sold me would do the same thing
I just bought an 03' that was modified, and the after market warranty does cover the drive train, because that's the way it was when I bought it.
Old 10-09-2009, 03:22 PM
06 C6 vert
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I dont get it, seems like dealer foul play here. They tear down the engine then the Warr gets blocked?
Old 10-09-2009, 03:24 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by EdCalVette
As the OP I agree with above. May I add, I do not seek sympathy.
Again, the reason for the post was to inform members about this mod / warranty subject of which there are many misconceptions. I should have known, my responsibility. I still do not personally believe the tune caused the lifter failure, but I accept GM's stand on the whole subject.
to a true stand up guy.
Old 10-09-2009, 03:27 PM
redzone
Le Mans Master

Received 149 Likes on 88 Posts

When you get right down to where the cheese binds it doesn't matter if a tune actually contributed to the damage. GM has told us if we tune,the powertrain warranty is null & void. It's their car until we buy it and they have every right to stipulate the rules of the game.

Hell,if they came out & said carrying more than 2 loaves of bread in the car voided the powertrain warranty guess what?? I'd be a one loaf totin' SOB.
Old 10-09-2009, 03:35 PM
okie08vette
Le Mans Master

Received 52 Likes on 41 Posts

Wow, what a post and a great discussion about warranty work, it seems pretty simply to me modify you car and GM can void the warranty, does not mean they will every time but they can.
I have had some warranty work on my 08 like a replaced bottom seat cushion with a tiny tear, this could have been denied as warranty work because it was not obvious how the tear got there, but my dealer just said no problem lets get it changed. So I guess it just depends on who and what the issue is.
Did someone post here that?
"Paint the calibers and the brake warranty is void" I am going to ask my dealer because my calipers are painted.

Get notified of new replies

To 07 C6 engine blew - GM final Decision

Old 10-09-2009, 03:49 PM
jschindler
Team Owner

Received 341 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by '06 Quicksilver Z06
to a true stand up guy.
Old 10-09-2009, 04:24 PM
gatti-man
Melting Slicks

Received 62 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by redzone
When you get right down to where the cheese binds it doesn't matter if a tune actually contributed to the damage. GM has told us if we tune,the powertrain warranty is null & void. It's their car until we buy it and they have every right to stipulate the rules of the game.

Hell,if they came out & said carrying more than 2 loaves of bread in the car voided the powertrain warranty guess what?? I'd be a one loaf totin' SOB.
See when you get down to it that stance is illegal by US law. So no matter how much people want to shill for GM the law states that as an owner of a product with warranty it is on the warrantor GM to prove a modification caused a failure.
Old 10-09-2009, 04:29 PM
deviledGTO
Racer

Originally Posted by EdCalVette
New stock crate engine on order. Lesson learned. Should have car back in a week.
LS2? LS3? LS7 or LS9?

Quick Reply: 07 C6 engine blew - GM final Decision