C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Worst dealer nominee!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2009, 03:16 AM
bapd77
Safety Car

Received 418 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by TBD
This supplements my "window indexing" thread earlier today...

Shaffer Chevrolet in western Maryland flat out stated they WILL NOT handle warranty issues on a vehicle NOT purchased from them. This was an "in person" notification provided by one of their service advisors today (7/27/09) at approximately 1130, EDT.

My problem is manageable and will be addressed but one must pity a family driving their Impala cross country and find it overheating in the mountains of Maryland.

GM was advised and their rep was seemingly appalled; I await the resolution...and there WILL be a resolution.

The sheer arrogance of Shaffer Chevrolet's management and staff if disturbing. That dealership should be terminated by GM.

Peace, out.
I dont know if they have the option to refuse service to warrantied GM vehicles, but it SHOULD NOT be allowed. If they are an authorized GM dealer, they should be REQUIRED to work on GM vehicles under warranty.

And some wonder why the car business is in the shape it's in. Another example of why the stereotype fits about car dealers trying only to sell a car and nothing else.
Old 07-28-2009, 06:00 AM
foremaw
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 114 Likes on 46 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12

Originally Posted by bapd77
I dont know if they have the option to refuse service to warrantied GM vehicles, but it SHOULD NOT be allowed.
They do have the option. This is not new nor is it necessarily related to the current situation with GM. Guys have reported this practice from time to time over the years. For some dealers, I'd guess its related to ensuring best/fastest service to buyer/customers rather than delaying their work for folks who didn't buy from them. Also, GM does not reimburse them for what ever bill they send in, the rates are set. For X warranty work, GM pays them X price. Any time/money they spend above that rate is on them.
Old 07-28-2009, 07:04 AM
stillcrazy
Burning Brakes

Received 194 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by Rocketmanwpb
I had a great experience at Lindsay Chevrolet in Alexandria, VA two years ago while on a long road trip. I noted an unusual volt meter reading and thought my alternator had failed. The service department got me right into the air conditioned service bay, called the shop manager up who put my car on the code reader and then another electronic device and determined I did not have any problems. I was on my way in 30 minuets.
I had a wheel and tire problem in northern va. Palone chevy went way above and beyond to help me get passed the problem,even delt with the insurance company. The problem is how many chevy dealers in the area have been give burn notices and who. I live in Calif now but was born and raised in northern VA and know all the dealers in the area.
Old 07-28-2009, 07:09 AM
Bck N Blk 94
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 99ssconv
They are independtly owned and do not have to work on things they don't want to. My old service manager who had ***** unlike the rest would not work on warranty vehicles if they sent in a bad survey to GM. Some people are just jerks and don't understand that when you burn a dealer on a survey they can tell you where not to bring your car for warranty work.
That's ridiculous. The survey's are designed to help the dealers improve their customer satisfaction and ultimately customer retention. Obviously this service manager would rather get good ratings than customer satisfaction. And we wonder why GM is in trouble.

Last edited by Bck N Blk 94; 07-28-2009 at 07:12 AM.
Old 07-28-2009, 01:43 PM
Hardluck
Race Director

Received 36 Likes on 22 Posts

Bought my 08 auto used from a local used car dealer. Had to take mine in to the local dealer Capital Chevrolet 3 times for warranty items. Gave me outstanding service along with a rental car on two occasions where they kept it over night. Made it a point to ask for the head service manager so I could pass on my appreciation for their excellent service.
Old 07-28-2009, 01:53 PM
SanDiegoBert
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Rocketmanwpb
I had a great experience at Lindsay Chevrolet in Alexandria, VA two years ago while on a long road trip. I noted an unusual volt meter reading and thought my alternator had failed. The service department got me right into the air conditioned service bay, called the shop manager up who put my car on the code reader and then another electronic device and determined I did not have any problems. I was on my way in 30 minuets.

Wow, air conditioned service bays AND a dance floor !! I'm impressed.
Old 07-28-2009, 02:04 PM
markabc6
Racer

Odd.

Maybe they're doing you a favor?

Many moons ago...dealers would get dinged by the manufacturer for warranty work done on the unit that they sold, but was not the case for vehicles purchased elsewhere. It was financially in their best interest to "help a fella out" from out-of-town. (key word *if* the owner was truely from out-of-town )

With all the changes in the last few years, both dealer and manufacturer

g/l

Old 07-28-2009, 02:09 PM
YLOFEVR
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11

I brought my '06 Z51 coupe to Dudley Martin Chevrolet in Manassas, Virginia to set my tune to pass emissions (after LT's, CAI aftermarket). The charged me $250.--would ONLY set the tune to stock specs and then tried to lock it in. Consequently, the same code was thrown shortly after I left the dealership--preventing my car from passing emissions. Two days after I had brought it to them, I opened the hood and there was a BIG wad of chewed bubble gum sitting on my intake and had started to melt to it. The service advisor whom I spoke with seemed to have a gruff attitude, and overall--was very unaccommodating to me. I keep my car at my daughter's home (garaged) in Manassas--but I won't ever bring any car to this dealership again. I think it's only fair that you are advised about this.
Old 07-28-2009, 02:12 PM
djfullshred
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Bck N Blk 94
That's ridiculous. The survey's are designed to help the dealers improve their customer satisfaction and ultimately customer retention. Obviously this service manager would rather get good ratings than customer satisfaction. And we wonder why GM is in trouble.
It happens with other brands. The worst ever for me was Toyota dealership. I found a hole in the back of the seat in my brand new vehicle I bought from them, but only noticed it after I got home. Instead of dealing with it staright away, they gave me the runaround, didn't return calls, and basiclly try to avoid the issue.

So here is the funny part - they called me to remind me to give them a good customer satisfaction survey report when Toyota follows up. But they still haven't addressed the issue. When Toyota calls, I give them a lousy satisfaction report. A week or two later, I get a call from the dealer sales manager. I am at first pleased, thinking he has finally reached out to take care of this issue that has turned into a month long battle with them. But noooo - this dude actually called me while I was at work to give me the business about the bad report I gave them. Yes, he actually called me to chew me out. Unbelievable arrogance.
Old 07-28-2009, 02:34 PM
C7-Beast
Safety Car

Received 331 Likes on 201 Posts

I guess my worst Chevy dealer experiences (which were not that bad) was with the now defunct Stockburger Chevrolet. I had a 2003 Blazer that I took there 3 times for the same issue. My brother was picking up my 2002 Z28 with me and he pumped gas in my Blazer and did not put the cap on right. I got a CEL and found the cap off. I tightened the cap but the CEL would not go out. Took it to Stockburger and they claimed to have fixed it. As soon as I drove off the lot the CEL came back on. Two more trips and they had replaced a bunch of parts and I still had the CEL. Finally, pissed off I bought a new gas cap and the light went out.

On another occasion with the same dealer I was about to sell my 1994 Z28 and I took it to Stockburger to have it detailed before taking pictures and putting it up on eBay. When I came to pick it up they said it was not ready and I waited around for 2 hours before getting the straight answer. The dealer had gotten the Opti wet and had to replace it! You would think a Chevy dealer would have known better. At least the new owner got a brand new Opti with the car

Stockburger recently closed due to the economy.
Old 07-28-2009, 02:54 PM
LOUSVETTE
NCM Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Look at post #20. Talk about being ripped off

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...hot-today.html
Old 07-28-2009, 03:00 PM
myron
Instructor

sanborn chevrolet in Lodi ca
Old 07-28-2009, 04:26 PM
Edmond
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 21 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike02Z
Stockburger recently closed due to the economy.
I don't think the economy had much to do about it. I would say the crappy way they ran their business is the reason why they closed.
Old 07-28-2009, 04:41 PM
Pecanman
Instructor

Tried to buy twice at SouthTowne Chevrolet in Newnan, Georgia (south of Atlanta) and no deal, but the Service Department is absolutely stellar. Have my assigned Service Writer and Technician. I will keep trying to buy there, just because of the Service Department.
Old 07-28-2009, 04:57 PM
TCW
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 245 Likes on 177 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-13,'16-'17, '19

I nominate West Chevrolet in Maryville, Tennessee as the worst dealer on the planet.

If they refuse to work on your Corvette consider yourself LUCKY!!!!

Tom
Old 07-28-2009, 05:05 PM
Gordon Shumway
Team Owner

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by TBD
This supplements my "window indexing" thread earlier today...

Shaffer Chevrolet in western Maryland flat out stated they WILL NOT handle warranty issues on a vehicle NOT purchased from them. This was an "in person" notification provided by one of their service advisors today (7/27/09) at approximately 1130, EDT.

My problem is manageable and will be addressed but one must pity a family driving their Impala cross country and find it overheating in the mountains of Maryland.

GM was advised and their rep was seemingly appalled; I await the resolution...and there WILL be a resolution.

The sheer arrogance of Shaffer Chevrolet's management and staff if disturbing. That dealership should be terminated by GM.

Peace, out.
OK, I'm straying a little off topic here, but the mountains of Maryland?
Old 07-28-2009, 05:33 PM
Shark Racer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 242 Likes on 201 Posts

Originally Posted by Gordon Shumway
I drove through some pretty aggressive foothills in Maryland, many moons ago.

Get notified of new replies

To Worst dealer nominee!!!!

Old 07-28-2009, 05:46 PM
Gordon Shumway
Team Owner

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Shark Racer
I drove through some pretty aggressive foothills in Maryland, many moons ago.
I hear ya. I drive through aggressive molehills all the time in Florida.
Old 07-28-2009, 06:29 PM
Y2K3CL-S
Burning Brakes

Take 68 west towards Cumberland, leaving 70 north as if you were headed for Breezewood. Some pretty severe inclines as you hit the peak near the Veterans memorial ... many cars and trucks don't maintain speed while in cruise control.
Old 07-28-2009, 06:34 PM
C7-Beast
Safety Car

Received 331 Likes on 201 Posts

I hear ya. I drive through aggressive molehills all the time in Florida.
How do the moles feel about that?

Quick Reply: Worst dealer nominee!!!!