C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tail of the Dragon

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2009, 11:56 AM
sox3
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tail of the Dragon

My son and I are going to Bowling Green for the Factory Tour in October and on the way home I was thinking about driving the Tail of the Dragon. I have heard its a nice drive. Can anyone tell me where to start, some do's and dont's, opinions, etc.
Thanks
Old 07-23-2009, 12:13 PM
markabc6
Racer

http://www.tailofthedragon.com/

Watch for big trucks and <some> people using all of the road.

Police used to patrol it regularly...can't say about currently.

Try to hit it at the middle of the week (weekends are usually crowded)

Have fun...stay safe...enjoy

PS...and have passenger take Dramamine for the corners...there are a lot of them, and constantly changing direction

Last edited by markabc6; 07-23-2009 at 12:16 PM. Reason: PS
Old 07-23-2009, 12:22 PM
h2oskiman
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Did the dragon last oct on a sunday morning.It was a great ride. Incountered one leo he had a bike stopped.It's hard to enjoy the the views you have to pay so much attention to the road.It is a great ride in the vet.Stopped a couple of times to let slower traffic get ahead.I will do it again sometime I think a secound time would be so much better.You can pick up 129 off 75 in knoxville Have fun enjoy
Old 07-23-2009, 12:24 PM
Mark Ducati
Pro

Do's and Dont's?

DON'T do this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ubE5mj-RR10

Or this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ggtQZDUI2Pc

Last edited by Mark Ducati; 07-23-2009 at 12:58 PM.
Old 07-23-2009, 12:32 PM
08Roadster
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Watch out for the police....it was well patrolled the day we drove it. ENJOY - it's a fun ride.
Old 07-23-2009, 12:47 PM
goatts
Safety Car

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Resist the temptation to go fast so you don't slide off the mountain (go to the track if you want to go fast). Great drive. Definitely worth the side trip.
Old 07-23-2009, 12:49 PM
SimonStern
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Head toward the town of Alcoa from Bowling green, then head to route 129, it's a little bit of a run to get to the actual Dragon from there, but it's one of the nicer approaches (IMHO.) It's also the easiest to find.

Don't try it at night the first time, if you get out of BG late (and you will) stop in Alcoa and proceed through the Dragon during the day.

DON'T CROSS THE CENTER LINE.

Keep the shiney side up.

When you go past the photographers, slow down a little they will take more pictures. No one can tell how fast you are going from the still pics.

I don't remember all the photographers there, but I remember killboy.com (the original.)

Once you get through the dragon, stop at Deal's Gap for some souviners and maybe something to eat, depending on time. They usually try to reserve the gas in their pumps for bikes and may not let you fill up, so top off in Alcoa no matter what.

You can get a map of the area in Deal's Gap, or Fontana Village (further up Rt 28 from Deal's Gap.) If you have the time, be sure to hit the Cherohalla Skyway.

Enjoy! I took my car from BG to the Dragon, and that was "on my way" home to the Chicago area. The pic in my sig is one of Killboy's
Old 07-23-2009, 12:59 PM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,932 Likes on 4,812 Posts

That was nasty although it did not look like he was really going that fast and out of control. I guess it is best to not under estimate the power and over estimate your skills.
Originally Posted by Mark Ducati
Do's and Dont's?

DON'T do this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ubE5mj-RR10
Old 07-23-2009, 01:10 PM
Mark Ducati
Pro

Active Handling saved my butt once! All it took was one time for my rear to pucker to slow me down.
Old 07-23-2009, 03:15 PM
Rednblack
Pro

Originally Posted by SimonStern
Head toward the town of Alcoa from Bowling green, then head to route 129, it's a little bit of a run to get to the actual Dragon from there, but it's one of the nicer approaches (IMHO.) It's also the easiest to find.

Don't try it at night the first time, if you get out of BG late (and you will) stop in Alcoa and proceed through the Dragon during the day.

DON'T CROSS THE CENTER LINE.

Keep the shiney side up.

When you go past the photographers, slow down a little they will take more pictures. No one can tell how fast you are going from the still pics.

I don't remember all the photographers there, but I remember killboy.com (the original.)

Once you get through the dragon, stop at Deal's Gap for some souviners and maybe something to eat, depending on time. They usually try to reserve the gas in their pumps for bikes and may not let you fill up, so top off in Alcoa no matter what.

You can get a map of the area in Deal's Gap, or Fontana Village (further up Rt 28 from Deal's Gap.) If you have the time, be sure to hit the Cherohalla Skyway.

Enjoy! I took my car from BG to the Dragon, and that was "on my way" home to the Chicago area. The pic in my sig is one of Killboy's
This says it all - making the first run with the C6 in September - last time was with the C5 - excited about seeing the difference.
Old 07-23-2009, 03:20 PM
Ron one
Racer

Received 54 Likes on 20 Posts

Default One of the best drives. Not the only one

The "Tail" is as great as the publicity but the publicity is the problem. Crotch rockets have little regard for others and on the Tenn. side the Troopers can be overwhelming. I recommend going in the middle of the week. In October the secenery is as spectacular as the road is thrilling.

If you enter 129 from the Tenn. side continue towards Robbinsville & look for the signs for the Cherahola Skyway, another beautiful drive but not challenging. It will take you back to Telico Plains, Tn.

If you can find a local map look up the "Mountain Waters Byway", it is well worth the effort and not as crowded as the "Tail".

Enjoy!!!!!
Old 07-23-2009, 03:31 PM
alamike
Burning Brakes

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

Also, ride the Hellbender http://www.hellbender28.com/, if you have time. It is worth spending a couple days in the area. I try to go to the Fontana/Natahala area at least a couple times a year. In October, the leaves should be changing.
Old 07-23-2009, 03:57 PM
mvcrash
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I did the Alcoa stop over night and hit the trail early in the morning. t was desolate and cool.

Pics from the ride:

Old 07-23-2009, 04:06 PM
RACN1320
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The TOTD is a great drive, don't push to hard though it is a very unforgiving road.
Old 07-23-2009, 04:15 PM
ToRedVettes
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Just remember one thing: Depending on how hard you push, it's tougher on the passenger than on the driver.
Old 07-23-2009, 04:22 PM
2kvetmy
Pro

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

go to the website and look at all the info

also, if you happen to crash: nail a piece to the nearest tree !!!!
Old 07-23-2009, 05:26 PM
orca1946
Le Mans Master

Received 456 Likes on 342 Posts

Cool place if you don't get stupid.They have a tree of shame for all the offed parts !!!

Get notified of new replies

To Tail of the Dragon

Old 07-23-2009, 05:50 PM
TexasC6
Racer

definitely worth the drive...it is 318 curves in 11 miles...dont cross the yellow line or you could have a bike on your hood.

took a trip there last month and really a great time.

MAP

Old 01-06-2013, 02:03 PM
Johnnyduc916
Intermediate

This is what you need, a 2001 S2K I bought it new when I sold Honda's One owner with a few goodies>> K&N filter, plugs and a Sub/ amp IN THE TRUNK. The black top is never in the sun, rain or snow!
Engine/Drivetrain Modifications: New clutch and brakes last summer
Suspension Modifications: This car is HONDA fine art. It is perfect from the factory anyway.. and it's all clean and in super good shape!
Wheels/Tires Modifications: Stock wheels with good tires, yet tire modifications would be a plus... any ideas?
Interior/Exterior Modifications: The drivers seat is the only one to get used. If I dont sell it I want a racing seat for my birthday `_`
Future Modifications: TRADE FOR CORVETTE
ANY COLOR AS LONG AS AT'S RED
This car books for 13,000 ish and I have more money and good credit. So if you or anyone you know has a RED RAG TOP C6 and wants a Little Red RAG Top... I can make a DEAL
PS It's good on GAS and you still gun it and it just loves that. Thanks to the V-Tech power band 6 to 9 grand is a real good time, TRUST ME..
Old 01-06-2013, 02:41 PM
Steve_R
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,291 Likes on 1,400 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

You realize this thread is 3 1/2 years old, right?

And your reply has nothing to do with the thread topic.

Quick Reply: Tail of the Dragon