C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New brakes all the way around and they stills squeal like a pig :willy: What now?

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2009, 05:45 PM
DjCritterus
Team Owner

Received 95 Likes on 55 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Default New brakes all the way around and they stills squeal like a pig :*****: What now?

I put new pads on all fours of the C6. The rotors were turned and I sprayed them with Brake Clean fluid before I put the calipers back on.

The slide pins were also cleaned and regreased. All the pads have the hims installed correctly along with the anti-squeal compound. I've also ensured the brakes were properly bled and they are tight. i have no problem stopping the car at all.

It sounds like all the noise is coming from the rear brakes, though. When I come to a slow stop I hear the squeal but it's not there if I press hard on the brake pedal. Also, when I'm slowly backing down my mountain of a driveway all of the brakes make a noise something like you'd hear when a train comes to a stop. It's a loud low pitched whine.

Does anybody have suggestions? :
Old 10-01-2009, 05:48 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,478 Likes on 1,941 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

did you bed in the new pads? not that it matters, but what pads are you using?
Old 10-01-2009, 05:53 PM
AtHomeSoda
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Well...

Did you check to see if your rear axel nuts were tight?
Old 10-01-2009, 05:53 PM
DjCritterus
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by AORoads
did you bed in the new pads? not that it matters, but what pads are you using?
Premium brand from o'reilleys. I cleanit enough to not have to worry about the brake dust. [Flame suit on]
Old 10-01-2009, 05:55 PM
DjCritterus
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by AtHomeSoda
Did you check to see if your rear axel nuts were tight?
I'm not sure this would be a problem since the squeal was much worse before i did the brake job.
Old 10-01-2009, 05:58 PM
cthusker
Le Mans Master

Received 91 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by DJ_Critterus
I'm not sure this would be a problem since the squeal was much worse before i did the brake job.
Here's some excellent technical info on bedding in the brakes! I can tell you that much of people experience with brake noise, shudder etc.. are caused by improper or not bedding new pads..... Some great info on this website regardless of what mfg pads you used....

http://www.stoptech.com/tech_info/wp_bedinstock.shtml
Old 10-01-2009, 05:59 PM
DjCritterus
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by cthusker
Here's some excellent technical info on bedding in the brakes! I can tell you that much of people experience with brake noise, shudder etc.. are caused by improper or not bedding new pads..... Some great info on this website regardless of what mfg pads you used....

http://www.stoptech.com/tech_info/wp_bedinstock.shtml
Thanks. I'll give it a shot even though I thought bedding in brakes was only needed for racing applications.
Old 10-01-2009, 06:05 PM
cthusker
Le Mans Master

Thanks. I'll give it a shot even though I thought bedding in brakes was only needed for racing applications.
No.. "ALL" new pads need to be bedded in for proper operation. Doesn't matter as the article explains. Don't ask how I know why it's so important... Good luck and let me know how you make out after you've bedded in the pads.

BTW... I doubt your rotors we bad UNLESS they were showing cracks. It's almost impossible to actually warp rotors as you can't get them that hot... cracking etc yes... So many folks get ripped off when told their rotors are warped.. it's usually just brake deposit material on them. Even turning them might not remove all that material......
Old 10-01-2009, 06:07 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,478 Likes on 1,941 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

I went to O'Reillys website; they list everything for an '05 from a brand called Brake Best to Wagner and Performance Friction. If the bedding in process described above by CT doesn't work, you may have to try "chamfering" ( a process of simply cutting the edge at an angle, sort of like a ramping up to the main surface of the pad) the leading edge of the pads.

But see if the bedding in works. And don't necessarily expect it to be a permanent fix; many/most brakes still make noise after awhile and need to be semi-bedded in again or occasionally. Sometimes, it's just a good hard stop with 3/4 brake push, and sometimes it's a full bedding in.

Tell us what happens.
AtHomeSoda
Melting Slicks

Default Well...

I would still check your nuts... VERY common to be loose, and loose causes a noise... The Dealer fixes with NEW Nuts and locktight. fyi
DjCritterus
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '09

No.. "ALL" new pads need to be bedded in for proper operation. Doesn't matter as the article explains. Don't ask how I know why it's so important... Good luck and let me know how you make out after you've bedded in the pads.

BTW... I doubt your rotors we bad UNLESS they were showing cracks. It's almost impossible to actually warp rotors as you can't get them that hot... cracking etc yes... So many folks get ripped off when told their rotors are warped.. it's usually just brake deposit material on them. Even turning them might not remove all that material......
I have my rotors turned or replaced as needed every time I change pads. There's no way my daily driving habits would warp them There were no cracks in them either.
Old 10-01-2009, 06:08 PM
DjCritterus
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '09

I would still check your nuts... VERY common to be loose, and loose causes a noise... The Dealer fixes with NEW Nuts and locktight. fyi
Hmmm... I'll check but I did clean the lock time remnants off with a wire brush and re-coat them when I put them back in. You are talking about the bolts that hold the caliper to the slide pins, right?
Old 10-01-2009, 06:14 PM
AtHomeSoda
Melting Slicks

Default No

Hmmm... I'll check but I did clean the lock time remnants off with a wire brush and re-coat them when I put them back in. You are talking about the bolts that hold the caliper to the slide pins, right?
The BIG Nut that holds the REAR Axel... you do not need to pull the tire... just the center cap... you torque to 140 ft lbs. A lot are finger tight when checked... Really
Old 10-01-2009, 06:27 PM
DjCritterus
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '09

The BIG Nut that holds the REAR Axel... you do not need to pull the tire... just the center cap... you torque to 140 ft lbs. A lot are finger tight when checked... Really
Sounds like a job for me after I put off what's one the Honey-do list through procrastination this weekend

cthusker, I'll do the bedding in this weekend, too, and post an update. Thanks for the advice everyone. In all my years of changing brakes I've never had a set do this
Old 10-01-2009, 06:30 PM
peter pan
Life Time NCM #2196

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,096 Likes on 808 Posts

No, I had to do that when I changed out my factory ones for HPS Cermanics and no noise after being bedded in
Old 10-01-2009, 06:35 PM
DjCritterus
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by peter pan
No, I had to do that when I changed out my factory ones for HPS Cermanics and no noise after being bedded in
Survey says..... ding ding ding. I'm definitely going to hea the C6 Gen advice on this one.
Old 10-01-2009, 06:40 PM
cthusker
Le Mans Master

Sounds like a job for me after I put off what's one the Honey-do list through procrastination this weekend

cthusker, I'll do the bedding in this weekend, too, and post an update. Thanks for the advice everyone. In all my years of changing brakes I've never had a set do this
At least the "bedding" process is kind of fun cause you got to get it up to speed! Nothing says you can't get it up to speed.. FAST!!

I sure hope it works because it's down right embarrassing to hear those things squealing like a PETA rep at an NRA convention...

Get notified of new replies

To New brakes all the way around and they stills squeal like a pig :willy: What now?

Old 10-01-2009, 06:59 PM
shockwaveharry
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like you are doing everything right mechanically but one thing is for certain, the pads vibrate against the rotor when applied and when the vibration transfers to two metal surfaces, you get an audible squeal. Chances are you have some metal to metal contact that needs a little lube.

Lube: The best "anti squeal compound" is a ceramic brake lubricant. It holds up best in high heat areas like brake pads. I have also used high heat anti-seize in the past with great results. That red stuff that turns semi hard like silicone is probably the worst thing you could use. No lubricating properties at all and hard to clean off for the next mechanic.

Pads: Higher quality pad compounds are designed to absorb vibrations thereby reducing the possibility of brake noise. With the store branded parts, they may say premium on the box and you may pay more, but what is in the box is whatever the purchasers decided to buy that month. In other words, they bought from "factory A" in January but got a better price from "factory C" in June, but "factory C's" pad, still sold as a premium, is not as good as "factory B's". I sell "white box" pads as well, but I control the quality of the pads I purchased and from who.

Bedding: The mating of the pads to the rotors is CRITICAL to the performance and long life of the brake job. The information linked to in other posts is some of the best out there, but what you are ultimately trying to accomplish is getting the pads and rotors to "marry" each other without overheating them before it happens. 99% of the brake jobs on the road today achieve this through easy brake applications for the first few hundred miles. If you haven't overheated your brake job yet, at least you are on the right track! Oh, and what ever you do, DO NOT BRAKE HARD ENOUGH TO MAKE YOUR NEW BRAKES SMOKE! That's a brake job killer!

Hope this helps.
Old 10-01-2009, 08:25 PM
DjCritterus
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by shockwaveharry
Sounds like you are doing everything right mechanically but one thing is for certain, the pads vibrate against the rotor when applied and when the vibration transfers to two metal surfaces, you get an audible squeal. Chances are you have some metal to metal contact that needs a little lube.

Lube: The best "anti squeal compound" is a ceramic brake lubricant. It holds up best in high heat areas like brake pads. I have also used high heat anti-seize in the past with great results. That red stuff that turns semi hard like silicone is probably the worst thing you could use. No lubricating properties at all and hard to clean off for the next mechanic.

Pads: Higher quality pad compounds are designed to absorb vibrations thereby reducing the possibility of brake noise. With the store branded parts, they may say premium on the box and you may pay more, but what is in the box is whatever the purchasers decided to buy that month. In other words, they bought from "factory A" in January but got a better price from "factory C" in June, but "factory C's" pad, still sold as a premium, is not as good as "factory B's". I sell "white box" pads as well, but I control the quality of the pads I purchased and from who.

Bedding: The mating of the pads to the rotors is CRITICAL to the performance and long life of the brake job. The information linked to in other posts is some of the best out there, but what you are ultimately trying to accomplish is getting the pads and rotors to "marry" each other without overheating them before it happens. 99% of the brake jobs on the road today achieve this through easy brake applications for the first few hundred miles. If you haven't overheated your brake job yet, at least you are on the right track! Oh, and what ever you do, DO NOT BRAKE HARD ENOUGH TO MAKE YOUR NEW BRAKES SMOKE! That's a brake job killer!

Hope this helps.
I'm tracking all of this about the supply process since I used to be ASE certified in Auto Parts business.

I also used anti squeal with the shims so I'm a little lost here. I'll try your other suggestion but I've run them for about 300 miles so far. I would think it'd worked itself out by now. either way, the fast run up to speed to bed the pads sounds like fun whether it'll help or not

I've also managed to not over heat the brakes since I do "city" driving that has a lot of romm between lights and a decent traffic flow.

either way, I'll try the bedding process and let you all know how it works this weekend. It'll probably be Sunday since I don't drive on days I run with the local Hash House Harriers and we have runs Friday night and Saturday afternoon. Tis a drinking club with a running problem :o
Old 10-01-2009, 08:35 PM
jpee
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

At least the "bedding" process is kind of fun cause you got to get it up to speed! Nothing says you can't get it up to speed.. FAST!!

I sure hope it works because it's down right embarrassing to hear those things squealing like a PETA rep at an NRA convention...
I just replaced the pads on my car with GM Cermaic... I did not cut the rotors as the car only had 9000 miles on it and they (rotors) were in perfect shape..

I did exactly as the link the "cthusker" posted said... I did not get hi performance pads because I only Drag Race my car, and I need holding power when the pads & rotors are cold!

As for stopping, I have over 1/2 mile so I go easy on the breaks! I have exactly NO problems with the GM Ceramic pads, no noise or dust (thats why I switched) I didn't want to clean the wheels every time I used the car!

cthusker... Thank you for the link... I did exactly as it said & it worked fine for me!!

Quick Reply: New brakes all the way around and they stills squeal like a pig :willy: What now?