C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What are the tax implications of winning a car in CM raffle?

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2009, 09:02 AM
Pylons
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by vettedoogie
Well, add probably $170k (or more depending on the value of the older Vette) right on top of your income and then figure what your income taxes would be on that figure. Then add whatever the sales tax was on both and add that in.
no sales tax is going to be collected...there's no sale!
Old 10-05-2009, 09:15 AM
vettedoogie
Le Mans Master

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Pylons
no sales tax is going to be collected...there's no sale!
That is not necessarily true. I agree that it shouldn't be...depends on the state you win it in.
Old 10-05-2009, 09:54 AM
vettetax
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

One can always donate the winning car to a 501(c)(3) charity and offset the income as a deduction in the year of the winning assuming the fair market value of the car does not exceed 50% of your income.
Old 10-06-2009, 10:38 AM
fatboy82652
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, you win it, give it to me and I will pay the taxes!! Pluss give you the price of your ticket back...even though its probably tax deductable!!
I like the sun comment , smiles
Old 10-06-2009, 10:46 AM
hedgehead
Race Director

Location: I'm not doing as well as I expected, but I never expected I would
Received 109 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by mgtr
We are all in different tax situations. I am retired, and have structured my situation so that I pay no income tax, although I have nine cars, two houses, and a large motor coach. I already have all the cars I want/need, so I have no interest in "winning" a car upon which I would have to pay income tax. And, yes, I do have an 09 Corvette which makes me happy.
In Obama's America that is NOT FAIR!
Old 10-06-2009, 11:07 AM
CC Rider
Instructor

Originally Posted by mgtr
I have wondered for some time how this workds. Is the value of car considered regular income (bummer) or is it tax free? I would be willing to buy a ticket or two for a GS vert if it is tax free, but not if I have to pay significant income tax on it. Thanks for any info.
You gotta pay-bottom line! Nobody gets something for nothing=duh?
Old 10-06-2009, 11:10 AM
Red Rochester
Le Mans Master

Received 255 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by dumpster
Yea, I agree. When I won that lottery thing a few years ago, they said they couldn't pay me the money all at once, but over a 20 year period! I can't wait that long so I told them to just give me my dollar back!
Old 10-06-2009, 11:12 AM
Red Rochester
Le Mans Master

Received 255 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by Nuclear28
I can't believe this question was asked. In one of my accounting classes, we discussed about the TV home repair shows, that when they turn a clunker of a house in to a masterpiece, the tax rate skyrockets, and results in the homelessness of the occupants on multiple occasions...
Apparently the person who wrote this didn't attend your class
Old 10-06-2009, 12:22 PM
talon90
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 152 Likes on 72 Posts
Tech Contributor
Cruise-In 11 Veteran
NCM Ambassador
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'10

The NCM will collect a 25% fee upon delivery.

http://www.corvettemuseum.com/raffle/rules.htm

Winner agrees to pay 25% federal income tax withholding to the National Corvette Museum prior to release of the Corvette or any other prize. National Corvette Museum will submit the taxes collected to the IRS. After the end of the year, the Museum will file a form W-2G with the IRS to report the value of the prize won and the taxes paid in by the winner. The winner will receive a copy of this also.
The 25% tax is calculated on the "cost" of the car that the museum is charged. It is not MSRP. They are charged a cost from GM that is specific to the car, the model and the options that is included in the particular drawing that the museum happens to be doing at that time. The winner will be informed of what the tax basis is and what the fee is that they will need to provide.

The IRS guideline that specifies that the organization conducting the raffle for a prize greater than $5,000 is OBLIGATED to collect the taxes. The NCM had to apply for a Charitible Gaming License in order to conduct these raffles. Based on the below IRS guideline that they have NO choice but to collect the money UP FRONT:

Federal Income Tax Withholding: Charity Game Ticket Prizes

IDENTIFICATION: The winner of a single charity game ticket prize of $600 or more must provide the organization with proper identification. Two types of identification (e.g. driver license, social security card, voter registration card, etc.) should be furnished by the winner to verify his or her name, address, and social security number (SSN).

W-2G: If an organization awards a single charity game ticket prize of $600 or more, they must file Form W-2G.

WITHHOLDING: It is important that organizations understand the difference between "regular gambling withholding" and "backup withholding" of federal income tax.

The "regular gambling withholding" rate is 25% of a prize.

If an organization awards a single charity game ticket prize with a value between $600 and $5,000 and the prize winner provides proper identification, no withholding is required.
If the prize amount is more than $5,000, the organization must obtain proper identification from the winner (as described above) and withhold 25% of the prize. If the organization is unable to obtain proper identification, they must withhold the higher "backup withholding."
The "backup withholding" rate is 28% of a prize.

If an organization awards a single charity game ticket prize of $600 or greater and the prize winner fails to provide proper identification, the organization must retain the "backup withholding of 28%."
EXAMPLE: Organization XYZ paid a prize of $1,300. The winner would only give his name as J. Doe and did not provide proper identification. Organization XYZ should collect backup withholding of $364 ($1,300 x 28%), pay the winner $936 ($1,300 - 364), and file Form W-2G. If the winner had provided XYZ with proper identification (including social security number), no withholding would be required; however, the organization would still be required to file Form W-2G.

SINGLE PRIZE: The IRS considers all prizes won by one wager a single prize.

LIABILITY: The organization is liable for paying the applicable backup withholding to the IRS, regardless of whether or not it is collected from the prize winner. The best time to collect backup withholding is before the prize is paid! Organizations must report withholdings on Form 945 by January 31 of the following year.
Old 10-06-2009, 05:47 PM
hisjakeness
Racer

Originally Posted by vettedoogie
I want to talk with YOUR tax atty!

Quick Reply: What are the tax implications of winning a car in CM raffle?