C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why is the stereo so bad?

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2009, 07:09 AM
2006c6keller
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Try this adjustment on FADE!

Originally Posted by jsmbluecar
My new Z06 sounds just as bad as my 2005. I pretty much quit listening to music in the car because the nav system stereo just really sucks.

So is this my imagination? Does anyone have a good recommendation for a way to punch up the sound?
First thing I would do is to move the FADE one or two notches to the rear, really improves the sound, may have to readjust for seat seat position. Also move ALL the tone adjustments to MAX.
Old 11-21-2009, 08:04 AM
07 Z51
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Vette Suspension
No such thing as a car audiophile. You can improve any sound with some money.

You obviously have never attended an IASCA competition. As a competitor (1991 - 2002) that placed at the world finals several times, I beg to differ with your first statement because of your second statement. If you are/were willing to make the modifications necessary to the vehicle to cure its inherent difficulties to reproducing sound, anything is possible. My system was set up for SQ and rivaled any home system that cost as much if not more.

My good friend still has his competition vehicle sitting in the garage. If you want to hear something that will blow you away (SQ, not just volume or boom boom boom), let me know. I'll set it up.

That being said, I am considering doing the Corvette over but for me to do it in a way that I could appreciate, it means spending tens of thousands of dollars.

Anyone looking for that "one man" shop, Jeffrey Smith in Atlanta Georgia is your man. That is where my car is going from here (NJ) if I choose to do it.
Old 11-21-2009, 08:27 AM
tomzarbo
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Good points...

Originally Posted by WAwatchnut
Actually, you're a little off the mark on this one. I worked in audio (car, home and pro) for quite a few years, and I have a friend who is an engineer for Bose. Bose is very much an engineering company. They've come up with many worthwhile technologies, many of which are widely copied.

The problem with Bose (and why the have a bad reputation with audio enthusiasts) is they engineer their products to maximize performance for the "masses". 90% of people buying audio equipment couldn't tell the difference between a Dynaudio tweeter and a paper cone tweeter. But those same people would say that something with more bass and bright and loud highs, sounds "better" than a tonally flat system.

Bose knows their target market - and most people are pretty happy with their 901's/Acoustimass/Wave radios. Personally, I think Bose's sound is twoards the bottom of my list, but they definitely are more than a marketing company.
I've owned a pair of older bookshelf Bose speakers, (20 years ago) and they sounded comparable to more expensive, better quality speakers of that time... even with their 3" tweeters. My former church uses a pair of their semi-line aray PA speakers with bandpass bass modules (large church) and they perform fantastically.

The problem I see with Bose of late is their use of cheaper, paper-coned full range drivers.

Bose uses electronic equalization in their products to compensate for the drivers lack of quality. Similar to using a multi-band equalizer to adjust for user preferences -- but to a much finer degree. This is how they can get a 2" or 3" cube pair to match up with a bass module without their being a huge 'hole' or gap in frequencies where the two intersect. You can only go so far with that without causing extreme distortion, and the harshness that exists in a paper-coned full range speaker such as Bose uses in the upper door areas of our beloved Corvette suffers from this problem.

I'm not bashing Bose, but they do tend to use very cheaply made speakers in their units. That fact makes it harder to get them to sound right. But, since the amp/equilization is already in place as the system is designed for each specific car, then additional adjustments to compensate for the lack of using a quality speaker are fairly easy... it just doesn't work as good as it could... My opinion.

Personally, I turn down the mid range a bit to remove some of that 'shouty' -ness to the vocals. It helps, but not completely. I guess I should disconnect the center speaker and give that a try. I'm sure it would improve the stereo imaging quite a bit.

TomZ
Old 11-21-2009, 09:05 AM
gilbybarr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,891 Likes on 796 Posts

Heck I must really be bad then, I have the very base base system with just the one slot for the CD and I think it sounds great! Stuff in a little Van Halen or ACDC with the top down and you can take on the world! Must be I ruined my hearing and music taste with those old 8 tracks in my '71 Bug!
Old 11-21-2009, 09:14 AM
bigterpsfan
Melting Slicks

Received 69 Likes on 28 Posts

My base stero sounds decent to me. I am wondering if the base might sound better than the Bose?
Old 11-21-2009, 10:01 AM
blazeone
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bigterpsfan
My base stero sounds decent to me. I am wondering if the base might sound better than the Bose?
Ding ding - we have winner.
Old 11-21-2009, 12:08 PM
SanDiegoBert
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by da vette guy
all i have is the base stereo in my base 08 and i think it sounds great...
I was prepared to start replacing components, but I found the base radio to be quite adequate. It's not a replacement for any home system, but it's fine for the C6.
Old 11-21-2009, 12:27 PM
StanNH
Le Mans Master

Received 1,221 Likes on 411 Posts

To my ears the bass is too muddy and the higher frequencies lack punch. It doesn't matter if you have a base C6 or a Z06, the stereo is the same.

On my car, I max out the treble and back off the bass. This at least makes it sound a bit more clear than with the controls at mid levels. It does sound much better with CD's and even with FM. XM is the worst for sound quality due to the compression of the downloaded signal.
Old 11-21-2009, 04:29 PM
2006c6keller
Safety Car

Default Just joking, what do you do about the pipes (exhaust)?

[QUOTE=Vette Suspension;1571563833]No such thing as a car audiophile. You can improve any sound with some money....

QUOTE]Just thinking and joking, what do you do about the noisy exhaust, I GUESS YOU JUST TURN THE ENGINE OFF? As you know, a catch 22, can't win for losing. Please do not take this seriously, can't have your cake and eat it to in a Vette. I prefer the driving to the radio, but I also like the radio, MAYBE THE ILEGAL HEADPHONES!
Old 11-21-2009, 04:47 PM
dkal70
Racer

Originally Posted by pvette
gm nav sucks i just trashed mine,instolled state of the art pioneer,and love it the model is avic-z1 10bt flash memory multimedia av navigation has everything you can immagine
Did you retain the bose amp speakers? Does the Pioneer Avic z110bt enhance the bose amp speakers?
Old 11-24-2009, 05:32 AM
07 Z51
Pro

Originally Posted by StanNH
To my ears the bass is too muddy and the higher frequencies lack punch. It doesn't matter if you have a base C6 or a Z06, the stereo is the same.

On my car, I max out the treble and back off the bass.
The bass is muddy in the C6 and the hi's are flat - "No Highs, no Lows, it must be Bose" (Blows).....

Only thing that will work is changing the system to have a good clean signal, premium drivers and possibly an upgrade as to speaker location. In car audio, it is location, location, location for staging and imaging; the rest is good signal and driver choice for your application. GM did the least it could do to get marginal sound in the car which is good for 90%+ of its target market. The rest of us want to stab our ear drums and/or the speaker cones.
Old 11-24-2009, 09:13 AM
Altc
Racer

My new Z06 sounds just as bad as my 2005. I pretty much quit listening to music in the car because the nav system stereo just really sucks.

So is this my imagination? Does anyone have a good recommendation for a way to punch up the sound?

I hear you but if you take a few hours with a good reference CD you can beat this. The equalizer can be adjusted stay away from the default settings.
Old 11-24-2009, 10:05 AM
bass mechanic
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

ok i posted in this thread early on before i actually had the car.
let me tell you that the whole problem with the factory system is the head unit. bose has also adjusted EQ inside the amp that makes it sound like crap.

here is what i did. installed a Kenwood DNX-9140 Head unit and set the EQ curve to boost the highs above 10k and cut the midrange a good deal. gave it about 1/2 gain on all the bass frequencies and presto!

you would not believe the sound using the stock bose speakers and stock bose amp.
im running 5 volt preamp signal right into the factory amplifier and there is no engine noise and it sounds great!
the only complaint is i would like to turn it up about 2 notches louder like when there is a good song on otherwise it sounds good enough not to waste any money messing with it.
Old 11-24-2009, 10:07 AM
Vette Suspension
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Altc
I hear you but if you take a few hours with a good reference CD you can beat this. The equalizer can be adjusted stay away from the default settings.
And a quick trip to the store for some Q-Tips wont hurt at all.
Old 11-24-2009, 10:22 AM
XSQUID
Instructor

Again, this is another of those "too each his own". After 22 years in the Navy around Steam Turbine machinery, I am probably lucky that I can hear at all. My Bose 6-CD system sounds great too me, but then again the base radio probably would too.
Old 11-24-2009, 12:49 PM
blackmachdown
Melting Slicks

Received 169 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by bass mechanic
ok i posted in this thread early on before i actually had the car.
let me tell you that the whole problem with the factory system is the head unit. bose has also adjusted EQ inside the amp that makes it sound like crap.

here is what i did. installed a Kenwood DNX-9140 Head unit and set the EQ curve to boost the highs above 10k and cut the midrange a good deal. gave it about 1/2 gain on all the bass frequencies and presto!

you would not believe the sound using the stock bose speakers and stock bose amp.
im running 5 volt preamp signal right into the factory amplifier and there is no engine noise and it sounds great!
the only complaint is i would like to turn it up about 2 notches louder like when there is a good song on otherwise it sounds good enough not to waste any money messing with it.
Just to back up kevin, I heard his set up and it sounds fabulous, If he hadn't told me he was using stock speakers i would have never guessed it!
Old 11-24-2009, 03:05 PM
Grzldvt1
Le Mans Master

Received 636 Likes on 342 Posts

Never liked the stock Bose system from the day I drove the car off the lot. Futzed with every control until I was blue in the face. I think I had the car 12 hours when I pulled the center dash speaker and that was in Oct 04. Helped but not what I wanted.
I replaced the Bose speaker system, and kept the HU, and found a VAST improvement. The HU still does not deliver what I am looking for, but close enough to not replace it just yet.
My neighbor(has a 2006) always gave me grief over what I did and said the Bose was great for him. About three weeks ago he heard my system, and is now pulling his Bose and duplicating what I have, in his car. He was simply blown away by the difference.
Another neighbor got in my car after they talked and said "Let's hear this sound system you have. After listening to it for a few minutes I got a "Holy Crap!!!!! I am in a rolling concert hall, this thing is amazing!!!"So for around $650 bux, I have a vastly improved stealth sound system.
Took me several tries/weeks to get everything lined up(gains, crossovers, etc) the way I wanted it. But worth every penny spent!!!!

Get notified of new replies

To Why is the stereo so bad?

Old 11-24-2009, 08:20 PM
lh4x4
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have an 02,05 and an 08. Not a single complaint with the sound system. I don't use them. I bought them to drive not as a music studio.

Listening to the stereo and fussing with the ***** is just as distracting as using a cell phone.
Old 11-25-2009, 04:57 PM
2006c6keller
Safety Car

Default Help sound and profile.

Please complete profile and we can help you more. Look at my post #101 on FADE, this could help you.
Old 11-27-2009, 12:01 AM
WMark
Melting Slicks

Received 172 Likes on 111 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11

Originally Posted by lh4x4
I have an 02,05 and an 08. Not a single complaint with the sound system. I don't use them. I bought them to drive not as a music studio.

Listening to the stereo and fussing with the ***** is just as distracting as using a cell phone.
No offense, bud, but some of us also "bought them to drive..." However, sometimes a little cruising, with some great tunes, might be appropriate.

Drop the macho cr*p and focus on the real complaint. GM charges top dollar for a "premium" sound system. Many paid for that option, and it doesn't deliver. That is the complaint.

Ain't got cr*p to do with your version of performance driving. Matter of dollar spent vs. value delivered.

Again, no offense!

Quick Reply: Why is the stereo so bad?