C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stuck in Park (Intermittently) - Help?

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2009, 01:32 PM
Y2K+1 Vette
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Stuck in Park (Intermittently) - Help?

All:

I apologize if this has been addressed elsewhere, but when I tried to do searches previously I could never find anything.

I have an '05 C6 coupe Z51 w/ automatic. On numerous occasions now, I've had trouble getting the car out of park after I start it. It's as if the shifter is stuck and will not release. Sometimes by pressing down on the shifter "button" over and over I can get it to release (or go down far enough to release), but sometimes I have to re-start the car and just keep trying unitl I can get it to move. I had thought it was something like the electronics not reading that the brake pedal was depressed (and would press and release it several times to see if it would change things), but there doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to it. I'm afraid that I'm gonna end up getting stuck somewhere.

The condition has gotten no worse, but no better either, over the last several months. It is very intermittent and I hate it. But I also hate having to take it to the dealer. It's my daily driver so I can't (and wouldn't) leave it there for any length of time. I was hoping to get some testimonials from others who may have had the problem as to exactly what it was and how to fix it so that I could tell the dealer (or a vette mechanic) and hopefully shorten it's visit with them.

I would appreciate any thoughts. Thank you.
Old 08-25-2009, 02:18 PM
Y2K+1 Vette
Instructor

ttt
Old 08-25-2009, 02:26 PM
herbie1057
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the same problem in my '05 A4. If I push the button down and go FORWARD with the shifter before going back for a gear it'll usually let me go. You have no idea how many times I have to walk to my car cause the valet attendant can't get it into gear. I am taking it to the dealer in the near future and will keep you posted.
Old 08-25-2009, 02:31 PM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,276 Likes on 935 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21-'22-'23-'24

Dealer had to replace the shifter on my 05 coupe after it did this about the 3rd or 4th time.
Old 08-25-2009, 09:37 PM
2006c6keller
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I had similar problems with my 06 C6 A6 and had to have the shifter changed out. Has been OK ever since.

Updated post, it was also stated that the selinoids were ocassionally sticking on my shifter.

Last edited by 2006c6keller; 08-26-2009 at 04:42 AM.
Old 08-25-2009, 10:02 PM
bob guzzy
Safety Car

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

There are a few things it might be but I think it may be the brake switch that releases the shifter, it is probably a tad out of adjustment.

When you step on the brake pedal a small solinoid pulls, and then the shifter will move, if you have a book handy you can see where it is, on my 94 it needed a bit of grease and after that it was fine.

It should be under the consil.
Old 08-26-2009, 04:45 AM
2006c6keller
Safety Car

See my post #5 about selinoids above. Thanks!
Old 08-26-2009, 10:45 AM
Y2K+1 Vette
Instructor

Where is the solenoid ? Is it something I can get to myself?

I don't have a shop manual.

Thanks.
Old 08-26-2009, 10:53 AM
c7joe
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

I have a 05 A4 and it has happened a couple of times. On mine, if I wait a couple of seconds after I start it, it will come out of park. There was only one time after idling for a long time in park that I had to restart the engine. I decided to live with it since it happens so seldom.
Old 08-26-2009, 11:13 AM
Silver Fox
Instructor

Originally Posted by Y2K+1 Vette
All:

I apologize if this has been addressed elsewhere, but when I tried to do searches previously I could never find anything.

I have an '05 C6 coupe Z51 w/ automatic. On numerous occasions now, I've had trouble getting the car out of park after I start it. It's as if the shifter is stuck and will not release. Sometimes by pressing down on the shifter "button" over and over I can get it to release (or go down far enough to release), but sometimes I have to re-start the car and just keep trying unitl I can get it to move. I had thought it was something like the electronics not reading that the brake pedal was depressed (and would press and release it several times to see if it would change things), but there doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to it. I'm afraid that I'm gonna end up getting stuck somewhere.

The condition has gotten no worse, but no better either, over the last several months. It is very intermittent and I hate it. But I also hate having to take it to the dealer. It's my daily driver so I can't (and wouldn't) leave it there for any length of time. I was hoping to get some testimonials from others who may have had the problem as to exactly what it was and how to fix it so that I could tell the dealer (or a vette mechanic) and hopefully shorten it's visit with them.

I would appreciate any thoughts. Thank you.
I had the same thing happen to my C6. The shift needs to be replaced. There is a solinoid in the shift mechanism that is not releasing the shift lever. You can hear it click when you step on the brake if it is working.
The solinoid can not be replaced by itself the whole shift mechanism needs to be replaced.
Old 08-26-2009, 11:17 AM
Ron one
Racer

Received 54 Likes on 20 Posts

My '06 A6 did the same thing when new. The dealer replaced the entire shifter and I've had no more problem. While "dealing" with the problem until replacement I learned that a sharp "slap" on the top of the shifter will release whatever stuck.

[B]NOTE[B]I said slap. Not hit or crush.

Good luck
Old 08-26-2009, 11:32 AM
Y2K+1 Vette
Instructor

If it turns out that I have to have the shifter replaced, anyone have a ballpark idea what something like that is going to cost me out of warranty? I haven't been to the dealer in ages (try to avoid that place if possible).

Also, for those who had it replaced, were there any problems with the install (i.e. is it something the dealer should be able to do without messing/scratching anything up)?

I really appreciate all of the input. Thanks.
Old 08-26-2009, 11:50 AM
Ron one
Racer

Received 54 Likes on 20 Posts

I had no problems what so ever.

As a matter of fact, the service manager met me when I picked up the car and apologized for the car being dirty but he wouldn't let his porters touch it.
Old 08-26-2009, 04:34 PM
2006c6keller
Safety Car

Where is the solenoid ? Is it something I can get to myself?

I don't have a shop manual.

Thanks.
Your welcome.

It is part of the shifter unit and I don't think it can be replaced. Per Y2K+1 Vette: "The solinoid can not be replaced by itself the whole shift mechanism needs to be replaced."
Old 08-26-2009, 07:50 PM
Silver Fox
Instructor

If it turns out that I have to have the shifter replaced, anyone have a ballpark idea what something like that is going to cost me out of warranty? I haven't been to the dealer in ages (try to avoid that place if possible).

Also, for those who had it replaced, were there any problems with the install (i.e. is it something the dealer should be able to do without messing/scratching anything up)?

I really appreciate all of the input. Thanks.
In my last post ( post #10 ) I forgot to mention the cost of replacing the shift mechanism.
part & labor was $461.53
Keep in mind that labor cost varies depending on were you live.
Old 09-26-2009, 10:44 PM
JT-C6
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03-'06-'08-'10-'11

Sounds like this thread applies to me too. I guess there is no TSB associated with this?
Old 04-01-2010, 09:35 PM
Tom Bixby
Cruising

I have been stuggling with this intermitently and my dealer does't know what to do if it doesn't do it in the bay when the code reader is hooked up. I can hear whether the solenoid has clicked or not but can't predict when or why. I had a service request with GM but after several months of telling me they would help they just denied it without ever getting even a diagnosis. I am in So California -Palm Desert- Does anybody know a dealer who KNOWS what to do and can refer me. I have gone to Jessup here and although the service reps are nice - Technical knowledge is WEAK.

Get notified of new replies

To Stuck in Park (Intermittently) - Help?

Old 04-01-2010, 09:43 PM
RicK T
Team Owner

Received 556 Likes on 452 Posts

Try asking about dealer references in the Southern Calif Regional Forum:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/southern-california-45/
Old 04-01-2010, 09:55 PM
rocklin-ron
Intermediate

Page 2-31 of the 2005 Owner Manual states: "If you cannot shift out of Park (P), ease pressure on the shift lever and push the shift lever all the way into Park (P) and release the shift lever button as you maintain brake application. Then press the shift lever button and move the shift lever into the gear you wish."

My 2005 A4 has occasionally not wanted to come out of park. I have never had any problem getting it to work by just pushing the shift lever toward the dash with my foot on the brake and no thumb pressure on the button as described above.
Old 04-01-2010, 10:50 PM
Tom Bixby
Cruising

Originally Posted by rocklin-ron
Page 2-31 of the 2005 Owner Manual states: "If you cannot shift out of Park (P), ease pressure on the shift lever and push the shift lever all the way into Park (P) and release the shift lever button as you maintain brake application. Then press the shift lever button and move the shift lever into the gear you wish."

My 2005 A4 has occasionally not wanted to come out of park. I have never had any problem getting it to work by just pushing the shift lever toward the dash with my foot on the brake and no thumb pressure on the button as described above.
Believe me I've tried all that and more. Consider yourself lucky.

Quick Reply: Stuck in Park (Intermittently) - Help?