C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What a (not) fun day in the vette.

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2009, 11:16 PM
Licit
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default What a (not) fun day in the vette.

Heading from work today I spun the tires a little since my manager was outside, all in fun and not some huge burn out. Halfway home I notice some little white truck tailing me. He followed me for a few miles and finally when I made a left turn he went straight. But he chose to yell something out as he passed by, couldn't tell what, just that the f bomb was in there. It was nothing to do with work because I saw him turn off of a side street before he was behind me tailing. I could only assume it was one of these guys that think vette drivers are a-holes or that we have a chip on our shoulder or something. I was able to let it go moments after. A little bit ago I get to work and a co-worker tells me that a director called my manager saying someone living near my work called and said a corvette had done a burnout today. I guess my manager didn't have much time to discuss it with the director and I didn't hear anything except what my co-worker told me. I could not believe some pathetic idiot called my company about tires screeching for literally one second. It was in my works driveway not on a public street. I just can't stand crap like this anymore and wonder when so many people became such a big bunch of ******. I feel like both situations were because it was a corvette I was driving. Had I been in something like a BMW 3 series or Infinit G37 I swear it would have been different. I'm sure I will get written up for it and may end up on probation as well. The one friggin time I gas it around work, ughhh!!!
Old 07-17-2009, 11:30 PM
DSOMvette
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Sounds like your white truck guy needs to get a life.
Old 07-17-2009, 11:33 PM
Vette Suspension
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DSOMvette
Sounds like your white truck guy needs to get a life.
Old 07-17-2009, 11:35 PM
inthehunt2
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I feel for you.

One thought... Technically and legally, if you did a burn out in an area zoned as industrial (I don't know where you work), you have no legal fears. I know this as I once was calibrating an off-road race truck one night and had the neighbors pissed-off because of the noise. Luckily, I was in a parking lot of a business zoned as industrial and the police had no legal recourse because of the zoning.
Old 07-17-2009, 11:41 PM
cthusker
Le Mans Master

Received 91 Likes on 54 Posts

Yes it's unfortunate but some folks take an extremely dim view of a little tire smoke! Unless someone at work is willing to "sell you out" how is anyone going to prove it was your vette? Perhaps your "clutch" hung up and caused a problem? Many things could have happened to cause a little tire smoke...

Bottom line don't to it around work period. To many BAD things can happen and you never know who is watching..... Good luck and hope you don't get written up!
Old 07-17-2009, 11:47 PM
redvet
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What the world has sadly come to.

Back in the '60s, you would have received cheers, clapping, and even some good-hearted envy.

Political correctness is KILLING us.
Old 07-17-2009, 11:49 PM
Wah
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

If you would have done it on public road, nobody can complain to your superior(s).
Old 07-18-2009, 12:37 AM
SanDiegoBert
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Wah
If you would have done it on public road, nobody can complain to your superior(s).
You said you did it in the driveway where you work. Not a good place to do a burnout. People can blame the business. Not so on a public street. They can just complain.
Old 07-18-2009, 12:41 AM
Licit
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by cthusker
Yes it's unfortunate but some folks take an extremely dim view of a little tire smoke! Unless someone at work is willing to "sell you out" how is anyone going to prove it was your vette? Perhaps your "clutch" hung up and caused a problem? Many things could have happened to cause a little tire smoke...

Bottom line don't to it around work period. To many BAD things can happen and you never know who is watching..... Good luck and hope you don't get written up!
It was such a small amount of spin there wasn't even smoke. I wish I would have just lit them up so there was a giant plume of smoke surrounding the car. One of those things where you can't believe somebody was offended, a Prius could have probably matched the spin I got.
Luckily it had rained last night and I was going to use the clutch slipping reasoning combined with somewhat wet pavement. Our site is small enough that everyone will know it is me. I am on good terms with my manager so he will most likely state the same reasoning.

Originally Posted by Wah
That's the problem is it's a residential site that houses clients with disabilities. I've had problems in the past at a different company when I had my 06 GTO. But there it was my headers/catless/bullet mufflers made "too much noise" for neighbors. That company said there was nothing they could do about my exhaust and the people should call the police if they felt it was warranted. I never heard from the police. This incident is truly sad because where I was in the driveway noone could even see me. They had to have heard it and then see me drive up the road.
I should mention that there were no clients or other people around or on site at the time. Just myself and the manager, that's what makes it so lame that somebody called the company's home office. I can understand if clients had been near my car it would be a safety thing, but nope.
Old 07-18-2009, 12:50 AM
spin-doktor
Drifting

Really SMOKE EM UP BIG TIME next time. Just to make a point that you dont give a rats *** what they say. Let them whine all they want.
Old 07-18-2009, 01:03 AM
Steven79
Racer

Originally Posted by spin-doktor
Really SMOKE EM UP BIG TIME next time. Just to make a point that you dont give a rats *** what they say. Let them whine all they want.

This same situation happened to me once before.. I grabbed a buddy, a camera and made a "video" of me doing donuts and burnouts..

Had a blast, and heard only "wow that was bada$$" type of comments the next day.
Old 07-18-2009, 01:08 AM
m48xhp
Melting Slicks

Received 211 Likes on 80 Posts

confront your boss about it before they come to you.
Old 07-18-2009, 01:09 AM
3LZZ06
_"SCOTT"_
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by redvet
What the world has sadly come to.

Back in the '60s, you would have received cheers, clapping, and even some good-hearted envy.

Political correctness is KILLING us.

But make no mistake...it's not the world, it's our wonderfully legally goverened United States...
Old 07-18-2009, 01:26 AM
lstorm2003
Racer

Someone called your company to compain cuz u did a little burn-out!#@$??? What a f@g!!!! LMAO!

People really do need to get a life and mind their own damn business... Here, look at this, I did this in the parking lot of my work... Its private property so f- anyone that wants to complain...

Ironically, the car I was driving in this video is a loaner car from Chevy cuz my Vette was in the shop for transmission problems... They gave me this P.O.S. therefore I chose to not really be terribly nice to it... lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vnaqpwBB_H0
Old 07-18-2009, 02:20 AM
eaglevette23
Intermediate

Someone was jealous..
Old 07-18-2009, 04:36 AM
Knob Jockey
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 208 Likes on 172 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Your boss should have asked for proof.
Old 07-18-2009, 06:39 AM
John Mclain
Racer

When your company brass won't stand behind one of their own you need to prepare yourself in case you get called into the Major's office

You were walking to your Vette and unknowing stepped into a liquid substance, got it on your shoes.

When you were preparing to drive off the homework that you were carrying the on your on time adda boy company paperwork slipped off of your lap, causing your foot to slip off of the clutch.

If you have an Auto, claim that your foot slipped off the brake and onto the gas.

Ask who the grounds person was that day, and how to file a claim for W\C because your neck hurts from the "unexpected acceleration" after your foot slipped.

When you get back to work try to find out who the RAT was and for several days straight leave pieces of cheese in his locker or work area.

Get notified of new replies

To What a (not) fun day in the vette.

Old 07-18-2009, 06:53 AM
divitasbluepitbulls
Pro

Get me the guys name in the white truck and make sure your home between 10:00pm and 11:00pm so you have an alibi,
Old 07-18-2009, 07:45 AM
LTC Z06
Get Some!

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 64 Likes on 44 Posts

That sucks, I guess I've had good luck, never had a negative incident because of the Vette.
Old 07-18-2009, 07:52 AM
vettenut
Burning Brakes

KY Events Coordinator

Default Tire smoke

Next time do 4500 RPM and dump the clutch to give them something to see!

Quick Reply: What a (not) fun day in the vette.