C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ultra Simple PAL Installation planned

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2009, 01:42 PM
mdb917
Drifting

Received 37 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by mvcrash
I don't have an IPOD or a PAL, but if you can make it plug and play with your installation kit, count me in also.

Ditto...been waiting on a "simple" solution and this appears to be exactly what I'm wanting. Thanks for all your efforts, your reviews and helping us out!
Old 08-12-2009, 02:22 PM
SpyVet
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by kawal
Stan,

I'm really asking for interest right now, because I don't yet have access to the cables. It might even be a month or two, so I hate to have you wait. Maybe I'll know something later in the week, but I'll put something on the forum when I can.

Ray
Ray-
I understood that you were only polling interest in this installation possibilty. I have no problem is waiting since I have an interest in locating the IPOD next to the seat, especially until I can install an Elite Engineering tunnel plate to keep from cooking the IPOD in the console.

Ray 'n Vert owners-
As a matter of interest, I just went out and removed my waterfall, "dry-fit" my PAL to the top of the XM module with tape, and the waterfall fit back just fine, with plenty of clearance. So this looks like a go for y'all.
Old 08-12-2009, 02:57 PM
B-STOCK
Melting Slicks

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15, '17, '19

I will stick with MP3 CDRs until a simple hook up like this is marketed. I am in no hurry as long as it works as advertized. Good luck on this product & put me down for one when they are ready.
Old 08-12-2009, 03:02 PM
p35hp
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Email sent.
An added plus for this hook up would be that in the event the PAL had to be swaped out or pulled for testing, removal and reinstallation would be so much easier.
Old 08-12-2009, 03:30 PM
kawal
Emerging Vendor

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by SpyVet
Ray-
I understood that you were only polling interest in this installation possibilty. I have no problem is waiting since I have an interest in locating the IPOD next to the seat, especially until I can install an Elite Engineering tunnel plate to keep from cooking the IPOD in the console.

Ray 'n Vert owners-
As a matter of interest, I just went out and removed my waterfall, "dry-fit" my PAL to the top of the XM module with tape, and the waterfall fit back just fine, with plenty of clearance. So this looks like a go for y'all.
This is great news, since the PAL module is thicker than all of the aftermarket modules. It confirms a really simple solution for the convertibles, with a number of possible Ipod locations as well.

There may be some alternative locations for the coupe/Z06s as well, but I've got to work on that some more.

I'm hoping for a realistic date when I can actually ship harnesses. I'll post on the forum when I have some news.

Ray

Last edited by kawal; 08-12-2009 at 05:01 PM.
Old 08-12-2009, 03:30 PM
jwolfrom
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will definitely be interested - please let me know as soon as you are ready to go on the harnes(s).
Old 08-12-2009, 03:50 PM
kawal
Emerging Vendor

Originally Posted by kev1n
quick question also- are Yazaki connectors the same as Delphi ? I have the Delphi catalogue but cannot determine the exact harness to use for this kind of project. I know it uses Micro HVT - but the one I see use a round / barrel type female terminal and they mate to a part that would be soldered into a PCB on a device.
As far as I have found so far, neither Delphi nor Yazaki makes a mating connector for the female connector that plugs into the XM receiver. However, mating connectors do exist, but I can't yet confirm the brand.

What I hope to be using is an existing GM harness that I can simply modify by moving some terminals from one pin location to another to make it compatible with the Corvette wiring. The harness already has the male and female 16 pin mating connectors as well as the 16 pin Delphi connector to the PAL module. Here is a photo, courtesy of forum member John Beidl, who has also put considerable time into this project:

The harness is longer than necessary, but the excess length can be folded up and hidden.

Ray

Last edited by kawal; 08-12-2009 at 03:58 PM.
Old 08-12-2009, 04:56 PM
Fonzijr1964
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

IM in as long as you dont lose any functionality from the PAL or XM
Old 08-12-2009, 05:58 PM
EShapiro
Cruising

Default Count me in

I've been a little afraid of the official GM installation technique and have held off ordering the PAL. I would definitely be interested in this harness. Count me in, please.

Eric
Old 08-12-2009, 06:23 PM
beden1
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have the PAL unit, but have not installed as yet. I was actually now thinking about putting it in my '08 Tahoe with navigation instead of my ZO6. Does anyone know if this unit works with GM vehicles other than the Corvette?
Old 08-12-2009, 06:28 PM
04_Z06_CE
Safety Car

Iam for sure in
Old 08-12-2009, 07:25 PM
Fonzijr1964
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by beden1
I have the PAL unit, but have not installed as yet. I was actually now thinking about putting it in my '08 Tahoe with navigation instead of my ZO6. Does anyone know if this unit works with GM vehicles other than the Corvette?
they have a diff one for the tahoe
Old 08-12-2009, 08:14 PM
beden1
Drifting

Originally Posted by Fonzijr1964
they have a diff one for the tahoe
Thanks for the response.

I'm interested in getting the simple PAL install piece as well then.
Old 08-12-2009, 08:58 PM
Bumble_Bee
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am also interested.

Why didn't the design engineers consider this installation method?
Old 08-12-2009, 09:31 PM
B-STOCK
Melting Slicks

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15, '17, '19

Originally Posted by Bumble_Bee
I am also interested.

Because most people wouldn't need the dealer to install it. $$$$
Old 08-12-2009, 09:40 PM
kawal
Emerging Vendor

Originally Posted by Bumble_Bee
I am also interested.

Let me stick up for the design engineers here. This installation method was considered, but unlike aftermarket designs, a General Motors design must meet much stricter installation requirements. A General Motors accessory must be designed to be the same quality as original equipment.

In the case of the PAL, just one of the issues was where to mount the PAL module. To be "OEM quality", the PAL module would fit down in the electrical panel where the installation instructions direct the GM Tech to install it. The module is adhered to the electrical panel with the same quality of construction as other GM components.

Aftermarket components have no such restrictions. You can duct tape their module to the back of the seat if you are so inclined. Electrically, it will work just fine, but it obviously isn't an OEM quality installation. For an aftermarket Ipod adapter, the module is installed at the XM receiver location, but there is no way to "professionally" mount the module to OEM standards. It is small enough that it will fit behind the carpet or behind the waterfall, but the module is just held in place with the wiring or a tie strap. This is adequate for most of us wanting an accessory, understanding that it is not really an OEM installation.

When using this new XM receiver installation, you will be installing the PAL module just like an aftermarket module. There will be no OEM mounting bracket to mount the module. It will simply be hidden behind the carpet in the case of the coupe/Z06s or adhered to the XM receiver in the convertible. It will work exactly the same as if the PAL module was mounted down in the electrical panel, but it will be far easier to install.

If the PAL could have been designed when the original C6 Corvette was designed, it could easily have been incorporated. But considering that the PAL came along a few years after the first C6, the design engineers did a pretty darn good job, in my opinion, with the constraints they had to work with.

GM also assumed that most owners would have their dealer install the PAL. But as we forum members know, many Corvette owners would rather keep their Vettes away from the dealers and do the work themselves whenever possible. This new installation method will make it a snap for the do-it-yourselfer.

Ray
Old 08-12-2009, 09:44 PM
JT-C6
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03-'06-'08-'10-'11

I would be interested in this. PM me if it ever becomes reality because I'm likely not buying a PAL until this process is easier.

Get notified of new replies

To Ultra Simple PAL Installation planned

Old 08-12-2009, 09:57 PM
Vettlldo
Melting Slicks

I would be interested. The existing USA-SPEC iPod connection in my convertible is at the XM module behind the center waterfall. It currently charges the iPod as well.
Old 08-13-2009, 08:48 AM
ALVetteFan
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

This is great news, since the PAL module is thicker than all of the aftermarket modules. It confirms a really simple solution for the convertibles, with a number of possible Ipod locations as well.

There may be some alternative locations for the coupe/Z06s as well, but I've got to work on that some more.

I'm hoping for a realistic date when I can actually ship harnesses. I'll post on the forum when I have some news.

Ray
Ray,

Since there is room for the PAL module to fit on the XM box behind the waterfall, I am interested in this solution too. I sent you an e-mail.

Thanks for all of your efforts on this project.

Richard
Old 08-13-2009, 11:07 AM
09C6Coupe
Racer

As far as I have found so far, neither Delphi nor Yazaki makes a mating connector for the female connector that plugs into the XM receiver. However, mating connectors do exist, but I can't yet confirm the brand.
I don't know exactly which connector you are looking for but it maybe in this Yazaki Supplemental Catalog. I think Pages 2 to 4 may have what you need.

http://www.yazaki-na.com/uploads/YES...Supplement.pdf

Quick Reply: Ultra Simple PAL Installation planned