C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

car lifts in garage

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2009, 01:50 AM
Racer
Team Owner

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '11

Originally Posted by Classic-Chevy-Guy
I order to have a storage lift in the garage, you need at least three requirements:

1) Enought height in the garage to handle the height of both cars and the lift. Most lift sites have a list of the calculation.

2) You need to "retrack" the garage doors so that they hug the ceiling of the garage.

3) You might need to go from a center lift garage door opener (typical sears-type mounted in the center of the ceiling) to a "jack shaft" garage door opener which runs off of the lift springs just above the closed garage door opener. It turns the pulley via a gear, rather than pulling up the garage door from the center. Check Liftmaster site for an example.

My .02. Email me if you have any questions.
1. Correct
2. incorrect
3. incorrect

Old 10-08-2009, 06:18 PM
VRedZ06
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

Default Lift that can also be a work lift.

Great Post, I was going to post the same subject. I do have one more requirement.

I would like the option to use the lift as a work lift. Has anyone also purchased a lift that you could suspend the car and take the wheels off to work on suspensions etc?

I'm ready to buy.

ErnieO

Last edited by VRedZ06; 10-08-2009 at 08:36 PM.
Old 10-08-2009, 06:42 PM
tmjvett2009
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11

Bend Pak here love it (4 post)
Old 10-09-2009, 12:38 AM
Runnn
Pro

Received 91 Likes on 48 Posts

Backyard Buddy on order... will post pics once I receive it.
Old 10-09-2009, 06:15 AM
NDAWIND
Instructor

Here’s an example of jackshaft openers and high tracks in my shop. Used scissor trusses to maximize interior height without over powering existing house. House has 8’ walls, shop 10’ but you can’t tell by the way it is offset and 50’ away.

Old 10-09-2009, 07:44 AM
Classic-Chevy-Guy
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 273 Likes on 161 Posts

Alot of the lift vendors sell a Jacking Tray as an option. It fits between the treads of the lift and allows you to place a jack on the tray and jack up either the front or rear end.

I use a scissor lift and then jack stands when I am doing any wheel work. I think that there a air lifts also.

Good luck.

Originally Posted by VRedZ06
Great Post, I was going to post the same subject. I do have one more requirement.

I would like the option to use the lift as a work lift. Has anyone also purchased a lift that you could suspend the car and take the wheels off to work on suspensions etc?

I'm ready to buy.

ErnieO
Old 10-09-2009, 07:52 AM
RyanC7
Le Mans Master

Received 84 Likes on 58 Posts

i have a direcpark 7 and I had to have a shaft side mounted garage door opener installed.
Old 10-09-2009, 10:31 AM
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Damn you guys. Now you got me interested in a lift again.

My question (I'm at work).....what is the height of a C6 Vert and a C3 Coupe?

Thanks in advance.
Old 10-09-2009, 10:44 AM
jh225
Le Mans Master

Received 69 Likes on 35 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

Another question you need to ask yourself is 2 post or 4 post. As you can see, a bunch of guys here got the 4 post drive on style. That will get you easy storage for 2 vehicles but when you are looking to do undercar or tire work, you are VERY limited due to the design. Some people get the hydraulic pumps to lift the tires.

A 2 post will offer slightly less stable long term storage ability, but will afford a vast improvement in working on the vehicle. Pretty much comes down to your personal needs.

Of course the real answer would be "get both"
Old 10-09-2009, 01:16 PM
HAD2HAV2
Melting Slicks

Received 292 Likes on 235 Posts

jh225,
I don't have a lift YET but will soon.
I agree with the 4 post design giving difficult access to the under carriage. So what is meant by"less stable long term storage" for a 2 post? 2 post seems to be the way to go

Last edited by HAD2HAV2; 10-09-2009 at 01:17 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 10-09-2009, 01:43 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by 70454
Damn you guys. Now you got me interested in a lift again.

My question (I'm at work).....what is the height of a C6 Vert and a C3 Coupe?

Thanks in advance.
My 09 Z06 is 49" and my 64 C2 coupe is 50". Those should be close to your cars. Remember, most lifts have locks on 5 or 6" centers so you have to always go to the next lock height. For example my lifts are ......48", 53", 58' etc so both the C6 and C2 have to have the ramps locked in the 53" position( if they are under the lift. So, in my case if I have the C6 under and the C2 on top, the measurement would be 53" + 4"(thickness of the ramps) + 2"(overtravel to set locks) + 50" plus 1" clearance to ceiling from the top of the C2 = 110" minimum ceiling height.
Old 10-09-2009, 02:23 PM
cencalc6
Melting Slicks

Received 17 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by JoesC5
My 09 Z06 is 49" and my 64 C2 coupe is 50". Those should be close to your cars. Remember, most lifts have locks on 5 or 6" centers so you have to always go to the next lock height. For example my lifts are ......48", 53", 58' etc so both the C6 and C2 have to have the ramps locked in the 53" position( if they are under the lift. So, in my case if I have the C6 under and the C2 on top, the measurement would be 53" + 4"(thickness of the ramps) + 2"(overtravel to set locks) + 50" plus 1" clearance to ceiling from the top of the C2 = 110" minimum ceiling height.
Thanks buddy for those measurements I just received my lift but I don't have my car at the moment...gives me an idea were to mount the lift
Old 10-09-2009, 03:15 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by cencalc6
Thanks buddy for those measurements I just received my lift but I don't have my car at the moment...gives me an idea were to mount the lift

If you're tight on ceiling height, you might want to do as I did. I keep my 56, with the removable hart top on, on top of one of my lifts. I'm just shy a couple of inches of being able to raise the list to it's top position without ramming the 56's hardtop into the ceiling. I cut a 1'' heavy wall water pipe 5'' long(making sure the ends were square to the bore) and slipped it over the hyd cyl shaft, before I assembled the plate that secures the cables. That way the hyd cyl will bottom out before my car hits my ceiling. Of, course, if you don't have any senior moments, disregard.
Old 10-09-2009, 03:19 PM
MechaMunch
Intermediate

Originally Posted by IndyPacer
I've got two 4 post lifts, the first i bought 6 years ago was an Autolifter M6. It was a good american made lift with all the good heavy locking mechanisms and I paid $2200 for it. The second one I just bought from BYB and it has the same quality, probably better than the first but it was $4200. Six years and the increased price of steel were the difference. I would not get under a Chinise lift for all the tea in China! I would recommend the BYB but you pay for quality and piece of mind. Go to their website, they have an excellent vidio on comparing theirs to one of the Chinese lifts.
Here’s my problem with Backyard Buddy.

1. Price. For the lift that you are getting, it’s just ridiculous to pay that much for a non-certified lift.

2. Their attitude towards certification. For what they sell their lifts for and for how great and safe they claim to be, I’m surprised that they summarily refuse to get the darned things certified. When asked directly about that (check the GarageJournal thread below), they tried to spin non-compliance as some sort of benefit to the user:
http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...d+buddy&page=2

That kind of response led me to believe that the mouthpieces of BYB must think I’m somewhat of a moron. I don’t like it when people think I’m somewhat of a moron…even if I am!

3. Their marketing in general (as others have mentioned) is really strange and negative. They do give the impression that standing under any other lift is a threat to your health and that buying anything manufactured in China makes you some sort of a traitor. At the same time, they test their lifts by ramming them with a forklift and running it around the shop without casters on…

4. That VIDEO with Jason Wood. I don’t know Jason Wood or really anything about the guy except something about him seems to drip sleaze. If you watch the entire Backyard Buddy video, you’ll also see that at key parts (where he winks knowingly at the camera) the sound drops out. *shiver* I can only imagine what libel atrocity dripped forth from his maw. http://www.autolift.org/buyer_beware.htm

BendPak also did a pretty thorough job of addressing BYB’s claims. Not quite as flashy as that video, but still a good read http://www.asedeals.com/backyardbuddy_bendpak.pdf

The sad thing is that they might very well be selling a killer product and made in USA too which is really nice when you can get it. They are just rubbing me totally the wrong way with their pricing and marketing. BendPak, Rotary, Mohawk (made in USA!)…all ALI certified and don’t make me feel sick.

Anyways, not here to smear them and sorry for the ranting. Clearly I have way too much time on my hands…

Last edited by MechaMunch; 10-09-2009 at 03:22 PM.
Old 10-09-2009, 07:51 PM
jh225
Le Mans Master

Received 69 Likes on 35 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

Originally Posted by HAD2HAV2
jh225,
I don't have a lift YET but will soon.
I agree with the 4 post design giving difficult access to the under carriage. So what is meant by"less stable long term storage" for a 2 post? 2 post seems to be the way to go
Theoretically speaking, a 2 post lift would inherently be less stable with a car on it due to just 4 small pads at the end of 4 arms supporting the vehicle. Should the car get rocked, knocked, etc. by whatever means, it MAY be enough to cause the car to slip and fall. Also theoretically is the stress put upon the 4 lifting arms which have constant force placed on them while the car is in the air. Metal fatigue or flaw and the car could come crashing down. Will it ever happen, I doubt it. More likely to happen is the car to come crashing down due to poor set up. This happens in shops all the time and I personally have witnessed it twice. Once when the Mitubishi factory regional rep was looking at my car and the brand new top of the line Montero came crashing down in the next bay. (Rep immediately approved my fix )

A 4 post is inherently more stable at raised height just because the car is completely supported on the drive on tracks.

My vote would be 4 post for strictly storage use and 2 post for a working lift.
Old 10-09-2009, 08:31 PM
YLOFEVR
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11

Default Be safe--buy American!

Originally Posted by IndyPacer
I've got two 4 post lifts, the first i bought 6 years ago was an Autolifter M6. It was a good american made lift with all the good heavy locking mechanisms and I paid $2200 for it. The second one I just bought from BYB and it has the same quality, probably better than the first but it was $4200. Six years and the increased price of steel were the difference. I would not get under a Chinise lift for all the tea in China! I would recommend the BYB but you pay for quality and piece of mind. Go to their website, they have an excellent vidio on comparing theirs to one of the Chinese lifts.
Old 10-29-2009, 02:30 PM
MechaMunch
Intermediate

Originally Posted by jh225
Another question you need to ask yourself is 2 post or 4 post. As you can see, a bunch of guys here got the 4 post drive on style. That will get you easy storage for 2 vehicles but when you are looking to do undercar or tire work, you are VERY limited due to the design. Some people get the hydraulic pumps to lift the tires.

A 2 post will offer slightly less stable long term storage ability, but will afford a vast improvement in working on the vehicle. Pretty much comes down to your personal needs.

Of course the real answer would be "get both"
I don't think stability is actually an issue when considering 2 or 4 post. The question is: "Do I want to park something under it?"

If you do, then you are likely best off with a 4-post. It's true it's nice to work on wheels when they are just hanging in the air, but that's what bridge jacks are for.

Get notified of new replies

To car lifts in garage

Old 11-14-2009, 06:16 PM
acf5678
Instructor

Originally Posted by MechaMunch
Here’s my problem with Backyard Buddy.

1. Price. For the lift that you are getting, it’s just ridiculous to pay that much for a non-certified lift.

2. Their attitude towards certification. For what they sell their lifts for and for how great and safe they claim to be, I’m surprised that they summarily refuse to get the darned things certified. When asked directly about that (check the GarageJournal thread below), they tried to spin non-compliance as some sort of benefit to the user:
http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...d+buddy&page=2

That kind of response led me to believe that the mouthpieces of BYB must think I’m somewhat of a moron. I don’t like it when people think I’m somewhat of a moron…even if I am!

3. Their marketing in general (as others have mentioned) is really strange and negative. They do give the impression that standing under any other lift is a threat to your health and that buying anything manufactured in China makes you some sort of a traitor. At the same time, they test their lifts by ramming them with a forklift and running it around the shop without casters on…

4. That VIDEO with Jason Wood. I don’t know Jason Wood or really anything about the guy except something about him seems to drip sleaze. If you watch the entire Backyard Buddy video, you’ll also see that at key parts (where he winks knowingly at the camera) the sound drops out. *shiver* I can only imagine what libel atrocity dripped forth from his maw. http://www.autolift.org/buyer_beware.htm

BendPak also did a pretty thorough job of addressing BYB’s claims. Not quite as flashy as that video, but still a good read http://www.asedeals.com/backyardbuddy_bendpak.pdf

The sad thing is that they might very well be selling a killer product and made in USA too which is really nice when you can get it. They are just rubbing me totally the wrong way with their pricing and marketing. BendPak, Rotary, Mohawk (made in USA!)…all ALI certified and don’t make me feel sick.

Anyways, not here to smear them and sorry for the ranting. Clearly I have way too much time on my hands…

Can anyonw reccommend 1 or 2 different 4 posts lifts that they would reccommend? Safety would be my 1st consideration.

Thanks.
Old 11-14-2009, 08:13 PM
timd38
Race Director

Received 181 Likes on 162 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by gsport
i have a dannmar four post lift and i'm totally happy with it... check out costco.com and in the search box type in "dannmar" the great thing about costco is the free shipping and it says in the ad if you aren't happy with it you can return it to any costco warehouse..
I have the same on and am very happy.

Old 11-14-2009, 08:21 PM
SleepDr
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

[quote=Mark VerMurlen;1571736984]I've got a Backyard Buddy lift in my garage. I really like it. Here' are a couple of pictures.

Something is wrong in the middle picture

Quick Reply: car lifts in garage