C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Preparing for The Worst...

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2009, 05:41 PM
Wilzer
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Preparing for The Worst...

So if I have a blowout or mechanical failure and have to call a AAA tow, insist on flatbed of course, where would the best place be to have the tow jockey attach the hooks to pull my vette on the the bed? Just want to be the **** sorta SOB I am and make sure I don't get added damage from the tow
Old 08-16-2009, 06:01 PM
John Mclain
Racer

Getting it up on the bed is probably easier then tying it down correctly and transporting.

We need to hope that the bed driver is watching the pot holes on the way to the garage.

My previous C-5 was tied down to the bed by the rims, I ended up with Two Warped Rims.

If I ever have to flat bed again I hope I have the opportunity to ride with the driver or the means to follow the rig.
Old 08-16-2009, 06:02 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,047 Likes on 1,359 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Some people suggest using the frame slots, where we put lift pucks.
Keep in mind that many tow truck drivers are Neanderthals. A good one will take care of your car without your help, a bad one will rush in there and trash things while ignoring your commands.
Old 08-16-2009, 09:02 PM
REVAK
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Wilzer
So if I have a blowout or mechanical failure and have to call a AAA tow, insist on flatbed of course, where would the best place be to have the tow jockey attach the hooks to pull my vette on the the bed? Just want to be the **** sorta SOB I am and make sure I don't get added damage from the tow
For transport :
Straps over the tires works well. Straps on the lower control arms near the cross member is also good. A general rule is most points that can take cornering and ,or, braking stresses or loads are safe.

For pulling :
Straps are preferable to chains. Do not pull from a single point.
A strap on each lower control arm near the cross member, tied to a single cable to split the load. <
Old 08-16-2009, 09:04 PM
Bat Man
Team Owner

Received 32 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by John Mclain
Getting it up on the bed is probably easier then tying it down correctly and transporting.

We need to hope that the bed driver is watching the pot holes on the way to the garage.

My previous C-5 was tied down to the bed by the rims, I ended up with Two Warped Rims.

If I ever have to flat bed again I hope I have the opportunity to ride with the driver or the means to follow the rig.

, when I worked at ferrari we picked up and transported most of them by using cloth straps around the wheels. NEVER had a problem.
Old 08-16-2009, 09:05 PM
Bat Man
Team Owner

Received 32 Likes on 8 Posts

BTW: the truck driver should have some 2x10s at the very least to help get you up the ramp with out scraping.
Old 08-16-2009, 09:09 PM
bob guzzy
Safety Car

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

If you just have a blow out the tire is cooked anyway, so have the guy drive the car up the ramp after putting a few 2x6's on the ground to clear the bottom flap,

Then attach the nets over the wheels to hold the car down, there is no need to drag the car up if it still runs.
Old 08-17-2009, 01:50 PM
Wilzer
Instructor

Originally Posted by bob guzzy
there is no need to drag the car up if it still runs.
Thanks, didn't think of that

Get notified of new replies

To Preparing for The Worst...

Quick Reply: Preparing for The Worst...