C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another dealer horror story - what to do now

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2009, 11:00 AM
FortMorganAl
Le Mans Master

Location: Currently somewhere in IL,IN,KY,TN,MO,AR,MS,AL, or FL
Received 229 Likes on 188 Posts

Default Another dealer horror story - what to do now

As some of you know I believe most dealerships are incompetent thieves. But people keep reporting here what great dealers they have that give them free inspections that luckily found their framus connector was loose and for $300 they would tighten it... So I've got a seat that doesn't always move automatically, a one time air bag warning light, and the universal rear end clunk/grinding/popping and I figure I will take it to a large Chevy dealer that I haven't been to in 20 years. They sell quite a few Corvettes and support the local Corvette club. How bad can it be? I get the car back and the seat is working (that lasted for 24 hours before it quit again), the air bag light isn't lit (it only lit once before), and the rear is quiet. I also have 2 cracked rocker panels.

When I went in I was very polite but insistent that they do use jacking pucks, don't they? Oh, yes, I was assured. They knew all about using pucks on newer Corvettes. I pointed out that just in case they didn't, I brought a set of 4 and would leave them on the passenger seat. No, need, I was assured, they always use them. Later, when I pointed out the cracked rockers the comment was "I've never seen anything like that before." They also dinged the paint in several places on the passenger door and both rockers.

They got a manager to look at them and quickly agreed to have their body shop repair the cracked rockers. So here's my question: should I let them fix the rockers or should I just quit while I'm not too far behind?
Old 08-09-2009, 11:10 AM
CORVETTE2009
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default They don't care

I've got a new 09 C6, but my previous ride was a Pontiac Solstice. The Solstice had the same vunerability and the only time I took it to the dealer (recall) I stayed with it to watch them. I am not looking foward to any maintenance on the vette.

As far as your damaged rockers, I'd make them fix them and be as "picky" as possible until fixed to your satisfaction. Good luck.
Old 08-09-2009, 11:29 AM
DSOMvette
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

As far as your damaged rockers, I'd make them fix them and be as "picky" as possible until fixed to your satisfaction. Good luck.[/QUOTE]

Took mine in for a gas cap recall and being an 05 pointed out that who ever drives it to be sure and put it in reverse to shut down the ignition or it would run the battery down in a couple hours. She the Service manager looked at me with this deer in the head lights look and said yea ok. I said I am serious and she still kinda like yea what ever. A few hours later came back to pick up the car and you guessed it, it was parked without being in reverse, radio was on dont even think they knew how to shut it down. Fortunatly battery was up enough to start it, thought about going back in to complain but figured it wasnt worth my time to say anything. Some just dont have a clue that maybe just maybe the customer might know what they are talking about.
Old 08-09-2009, 11:34 AM
VettedCandidate
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by FortMorganAl
As some of you know I believe most dealerships are incompetent thieves. But people keep reporting here what great dealers they have that give them free inspections that luckily found their framus connector was loose and for $300 they would tighten it... So I've got a seat that doesn't always move automatically, a one time air bag warning light, and the universal rear end clunk/grinding/popping and I figure I will take it to a large Chevy dealer that I haven't been to in 20 years. They sell quite a few Corvettes and support the local Corvette club. How bad can it be? I get the car back and the seat is working (that lasted for 24 hours before it quit again), the air bag light isn't lit (it only lit once before), and the rear is quiet. I also have 2 cracked rocker panels.

When I went in I was very polite but insistent that they do use jacking pucks, don't they? Oh, yes, I was assured. They knew all about using pucks on newer Corvettes. I pointed out that just in case they didn't, I brought a set of 4 and would leave them on the passenger seat. No, need, I was assured, they always use them. Later, when I pointed out the cracked rockers the comment was "I've never seen anything like that before." They also dinged the paint in several places on the passenger door and both rockers.

They got a manager to look at them and quickly agreed to have their body shop repair the cracked rockers. So here's my question: should I let them fix the rockers or should I just quit while I'm not too far behind?
I would ask for proof (like names/pictures) of previous C6 Corvette body repair work they have done. Best of luck...I've had dealers who didn't know about pucks...fortunately there was no damage.
Old 08-09-2009, 11:40 AM
BlackZ51Vett
Le Mans Master

Have the dealer fix it....how many C6's do you think your local body shop has seen ?????
Old 08-09-2009, 11:48 AM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,937 Likes on 4,816 Posts

I would speak with the bodyshop manager, discuss your concerns and ask if there are any corvette owners of cars they repaired you could speak with, to relieve some of your uneasiness.
Old 08-09-2009, 12:04 PM
BenThere
Team Owner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It all depends on who does the fixing. I rarely trust dealers for that kind of body work, but some are pretty good. It's much better to do some research on who in your area has experience on Vettes and see if the dealer will send the car there. One thing for sure, I'd do some "veting" before finally getting the work done. Get it fixed, but be very picky.

Good luck. I hope you can get through this without too much pain.
Old 08-09-2009, 06:22 PM
FortMorganAl
Le Mans Master

Location: Currently somewhere in IL,IN,KY,TN,MO,AR,MS,AL, or FL
Received 229 Likes on 188 Posts

Originally Posted by BenThere
It all depends on who does the fixing. I rarely trust dealers for that kind of body work, but some are pretty good. It's much better to do some research on who in your area has experience on Vettes and see if the dealer will send the car there. One thing for sure, I'd do some "veting" before finally getting the work done. Get it fixed, but be very picky.

Good luck. I hope you can get through this without too much pain.
Ah... there's the rub. I wouldn't have gone to this dealer if they weren't already the most experienced in the area. I doubt anyone within 150 miles sells more Corvettes. The area Corvette club is sponsored by and meets at this dealership.

20 years ago I had this dealership do some painting and they did a good job. But 20 years ago the repair side was just as incompetent when it comes to knowing anything about Corvettes. At this point I'm really worried the body shop thinks they will just order some new rockers, paint them, and bolt them on. I seriously doubt they have any idea how the rockers are attached. Maybe I'm just being a pessimist but that is why I asked about just cutting my losses and moving on.
Old 08-09-2009, 06:30 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,490 Likes on 1,951 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

To really make this labor intensive, why not ask to talk the person who will be doing the "repairs?" Ask them a lot of general questions and see what they know. If they know nothing as you think, don't get it done there. If they seem to know what they're talking about, then it's your decision.

Let's put it this way: even if they sponsor the local club, doesn't this demonstrate that they don't know what they're doing with respect to repairs? It does to me. And if that's the case, even if the body shop supposedly answers your questions correctly, you would have faith in them being able to deliver?

I would find a good, competent, knowledgeable, local (or even not so local--I have no idea where you reside and I'd guess that's intentional on your part) body shop that does Vettes. They do exist; you might have to travel for one, depending on where you live. That's the price.
Old 08-09-2009, 06:34 PM
Bat Man
Team Owner

Received 32 Likes on 8 Posts

Well they can't do a worse job than the factory did on the paint.
Old 08-09-2009, 06:48 PM
GCD1962
Race Director

Received 162 Likes on 123 Posts

The reality is that GM should not produce cars unless EVERY dealer has the knowledge and qualified personel to service the cars. There is simply no excuse for one dealer to do the work correctly and another to do crap work. This does not happen if you buy a BMW, Mercedes, Toyota, etc. ( I have two late model Corvettes a C-5 and C-6, and the only foreign make I own is my wifes Mini)
Old 08-09-2009, 07:11 PM
pmj341
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10

It's bad, but I tend to agree with most of the Guys, Dealers are incompetent!!!
I never have gone back to the dealer, I would rather do it myself!!!
Not even Warranty Work!!
Old 08-09-2009, 07:29 PM
miltseewald
Intermediate
Support Corvetteforum!

After your repair is completely completed to your satisfaction I would go the the Corvetteclubn meeting and make known your experience with this dealer. That may get his attention and save other owner grief.
Old 08-09-2009, 07:32 PM
danl72
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Valleybacker
Well they can't do a worse job than the factory did on the paint.
That is true.
Old 08-09-2009, 07:41 PM
Mad*Max
Race Director

Received 1,508 Likes on 820 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021

To the OP, I would just cut my losses and call it a day. I just took in my car to the largest Corvette dealer in Canada for warranty work and the steering wheel came back with a chunk of the leather missing. Also, the ignition switch is not properly flush anymore. These guys are just a bunch of morons, don't take further chances by having them do bodywork on your car.

Originally Posted by GCD1962
This does not happen if you buy a BMW, Mercedes, Toyota, etc.
Only if you knew...they are all the same.
Old 08-09-2009, 08:00 PM
CHASLS2
Team Owner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '13

My C6 has never seen a dealer since the day i bought it. I will only use my local tuner to do any work on my C6. It's nice to know i can leave my Vette in good hands.
Old 08-09-2009, 08:04 PM
dpigguy
Safety Car

Received 147 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by dvilin
I would speak with the bodyshop manager, discuss your concerns and ask if there are any corvette owners of cars they repaired you could speak with, to relieve some of your uneasiness.
then I would let them fix the damage. they at least stepped up and acknowledged the damage as being their fault so give them a chance to make it right. if they don't do it correctly, then you can go to your own body shop and get a lawyer, etc..... sometimes one person with a dealership can do something stupid so let them prove they deserve your business. jmho

Get notified of new replies

To Another dealer horror story - what to do now

Old 08-09-2009, 08:29 PM
torquetube
Le Mans Master

Received 659 Likes on 477 Posts

Default Get out of there

Originally Posted by FortMorganAl
Maybe I'm just being a pessimist but that is why I asked about just cutting my losses and moving on.
Which is your primary goal, having the car repaired properly, or making this particular dealer fix their mistake?

I'm guessing the former, in which case I'd take it to whoever is known for doing the best job within, say, 250 miles. That's what you want.

As for justice, hand the screw-ups at the dealership the bill. If they won't pay it, sue them, or walk away, but either way your car will have been fixed properly.
Old 08-09-2009, 08:36 PM
torquetube
Le Mans Master

Received 659 Likes on 477 Posts

Originally Posted by dpigguy
then I would let them fix the damage. they at least stepped up and acknowledged the damage as being their fault so give them a chance to make it right. if they don't do it correctly, then you can go to your own body shop and get a lawyer, etc..... sometimes one person with a dealership can do something stupid so let them prove they deserve your business. jmho
If they make him use their bodyshop then they don't deserve his business.

Somebody who doesn't pay attention to how they lift ANY car - Corvette, Countach, Camry, Civic, doesn't matter - has no business being a mechanic. This is first-day, fundamental stuff.

And who in his right mind would lift off a body-color painted, clearcoated surface? Twice?
Old 08-09-2009, 08:39 PM
tolnep
Pro

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

ah.. the great corvette conundrum..

you have a expensive automobile, with some delicate and special parts and when you take it in to get it fixed, it might be the next vehicle the kid (who worked at jabber-lube until he got his bud to get him on at the local chebby dealer) currently changing the oil in an old aveo works on... and he needs to move fast cause it aint about how good you do it its about how many jobs you can get done on your shift...

scary scary stuff.. and add to it fear and loathing in the GM/obama motors world and sometimes you wish you'd bought that bmer instead... (at least they pretend to treat you special)...

Quick Reply: Another dealer horror story - what to do now