C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Garages, garages & more garages....

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2009, 12:15 AM
Spying Beast
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Garages, garages & more garages....

Hey fellas, I just finished framing up my "Vette Cave", and wanted to know what you guys used to finish you garage up. I'm looking at cabinets, storage lockers, work benches, etc.

I've looked at Sears and Home Depot. Is there more options? Lets hear & see via pics what you used, why, and how it's performing. If you don't mind..... Oh, and final cost!

Thanks in advance!

Keith
Old 08-17-2009, 08:00 AM
designerRob
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Your best resource for garage tech is going to be garagejournal.com. there forum is fantastic and full of ideas.
Old 08-17-2009, 10:36 AM
TexasC6
Racer

I don't recall the pricing...I had it professionally installed.
http://www.slide-lok.com/

Before:

After:
Old 08-17-2009, 10:49 AM
Excind
Racer

I dont have pics but I can tell you in my experience a small bench or no bench works for me. What I do instead is to have a larger 42" sturdy tool box(mine is a stainless Kobalt) with the foam insert on top replaced with some 3/4" plywood and a 6" Wilson multi position vise mounted in the corner of it. I also have a peg board mounted behind and shop light above. It saves space for the other things you will want later like an air compressor, bench grinder etc.. I also have high mounted cabinets almost the full length of the side wall which allow me to store wash gear oils etc and underneath I store the jacks, jack stands and the creeper out of the way. While mine is not fancy, its functional. Oh the best thing about using the toolbox as a bench....its completely portable. Sometimes I run into the situation that I actually have to do more than minor maintenance outside and I just run the box out. Good luck and I look forward to seeing the finished product.
Old 08-17-2009, 12:18 PM
RLSebring
Supporting Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Pensacola Florida GO GATORS!!! www.rlsebring.com www.c6c7vette.com
Received 174 Likes on 92 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

Originally Posted by Spying Beast
Hey fellas, I just finished framing up my "Vette Cave", and wanted to know what you guys used to finish you garage up. I'm looking at cabinets, storage lockers, work benches, etc.

I've looked at Sears and Home Depot. Is there more options? Lets hear & see via pics what you used, why, and how it's performing. If you don't mind..... Oh, and final cost!

Thanks in advance!

Keith

Mmmmmm I though I could smell Kona Coffee perking this morning but I was wrong...

Man, I would hate to see the debit side of your checkbook for the past few months. Glad to see the money is going to very worthwhile projects. Good luck with the Garage. I am still in the plans sitting on the desk stage unfortunately.

2008 Vert

Owned since new in 2007

www.c6c7vette.com
Old 08-17-2009, 12:31 PM
mongooseC6
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I used Craftsman Professional line of steel cabinets. They are not cheap but not too far out of line, and I got them at 20% off on sale. They put them on sale often, sometimes only a few hours at a time, so I checked the internet every day for sales.

I used three tall storage cabinets, two wall cabinets, and one rolling chest of drawers. They lock, which is nice. The main thing I like is that they have shelves on the doors and you can store tons of things in them. I really like these cabinets a lot. I used my old wooden work benches that I have had for years. I like the look of old wood juxtaposed with the new steel silver/black cabinets.

Here are some pictures from back in the spring. I've done more work since then but no recent pictures. The third wall cabinet is not shown in these either.

SORRY for the duplicate pictures. Tried to delete the dups but I couldn't. I normally do better with photobucket than this.

In the fourth bay (not shown) I used some kitchen base cabinets and tiled the top for a work surface. Lots of drawers and storage space. This bay is mostly for show with not much work done in there.

Last edited by mongooseC6; 08-17-2009 at 01:41 PM.
Old 08-17-2009, 12:58 PM
CYOUL8ER
Racer

If you can find someone that does cabinets it is worth the time and expense to go custom. Or you can buy pre-fabbed cabinets and refinish them in the laminate of your choice you will truly end up with a unique project. For the floors a good epoxy system finished with flakes and a clear coat is amazing!

Old 08-17-2009, 01:22 PM
C6FirstVette
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I went with Sears cabinets/tool carriers, Snap On lift (is being replaced with 4 post lift this week), air compressor, UCoarIt floor treatment and of course finished walls etc and upgraded lighting (this is VERY important is you plan to do any work in the garage). Product lines such as garage tec is very costly...but if you like it then just pay the price of admission

Michael
Old 08-17-2009, 01:47 PM
mongooseC6
Drifting

Hey Michael, I like your cabinets!
Old 08-17-2009, 02:27 PM
jr3
Safety Car

Received 60 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by CYOUL8ER
If you can find someone that does cabinets it is worth the time and expense to go custom. Or you can buy pre-fabbed cabinets and refinish them in the laminate of your choice you will truly end up with a unique project. For the floors a good epoxy system finished with flakes and a clear coat is amazing!

I like your cabinets...

Is this a garage or operating room
Old 08-17-2009, 02:39 PM
C6FirstVette
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Thought you would Weren't they fun putting together But they are nice.
Old 08-17-2009, 04:07 PM
toxin440
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

here's mine

Sorry I couldn't resist... obviously that's not mine but how I wish I was the man that did own all of that.
Old 08-17-2009, 04:22 PM
IndyPacer
Burning Brakes

Received 37 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by toxin440
here's mine

Sorry I couldn't resist... obviously that's not mine but how I wish I was the man that did own all of that.
WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-17-2009, 10:01 PM
Excind
Racer

I wish I had half as nice of a garage as you guys do! REAL NICE gents!! Im definately jealous!
Old 08-17-2009, 11:39 PM
BearZ06
Le Mans Master

Received 1,374 Likes on 793 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17,'22-'23

Besides the obvious things, if possible hang a laundry type sink on the wall somewhere. It's very handy and helps keep the grime out of the house. If you can, put the air compressor above the garage and plumb the air down along with the compressor on/off switch.
Old 08-18-2009, 08:56 AM
mongooseC6
Drifting

Originally Posted by C6FirstVette
Thought you would Weren't they fun putting together But they are nice.
I was lucky. My son helped me assemble and tighten up all the cabinets. I like the cabinets more and more as time goes by and I am starting to use them. I can find ANYTHING now, I am so organized.
Old 08-18-2009, 09:06 AM
ohmy
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by toxin440
here's mine

thanks... now I feel so poor.... I think I live in the slums...

Get notified of new replies

To Garages, garages & more garages....

Old 08-18-2009, 10:04 PM
Spying Beast
Drifting

Wow! You guys have some serious set-ups....

Thanks for the ideas and insight gents, your efforts are greatly appreciated!

I really liked the stuff at Sears but DAM they were expensive.

I do have decent carpentry skills, and could make the cabinets without a problem, but time unfortunately is very valuable to me.

I think I'll wait for the 20% off sale at Sears and load up the wife's Sears card.....

And Robert, I have not forgotten about you brother man, promise! BTW, those black lamps you made for me are still the $hit... You are the man!!

Keith
Old 08-18-2009, 10:15 PM
C54TIM
Melting Slicks

As for cabinets, I hate plastic, and Fiber Board, so I chose metal cabinets, "Gladiator" by Whirlpool. I found them at Lowes. They have a complete garage system.

Plastic warps, and fiber board doesn't hold up very well during the wet months (moisture). I've had the metal cabinets for about three years and they still look new. Just my 2 cents worth.

Tim
Old 08-19-2009, 12:21 AM
FLACHUSNRET
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

I have a four car garage in my basement. My woodworking shop is also located in my 2800 sq.ft. basement. My most recent project in my shop was to build a mudroom bathroom (5'x8'). It has a full size shower, a deep utility sink which came with flimsy plastic legs. I disposed of the plastic legs and custom built a vanity cabinet in which I mounted the utility sink at a level several inches higher than normal so I don't have to bend over so much to wash hands. The vanity provides storage for towels and underwear. I use the shower whenever I get grimey and don't want to mess up our master bath. I installed only a urinal as I didn't want to have to add a grinder pump and bust up my slab as would be required if I added a toilet.
It is great to be able to go down to my shop or garage and not have to run back up stairs after my coffee runs its course.
There are many beautiful garages on here that would put mine to shame.

Quick Reply: Garages, garages & more garages....