C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Add me to the list of cracked rocker by dealer :(

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2009, 07:30 AM
DSOMvette
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by Shortimer
This is why I do my own oil changes. The savings is another plus.
Add me to this list. Sorry about your rockers.
Old 10-05-2009, 08:05 AM
GotVett?
Race Director

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Licit
What ever happened the the hole in the floor where there is no need to lift the car for a simple oil change?!?! Man am I glad I change my own oil.
Got that right!!!
Old 10-05-2009, 09:01 AM
snow
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 220 Likes on 171 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10, '17-'18-'19

give us an update... and kick them in the taco while your there
Old 10-05-2009, 10:55 AM
peter pan
Life Time NCM #2196

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,099 Likes on 810 Posts

Sorry about your rockers, time for some rocker savers, got them on both of my Vettes
Old 10-05-2009, 11:17 AM
FortMorganAl
Le Mans Master

Location: Currently somewhere in IL,IN,KY,TN,MO,AR,MS,AL, or FL
Received 228 Likes on 187 Posts

Originally Posted by wolfdogs
****. my biggest fear. i stand there and drill the service writer when i take mine in.....make it clear... sorry that happened.
That's what I did. Was assured they knew all about proper lifting. Left my pucks on the passenger seat anyway and told them they were free to use them. When I picked it up and found the rockers broken they did admit doing it after half an hour.

Last week they repaired the rockers they broke. It took 4 days. They would rent me a "loaner" for only $10/day or give me a free ride home. I chose the latter which only took 2 hours to get a full load for the van. I got the car back and the paint doesn't match but, hey, silver is silver, right? And people wonder why I hate dealerships so much.

BTW, I would NEVER take ANY car to a dealership for a simple oil change.
Old 10-05-2009, 11:21 AM
wld35
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hope the dealer makes it right and keep us posted. Because of this forum, i only take mine to a place where I can watch and they have a drive on rack that lifts the car from under the tires. Even then, the last time I had to stop them from putting 10w30 instead of 5w30, though that is hardly the end of the world. Oh, yeah, and it costs 40 bucks instead of the 100 at the stealership.

But I wonder, why is this so complicated? Lots of cars, BMW's. Nismo's etc, have this issue, but the service writiers act like they have never heard of it.

Last edited by wld35; 10-05-2009 at 11:30 AM.
Old 10-05-2009, 11:21 AM
LFZ
Team Owner

Received 310 Likes on 227 Posts

Originally Posted by FortMorganAl

BTW, I would NEVER take ANY car to a dealership for a simple oil change.
Old 10-05-2009, 11:28 AM
BSE1956
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sorry to hear that you are another victim of dealer stupidity.
My local dealer put a very small crack in my rocker when the car had a few hundred miles on it. They eventually offered to have their body shop repair it, but gave me a hard time and wouldn't put anything in writing.....When I saw "their" body shop it was so disgusting and creepy looking I wouldn't drive my car in there, much less leave it.
I mended the crack with glue and can really hardly notice it's there, but it still burns me up that a dealer could be so lazy stupid and uncaring. They will not see me again.
Old 10-05-2009, 11:31 AM
abda53
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How Come

Why is it that GM can't design a car with more robust rocker panels? After so many years of complaints like these, why can't they pull their heads out of their exhaust pipes and design a car that can actually be serviced by the Samsonite Gorillas that work in the service departments without being damaged?
Old 10-05-2009, 11:42 AM
davidstake
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Make sure they repair the rocker panel properly. I took the factory buyer's tour a couple of weeks ago and they told me the rocker panels were affixed to the frame using a permanent adhesive (no hardware). I proceeded to ask my guide how it could be repaired if it got cracked and he told me there is a lot of dis-assembly that must occur to replace the rocker panel. Anyway, just make sure the dealer does it right.
Old 10-05-2009, 11:49 AM
Dominic Toretto
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by abda53
Why is it that GM can't design a car with more robust rocker panels? After so many years of complaints like these, why can't they pull their heads out of their exhaust pipes and design a car that can actually be serviced by the Samsonite Gorillas that work in the service departments without being damaged?
You really think they "can't"? Actually there are several makes and models that are designed the same way. It was just an incompetent dealership that he took it to for service. With that said, the first mistake was taking it to a dealership. Good luck though.

-Alex
Old 10-05-2009, 11:57 AM
Hoonose
Team Owner

Received 77 Likes on 66 Posts

Why is it that GM can't design a car with more robust rocker panels? After so many years of complaints like these, why can't they pull their heads out of their exhaust pipes and design a car that can actually be serviced by the Samsonite Gorillas that work in the service departments without being damaged? *****:
This is the real problem, and may not be solvable for all I know, and still look good.
But after owning an early '05 MN6 all these years, I can tell you that there will be times when it isn't so much fun owning a car with these sorts of unique engineering 'features'.
Old 10-05-2009, 12:39 PM
GOLD72
Race Director

Received 1,122 Likes on 727 Posts

One easy solution would be for GM to add more cutout space in the rocker panels at the lifting points so that only the most mislocated lift arms might contact the rockers.
Old 10-05-2009, 12:47 PM
trapp
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PolishDude
Had my oil changed at a local dealer on Thursday, was washing the car today and noticed the rocker was cracked where one would jack the car on one of the sides, the other is barely cracked but on the driver side it is really bad. Going to the dealer tomorrow...what a pain in the ***
I know how you feel....I took my brand new 07 Z06 to a local tuner for an oil change..I even had the pucks in the back and told them about them. I happen to walk back in the shop while the car was up on the lift and all fours lift points were cracked!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Talk about a bad day...

Last edited by trapp; 10-05-2009 at 12:49 PM.
Old 10-05-2009, 12:58 PM
Dominic Toretto
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

It's a Corvette not an Impala.

-Alex
Old 10-05-2009, 02:57 PM
PolishDude
Le Mans Master

Received 39 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by AlexSmith
It's a Corvette not an Impala.

-Alex
went to the dealer and asked to see the service manager. The guy remembered me when my car was in there for clutch work under warranty, no hesitation offered to have it fixed and will get a rental while its in the shop, i drop it off tomorrow. I am not going to have a new rocker put on as i dont trust them to do that, he even offered but id be way too worried about paint match plus taking my whole car apart, i told him i just want the cracks fixed and painted, if paint match is off a little on the underside of the rockers that is okay but if my rocker was off right under the door i would be more upset so i took the less of the two evils
Old 10-05-2009, 03:21 PM
mirage2991
Safety Car

Received 250 Likes on 163 Posts

^ and soon you won't even remember it's there...wise decision!

Get notified of new replies

To Add me to the list of cracked rocker by dealer :(

Old 10-05-2009, 03:31 PM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

I put on the BMW jacking pucks. They snap-on. They have been on ever since saving damage!
No reason to take them off!
Old 10-05-2009, 04:02 PM
Tally Ho
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Out Where the Buses Don't Run, Eglin AFB/ Niceville FL
Received 1,468 Likes on 790 Posts
2022 Corvette of the Year Finalist -- Modified
2021 C6 of the Year Winner - Modified
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Modified
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

I change my own oil. I use a drive on lift at the base hobby shop that way no pucks are needed. I fail to understand why more dealerships don't install these type lifts for oil changes. The wheels don't need to hang free to change the oil or to reach suspension lube points.
Old 10-05-2009, 04:17 PM
Gordon Shumway
Team Owner

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts

I had one of the rears cracked during the pre-delivery inspection they do. Unfortunately I never saw it until I was doing the first oil change. Enough time had passed that I decided to just let it go. I'll definitely lean on them about it if I ever have to bring the car back for warranty work. I have been able to avoid them for eighteen months so far.

Quick Reply: Add me to the list of cracked rocker by dealer :(