C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Would this bother you?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2009, 06:45 PM
AHW219
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TBonez
Guys this is ,

This is like the first thread ever where I have to honestly say, shame on you. Can you imagine if you were scrutinized this way at your job? I mean come on... 192 miles.... its nothing, especially when cars today average easily over 100,000. Your sharp-shooting 192, thats crazy.

I would not harass this guy if this was a good deal. You stated you got better pricing than the local dealership so your already getting a deal. The car is still brand new.

Buy the car from him and be happy with your great deal. 192 miles is really nothing... I mean REALLY nothing...
First of all Jeff is not comfortable therefore regardless of how we all feel it is irrelevant. If you are buying something brand new, especially 50K+ car you have certain expectations. If what is presented does not fulfill your expectations by all means walk away. There are MANY MANY more out there that you can buy that won't leave a bad after taste. IMO 192 miles on a brand new sports car is not a BS. That is approx 40% of break in period mileage. How do you know if these break in mileages were handled accordingly? What if this car was started and "thrown around" before it even warmed up? We don't know. I would not want this floating around in my head when the only feeling I should have is excitement and pleasure of buying a brand new corvette!
Old 08-05-2009, 06:45 PM
Jeffrey's Vette
Racer

Can you imagine if you were scrutinized this way at your job?
Hi,

If I knowingly and intentionally lie to a customer, then I would expect to be terminated.

The worst thing that will happen to my salesman is he temporarily loses my commission until he turns around and peddles this vehicle to someone else with your displayed spirit (sometimes people look at things differently when it is happening to them).

You stated you got better pricing than the local dealership so your already getting a deal.
The net difference (after shipping) is $1,400, which I am now glad to pay in order to inspect the vehicle beforehand (so, I know exactly what I am getting for my money) and get one with only 21 miles on the odometer (the one in my local dealer's showroom).

192 miles is really nothing... I mean REALLY nothing...
The following questions are sincere and not meant to be anything more than a comparison:

Are you willing to give your Vette, to a stranger, for a 192 mile joy ride? I'm sure there are some young guys, located very close to you, who would love to take you up on that kind offer. If you're not there, how will you know how the stranger treated your prized Vette?

Best regards,
Jeffrey

Last edited by Jeffrey's Vette; 08-05-2009 at 06:51 PM.
Old 08-05-2009, 06:54 PM
VettedCandidate
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Guys this is ,

This is like the first thread ever where I have to honestly say, shame on you. Can you imagine if you were scrutinized this way at your job? I mean come on... 192 miles.... its nothing, especially when cars today average easily over 100,000. Your sharp-shooting 192, thats crazy.

I would not harass this guy if this was a good deal. You stated you got better pricing than the local dealership so your already getting a deal. The car is still brand new.

Buy the car from him and be happy with your great deal. 192 miles is really nothing... I mean REALLY nothing...
TOTALLY DISAGREE...this really has to do with the dealer's honesty AND his willingness to work with you when you have an issue. The idea that the dealer would not document the actual miles on the car is total BS as is the idea that the OP was told it only had 50 mi. when it had 192. I'd back out.
Old 08-05-2009, 06:55 PM
bksnoopy
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jeffrey's Vette
Hi,

Upon reflection, I want to walk away from this deal regardless of price. I have no way to see this vehicle and no longer want to blindly trust this saleman's other statements about the condition of this $65k vehicle.

To recap:

1. I wired the dealership the money yesterday.

2. I have not signed anything. I received all the documents today and that's when I saw it had 192 miles.

So, can I legally demand my money back, within 48 hours of receipt, when I have not signed anything? I know with many large dollar purchases you have a "cool down" period at which you can legally back out before taking receipt of your purchase. What are my legal options?

Best regards,
Jeffrey
I agree with you. I would be very angry if that happened to me! If you can get your money back, I would start over.

The only thing that would change my mind is if the deal was unbeatable and I'm sure there is a better or equal deal somewhere.

Happy hunting,

Ben .. OH
Old 08-05-2009, 07:04 PM
bksnoopy
Drifting

Guys this is ,

I disagree .... If what this fourm member is saying is true, the dealer's salesman is sleazey and untrustworthy.

Ben, OH
Old 08-05-2009, 07:08 PM
Mblack
Instructor

I don't know how they do it out there. But when I bought my 350Z, which was new, they didn't have it at the dealership I was at and had to have a guy drive it over. When I finally got the car (I was alot more pissed about waiting 3 hours than I was that they were driving it over not trailoring it, which I didn't know til they got there) it had some 50-70 miles on it.

Maybe they were just driving it over to the dealer they ship it from. I can't imagine it's more than that. If it's a deal your not going to find anywhere else, just let it go and buy the car. If not walk away.
Old 08-05-2009, 07:09 PM
ron-z51
Instructor

Guys this is ,

I have to disagree, myself I would feel the same as the OP, 192 miles is a lot when you don't know how it's been driven. That would bother me as long as I owned the car. Like I posted earlier 192 miles is more than 3 hours of hwy driving. That's three hours of potencially being bagged the hell out of, that wouldn't bother you?

Originally Posted by AHW219
First of all Jeff is not comfortable therefore regardless of how we all feel it is irrelevant. If you are buying something brand new, especially 50K+ car you have certain expectations. If what is presented does not fulfill your expectations by all means walk away. There are MANY MANY more out there that you can buy that won't leave a bad after taste. IMO 192 miles on a brand new sports car is not a BS. That is approx 40% of break in period mileage. How do you know if these break in mileages were handled accordingly? What if this car was started and "thrown around" before it even warmed up? We don't know. I would not want this floating around in my head when the only feeling I should have is excitement and pleasure of buying a brand new corvette!
Exactly well put

Good luck getting your money back and finding another car Jeffery

Last edited by ron-z51; 08-05-2009 at 07:11 PM.
Old 08-05-2009, 07:10 PM
Excind
Racer

192 miles might not be a big deal to you Tbonez but to most of us it is. Even if and I mean IF it could be overlooked you cant overlook the fact that the saleman lied to him straight out! If Jeffery hadnt asked then that would be on him but he did several times! Run Jeffery! There is nothing but headache for you in this deal. If he lied about the mileage, what else has he or will he lie about?
If you havent signed anything you should be good. Dont let them pressure you into proceeding if you dont want to.
Old 08-05-2009, 07:15 PM
ron-z51
Instructor

Originally Posted by Excind
192 miles might not be a big deal to you Tbonez but to most of us it is. Even if and I mean IF it could be overlooked you cant overlook the fact that the saleman lied to him straight out! If Jeffery hadnt asked then that would be on him but he did several times! Run Jeffery! There is nothing but headache for you in this deal. If he lied about the mileage, what else has he or will he lie about?
If you havent signed anything you should be good. Dont let them pressure you into proceeding if you dont want to.
It makes you question more than the mileage as well. Has it been dinged and repair during this period? any paint chips that shouldn't be there? is it clean inside, outside, underside? When I buy a new car I want ever nook and cranny including the underside spotless. Did it see periods of hard braking before the brakes are even broken it?

Run away from this one Jeff, Run...

Last edited by ron-z51; 08-05-2009 at 07:40 PM.
Old 08-05-2009, 07:16 PM
gatti-man
Melting Slicks

Received 62 Likes on 34 Posts

It's your money. You just spent 1400 more for 170 less miles on a caddy. I would not have done the same.
Old 08-05-2009, 07:36 PM
Jeffrey's Vette
Racer

Originally Posted by gatti-man
It's your money. You just spent 1400 more for 170 less miles on a caddy. I would not have done the same.
Hi,

IMO, I'm getting much more than that for my $1,400. I'm getting to see the car, in person, before I buy it. I'm getting to look at the condition of the interior, exterior, etc. I will not have to be concerned about transporting a car from Michigan to Texas. To the best of my knowledge, I will be buying the car from a dealership which has been honest and truthful to me. Most importantly.... I'm getting peace of mind and doing business with someone I feel good about! I'm paying 2% more for a vehicle that I will not always wonder about.

Best regards,
Jeffrey

Last edited by Jeffrey's Vette; 08-05-2009 at 07:41 PM.
Old 08-05-2009, 07:46 PM
z06Bigbird
Safety Car

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike02Z
Absolutely. I would raise holy hell if it was me. I'd probably walk and disclose the dealers name and this story everywhere. I HATE being lied to, especially by dealers.
It is ok for customers to lie, but (like you), I get bent out of shape when dealers lie.

My dealer does not have a problem with lying. He says it is part of his job--as opposed to a customer who lies. He says the customer has absolutely no reason or excuse to lie. lol
Old 08-05-2009, 08:00 PM
Macbeth182
Advanced

Guys this is ,

Hop in your vette and drive 192 miles and let us know if it doesn't seem far.
Old 08-05-2009, 08:09 PM
bksnoopy
Drifting

Originally Posted by Macbeth182
Hop in your vette and drive 192 miles and let us know if it doesn't seem far.

Better yet, hop in your CTS-V and run street light to street light testing the power of the ZR1. 192 miles of hot rodding! (or test driving, as the dealer would say)

Old 08-05-2009, 08:23 PM
ssv3
Burning Brakes

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

Why would it bother me? One word i have is WARRANTY. It's no big deal enjoy the car. I know we're passionate about buying and enjoying our cars but for a salesperson it's just another sale and they all lie. No biggie.
Old 08-05-2009, 08:25 PM
jschindler
Team Owner

Received 341 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by redzone
He lied to you,plain & simple.....

Even if your car was chosen for QC and gone over with a fine tooth comb there's no way they put 192 miles on it.

Someone(probably a sales manager) decided to drive the car some...and you have no way of knowing how it was driven,but I highly doubt he kept his foot out of it completely.

Unless they gave you a killer deal,I'd look elsewhere.
It's got 556 hp. We all know how it was driven - they drove the dog poop out of it.

Yes, it would have bothered me, but if everything was truly in new condition I probably would take the car anyway.......probably.
Old 08-05-2009, 08:40 PM
Revette
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 194 Likes on 78 Posts

I'm really curious to see how this resolves for you Jeffery. The miles on this car sound (to me) like it has been demo-ed more than a few times. I remember trying out a Seville STS back in '93 and the salesman telling me to "stand on it, it'll put up a good challenge to a Corvette".

Of course, I had to try it.

Get notified of new replies

To Would this bother you?

Old 08-05-2009, 08:50 PM
kev1n
Drifting

A CF forum dealer did the same bullsh*t with me on a vette- they said it was 20 miles, right as I was about the sign the contract sight unseen, but pictures were sent, i asked for a picture of the ODO just to be sure and it was 252 miles. I refused to do the deal and the sales manager called me to chew me out-I wasn't having any of that, they lied about the mileage and god knows what else they could have been lying about. They definitely are not the Corvette king in my book.

Point of this - a dealer is a dealer, doesn't matter if they are a sponser or not. Be sure to use commons sense with any dealer regardless of their status or not.
Old 08-05-2009, 09:08 PM
0Coastal Boot
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jeffrey's Vette
Hi,

I was looking for a CTS-V and found a preferred/recommended dealership on the Cadillac Forums. The dealership had better pricing than is available locally, so I agreed to the price. I asked how many miles were on the vehicle and the salesman said, "Zero". I said, "really, no miles at all?". The salesman replied, "well, there will be a few because GM does quality control drives at the factory". I replied, "a few, so you mean less than 10?". The salesperson said, "well, there could be more than that because they sometimes test them substantially and I've seen as many as 50, but we do not allow these vehicles to be demo'd and we have a demo model strictly for this purpose and your car has never been driven by us".

I wired the money yesterday and got the paperwork a couple minutes ago. The odometer disclosure form shows 192 miles. Would this bother you? If so, what would you do?

Thanks,
Jeffrey
Did you ask how many miles were on this particular car?
If I didn't ask this question it wouldn't bother me.
Enjoy your new Caddy.
Old 08-05-2009, 09:12 PM
gatti-man
Melting Slicks

Received 62 Likes on 34 Posts

You want the lowest price it comes with caveats. I'm sure there will be another buyer for that car in no time. Pay your premium to get piece of mind. 1400 could have paid for a deluxe detail, all new brakes and a night on the town.

Quick Reply: Would this bother you?