C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 ZP and Eagle F1s Compared at Spring Mountain

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2009, 12:57 PM
AREA-Z51
Navigator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 ZP and Eagle F1s Compared at Spring Mountain

Hey all. Last week I got the amazing chance to drive C6s (both base and Z06) at Ron Fellow's driving school at Spring Mountain as part of a Michelin-sponsored tire test. Michelin was demonstrating its new-ish Pilot Sport PS2 ZP run-flat tires. It was a pretty cool event as I got to drive Vettes back-to-back that were fitted with the stock Goodyear Eagle F1 Supercar EMTs and then with the PS2 ZPs.

I was invited to the event because, well, I'm an automotive journalist for Edmunds.com. You can read my official coverage here.

Of course, it was particularly cool to go to this event since I own a 2008 C6 coupe.

If you don't want to read my whole Edmunds writeup, here's a recap. But first, two notes: 1) These are just my subjective opinions as there was no instrumented testing performed; 2) This was a Michelin event, so of course they designed it to put their tires in the best light.
  • Basic dry-pavement grip is pretty similar for the stock F1 Supercar EMTs and the Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 ZPs. The ZPs probably have a bit of an edge here.
  • Wet pavement traction (cornering and braking) is significantly better with the PS2 ZPs than it is with the F1s.
  • For me, the most helpful improvement is the better road feel and at-the-limit adhesion that the ZPs provide as compared to the F1s. On the street, this isn't a significant issue, but if you're on a racetrack (or you're driving really aggressively on a canyon road), having the Michelins provides gives you more confidence about what the car is doing.
  • Regular PS2 versus PS2 ZP: Ride quality is better with regular PS2s as compared to the PS2 ZPs. But it's not a huge difference. Wet-weather traction is significantly better with the regular PS2s, though.
  • One thing lacking was a good chance to evaluate ride quality. So I can't say which tire, the F1 or the PS2 ZP, has a more compliant ride. For what it's worth, if you ask Michelin, they'll say the ZPs.
  • Pilot Sport Cup tires: Amazing! I didn't report this in my Edmunds coverage because it wasn't really applicable. But Michelin fitted up some Z06s with Cup tires. (Note that there isn't a specific match for the Z06's front tire, so Michelin went with a 265/35ZR18 Cup tire (stock fitment is 275/35ZR18). Basically, it's a Pilot PS2 turned up to "11," It really helped the Z06 feel less skittish.
  • PS2 ZP fitments for the Z06 finally come out next month.

Some other interesting tidbits:
  • Michelin invited some tuners out for the event, including Callaway, Hennessey, Specter and Pratt & Miller. I didn't get too involved since tuner cars don't really apply to Edmunds, but I did have an interesting conversation with Reeves Callaway on what his thoughts were on why the Corvette doesn't communicate as well as some other cars. In short, he said alignment and shock tuning were two big contributors.
  • Got to ride along with Ron Fellows for a few laps in a ZR1. Really nice guy. And there's little that's more humbling than thinking you're a pretty decent driver and then going out for laps with someone like Ron Fellows. I uploaded a 1-minute in-car video of Ron driving on YouTube.
  • Ron's school seems pretty well put together. They keep their cars almost completely stock to replicate the ownership experience, so it could be especially interesting to go to if you own a Vette. I just wish they'd keep that in mind but still ditch the stock seats. The outer side of my left knee was rubbed raw from trying to brace myself during the event.
Cheers!
Old 07-24-2009, 01:04 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,700 Likes on 1,214 Posts

Great post. I replaced the GY's on my C5 with Michelins and never looked back. I plan on going to the Michelins on my Z06.
Old 07-24-2009, 02:02 PM
L-Ray
Instructor

I'm guessing the noise level is lower on the PS2's than the GY's.
Old 07-24-2009, 02:18 PM
Blue Demon Owner
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Thank you!

I'm getting new rubber in 2 or 3 weeks and I have focused on the Michelin PS2 ZP's. Your post review and your article are extremely helpful and make me more sure of my decision.

Old 07-24-2009, 02:28 PM
rosemaryburm
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've had PS2 ZPs on for about 3 months -- F55 stock coupe. Tremendous improvement in sound. Although the GYs were replaced with plenty of mileage left on them, so I am not comparing worn out thread-bare GYs to nice new soft Ms, I don't know if the better road feel and wet grip I notice are due to the tire brand, or their newness. (GYs replaced because wheels and tires damaged in accident.)
Old 07-24-2009, 02:36 PM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by L-Ray
I'm guessing the noise level is lower on the PS2's than the GY's.
Lighter also plus lower noise. Like he said way better in the wet!
Old 07-24-2009, 03:50 PM
Poppy's Vette
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I run the PS2s (non run flats) and like them but more importantly, that video was such a disappointment! I wanted to see out the window. Were you trying to hide the fact you were recording? I'm just busting your chops. So cool to be able to ride with him. I would have paid for a ride!

I did get to meet him there though when he stopped by my car to admire "his" spoiler on my AO C6

That's short, balding & old me on Ron's right!
Old 07-24-2009, 03:55 PM
bradb
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07

I've got about 5K on a set of ZPs. My car is a daily driven '05 F55 MN6 vert, slightly modded. Part of the 5K is about 1200 miles of Dragon, Cherohala, Blue Ridge carving.

Bottom line, if you can afford the Michelin tax, get these tires. Major upgrade over the GY product. And that is that.
Old 07-24-2009, 04:04 PM
johnodrake

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,589 Likes on 1,626 Posts

Excellent. Thanks for sharing the info! He didn't go off in turn one there at the end, did he??
Old 07-24-2009, 05:54 PM
PCMusicGuy
Safety Car

Received 295 Likes on 222 Posts

Well I've been running the ZPs since November 08 and I have to say that wet weather traction is vastly better than the Supercars. They are also the quieter tire. Dry weather traction is not at all better, however. I would say the traction is equal in most respects but sometimes I find it easier to break the tires loose with the ZPs on dusty roads. Also, for driving on the street you can definitely feel that there is more flex in the sidewall than the Supercars. (not a bad thing but it depends on your driving style)
Old 07-24-2009, 06:17 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,485 Likes on 1,947 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Thanks for the info on the new Michelins (well, relatively new since they've been out a little while)! It's always good to read some independent reviews on tires. And it is also good to read of those who have switched tires, and go over the same roads with different (and new) tires for their comparative ride/handling/confidence ratings.

Just for the record, I now have about 17K miles on the front and about 1200 miles on the rears.

That's for a Z51-suspended, GY SC EMTs. Today, yesterday and the day before, I went thru rain, but today's was the big one. Really big, so much, that I finally had to pull over for visibility reasons and wait it out.

I felt no lack of confidence in the Goodyears, either front or rear, and we know that in braking situations, the fronts (with 17K miles+) do much of the work.

And this isn't the first time with the Goodyears in hard rain, at highway speeds. The last time was with about 6K miles on the original set, and in Florida's usual, torrential downpours--3 of them during one day. And no lack of confidence in how they felt, or how they gripped the road. But that's just my experiences with them, admittedly.
Old 07-24-2009, 08:59 PM
Mike's LS3
Safety Car

Received 734 Likes on 474 Posts

I had the PS2's non run flat on a previous car. I had the Supercars and currently the PS2 ZP's on my 08 Z51 corvette coupe. The PS2 ZP's are very similar to the Supercars in dry traction. The most significant difference between the two tires is the ZP's connection with the road. The ZP's allow you to feel more confident when driving near the limit because you can feel its limitation. The Supercar's feel numb and lack the communication between steering and the road. This numb feel reduces the drivers confidence, especially when pushing at the limit. Both tires are great handling tires, but the ZP's provide more road feel and driving confidence.
As far as wet traction, I will find out this winter. Every review I have read favored the ZP's.

Last edited by Mike's LS3; 07-25-2009 at 02:50 AM.
Old 07-24-2009, 11:10 PM
AREA-Z51
Navigator

Originally Posted by johnodrake
Excellent. Thanks for sharing the info! He didn't go off in turn one there at the end, did he??
No, Ron actually had to slow down due to another car ahead of him.
Plus, it was freaky hot out there, like 110-115 degrees. Just after a couple laps the water temp was pegged. As for the video, I shot it on a whim and didn't want to be a distraction -- sometimes race car drivers don't like loose items in the cabin like a hand-held camera (and understandably so!).
Old 07-25-2009, 12:14 AM
drlndrve
Advanced

How often is Ron out there at his own school?
Old 07-25-2009, 01:11 AM
socalspringmountain
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 418 Likes on 186 Posts

Brent,

Nice write-up. I hope you enjoyed your time at Spring Mountain.

Ken

The Official Performance Driving School Of Corvette
www.racespringmountain.com
victor@racespringmountain.com
800-391-6891

Old 07-25-2009, 01:44 AM
C6400hp
Safety Car

Location: DFW This user does not support or recommend the product or service displayed in the ad to the right
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by AREA-Z51
I just wish they'd keep that in mind but still ditch the stock seats. The outer side of my left knee was rubbed raw from trying to brace myself during the event.[/LIST]Cheers!
And those here that have never driven their car in a "performance setting" still cannot understand why some of us hate the stock seats.
Old 07-25-2009, 02:24 AM
0HennesseyPerformance
Former Vendor

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

This was a very nice event. Spring Mountain Motorsports Park is one of the most impressive track facilities that I have ever had the opportunity to visit. Combined with Ron Fellows, Corvettes (including the ZR1) and Michelin tires, Spring Hill is a huge asset to all car enthusiasts. If you get a chance to go to their driving school you should go!

I will be going back again sometime soon.
Old 07-25-2009, 10:02 AM
ALVetteFan
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks for the write up.

Get notified of new replies

To Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 ZP and Eagle F1s Compared at Spring Mountain

Quick Reply: Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 ZP and Eagle F1s Compared at Spring Mountain