C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

why no topless ZR1s, Z06s?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2009, 11:47 AM
GTengineer
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cclive
???
Which part don't you understand?

Edit: Maybe I am just causing confusion but what I meant to say was FRC like. Meaning the fixed roof and short rear window.

Last edited by GTengineer; 07-28-2009 at 11:55 AM.
Old 07-28-2009, 12:05 PM
talon90
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 153 Likes on 73 Posts
Tech Contributor
Cruise-In 11 Veteran
NCM Ambassador
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'10

Originally Posted by GTengineer
Which part don't you understand?

Edit: Maybe I am just causing confusion but what I meant to say was FRC like. Meaning the fixed roof and short rear window.
The confusion came when you said that you wished that GM would release a fixed roof C6 Z06 like the C5. What I read was you wish there was a fixed roof Z06 and we all knew that the C6 Z06 has a fixed roof meaning that you can't remove the roof panel.

I think what you were saying is you would like to see a notch back body style like the C5 Z06 has in place of the hatch back that the current Z06 has. The C5 Z06 was referred to as a FRC (fixed roof coupe) because when it was introduced it was intended to be a low cost, down and dirty version of the C5 with limited options that could be stripped down and outfitted as a race car. One of the features was that it was a coupe (not a roadster) with a fixed roof....ie...fixed roof coupe.
Old 07-28-2009, 12:13 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 435 Likes on 372 Posts

Yes, thats it. I too like the roofline of the C5 Z06, its one of my favorite things about my Vert. The shorter rear window and trunk lid are nice.
Old 07-28-2009, 12:21 PM
beden1
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by cclive
Yes, thats it. I too like the roofline of the C5 Z06, its one of my favorite things about my Vert. The shorter rear window and trunk lid are nice.
But, then you give up great storage space for items like golf clubs, suit cases, etc., etc.

That's why I didn't buy a C5ZO6, because it had no storage.
Old 07-28-2009, 12:24 PM
Dave@Ciocca
Platinum Supporting Dealership

Received 1,656 Likes on 393 Posts

Back in 2006, I believe Corvette team took the roof out of a Z06 and put the car out on the track. Not only was car next to impossible to control because of the amount of flex, they have a very difficult time getting the roof back in. Do that a few times and you'll probably end up with a car with frame damage.
Old 07-28-2009, 12:26 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 435 Likes on 372 Posts

Originally Posted by beden1
But, then you give up great storage space for items like golf clubs, suit cases, etc., etc.

While the fastback may have slightly more space, I have had two golf bags in my Vert trunk many times, and just had two in a buddy's '03 Z06 yesterday. I leave my clubs in the trunk all summer.
Old 07-28-2009, 12:38 PM
GTengineer
Intermediate

Originally Posted by talon90
The confusion came when you said that you wished that GM would release a fixed roof C6 Z06 like the C5. What I read was you wish there was a fixed roof Z06 and we all knew that the C6 Z06 has a fixed roof meaning that you can't remove the roof panel.

I think what you were saying is you would like to see a notch back body style like the C5 Z06 has in place of the hatch back that the current Z06 has. The C5 Z06 was referred to as a FRC (fixed roof coupe) because when it was introduced it was intended to be a low cost, down and dirty version of the C5 with limited options that could be stripped down and outfitted as a race car. One of the features was that it was a coupe (not a roadster) with a fixed roof....ie...fixed roof coupe.
You would be correct sir. I have the bad habit of assuming people will understand my ramblings

Originally Posted by beden1

Different cars for different uses I suppose I never carry anything in my C5Z, I don't even like having junk in my glove box

Last edited by GTengineer; 07-28-2009 at 12:41 PM.
Old 07-28-2009, 01:03 PM
Randude12
Instructor

Originally Posted by designerRob
why no topless ZR1s, Z06s?

The owners don't want there toupees to fly off. I kid...I kid
Haha! Good one.

I actually like the design lines of the hardtop better. There is less wind and rain noise and better insulation. Stick your head out the window a couple seconds if you have too... but keep your tongue in...
Old 07-28-2009, 03:53 PM
CMY SIX
Safety Car

Received 104 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by PJRed2008
I guess that would depend on whether the buyer had the knowledge to make structual design decisions on how to make the car

Wow, that would be a zoo as most can't even decide on what kind of wax to use...
yea.. without 150 post's and poll's
Old 07-28-2009, 04:52 PM
SanDiegoBert
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by CMY SIX
yea.. without 150 post's and poll's
. . . and extraneous apostrophes.
Old 07-28-2009, 05:00 PM
djfullshred
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Migs08
I asked this on the ZR1 forum as well.

How many C6 drivers wish the Z06 and/or ZR1 were offered with a removable top?

How about a convertible Z06 or ZR1?

I understand the intent of the non-removable top-- improve structural rigidity. I just wish GM would let the buyer decide if that's more important than being able to go top down. JMHO.

At least the 2010 GS is offered as a vert!
I don't think it would be wise to let customer's have an option delete to structural rigidity. If they want to go vert with these machines, they need to design them to ensure they are not compromised without having a roof, not just delete the roof that serves a structural function.
Old 07-28-2009, 08:25 PM
ohmy
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by NOCRISIS
could care less about a removable top,imop,wish they had a fixed roof reg coupe,

Originally Posted by deecount
I think a better question is "Why doesn't GM offer the coupe with a fixed roof?"

I know that would have been the very first option on my checklist.

Quick Reply: why no topless ZR1s, Z06s?