C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My Chuck CoW Full package tune review

Old 12-21-2015, 09:12 PM
ssmike56
Pro

Received 97 Likes on 76 Posts
Default My Chuck CoW Full package tune review

I purchased my '06 base Corvette with A6 (first Corvette) this past August. I quickly discovered that the throttle response and transmission shifting left a lot to be desired. My only mod was to immediately install NPP mufflers, other than that it's stock.

I heard about the Vitesse throttle controller and pulled the trigger on one. I liked it but found that I set it at 6 and left it there. I started to lose sleep thinking about that aftermarket electronic device in line with my throttle (think Toyota cruise control recall) and I was growing increasingly discouraged with my transmission shifting. I knew it needed a tune so I started shopping around for an email tuner.

My tuner list was down to 3. One would only work via emails, the other would swap the ECM but every update had to be swapped, and I discovered that the cheap price was only good for manuals. The 3rd....Chuck CoW.

Chuck CoW? Hmmm, very controversial. Some like him, some hate him....from what I have seen on this forum. I decided to give him a call just to pick his brain a little and I liked the idea of the full package, which included the CoW Booster (throttle enhancer), ECM, and TCM. Also, Chuck does a software update on the ECM and TCM with his tune so you don't have a new tune on old software. I liked that idea and I don't know of any other tuner that does that. I left a message and he called me back the next day. After talking to him for about half an hour I decided to pull the trigger, mostly for the trans tune and it included the CoW Booster for free. I traded in the Vitesse to recoup some cost. Chuck seemed very enthusiastic and passionate about what he does and answered all my questions so I felt comfortable purchasing his package.

Fast forward to today and I'm on my second datalog and ready to load the third ECM tune update. The CoW Booster is about equivalent to the Vitesse at a 6 or 7 and functions as advertised. What's nice about the full package is that Chuck can adjust the Booster to be a little milder in "D" mode and more aggressive in TC off mode (his and hers). The ECM tune is GREAT! The engine pulls strong and linear through the RPM's and runs like a top. What REALLY shines is the TCM tune! Shifts are faster and firmer! It holds the gear a little longer in each gear. Instead of being in 5th at 30mph it's in 3rd or 4th. The Automatic downshifts are faster and more precise! It really seems to anticipate what gear is needed immediately when you hit the gas and shifts with authority! In "S" mode things are about the same as "D" but using the paddle shifters has become a lot more fun! The manual downshift rev matching is fantastic! Really makes it sound "racey"!

Overall I'm very pleased with both the tune and Chuck himself. Yea he can be difficult to get ahold of but I've had that experience with most aftermarket vendors I've ever dealt with. They can become very overwhelmed with work, trade shows etc. and it's no different with Chuck! I have 5 years of modding with the 5th gen Camaro SS I had so I'm kind of used to it! lol!

To sum it all up, I'm very pleased so far and have had an overall good experience! I look forward to doing more datalogging and having Chuck do his magic! His pricing is a little steep but you get a LOT for your money. What's nice is that tweaks are free and he can really customize the tune to your liking! I Highly recommend the full package, especially if you have an A6!
Old 12-21-2015, 09:53 PM
AssTyme
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

So the only reason to have to send your PCM in is for the COW booster ? Everything else can be done through e-mails ?

I could get the Chuck tune and run it with the Vitesse Motorsports throttle controller having not to swap any parts ?
Old 12-21-2015, 10:06 PM
ssmike56
Pro

Received 97 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by AssTyme
So the only reason to have to send your PCM in is for the COW booster ? Everything else can be done through e-mails ?

I could get the Chuck tune and run it with the Vitesse Motorsports throttle controller having not to swap any parts ?
I think so. Give him a call.
Old 12-22-2015, 07:46 AM
Fastone27
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts

Great review!
The following users liked this post:
ssmike56 (12-22-2015)
Old 12-22-2015, 10:24 PM
0Chuck CoW
Former Vendor

Received 243 Likes on 183 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'12-'13-'14

Default YES, and I'll make you an even SWEETER DEAL!

Originally Posted by AssTyme

YES, and I'll make you an even SWEETER DEAL!

I'll send you my FULL PACKAGE and take $300 off the price if you send me your Vitesse unit first.....

Something to think about.... Mike Did.... He's VERY happy.

Chuck CoW

Get notified of new replies

To My Chuck CoW Full package tune review

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: My Chuck CoW Full package tune review