C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PAL - Iphone charging issue

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2009, 12:51 AM
kawal
Emerging Vendor

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
Default PAL - Iphone charging issue

In my review of aftermarket Ipod adapters, I found that some of them were not designed to charge the new generation of Ipods and Iphones. This is because the older Ipods used a 12 volt system and the new ones are charged with 5 volts.

But there are a number of charging adapters out there that work to convert the 12 volts to 5 volts, made just for the new Ipods and Iphones. Here is one:

http://www.discountcarstereo.com/detail.aspx?ID=1337

And another:

http://www.amazon.com/Scosche-Chargi...8843275&sr=8-1

But one owner just wrote to me and advised his new G3 Iphone will not charge with the PAL and the iS710 (Revolt). At this point we don't know whether it is just defective or whether there is an incompatibility for some reason.

Has anyone yet successfully charged a new generation Ipod or Iphone with the PAL and one of these charging adapters?

This would be very useful information for other owners.

Ray

Last edited by kawal; 07-29-2009 at 12:55 AM.
Old 07-29-2009, 01:21 AM
JJC5
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi Ray, I was concerned about this myself but another member posted to one of the PAL threads, I don't recall who right now, this exact issue. He also listed a website from Apple the lists the chargng protocol for each iPod. It seems as though some of the new iPods will in fact support Firewire therefore charge those iPods. For instance, the iPod Classic 120G, which I have does support Firewire. I plugged it into my wifes Mercedes that has a factory iPod adapter and it seemed to charge ok. My question is that if Firewire is 12V, won't it cause problems if the iPod is designed for 5V?
Old 07-29-2009, 02:38 AM
kawal
Emerging Vendor

Originally Posted by JJC5
Hi Ray, I was concerned about this myself but another member posted to one of the PAL threads, I don't recall who right now, this exact issue. He also listed a website from Apple the lists the chargng protocol for each iPod. It seems as though some of the new iPods will in fact support Firewire therefore charge those iPods. For instance, the iPod Classic 120G, which I have does support Firewire. I plugged it into my wifes Mercedes that has a factory iPod adapter and it seemed to charge ok. My question is that if Firewire is 12V, won't it cause problems if the iPod is designed for 5V?
It is my understanding (and of course I could be wrong) that the older Ipods (I remember seeing the list) used a 12 volt charging system and the newer ones use a 5 volt charging system. To my knowledge, the new ones simply will not charge unless the adapter is made to charge it. The charging adapters, like the iSimple and the Scosche, are supposed to change the charging system to 5 volts, but also be backwards compatible with the older 12 volt Ipods. I don't know how this is done electrically, just that it is supposed to work that way.

Since I don't have a new Iphone, I can't verify any of these work, unfortunately.

Ray
Old 07-29-2009, 03:18 AM
dbhajek
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My iphone 3GS looks to be charging on my Pal with the iS710.

I will make sure tomorrow.

Bud
Old 07-29-2009, 11:01 AM
CV-4606
Burning Brakes

My iphone is charging with an igo, with the ipod adapter. so far it seems to be ok.
Old 07-29-2009, 12:35 PM
BRU
Le Mans Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the heads-up.
Old 07-29-2009, 12:57 PM
jacques
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 1 Post

I tried an older IPod (40GB) and an iPhone 3G with an IS710 adapter cable. It worked for both. I had purcased two IS710's but one did not work. The supplier is sending me a new one.
Old 07-29-2009, 08:00 PM
dbhajek
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Update:

My PAL/IS710 is charging my IPhone.
Old 07-29-2009, 08:18 PM
Tom_Slick
Le Mans Master

Received 58 Likes on 32 Posts

I had the same problem with my LOCKPICK. With the adapter my iPhone charges while plugged up... Not GM/ the LOCKPICK's fault, blame Apple. They do stuff like(change hardware/ software) that to block out accessory vendors they don't pay a ransom(aka license fee) to them to hook things up to an iPod/ iPhone

Old 07-29-2009, 08:32 PM
danl72
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have not checked yet.
Old 07-29-2009, 08:50 PM
kawal
Emerging Vendor

It sounds like the iS710, and likely others that are similar, will charge the new Iphones with the PAL.

It also sounds like a few people have received some defective charging adapters as well. So it pays to check.

Ray
Old 07-29-2009, 09:10 PM
k7kz
What - me worry?
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by kawal
In my review of aftermarket Ipod adapters, I found that some of them were not designed to charge the new generation of Ipods and Iphones. This is because the older Ipods used a 12 volt system and the new ones are charged with 5 volts.

But there are a number of charging adapters out there that work to convert the 12 volts to 5 volts, made just for the new Ipods and Iphones. Here is one:

http://www.discountcarstereo.com/detail.aspx?ID=1337

And another:

http://www.amazon.com/Scosche-Chargi...8843275&sr=8-1

But one owner just wrote to me and advised his new G3 Iphone will not charge with the PAL and the iS710 (Revolt). At this point we don't know whether it is just defective or whether there is an incompatibility for some reason.

Has anyone yet successfully charged a new generation Ipod or Iphone with the PAL and one of these charging adapters?

This would be very useful information for other owners.

Ray
I have the GM PAL installed and used an IS710 ReVolt cable between it and my iPhone. It does charge the iPhone. My iPhone is a 3G.

Last edited by k7kz; 07-29-2009 at 09:17 PM.
Old 07-29-2009, 09:21 PM
FireRoc
Pro

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

I have the iSimple and it charges a new iPOD Classic (120 Gb). We tried an iPhone 3G and it did not charge. I have an iPhone 3GS coming and will try it once it is in my hot little hands (looks like a couple of weeks at this point)
Old 07-30-2009, 07:19 PM
JJC5
Safety Car

Originally Posted by FireRoc
I have the iSimple and it charges a new iPOD Classic (120 Gb). We tried an iPhone 3G and it did not charge. I have an iPhone 3GS coming and will try it once it is in my hot little hands (looks like a couple of weeks at this point)
Has anybody tried the PAL with a new iPod Classic to see if it charges without a charging adapter? There was a post a while ago that said that the Classic and a few others would charge.
Old 07-30-2009, 08:33 PM
Audiogeek
Advanced

Has anybody tried the PAL with a new iPod Classic to see if it charges without a charging adapter? There was a post a while ago that said that the Classic and a few others would charge.
for right now, It will not charge any of the 5 volt devices...

Last edited by Audiogeek; 07-30-2009 at 08:35 PM.
Old 07-30-2009, 08:43 PM
JJC5
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Audiogeek
for right now, It will not charge any of the 5 volt devices...
It seems as though there are a few updates for the PAL to follow. Will there be any trade-in/upgrade program for those that purchased at the beginning?
Old 07-30-2009, 08:55 PM
k7kz
What - me worry?
Support Corvetteforum!

Yes, I have and it does. I have used an 80 GB unit and a newer 160 GB unit and both charge just fine without any adapters.
Old 07-30-2009, 09:02 PM
JJC5
Safety Car

Originally Posted by k7kz
Yes, I have and it does. I have used an 80 GB unit and a newer 160 GB unit and both charge just fine without any adapters.
Thanks for the info. I heard that so I tried my 120GB Classic on my wife’s Mercedes that has no charging adapter and it appeared to charge. I'm installing the PAL this weekend. Audiogeek says no so I didn't think it would on the PAL.

Get notified of new replies

To PAL - Iphone charging issue

Quick Reply: PAL - Iphone charging issue