C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Quick question on emissions post modifications

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2009, 01:59 PM
1Day
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Quick question on emissions post modifications

Since I am thinking of modding my car and would be extensive, I was wondering what happens, when emission time comes along?

I do not know how often are we suppose to get emission testing done? My car is an 06. If I am getting a new engine, headers and exhaust as a part of the mod, would it make it not pass emissions, if so how would one get around that when the time comes?
Old 09-26-2009, 07:06 AM
BlackZ51Vett
Le Mans Master

There's nothing in your profile, so no one knows where you live. That could have an effect whether your car would pass the visual part of a test. Right out the gate, you would fail federal emission standards with the long tube hedders. Moving the cats from their original location makes it illegal. I would wager to guess that if you fail you would be required to bring it into compliance to meet the smog check whether that means going through and putting you stock exhaust back on or whatever........
Old 09-26-2009, 09:03 AM
DSOMvette
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

As far as the exhaust goes, instead of long tubes find some Z06 manifolds and exhaust and they should pass inspection with the factory cats in place. Visual is hard to tell from your stock unless you know what to look for. Of course you will sacrifice a few ponys, but it may be worth it as opposed to the hassels of changing exhaust out every so often.
Old 09-26-2009, 09:51 AM
rdm1465
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well, I also have a 2006. Here in Ca. , the first 5 years, no smog check is required, if it is Ca. car. So, I am looking at 2011 for the first smog, for the 2012 registration.

Note: would it be worth it? Since I have a Nov. experation date. I mean you know, 12-21-2012? lol
Old 09-26-2009, 01:52 PM
BlackZ51Vett
Le Mans Master

If they catch you speeding or stop you for a loud exhaust do they do a roadside visual smog compliance check ? Seems to me that they were doing that several years ago (in Cal) when I lived out there..........Other than that, its a crap shoot if all that is worth 20-30 horsepower to you.......you cant use what you have already in a legal way so unless your tracking.............

Get notified of new replies

To Quick question on emissions post modifications

Quick Reply: Quick question on emissions post modifications