C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I think I got keyed

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2009, 09:52 AM
moolys
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by 3LZZ06

I feel your pain brother... "some people just plain suck"
ask me how I know
Old 08-13-2009, 09:56 AM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,932 Likes on 4,812 Posts

Looks like a key job to me from the photos.
Old 08-13-2009, 01:10 PM
gsport
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

do you have kids?? my vote is from a bicycle.. i had the same thing happen to me about 20 years ago... i was ranting and raving to my wife about someone scratching my black toyota 4x4 when my son blurts out "dad, if you didn't park so close to the wall i could get my bike out"
Old 08-13-2009, 01:39 PM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by 07 Z51
Confirmation - Looks like you have been keyed.

From the pic, I cannot tell if it is past the clearcoat. If it is not, I can touch up the clear and buff out most if not all of it. If it is past the clearcoat and/or past the paint, you have two choices: 1) have it professionally touched up and wetsanded/buffed (will not be perfect) out OR 2) have a body shop shoot it.

Where are you in NJ? I would look at it for you and send you in the right direction. If it is buffable, I would gladly do it.

I had my own detail shop before selling it to attend law school. Now, it is a hobby for me - would be glad to try and help you out. PM me if you do not want to post your location publicly.
It may all come out. Get some 2500 grit paper and a cup of water and work slowly. Re drying it to see the progress. You don't buff anything till your done sanding. I had key mark down the whole side. Insurance looked
and paid for a paint job. It sanded out and looked better than the other side. Try it for sure, If You get red in your cup your screwed.
Old 08-13-2009, 02:04 PM
metal
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Looks too low on the car to me. I do not see your average AH bending over to key a car, but....
Old 08-13-2009, 02:15 PM
quickc6
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That sucks
Old 08-13-2009, 03:29 PM
z06clif
Le Mans Master

Received 383 Likes on 307 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike02Z
Looks a little low for a "key" job in my opinion. Do you ever leave it out? Maybe a small kids bike? It sucks just the same though. Sorry.
maybe a shopping cart? The kids around here took my valve stem covers.

Clif
Old 08-13-2009, 04:16 PM
superfast
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The damage has been done so you need to decide the next step. Before you take it into the shop, try this. Get a can of Turtle Wax Tar Remover from any local automotive stores, it has wax in it. Spray on a rag or directly on the scratch mark, wait for a minute or so then gently rub it with a soft towel. It will come right off and shine as new if it's not deep enough. You owe me lunch. Good luck.
Old 08-13-2009, 09:25 PM
madmxnj
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I haven't touched it with anything yet, still a little too bummed to think about it. I took another look at it; its deep. It catches my nail and then some. Pretty harsh contact. I think the Monterey Red goes on pretty thick; metallic base coat, tint coat, and clear coat. So it might be salvageable, I hope.

I'm a 6 footer. The scratch starts a couple of inches below my hand and ends about 5 inches below my hand. it could have been a short guy or kid. The thing is, I really don't take it too many places other than work. And at work I park in the extreme back of the lot (~600 people in my building) in the furthest lot. Nobody parks past me, except sometimes a buddy with his Shelby and I know he wouldn't do this; he's as sick about this as me. I have no kids. Nobody drives the car but me, nobody goes in the garage but me, the only thing on that side of the car is the electrical panel(haven't touched) and my ramps(which I only touch with the car in the driveway). I took it to a deli last week where I didn't have eyes on it for ~15 minutes. And here's where trouble may have happened, I took it to happy hour last week. I didn't park in the bar parking lot, no way do I park next to other cars. I parked a half block down the street in front of a closed luncheonette. The passenger side where the scratch is, was on the street side. The only thing I can think of is somebody walking by paid me a visit.

Here's a pic a few weeks ago after finishing the calipers and rotors.
Old 08-13-2009, 11:06 PM
ScottJ03
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default I too

Originally Posted by dvilin
Looks like a key job to me from the photos.

I was keyed too. I am handicapped and it just doesn't look right for acorvette to be parked there. So some A$$ will burn in hell.
I got it deep on rear quarter panel then lightly to the front fender.
I have never been soooooooooo frickin pissed an violated. I went back to see if there were cameras or if anybody saw something.

Then got bumped at stoplight.

Now I am putting WB kit and painting it all

Lowlifes!!!!!!! \ ARRRRGGGHHHH
Old 08-14-2009, 08:00 AM
BSE1956
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by gsport
do you have kids?? my vote is from a bicycle.. i had the same thing happen to me about 20 years ago... i was ranting and raving to my wife about someone scratching my black toyota 4x4 when my son blurts out "dad, if you didn't park so close to the wall i could get my bike out"

a bicycle pedal (in the up position) maybe?
Old 08-14-2009, 05:08 PM
mbonness
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry to hear about that. When my quarter panel got keyed it was two slash marks in the form of an "X" above the side reflector, so I guess it was a little more obvious than what happened to your car. Good luck with the repairs, hope everything goes well.

Quick Reply: I think I got keyed